(Topic ID: 334467)

Is the act of tipping currently out of control?

By gandamack

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,188 posts
  • 217 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 days ago by Mr_Tantrum
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    R (20).gif
    FB_IMG_1688598293445 (resized).jpg
    20240408_204007 (resized).jpg
    20240408_203958 (resized).jpg
    20240408_202750 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1712596541857 (resized).jpg
    just-the-tip.gif
    giphy (15).gif
    tired-af-insomnia.gif
    83038015-13252729-Customers_from_around_the_world_have_shared_absurd_service_charg-a-40_1711727286016~2.jpg
    ball washer with tip jar (resized).png
    proxy-image (6).gif
    thumbnail_image0 (resized).png
    IMG_4323 (resized).jpeg
    20240309_194843 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jaydee.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#315 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I like this one.
    On a more serious note. A kind word to them about how glad you are that they maintain their games goes a real long way and is really appreciated.
    People don't often think about the work that goes on behind the scenes. Before opening, or after. I recently after hours spent three hours replacing the motor on the spinning disc on my Stern Pirates. And my Addams gold which is usually reliable decided to create havoc recently. First book case turntable base broke, fortunately I had a couple spare NOS ones on hand. Remove it, take it apart, swap bases, reassemble and put back in game. Works. A day later the "G" opto went out. Remove it again check for broken wires, no such luck. The transmitters were original and looked it, bit the bullet and ordered a new set of boards, no sense taking a chance others would fail soon. And in the middle of this Thing didn't want to come out. Fearing a $375 motor/gearbox, I got lucky. A screw and link came out of the linkage, screw was no where to be found. Scrounged one off of an older unit that was beyond repair, reassemble. Now thing is happy again.
    If the game works, is clean. Like I said a good word goes a long way and is appreciated.
    LTG : )

Lloyd, everything was great when I was there several days ago. And you were very upfront on any issues on a couple of the machines before I even dropped a coin. I thank you for that, and it was a pleasure playing there. Everything played great.

1 week later
    #436 1 year ago

I just experienced some shady bullshit Monday night at the Blackhawks game. They do not accept cash at all so everything has to be done by card. When time for signature comes, you get a screen similar to below as you all know.
    What pisses me off is, 20% is automatically highlighted every time. To the left of that was 12% and to the right was 25% and to the right of 25% is no tip.
    Here’s where it really gets fucked, you have to hit the 12% button at least 10 times for it to light up. Same with no tip. But if you just barely graze the 20 or 25 it lights instantly.
    So they shame you into just going along with the auto 20% otherwise you feel like an asshole smashing the 12 or no tip over and over while the worker is just staring at you
    I honestly didn’t give a shit after paying $12 a beer. I tipped 12% though no matter how long it took.

And it wasn’t just one particular machine. It was the same at every stand

C9C46899-E624-4CCB-B3D0-3ABC45DFDBC3 (resized).pngC9C46899-E624-4CCB-B3D0-3ABC45DFDBC3 (resized).png
    #439 1 year ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

That is probably just because that is the most used option so that touch screen area is more worn out on the terminals. They wouldn't set it like that if they could and honestly the Blackhawks wouldn't care. If it is anything like the sports venues I have volunteered to work concessions for here, all tips go to the charity working the booth. I worked several games locally for my kids school and the deal was that the school got a flat dollar amount overall for how many volunteers they had, plus they got 100% of the tips for their booth. So if it makes you feel any better about it, I don't think the tip was going to billionaire owners or millionaire players.

Yeah, but that’s not exactly how it works here. The workers are paid union employees. No matter what the venue is, they are there whether it’s Blackhawks, bulls, concerts, etc. I didn’t like that the tip percentage was already highlighted and to change it was difficult. I usually tip around a buck per drink as rule of thumb. Of course sometimes that varies depending on the drink but for a beer that’s what I do.

In this case, at $12.50 per beer, that 20% is an extra dollar over the usual appx $1 that I think most people give. This was clearly by design. Especially since it was so hard to change the amount.

#441 1 year ago
    Quoted from gjm:

Lots of tip conversation/opinions about tipping the waitstaff... What do you tipper the person who cuts your hair?

$10 every time. Same with delivery guy

#458 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinJim:

Maybe. Has anyone noticed that YouTube does this for the “Skip Ad” button? Not a wear problem as it’s my iPad, phone, etc. Have to hammer that button 5 or 6 times before it recognizes it. Just saying….possible it’s an intentional software “feature”.

Exactly. And it wasn’t just one POS register. It was all five that I visited around the arena. Same issue. So my opinion isn’t changing. They are messing with the sensor or are refusing to fix the worn out part. Either way it’s by design to get more money.

Remember when pop up ads were constantly blowing up your computer with the X in corner to close it. The X was big but the ‘sensor’ was the size of a pinhead.

#459 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Regarding the touchscreen issue. I was at the Missouri Conservation Department firing range near me. You have to check in using a touchscreen kiosk. I was having a bitch with it and kept tapping harder and harder.
    A park ranger approached and said let me help. He did everything no problem. I noticed he was using a light touch. Maybe you were hitting the no tip button with to much gusto Jay.

I have a very gentle touch

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jaydee.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-the-act-of-tipping-currently-out-of-control?tu=jaydee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.