image-875.jpg
image.jpg
help.jpg
Fuses.jpg
image-399.jpg
image-294.jpg
IMG_0053-584.JPG
IMG_0057.JPG
There are 135 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 9 years ago

I've asked for help with my problem child JP before, but now I'm stuck again and need to know where to look or if it's time to give up and find someone else to work on it.

Long story short, I got my JP in June 2012, and occasionally since then it would not boot up properly. I'd get GI lights and a dino roar noise, but no DMD or anything else. I'd turn it off and back on, which usually fixed the problem. June 2014 I went to turn it on and there was a loud POP followed by smoke out of the backbox down into the playfield. I turned it off immediately, and husband later found the power board had blown a capacitor. We got a new RottenDog power supply at the Atlanta expo a short time later, and that seemed to fix things.

About 3 weeks ago I went to play it, and it wouldn't boot up properly again. I'd turn it off, then back on, and after a couple of times that usually worked and it would boot up. And now that off/on trick isn't working at all, and I've got an expensive paperweight.

At some point between replacing the power supply and it dramatically dying, I realized the shaker motor was no longer working, and assumed that it was a fuse situation from when the power supply blew. I was going to work on it, but then it stopped working completely, so that never got fixed.

I don't know whether to start checking fuses for the main problem of it not booting, or if it's beyond that now and I need another CPU/processor/? board, or if there's an issue with the new power board. I'm "board stupid" so please remember that and talk to me like I'm five years old. lol

I appreciate any help I can get, and thanks in advance.

#2 9 years ago

So, the power supply board has been replaced in the past? Was it replaced with an original working board or a rottendog replacement?

#3 9 years ago

When I got it, it had all original boards. Then this June the power supply messed up (pretty sure he said a capacitor blew) and we replaced it with a new RottenDog power supply.

Every other board in it now is original except the RottenDog power supply we put in in June.

#4 9 years ago

Are you getting +5v LED lit and staying lit on the CPU? If not, and it's a new rottendog board, there could be an issue with cracked/cold solder joints or burnt connector on CN1 and CN2 (the big connectors that bring power to the power driver board).

#5 9 years ago

You should check the +5v filter cap installed inside the cabinet to make sure you've got stable +5v to your MPU. Do you have a DMM?

#6 9 years ago

I know the LED lights on the CPU board come on and stay on when I switch it on, and I am almost positive it is the middle one and the far right one in the bank of 3 lights. I will check it as soon as I get home and report back. I did have a picture of it, but switched phones and didn't transfer the photos over.

If DMM is a multimeter, then yes, I've got one but haven't used it much. I can certainly figure out how though, and husband knows way more than I do so he'll be helping. Is the filter cap an obvious thing to find?

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

If DMM is a multimeter, then yes, I've got one but haven't used it much. I can certainly figure out how though, and husband knows way more than I do so he'll be helping. Is the filter cap an obvious thing to find?

Absolutely. It is the giant hulking blue capacitor installed right onto the cabinet in the lower left.

images (1).jpgimages (1).jpg

When these go out of spec (which they do when they reach the age of 20+), the voltage ripple is enough to keep the MPU from booting, as it cannot maintain a solid +5v. The fact that you had to turn it on/off over and over suggests this could be your issue.

Take your Multimeter and set it on AC volts (not DC) and place a probe on either side of the metal leads of that capacitor while the game is on. You're looking for a number around .3vAC. Anything higher than that, and that cap is bad and needs to be replaced. Polarity for probing doesn't matter.

You should also measure the +5v test points on the MPU. Set your Multimeter on vDC, and place the black on the gnd test point loop and the red on the +5v test point loop located I believe in the top/middle of the MPU. Anything lower than 4.9vDC means you have issues elsewhere that are pulling down the voltage. Could be the smaller +5v filtering cap on the MPU.

#8 9 years ago

There should be + 5volt and 12 volt test points on the power driver board that you can quickly check with your Multimeter set to DC voltage. There should be a ground point on the board also. Not 100 percent sure about the rottendog boards.

#9 9 years ago

Thanks so much guys! I will work on it when I get home and see what I can find out. I appreciate the point in the right direction.

#10 9 years ago

Good luck, let us know what readings you get and we'll move on from there.

#11 9 years ago

So THAT'S WHY you agreed to moderate--FREE help desk! (you know i'm kidding) Don't worry--you'll get it figured out--but I certainly know how it feels to be TEMPORARILY stumped--we all do.....

#12 9 years ago

Actually Smokey, I got more help easier when I wasn't a mod. Lol

Well crap, I can't upload pics from my iPhone6 or iPad for some reason. We put the meter (Commercial Electric MAS830B, which doesn't show AC or DC on it) on the V~ side at 600 and got 037 on the big blue battery looking thing. Then we tested the CPU board on the little loops by the battery holder and got 004. He is currently taking the CPU board off to check it.

Edited because I had the #s backwards.

Middle and right LEDs were on showing +5v and PIA.

#13 9 years ago

This would be easier if I could load pics, but the area on the CPU that has the little white boxes at RA7 and RA8 is black on the back, to the point that the board behind it looks smoke damaged. The black chip above/left of RA8 looks toasted too. Sigh.

#14 9 years ago

Not being able to upload pics was one of the bugs fixed in iOS 8.01 - download that. I helped!

#15 9 years ago

My phone is running 8.0 but says I am up to date and doesnt give me the option to update. Hum... time to go ask my iHusband to fix it.

Thanks for the help!

#16 9 years ago

8.0.1 will break your cellular connection, so don't update yet! Lol.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

Absolutely. It is the giant hulking blue capacitor installed right onto the cabinet in the lower left.

That's a lamp voltage capacitor, it has nothing to do with the 5VDC logic rail. The cap to be concerned with for non-boot issues is located on the power supply board, it's an 18,000 mfd 25 volt capacitor at C4.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

8.0.1 will break your cellular connection, so don't update yet! Lol.

I didn't. iHusband said they pulled the update for issues, so I guess I just won't upload pictures for awhile.

I need to figure out how to properly work my multimeter. It doesn't have AC or DC written on it anywhere, but then again the CPU is completely out of the machine now so it's going to be hard to test anything. I guess I can practice on the LAH beside the JP instead.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

I didn't. iHusband said they pulled the update for issues, so I guess I just won't upload pictures for awhile.
I need to figure out how to properly work my multimeter. It doesn't have AC or DC written on it anywhere, but then again the CPU is completely out of the machine now so it's going to be hard to test anything. I guess I can practice on the LAH beside the JP instead.

Often the meters show symbols, V for Volts followed by a symbol for AC or DC, or the display shows "VAC" or "VDC" after the reading. Best to find a tutorial online, sometimes you can even find them as videos for your specific make/model of meter.
05_testing_page_001_1-515.jpg05_testing_page_001_1-515.jpg

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

It doesn't have AC or DC written on it anywhere,

AC is the white portion on the top right labeled 200V and 600V. DC is on the top left with marks between 200mV and 600V.

#21 9 years ago

Thanks guys. Mine looks very similar to this:

http://www.meterstesters.com/image.php/detailpic222.jpg?width=300&height=300&image=/assets/js/upfiles/images/Products/Digital-Multimeters/MAS830.jpg

I think we were doing it right. I'll play around with LAH and get more used to it, but for now I think the CPU is damaged and that's the issue. Now I've got to research those and see if I can determine what is wrong, if it can be fixed, if it needs to be replaced, and if I can even find a replacement.

#22 9 years ago

Sorry for the mix-up on the filter cap for the +5v. Regardless, your lamp cap tests fine in AC, so leave that large blue capacitor alone. Listen to what Wayout said about the location of the one on the MPU. Once you can upload pictures of those toasted components we should be able to figure out what happened. I'd keep it off the power until we see what fried.

#23 9 years ago

start at the power supply rebuild it properly top to bottom or buy a Xpin power supply, data east has the worst ps boards.... then see what happens when you power up...chances are you have other problems but it wont troubleshoot worth a hoot with a flaky power supply.

#24 9 years ago

She replaced the PSU with a rottendog.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

She replaced the PSU with a rottendog.

Because of this, the power supply component section will probably be different from the original board. So, not sure if the usual C4 cap is associated with the primarily 5v BR on this or not. If using the DMM, she can determine the cause of issue lies on the Rottendog board, then I would contact Rottendog directly.

However, being that it seems the +5v and PIA are reacting normal from what I've read, there may be a boot issue on the CPU rather than in the PS.

#26 9 years ago

We got the RottenDog board at the expo on June 21st and installed it within a day or so. So the machine worked from end of June until about 2 weeks ago, so a good 2 months of working with the power supply but occasionally still having to be turned on/off/on to get it to boot properly... which it occasionally had to have done to boot properly before the power supply blew too. I was hoping putting in the new power supply was going to be the grand fix, but it may have just been it's time to go and the CPU been the issue all along. I'm trying to find a way to get the pictures uploaded, since my house is full of Apple products and I can't upload anything to my work computer.

#27 9 years ago

Hard to say without seeing the damaged board, but constantly having to cycle power to get a game to boot is usually a sign of a bad cap. In this case, you need to focus on the MPU board caps, since your rottendog seems to be supplying +5v as your testing showed.

If the +5v filter cap failed on the MPU, it could have taken out some components along with it. Hopefully it is something easy that you can repair yourself.

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

on the V~ side at 600 and got 037 ... Then we tested the CPU board on the little loops by the battery holder and got 004.

Hmmm - V~? This sounds shady. Looks to me like you measured 4V AC. When you get it back together, we can advise you on some better test points, how & where to measure it, and what you should be seeing.

Quoted from blondetall:

I was hoping putting in the new power supply was going to be the grand fix, but it may have just been it's time to go and the CPU been the issue all along.

Usually, the power supply replacement would do the job. You did the right thing there. It would be rare, but not impossible, to have a new PS board bad as well. Multiple measurements should actually be taken on both the PS and CPU. Even if the caps and filtering is good, you can still have problems with cables and connectors cause enough of a voltage drop to mimic this symptom of intermittent booting. I've certainly seen it on System 11s.

#29 9 years ago

OK, finally figured out how to get pictures to my husband's computer and upload. I have no problem putting the CPU back in and testing things, but with this smoky area on the board, I wanted someone to tell me if it was fried first. Here we go:

IMG_0047.JPGIMG_0047.JPG
IMG_0046.JPGIMG_0046.JPG
IMG_0049.JPGIMG_0049.JPG
IMG_0045.JPGIMG_0045.JPG

#30 9 years ago

Close ups of the board after taking it off:
IMG_0052-963.JPGIMG_0052-963.JPG
IMG_0054.JPGIMG_0054.JPG
IMG_0056.JPGIMG_0056.JPG

You can see the black smokey area on the second chip above the row of white thingies. (Technical term, he he.)
IMG_0057.JPGIMG_0057.JPG
IMG_0053-584.JPGIMG_0053-584.JPG

#31 9 years ago

Yikes. That doesn't look good. That burnt IC is a 74ls08 Quad 2-input AND Gate. Those white things are ceramic resistors.

You've got a number of bad/failed components there. Looks like the PIA that controls the Solenoid drivers burnt up, a few decoupling capacitors and a resistor burnt up, and it took out the 74ls08 logic gate that selects which coils fire. The SIP pack(s) next to it could be dead as well.

The game won't boot if all the PIAs do not check out, which explains why it is locked up on boot. All of those components need to be checked out. Also, the reason for the failure needs to be looked into. Were any coils locked up/on at any point or did you notice anything odd the last few times you were playing it? The game itself also is going to need to be examined on the underside of the playfield. The problem could still be on the underside and the same thing could happen again with a repaired board in place.
I wouldn't be surprised if you've got a failed/melted up coil or have coils missing diodes. And you'll need to test out all of the TIP102 drivers as well. You're going to want to send this out to someone. Not something you'd want to attempt to repair if you've never done board work.
Did any fuses blow?

#32 9 years ago

Hi blondetall,
So I hope I can help simplify some troubleshooting.

I would take your JP MPU that you removed and just connect CN17 (power cable just to the right of the battery pack) to it in your LAH. No need to remove any other cables to do this. Hold the board with the palms of your hands against the edges, not touching the front or back of the board. Then apply power (You would want someone else to turn it on to keep from wanting to grab the board.) If the PIA still is lit, there is a logic problem. If the the PIA turns off and the blanking LED turns on, then the board booted up ok and there would be a different issue in JP causing your MPU not to boot. (Only power is needed to the board to see if it will boot up.)

Personally speaking, The 74LS08 does not look burnt to me at all. Constant hot areas like the ceramic resistors for the lamp circuit tends to attract the most dirt in that area than any other inside the backbox. This black dust should easy be removed with alcohol and a paper towel or Q-tips.

If you determine the MPU is not booting up in LAH (and it seems you will), it is time to decide to send it to someone to look at. Boot up issues are not quick nor easy to repair. It will be very time consuming on the forum to get any quick help without tons of back and forth questions, answering, testing, etc.

So this is just a quick board troubleshooting technique I use.

Then you can decide if you want to play your JP or LAH more. If you want to play JP, then you can move your LAH over to JP. Though you would have to look at both MPU boards and see if LAH also only has one game ROM. If it does, you only need to move the ROM and you should be playing again. If LAH has 2 ROMs, then you would need to move a jumper to use it in JP since it has only 1 game ROM.

#33 9 years ago

Now a theory of why your shaker motor is out.

I believe your original power supply did in fact have a problem with the +5 volts. I had worked on 3 Data East games with a shaker motor that had that problem. When it gets around 3 volts or less, it causes the shaker motor to start trying to turn and you may start feeling or hearing it moan. If the 5 volts is not repaired and the machine and left on too long while trying to diagnose it, the shaker motor will start to pull too much current and either blows out the fuse (on the shaker motor board that is mounted to the left of the motor on the left side of the cabinet wall) or even worse, it will cause the big transistor on the PPB board to short out. This recently happened on my JP.

So you should pull and check this fuse for the shaker motor if you or your husband has not yet done so.
Hope that gets it going for you.

#34 9 years ago

The black area you see on the metal board ground plate in the backbox definately is from heat/dirt. The MPU does not look like it is all that bad to have made the ground plate to look that bad. There is a very good chance that MPU is not even be the original board. Again, you can use alcohol and a paper towel to wipe that off. You probably want to get alcohol in a spray can if you want to clean the black dirt of the connectors. I don't see anything that would concern me there.

Far as the slightly darker area on the back of the MPU, constant heat to a board will just discolor it. The front of the board, definately has black dust around those white ceramic resistors.

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

Were any coils locked up/on at any point or did you notice anything odd the last few times you were playing it ?

This is a good question. Though, since tblondetall did not mention any clunk of a coil locking on during powering it on or any burned coil smell, I am just leaning toward a logic failure just that you mentioned for the PIA LED staying lit. Just sounds like a simple part failure.

I do have 3 Data East MPU also that have the same boot up failure and I know they did not experience any locked coils that would have attributed to the PIA LED staying lit. (Boards just crapped out.) Seems like what happened here. Now if I can just get the time to fix the ones I got.

#36 9 years ago

I'm not seeing any burnt components, certainly see some dirt. The back of the board where it is dark is just discoloration from heat generated by the power resistors (white thingies) over time. No worries.

Also note from the meter pic:
Don't use that 600V AC range selection for measuring. You won't really need that anywhere in the pinball. Use the 20 VDC range for DC measurements less than 20 VDC (3 clicks left of the off position), for such items as measuring logic power. Use the 200V DC range 1 click to the right when measuring DC more than 20VDC, such as solenoids. Use the 200V range AC scale for AC measurements such as incoming mains power or filter ripple measurements (2 clicks to the right of the off position)

#37 9 years ago

Thanks guys. I will test it in the LAH after work and go from there, and clean it up a bit with some alcohol and q-tips as well. And I'll start testing all the fuses, including shaker. I think it just may have popped when the power supply went, but I'm a little nervous doing much to it for fear something else will blow up from me poking on it so I just haven't looked. I have no problem getting the board fixed or replaced, but just didn't know where to start narrowing things down and didn't want to buy/install another new board and it still not fix the problem. I really appreciate all the info and help.

It has been playing fine the last 2 months after getting the new power supply. The only thing not working is the T-Rex going up/down, but I've been told that's a cable issue and just haven't fixed it. Everyone was asking about coils locked on when I made the thread about it blowing up the first time, but nothing seems to be stuck on or messed up in any way in that regards.

Here's the original thread with the initial power supply blowing up issue. Wahchintonka is husband, and he posted a pic of the fried board on there.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-please-jp-jurassic-park-literally-smoking#post-1698122

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

I'm not seeing any burnt components, certainly see some dirt. The back of the board where it is dark is just discoloration from heat generated by the power resistors (white thingies) over time. No worries.

Looks like the traces running to one of those 74lsxx ICs to the PIA there could be little toasty. The resistor to the left of it isn't too near those sand resistors and heat source too. Hard to say I guess until they get cleaned up with some q-tips and rubbing alcohol.

Blondetall, one quick and easy test to see if a component is burnt up is to literally just touch it with the game off. Burnt up resistors and caps usually kinda fall apart when you press on them.

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

Looks like the traces running to one of those 74lsxx ICs to the PIA there could be little toasty. The resistor to the left of it isn't too near those sand resistors and heat source too. Hard to say I guess until they get cleaned up with some q-tips and rubbing alcohol.

Heat rises and the black dust is light enough to travel with the heat. Actually some of this may even clean off a bit easier by using a half inch or so dry paint brush. A big paint brush works very well for just getting dust off from a board sitting out in the open for many years.

#40 9 years ago

fyi, one of the two relays under the playfield could be bad and not operating Rex. I had that issue getting mine going after a bad power supply event like this on mine.

they sell relays with plug and play wiring harness but there a few bucks, you can buy a relay and a base cheap and wire it up yourself, that's what I did.

B.

#41 9 years ago

I'm sorry, I mistyped earlier when I said up/down. I meant that he goes up/down, but doesn't pick up the ball. That's what I was told was a cable issue, the ball-picking-up part. He goes up and down and "chomps" just fine in testing both before it boots up and in test mode, just won't pick it up in gameplay. We just say that he's on a diet.

It's our local County Fair this weekend and my niece is finally old enough to walk and almost talk, so I'm going with my sister, niece, and my parents to the fair tomorrow. I'm only saying this so you know I haven't run off or been fried by the machine if I don't post results in the next 24 hours or so, but I promise I'll return with info and not leave you all hanging. Again, I really appreciate the help!

#42 9 years ago

Any Pinsiders sorta local to you that can make a pit stop?

#43 9 years ago

Um, no. Lol. Read my rant about being in a pinball desert in the 'what pisses you off about pinball' thread.

I have gotten some PMs of people offering help giving me places to send the board, offering to look at/fix the board, and even offering to let me know when there is a Pinsider get together about 1.5 hours from me in case I want to go. I'm feeling the love today and appreciate it. You guys are trying your best to help me out.

#44 9 years ago

...the sad part is...even if I lived in a room in your house, I wouldn't be able to help...

#45 9 years ago

Ted... there are no available rooms. I took the guest room and turned it into pinball room #2.

The dogs have big dog beds though, and they like to cuddle...

#46 9 years ago

Then the person could sleep under the machines.

#47 9 years ago

All cleaned up. I took an alcohol wipe to them and it cleaned up nice, so I think it was more dirt than blown chip because it seems very solid also. I still havent tested it in LAH because honestly I am afraid to touch the machines after RFM decided to freeze up twice tonight and LAH's left flipper decided not to work. I swear, it is always something with these things.
Husband is going to look over the board closely to see if we can see anything else damaged visibly or that needs cleaning, then we may try to test it on LAH.
image-294.jpgimage-294.jpg
image-399.jpgimage-399.jpg

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

Husband is going to look over the board closely to see if we can see anything else damaged visibly or that needs cleaning, then we may try to test it on LAH.

I think you may want to do the opposite. Pull the LAH MPU and put it in JP, and swap the program EPROMs from LAH and put the JP ones in place. I don't think any jumpering changes are needed, but someone correct me here if I am wrong.

You want to start with just powering on the MPU with just the +5v CPU power, nothing else connected. See if you get the LEDs for booting to light. It is just a single connector. Connector CN17 I believe.

Your LAH MPU is a known working machine (except for your flipper issues now, sorry). Putting the JP board in LAH could cause issues on your LAH. Then again, the opposite is true if there are issues on the underside of your JP. But ultimately you want to confirm a faulty MPU on your JP first. If you put the LAH board in ur JP, and you have the same non-booting issues, then you know your JP MPU is not the issue and it is most likely a power supply issue. You can then try and put the LAH MPU with the JP roms into the LAH backbox, connect just the MPU power connector, and see if it boots up (no other connectors). If it does, it is definitely the PSU on JP.

#49 9 years ago

If you get the LAH MPU board to boot with just the CPU power connector in JP, you can switch it off, add in the other connectors and reboot.

#50 9 years ago

Thanks thedefog. I somehow missed this thread's new posts until now. Husband has had a migraine the last day or so, so things are on hold until he's better and we're able to poke around. I'm hesitant to do much of anything, much less by myself. lol I will for sure update once we've messed around with them and have some more info.

I think the LAH flipper issue is with the button and/or leaf switch and not too deep of an issue, but you never know with these things.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
London, ON
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Sabattus, ME
$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 250.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vienna, VA
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 135 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jurassic-park-will-not-boot-help-please and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.