(Topic ID: 172477)

I've been a long time Stern Pinball fan, but I'm done with them.

By jar155

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 767 posts
  • 195 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by kpg
  • Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

daytona (resized).jpg
    Unknown-1 (resized).jpeg
    Stern Toilet Paper Dispenser (resized).jpg
    Stern Store 2 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0716 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0709 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0707 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0726 (resized).jpg
    service-with-a-smile1 (resized).png
    IMG_2526 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2525 (resized).JPG
    Unknown-1 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2524 (resized).JPG
    airplane_the_movie-25482 (resized).jpg
    588f2 (resized).jpg
    image-8 (1) (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stoptap.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#321 7 years ago
    Quoted from PinballAlley:

I would agree with the statement "not all distributors seem to be equal." I think Stern took a big step forward when it decided to control who sells it's product. I think as time goes on, Stern will weed out the bad apples. One of the things that must be remembered is that this paradigm is new. Up until a few years ago the target market was primarily vendors. The conversion away from that has been done poorly.
    How many people remember attempts using high end catalogs? Then big discount wholesale mega-stores. Then wild cat sellers (flippers, back yard dealers, box bouncers....). They all failed because they lacked one thing. There was no real support for the customer. It took far too long to embrace a dealer model that finally gave the end user a voice.
    I am not sure what can be done about rising prices. If they effect sales enough , then it will be addressed. It might take the shape of a scaled down version. I am not sure that will ever come about. As I had previously mentioned, there are so many used titles selling for much higher. I think the real issue is about quality control and customer satisfaction. What can be done to give the end user a voice. I think that being heard would go a long way toward satisfaction.
    I am a pinball seller. We restore many old titles but realize that new titles are very important to the future of this hobby. If you are a true hobbyist then you have to realize that Stern is very important. The used market could never support the current demand for pinball. The old Bally, Williams, Gottlieb, Data East (and so on) are becoming more challenging to restore as replacement parts are becoming furiously harder to procure.
    As a dealer I would be willing to work toward helping bridge the gap. I can tell you all that it is extremely frustrating to read some of these issues. We (most dealers) want to see eager and happy customers. I feel like it is part of my responsibility to facilitate a good relationship between the end user and the manufacturer. Without getting into a bitch fest, with the idea of constructive and positive attempt to improve things: What do you want from the Dealers and from Stern?
    -J

What are your thoughts on the talk of Stern setting up a retail store ?
    Can you see Stern ever circumventing the distributors and selling direct to the consumer ?

#323 7 years ago
    Quoted from BOBCADE:

I thought the Stern Store chatter was not directly affiliated with Stern rather some guy opening his own thing in PA.

Oh right.
    Interesting discussion though. Could Stern cut out the middle man ?

#606 7 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Stern added those callous to the Le only on purpose. It's not an oversight and they are not interested in hearing people's opinions on what could be done to improve completed games. They have the old school game developer mentality that they create the games and you get to play them. If something is not finished then theyll eventually finish it to how they feel it should be finished.
    Transformers and avengers have always been finished (released with all planned features and a wizard mode) . If you listen to Lonnie on transformers, he basically wanted the game to be the way it was.

If he thinks Transformers is finished then I will be avoiding any games he works on in future. Did nobody tell him that there is a Special lamp ? For a game that requires a lot of progress through multiple modes there is buggar all in the way of status screens.

#626 7 years ago
    Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

Stern=Data East
    If you played pinball on route in the nineties you would remember that the B/W stuff was the best,The Data East games were always second rate and nobody dropped quarters into them unless the B/W stuff was broken or removed.B/W closes.All we are left with is the second rate Data East stuff.
    Except now its called Stern.
    And its 8k.And comes with incomplete software.

Yeah that's how it is.

Because in the meantime Lord Of The Rings, The Simpsons Pinball Party, Walking Dead, Metallica, AC/DC, Spiderman, Iron Man and Tron never happened.

Stern has made some excellent games which is what makes their current business model all the more frustrating but to say that all their games are like Data East is quite frankly bollocks.

#634 7 years ago
    Quoted from jackofdiamonds:

Its my opinion.Gary stern was CEO of both Sega and data East.He brought all that with him.The art,the flipper mechs(BUZZZZZ).Pops ,all of it.A Stern pin is a 90s Data East pin.

Is Gary Stern an engineer ? Did he design the flippers and the duplex method of pulsing the coil ? What is wrong with Stern pops ?
    I think the art on Metallica, WNBJM, KISS and Ghostbusters is superb.

Sounds to me like you have a bee in your bonnet for some reason when it comes to Stern. There are plenty of reasons to currently have a pop at Stern but to attribute any of that to Data East is bizarre.

#636 7 years ago
    Quoted from dzoomer:

Dude's a well known stern hater and broken record. Just look at his history.

Explains everything then.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stoptap.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ive-been-a-long-time-stern-pinball-fan-but-im-done-with-them?tu=stoptap and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.