(Topic ID: 348474)

Jumping Jack Left hole kicker not firing.

By Sea_Wolf

4 months ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by Sea_Wolf
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 months ago

Greetings guys.

I’m at a loss on this one. During a game when the ball lands in the upper left hole, the hole switch activates and scores points but the kicker doesn’t fire, so the ball just lays in the hole scoring points. Here’s what I’ve done so far:

On the schematic the left hole kicker coil is in circuit with the switch on the I relay (Left hole relay) with the green/red wire which I checked and cleaned and the I relay activates as it should when the hole switch closes.

Next I got out the jumpers and jumped the kicker coil and nothing. Couldn’t believe the coil was bad (not burnt) and when tested the resistance out of circuit, it tested good along with the right kicker coil. Then I just swapped the right kicker coil with the left and it made no difference. Left kicker still not firing.

So knowing both coils are good I trace the green/slate wire from the left kicker coil to the Jones plug and thoroughly cleaned the male plug and the female receptacle where the green/red wire comes in and nothing.

For reference, the coil plunger and the kicker arm move freely when I manually move them. I’m obviously missing something and appreciate any ideas.

Danny

#2 4 months ago

Also for reference, this issue just came up. I play this game almost daily and it’s been working 100% for almost 2 years.

#3 4 months ago
Quoted from Sea_Wolf:

I got out the jumpers and jumped the kicker coil and nothing.

Jumped what to what? Green-red on the left kicker coil to the red-white power rail?

What if you jumper the two kicker coils together in parallel (black wire lug to black wire lug, green-red wire lug to slate-red wire lug)? Then presumably both should work when either I or J relays fire. If that's the case, remove the jumpers one at a time and re-test. Does the left kicker work with just one jumper in place? Which one?

/Mark

#4 4 months ago
Quoted from MarkG:

Jumped what to what? Green-red on the left kicker coil to the red-white power rail?
What if you jumper the two kicker coils together in parallel (black wire lug to black wire lug, green-red wire lug to slate-red wire lug)? Then presumably both should work when either I or J relays fire. If that's the case, remove the jumpers one at a time and re-test. Does the left kicker work with just one jumper in place? Which one?
/Mark

Thanks for the quick response Mark.

Yes, I jumped from the red/white power rail on the bottom slam switch to the lug on the left kicker coil with the green/slate wire and got nothing, even when I swapped coils from right kicker coil to the left.

Ill try jumping the coils in parallel and let you know what I find.

#5 4 months ago

Ok here’s what I got.

Jumping the coils in parallel black to black wire lugs and green/slate to slate/grey wire lugs. With all 4 clips on and activating the left hole switch, the I relay pulls in and both kickers activate.

If I only remove the clip from the black wire lug on the right kicker coil and close the left hole switch, the I relay pulls in but only the right kicker activates.

If I only remove the clip from the slate/grey wire lug on the right kicker coil and close the left hole switch, I relay pulls in and both kickers activate.

If I only remove the clip from the green/slate wire on the left kicker coil and close the left hole switch, I relay pulls in and both kickers activate.

If I only remove the clip from the black wire lug on the left kicker coil, I relay pulls in but only the right hole kicker activates.

Does that tell us that the issue is with the green/slate wire from left kicker coil somewhere? Thanks for the help.

#6 4 months ago

I think the black wire on your left kicker coil is not connected back to the transformer. You restore the connection when you connect black to black between the two kickers.

#7 4 months ago
Quoted from MarkG:

I think the black wire on your left kicker coil is not connected back to the transformer. You restore the connection when you connect black to black between the two kickers.

Ok I see what you mean now. Ill see if I can follow the single black wire from the left kicker coil to look for something amiss. Any suggestions? Looks like a daunting task.

Thanks.

#8 4 months ago

Well I got lucky thanks to you getting me on the right track. I followed the black wire from the left kicker coil to the left flipper coil and noticed a less than neat solder job. Gave the black wire a gentle tug on that flipper coil while activating the left hole switch and bingo, the left kicker fired.

Thanks a bunch Mark. Learned a lot

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Alpine, CALIFORNIA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jumping-jack-left-hole-kicker-not-firing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.