• Latest reply 67 days ago by dsmoke1986
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2264 (resized).jpeg
8dwrcm (resized).jpg
There are 118 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 3 months ago

Considering branching out from Stern and considering a JJP for my next pin. However, this question isn’t which one to purchase but which one to try to seek out to play and why. I just got an handful of plays on The Godfather but haven’t really played any other JJP pins. Is there a forum that already has a “Best JJP” pin that I didn’t see via search?

There aren’t a lot of options near me so just wanted to put this out there before committing an hour plus just to try to find some to play.

Note I’m purposefully trying to omit the view of purchasing since I know some (pirates) are excessively expensive and I need to play before I even see if they are worth purchasing. Which machines are worth the time seeking out to play?

#2 3 months ago

Love my GF. Highly recommend.

Own Wonka, GNR and Woz.

Great pins, have to upgrade to precision flippers.

Getting an EJ.

GNR is an experience like no other if you like the band.

I’d go with GF or EJ prob.

JJP games are fantastic, get a used one. Your gain.

#3 3 months ago

I have enjoyed playing TS4, Wonka and Pirates. I have not played Hobbit or WOZ. That being said, it really depends on your play level. I suck so I find TS4 fun to shoot. I dont like it for other reasons, but I am happy to put quarters in on location. Wonka feels like it has more to do, but I haven’t delved deep into code. My games are a bit shorter than TS4, but still long enough to feel like Im getting somewhere. Pirates was fun, but I could never justify the cost. All other JJP games have just been meh for me. At least that is my tldr version of their games.

#4 3 months ago

I think Wonka and Dialed in are the best ones i have played. Godfather is fun as well. i havent played Elton yet but look forward to playing it.

#5 3 months ago

I think skill level and what your looking for most is more important than manufacturers overall, that being said both #GnR and #GF are fantastic deals right now for the non-tourney elite player. I have clicked less with any of their family orientated pins besides WoZ and that gameplay can be polarizing, certainly worth seeking out for a fiver or two will tell you a lot.

#6 3 months ago

I have seen some DI for under $7k lately. Great game. Buy used cause JJP games take a hit on resale.

#7 3 months ago

There are several threads about which is best (and you can always look to the top 100 rated games), but it ultimately comes down to you. You might also consider viewing online gameplay of each.

Based upon your current collection, I would guesstimate that you gravitate towards movie and fantasy themes, intricate gameplay, great mechs, deep code, varying gameplay within your collection, and lots of shot selection.

Given those criteria, I would suggest WOZ, POTC, or Hobbit. All three bring positives and potential negatives.

WOZ - Fantasy movie theme with deep code, lots of shots, and phenomenal gimmicks. Many considered it the pin that saved pinball.

POTC - great shots and overall look. Tons of cool mechs and ways to play. The code has not been finished and may never be, but 99.99% of people would never know because it is so deep. It also costs a small fortune...and that's saying a lot these days with pinball prices.

Hobbit - This would look gorgeous next to your LOTR. I feel like this game is misunderstood by many, however. It is a mode based game (32 modes, all unique). I believe that is the most of any pinball. It also plays unlike any of your other games.

#8 3 months ago

TS4, DI, Wonka.

In that order.

#9 3 months ago

I played an ECWOZ this weekend. That game is so packed, not to mention how beautiful it is. I also played a POTC CE, Dialed In CE, and a WONKA CE. Honestly, it would be hard to pick which I wanted if someone was going to give me one. Plus, I've had my heart set on a Hobbit for years.

I envy and don't envy your choice at the same time. Good luck and happy hunting!

#10 3 months ago

ive owned most, dialed in is my favorite, followed by hobbit and woz.

#11 3 months ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

ive owned most, dialed in is my favorite, followed by hobbit and woz.

I tend to agree and own all three for years.

Good luck

#12 3 months ago

Dialed In I think is the best.

They only made 9 games, you might as well try to play them all.

#13 3 months ago

I recently played Elton John and noticed that the flippers feel way better than they did on earlier JJP pins. Still not as good as Stern, but way better. Go with their last couple games, because the flippers on anything before that make the games unplayable.

#14 3 months ago

Thanks everyone for your input thus far.

Just saw a semi local ad where someone is looking to trade their Hobbit for a Godzilla Premium. Thoughts?

Ever since getting JP I haven’t played Godzilla and would be willing to move it. Hmm…not sure if a blind trade for Hobbit is a smart move though?

#15 3 months ago
Quoted from briyau15:

Thanks everyone for your input this far.
Just saw a semi local ad where someone is looking to trade their Hobbit for a Godzilla Premium. Thoughts?
Ever since getting JP I haven’t played Godzilla and would be willing to move it. Hmm…not sure if a blind trade for Hobbit is a smart move though?

Hobbit is a great game, but there are some polarizing views on it. You should try to play one first. A straight up trade seems fairly close to me.

#16 3 months ago

EJ build quality is incredible. But the pirates and WOZ theme is awesome. Godfather is awesome for the money on the used market.

#17 3 months ago

If there's ever a company that immerses you in the theme, it's JJP. Try to play a pin with a theme you like, it'll help understand what makes JJP different. For me it was Wonka - I love the theme, and they nailed it. Having said that, Dialed In is a great game and is also a great example of JJP going overboard with presentation.

#18 3 months ago

EJ, Toy Story and Wonka are all fun. Other titles I could go the rest of my life without ever playing again.

#19 3 months ago

I want to start by saying I'm far from a pro pinball player nor am I friends with any so I tend to go towards themes that I have a connection with and that others would be comfortable walking up to. for JJP I own a Toy Story and Wonka. Both are really fun to play. I have young kids as well as a lot of nieces and nephews so obviously they are immediately attracted to Toy Story. I would recommend either, I know diehards love to hate on TS but it really is a fun one to play for anyone. My brother has an EJ coming so look forward to that. I have had some games on a Dailed In and it was pretty fun also but not enough on it to suggest buying it to someone. I will say their machines are tanks and are top quality for sure.

#20 3 months ago

Ts4 is one of the most boring games I've ever played. Easily the worst JJP. Maybe its technically better than GNR but I want to own a GNR and have no desire to even play TS4 ever again. So maybe skip those 2 and look for any of the other ones. Hobbit is much better than its often given credit for. People seem to like DI but I'm not totally sold on it. Gf is a pretty good shooting game but I haven't spent a lot of time with it. POTC is pretty cool but its just way too expensive. Woz is OK I guess, but I don't particularly like it. I really like Elton John the little bit of time I've spent with it, but would be hard to swallow paying MSRP for it.

#21 3 months ago

I'd also like to branch out from Stern and would consider an Elton but not at current pricing. None of their other games interest me at all. There is a nice Hobbit on location near by and I've tried to give it a chance but ultimately it just seems floaty to me. Definitely try before you buy.

#22 3 months ago

Nope, none of them interest me at all, and their lack of code updates is trash.

#23 3 months ago

I've owned most JJP games.. DI,WOZ,now EJ,Hobbit, and GNR..

Woz is great, finished game and loaded with shots, mechanicals... get one that has the Monkey magnet included.
EJ, so far, feels and looks similar to WOZ.. I had a nice long game on it last night and love it more and more that I play it.
GNR looks great.. but the scoop shot is the focus of the game, not really any other shots.. and it spits out multi-balls for no apparent
reason.. got rid of it twice!
DI.. if you're into Lawlor/old style Williams, definitely a modern interpretation
Lastly, Hobbit.. again beautiful theme, but not into the dozens of character based modes.. and the top split ramp shot feels like only shot in game, and constantly goes into the dragon multi ball

#24 3 months ago

Love my Wonka, and code is mature and well-balanced so no need to worry about lack of code updates.

#25 3 months ago

Elton John excites me for future JPP pins, I really love Dialed in and Wonka.

The games feel more high end then stern, stern has better code support so one could argue the money just gets spent differently.

#26 3 months ago
Quoted from briyau15:

Considering branching out from Stern and considering a JJP for my next pin. However, this question isn’t which one to purchase but which one to try to seek out to play and why. I just got an handful of plays on The Godfather but haven’t really played any other JJP pins. Is there a forum that already has a “Best JJP” pin that I didn’t see via search?
There aren’t a lot of options near me so just wanted to put this out there before committing an hour plus just to try to find some to play.
Note I’m purposefully trying to omit the view of purchasing since I know some (pirates) are excessively expensive and I need to play before I even see if they are worth purchasing. Which machines are worth the time seeking out to play?

GFCE is a must have. I have one NIB! You want it!?

#27 3 months ago
Quoted from WGPE:

GFCE is a must have. I have one NIB! You want it!?

Ha, thanks but not at this time. I did get some plays on one this weekend but would need to find more JJPs to see if any others people have mentioned are worth it. Unfortunately the one place that I knew that had a few is closing down or is already closed.

#28 3 months ago

20 games now on Elton. Very fun game as I keep saying! Just unfortunately, I’m going to wait on this one till it comes down and price on the used market.

I am moving forward with a Venom premium (like new very low plays) and a NIB Jaws pro and the deals I got on these is less than one Elton John CE. (I mean something is wrong with this picture.)

As soon as this game hits under the 10k mark it’s in my basement!

#29 3 months ago

Ok
I’ll chime in

I own
1) Pirates of Caribbean LE
2) Gun’s and Roses LE
3) Dialed in LE
4) Godfather CE
5) Hobbit LE

Haven’t had any significant play on JJP’s other games, so no help there

I like JJP games because of the deep rule sets and games are basically unbeatable so the challenge is always there.

To me, Dialed In’s rule set is the easiest to understand. Fun shooters game. Yes, SIM card shot is tough. I don’t think I have ever gotten more than 4 SIM cards.

POTC is an awesome game, but the cost to obtain is awfully high. I understand the basic rules, but I still don’t know how I get some things, which means I am still learning the game, which is a good thing.

Godfather, I am still learning. Way too early to tell how I will end up liking it. I think it will be like POTC, the more you play and understand the game, the more you like it

Gun’s and Roses. Still in the learning phase again. I like the mini wizard modes, but not necessarily how packed the playfield is. Godfather has mostly long shots which I like. GNR has some “close in” shots.

Hobbit. While incredibly deep on code, I agree with others it feels floaty. I have steepened the game which helps a lot.

So, my order of preference right now

POTC
Dialed In
Godfather (I think this will move up to 2, and maybe 1 over time)
GNR
Hobbit

#30 3 months ago

If you want unfinished code and overpriced pins by all means get a JJP.

#31 3 months ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Here he goes again. The fun hater and top 5 Pinside troll.

If you are interested in buying some terrible games call this guy. He’s got em. Of all people.

#32 3 months ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

Nope, none of them interest me at all, and their lack of code updates is trash.

Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Then why are you here?

#33 3 months ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Go with their last couple games, because the flippers on anything before that make the games unplayable.

"Unplayable" is a bit of an exaggeration.

#34 3 months ago

Dialed in as others have mentioned.....GF was a disappointment unfortunately

#35 3 months ago

Maybe the next title will be the #1 worth checking out. Probably only a few more months away.

#36 3 months ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

Then why are you here?

He asked a question. I think he wants both sides of the story. I am here because I love pinball.

#37 3 months ago

1.) Godfather
The shots are mostly focused on the far back of the game, which I enjoy. Challenging, engaging without having shots which feel inherently dangerous. Amazing artwork throughout with fantastic music. The call outs can get a bit wonky for some people’s tastes. Some people knock the theme but I dig it wholeheartedly. Excellent gangster toy and topper. So much to do, see and hear.

2.) Pirates of the Caribbean
Lack of finished code and full assets hold this game back; the current market price just seals the deal. Beautiful game, excellent toys, amazing presentation. Unfortunately just an unobtainable game for the vast majority. If you see one, play it!

3.) Dialed In!
The only real thing holding this game back is the theme; I always viewed it as the last chapter in the “disaster pin” lineup. SIM card shot can be brutal but this game is a very addictive and rewarding experience, albeit a bit whacky (and that’s not a bad thing)

4.) Guns N” Roses
One of the most show-stopping games you’ll ever see with 21 music tracks. I consider this game the Guitar Hero of pinball machines. You’ll need to tinker with the various settings as others have done if the constant multiball and/or difficulty settings aren’t your cup of tea.

5.) Wonka
Excellent shots, great multiball modes. This game feels like the other side of the coin for WOZ though; the video and audio just doesn’t click for me and/or does not seem well integrated for my tastes. Gives me the modern slot machine vibe the most out of all JJP titles.

6.) Toy Story 4
Very flashy game, great theme (albeit a missed opportunity) but with a very nonsensical tablet in the upper left; the game has great modes, music and call outs. Once you get over the awesome jump ramp you may start to notice a bit of emptiness, however.

7.) Wizard of Oz
One of the prettiest games you’ll ever see. While I am not the biggest fan of the IP I will admit it’s integrated fantastically. The music and call outs got tiresome for me (the one I played could have very well been on old code but things got repetitive quick) and the game sadly lacks shots.

8.) The Hobbit
This pin is ALL about the journey. So many modes, amazing music and callouts. Unfortunately the constant monster pop ups got tiresome and the upper flipper has a very part-time job. Lacks the shots you’d crave. Still an amazing game though!

Haven’t played Elton yet.

The fine line for me with JJP games is finding that perfect mix of flashy eye candy while maintaining depth for your personal tastes. Some of them just feel a tiny bit soulless. That’s not a knock on the company by any means, some just feel like “empty calories” for lack of a better term. ALL are gorgeous but don’t let that distract you from the lack of shots and depth of code.

#38 3 months ago

DI folks: remove the mini rubber guarding the SIM shot. Trust me, just try it.

#39 3 months ago

I've played them all and can't say I would go outside of my ~30 min driving radius to seek out a JJP. They are often a few quarters extra at a lot of locations around here, and that premium along with a deeper ruleset make for a lesser experience on location. I think EJ and TS4 are probably the best location JJPs. I'd like to play more Hobbit. I always think I'll like WOZ and Wonka, but they've never hooked me.

#40 3 months ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

He asked a question. I think he wants both sides of the story. I am here because I love pinball.

No, I do appreciate both sides of the coin as long as it’s not from trolls or say from a skewed JJP fan. Once I get enough plays and if the games do pique my interest then the next logical step would be whether it’s worth purchasing. Hearing references to build quality and lack of support / code will factor into that when/if the time comes.

Until then I appreciate the feedback, especially from those who’ve played/owned multiple and have provided breakdowns of each.

#41 3 months ago

Dialed In and Wonka, are my 2 favorites, they also are the 2 I own now so might be a little biased. I didn't really like them when I threw a few coins on location, it's only once I got a long game that I realized how great they both are and bought them right away.

My first JJP was WOZ, I sold it after 4 years but enjoyed every minute of it. It remains IMO the greatest, most packed, most unique and most cost no object game that JJP ever designed. I got tired of the constant stop and go play, and wanted games with more flow. Dialed In is the summit of a perfect flow game, Wonka pushes the code further and IMO requires more precision in the shots, especially the orbits.

What's for sure is that Lawlor is definitely the master of flow, and his work coupled with JJP deep rulesets makes both these games some keepers for life.

#42 3 months ago

Wonka

#43 3 months ago

Absolutely love our Wonka. TS4 is also great, but some will consider it to easy and repetitive. For our game room it fits perfect and everyone has a blast playing it. It's nice having 1-2 JJP games in the mix of all the sterns. The camera and large screen are also big pluses.

#44 3 months ago
Quoted from Merendino:

Once you get over the awesome jump ramp you may start to notice a bit of emptiness, however.

I've hit that shot hundreds of times, and I can tell you it's one of the few "gimmicks" in pinball that never gets old for me. Emptiness avoided!

#45 3 months ago

Hobbit has the best theme integration and immersion ever in a modern pinball machine, and I don't think it'll be beaten. I love my GF, but it feels very different and more limited in the theme department compared to Hobbit.

They actually had a professional music production company make 35+ tracks just for the game.

The layout isn't incredible, I will say that. The game does do a really great job of being methodical at first, and then ramping up to being intense and heart-pounding in some modes/mulitballs. It's gorgeous and feels like a tank too.

#46 3 months ago

Love Wonka. It brings a smile to my face every time I start it up and hear that music. It's also a family favorite and gets the most plays when company is over. It has a great and complete set of rules. Can't say that for many JJP games, unfortunately.

#47 3 months ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

"Unplayable" is a bit of an exaggeration.

Maybe to you. To me wet noodle flippers with no snap ruin the experience. If Stern had the old JJP flipper system, I would never own or even play a Stern. Elton John and Godfather have much better flippers than the earlier pins. I’ve been begging JJP to fix their flippers since I bought Woz in 2013. They finally started listening to their customers a few years ago. Ive been hearing that there might be a kit coming to retrofit older JJp flippers. That would be great.

#48 3 months ago

Hobbit has the greatest theme integration of all time. Anyone who thinks Jaws uses the film assets better than any pin has not experienced the Hobbit. Beautiful game with so much to do. Killing (or trying) to kill Smaug never gets old and is THE pinball moment for me. I’m biased as this is my favorite game and I personally love the films, but don’t write it off.

#49 3 months ago
Quoted from vicjw66:Ive been hearing that there might be a kit coming to retrofit older JJp flippers. That would be great.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-fully-populated-enhanced-i-o-board

#50 3 months ago

GNR seems like the bargain basement JJP to me. LEs going for under 7K lately. I'd give one a try at that price. Are there settings to make it less multibally?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

8,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Arroyo Grande, CA
$ 40.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pin Monk

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Philadelphia, PA
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

7,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Silverthorne, CO
$ 11,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 11,500.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

There are 118 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-worth-seeking-out and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.