Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
#1 9 years ago

My newest pin was being delivered by a fellow Pinsider this morning, so I went around turning on all my machines so he could see them real quick before hitting the road. When I turned on JP, the testing started and everything looked fine, but the DMD just had a few pixels lit and they weren't moving. So I turned it off/on (see below) and it did the same thing, but this time smoke started billowing out from around the Rex, and before I could switch it off and unplug it, smoke was coming out from behind the translite. (Honestly, the smoke/fog around the Rex would look awesome under different circumstances.)

I took off the translite and flipped the light board out, and I saw nothing that was on fire, smoldering, or looked damaged. We got it right at 2 years ago, and at the time we installed a new DMD in it, so it's not that old nor has it been messing up otherwise.

Disclaimer: This particular JP occasionally will not boot up properly, and will either display "OPEN THE COIN DOOR" and once you do it revert itself back to factory settings, or it will just not do anything but have the dino scream noise. I've been told it's the "starter" having a problem warming up, and just to turn it on/off again, which actually does seem to fix the problem. I know nothing at all about boards, so I just turn it on off/on and it works, so I haven't looked into it further. I guess we'll have to now.

I had to get to work and didn't have time to look into it further (or even unwrap my new LAH) but wanted to ask if anyone had an opinion on where I should start looking. I'm quite afraid to plug it in at this point. I was wanting a project machine, then got the LAH which is supposed to be working 100%, so I guess JP decided to be a jealous pissy bitch and turn itself into a project. Sigh. Thanks in advance for any suggestions/help.

#2 9 years ago

Suggestions/Help really have to wait until you aren't going to work and can provide some idea as to what's going on.

Probably a locked on coil/transistor. Might not even have anything to do with your T-rex (maybe the laser kick or the eject hole).

Your plea for help is understandable but given the info you've given us at this point, all I can say is it could be literally anything in your game showing symptoms.

#3 9 years ago

If you are continually getting the open coin door message that usually means a few things. Could be dead batteries, could be no batteries, could be leaking batteries or bad battery holder
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Data_East/Sega#Standard_128_x_32_DMD_Display

Smoke usually means something is burning or on fire which is not a good thing. Check around TRex and see what the issue is. Could be a coil that is locked on.

#4 9 years ago

It's not the Rex or anything on the playfield... it is the backbox. The smoke around the Rex was coming out the bottom of the backbox. Everything on the playfield itself was testing/working fine, but the DMD started going weird then there was smoke. It smelled awful, and I was pretty sure something was on fire but couldn't see any signs of it once I opened it up. I am 95% sure it is electrical, which is why I didn't know where to start looking since I saw no signs of anything once the smoke cleared and am too afraid to think about plugging it in.

#5 9 years ago

If it's "in the backbox," you'll know it. Things don't just smoke like that and leave no trace.

How do you know it's not the Rex or anything on the playfield? Did you look?

Smoke rises. If you have a cooked coil, that smoke can end up in the backbox. And if you have a cooked coil, you ALSO have a cooked transistor which means plenty of smoke to go around.

#6 9 years ago

Transistors and Diodes love to cook.

Open the backbox and use your nose.

Sniff around the circuit boards, you won't be able to miss the smell of burnt electronics.

Then post a pic of the smoked part.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Transistors and Diodes love to cook.
Open the backbox and use your nose.
Sniff around the circuit boards, you won't be able to miss the smell of burnt electronics.
Then post a pic of the smoked part.

same thing has happened to me. Investigate your boards. Some of them may have cooking a coil too

#8 9 years ago

I didnt see anything immediately smoking, blackened, on fire, or scorched in the backbox, but didnt pull the DMD out and look behind it, and assume that may be where it was since the smoke went straight into the playfield. I am not 100% positive it isnt the Rex or playfield, but since the Rex was happily testing and chomping away while the backbox was pouring smoke, I think he is fine.

I fully expected flames because of the amount of smoke and smell, but when there was nothing completely obvious wrong at first glance, I just thought I would ask here since you guys have much more experience than I do. I didnt want it to be some obvious thing that I didnt know about, and will check it out more and update here once I get home.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

If you are continually getting the open coin door message that usually means a few things. Could be dead batteries, could be no batteries, could be leaking batteries or bad battery holder
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Data_East/Sega#Standard_128_x_32_DMD_Display
Smoke usually means something is burning or on fire which is not a good thing. Check around TRex and see what the issue is. Could be a coil that is locked on.

Thanks Tom. We looked into the battery holder when it first started having issues, but everythig is good there. It only boots up weird once out of every 30 times or less.

#10 9 years ago

Dam Data Beast......I am just getting my JP going after a event like that.....lots of hurt components with many hours on the bench and my T-Rex is still not working. Hopefully its not hurt to bad.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If it's "in the backbox," you'll know it. Things don't just smoke like that and leave no trace.
How do you know it's not the Rex or anything on the playfield? Did you look?
Smoke rises. If you have a cooked coil, that smoke can end up in the backbox. And if you have a cooked coil, you ALSO have a cooked transistor which means plenty of smoke to go around.

If it's the board behind the DMD, the issue would not be apparent upon opening the backbox. Also, smoke just goes out the nearest hole, regardless if it is up or down.

#12 9 years ago

With all of my so called skills, I probably use my nose on 20% of service calls.

If someone says "It was smoking!", I put my head in the backbox, and I raise the playfield and sniff around the wiring.

Sometimes it is a small resistor that you don't see right off the bat, but your nose knows.....

#13 9 years ago

I've had trouble with previously repaired high voltage sections on DE power supply boards. Seems like if they've failed once, they will fail again soon after the repair so I don't even repair them anymore, I buy new replacements.

But, as Vid says, follow your nose...

edit: And by "trouble" I mean smokey discharge.

#14 9 years ago

Maybe it was the Chattanooga "Choo-Choo" that was smoking (you know the song...) Anyway are there any pinsiders in your area that would help out the greatest Moderator of all time!!!???

Also don't rule out a FLASH bulb locked on and burning or melting something. I had a Data East Flash bulb get locked on because I accidently had it short to something else when I was doing some work around it and it nearly started a fire and melted half way through the insert...

#15 9 years ago

Jesterfunhouse... your brownnose check is in the mail. Thanks though, I appreciate it.

Um... no. There was only one local Pinsider, and he abandoned the hobby. I can't even convince him to come over during my every-other-month pinball parties. I had to have a pin delivered to my house by an Atlanta Pinsider just to get another pinball-crazy person to even see my gameroom.

Husband is a big electronics person, so he's going to look at it when we get home. He was mentioning the other day that he'd like a blue DMD in Stargate, and if another DMD went out that he'd just replace it with Stargate's and then buy it a new one... Then JP blows up...

#16 9 years ago

I would expect a shorted TIP36C transistor on the PPB board (bottom left board in the backbox).

#17 9 years ago

This happened to my JP one time due to a bad transistor and locked on coil at start up. Check out the coils for signs of burns first - my guess is the smoke was just rising from the locked on coil through the head. Also check for broken resistors on the bad coil if you have a bad coil and it involves a resistor.

John

#18 9 years ago

Whenever I've had backbox smoke before I believe it was a capacitor or two that I smoked.

#19 9 years ago

I fried two boards on my DE SW from hooking up my launcher coil backwards. Similar outcome, coil locked on and smoked then the boards melted, it all smelled wonderful. I just got a new Rottendog CPU, PPU and coil (properly wired) and it plays fine now. Expensive lesson to learn.

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

Jesterfunhouse... your brownnose check is in the mail. Thanks though, I appreciate it.
Um... no. There was only one local Pinsider, and he abandoned the hobby. I can't even convince him to come over during my every-other-month pinball parties. I had to have a pin delivered to my house by an Atlanda Pinsider just to get another pinball-crazy person to even see my gameroom.

You and your family need to move to the DC/Baltimore area I have been invited to lots of peoples home through pinside and been able to meet several of them and spend time in their gamerooms. It is one of the things I like most about this hobby...

#21 9 years ago

Hmmm...sounds to me like your HUB wants that blue DMD real baaaaaaaad!! The lengths us men will go to to get the newest, shiniest, coolest toy out there.....I tell ya

#22 9 years ago

Diode on a board in the back box appears to be our culprit.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#23 9 years ago

That capacitor looks bulged too, maybe leaking?

Rob

#24 9 years ago

That Cap looks like it's starting to get a bit puffy as well (while you're at it with the board repair anyways.....)

#25 9 years ago

I think the capacitor was the popping sound she heard. Just took the board off and the back looks worse. We'll likely just replace it if possible. It's the power supply board.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Vienna, VA
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
London, ON
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-please-jp-jurassic-park-literally-smoking and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.