• Latest reply 35 days ago by grantopia
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
#1 37 days ago

Could use a little guidance here on where to start with a Jacks Open I picked up. The front of the cabinet was badly damaged but the game is otherwise really clean. I have a cabinet lined up and plan to do a mini restore on it, but the first hurdle I need to get past is getting the game to start.

The coin door and tilt mechs are missing from the game, so I have none of those switches in the cabinet or the jones plugs. I was hoping to run some temporary wiring so I could troubleshoot the game in the current cabinet and get it playing before I move it to a new cabinet.

I have the manual and schematic, but not super familiar with EM pins. I do have a Williams Ringer arcade so I have a bit of experience with EM repair but still pretty limited.

I’ve been reading through Clay’s guy and it sounds like having the coin door connected to the game can be pretty important to get it to start and play properly, so I’m trying to understand what I would need to do to do get a few makeshift switches wired in temporarily to get the game going.

Long story short, any advice with the following would be amazing:

1. What all from the coin door/front of the cabinet needs to be connect for the game to start appropriately.

2. Would anyone have pictures of the start button, coin switch, etc wiring and the related Jones plug that they could provide?

Also, if all this sounds insane please just tell me if I’m over complaining this ha.

#2 37 days ago
Quoted from grantopia:

Could use a little guidance here on where to start with a Jacks Open I picked up. The front of the cabinet was badly damaged but the game is otherwise really clean. I have a cabinet lined up and plan to do a mini restore on it, but the first hurdle I need to get past is getting the game to start.
The coin door and tilt mechs are missing from the game, so I have none of those switches in the cabinet or the jones plugs. I was hoping to run some temporary wiring so I could troubleshoot the game in the current cabinet and get it playing before I move it to a new cabinet.
I have the manual and schematic, but not super familiar with EM pins. I do have a Williams Ringer arcade so I have a bit of experience with EM repair but still pretty limited.
I’ve been reading through Clay’s guy and it sounds like having the coin door connected to the game can be pretty important to get it to start and play properly, so I’m trying to understand what I would need to do to do get a few makeshift switches wired in temporarily to get the game going.
Long story short, any advice with the following would be amazing:
1. What all from the coin door/front of the cabinet needs to be connect for the game to start appropriately.
2. Would anyone have pictures of the start button, coin switch, etc wiring and the related Jones plug that they could provide?
Also, if all this sounds insane please just tell me if I’m over complaining this ha.

there may be some photos that help in the jacks open thread.

#4 37 days ago

I’ve looked through there and some of the restore threads, but didn’t find many pictures clear enough to see the wiring colors and the individual switches unfortunately.

Also not sure if I’m taking Clays guide too literally, but sounds like I need to get those connected before the game will start properly.

#6 37 days ago

If you're willing to do a little thinking, you can follow the Operating Instructions on the third page of the Jacks Open manual. For example, the very first step there says "... pressing the replay button actuates the "S" relay. (start relay)". So looking at the S relay on the schematic shows that the replay button should have a Brown wire and an Orange wire:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#7 36 days ago
Quoted from HowardR:

If you're willing to do a little thinking, you can follow the Operating Instructions on the third page of the Jacks Open manual. For example, the very first step there says "... pressing the replay button actuates the "S" relay. (start relay)". So looking at the S relay on the schematic shows that the replay button should have a Brown wire and an Orange wire:
[quoted image]

More than willing! I’m excited to get into it but just wanted to make sure I’m not chasing ghosts if I don’t have everything hooked up that I need to.

#8 35 days ago

I guess the main thing I’m trying to understand is do I need the coin door wiring hooked up for the game to play, or will manually activating the relays in the correct order still get the game to start so I can see what else I may need to adjust/clean/etc without a coin door.

#9 35 days ago

Try manually engaging the start relay if you want to see if it runs.

#10 35 days ago

The wires for the coin door normally closed slam switch need to be connected together.

#11 35 days ago
Quoted from pinballdaveh:

The wires for the coin door normally closed slam switch need to be connected together.

Thanks! That was a bit of my suspicion. I assume I don’t need the start button and coin mechs hooked up but the normally closed slam switch makes a lot of sense. I’ll see if I can just rig up a jumper for the time being and go from there!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

1,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ottawa, ON
Machine - For Sale
Hudson, MA
$ 12.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jacks-open-initial-start-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.