(Topic ID: 334467)

Is the act of tipping currently out of control?

By gandamack

12 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,152 posts
  • 216 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by RyanStl
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ball washer with tip jar (resized).png
    proxy-image (6).gif
    thumbnail_image0 (resized).png
    IMG_4323 (resized).jpeg
    20240309_194843 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20240310_103906_Gallery (resized).jpg
    20240309_212631 (resized).jpg
    20240309_210751 (resized).jpg
    20240309_210528 (resized).jpg
    20240309_211130 (resized).jpg
    20240309_172405 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    thumbnail_IMG_9576 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2024-02-25 at 10.43.49 PM (resized).png
    0286A029-ED64-4F3E-8001-91C6294F52A0 (resized).jpeg
    2248643e-0e7e-412f-8c37-67fdd18fc848_text.gif

There are 1,152 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 24.
    #451 11 months ago

I tipped my tattoo artist 20%.

#452 11 months ago

If I had to pay $12 or $18 for a beer, I'd be asking them to tip ME!

#453 11 months ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Me too. I was at XFL game the beer was $12 iirc and people were drinking several beers.

#454 11 months ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

I'd be sneaking beers in.

#455 11 months ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

screen calibration or wear... not 'make them press 10 times to be sure... by design'
    Highlighting a tip by default and making other values more steps to get to - yes, that's design.

Maybe. Has anyone noticed that YouTube does this for the “Skip Ad” button? Not a wear problem as it’s my iPad, phone, etc. Have to hammer that button 5 or 6 times before it recognizes it. Just saying….possible it’s an intentional software “feature”.

#456 11 months ago
    Quoted from PinJim:

Maybe. Has anyone noticed that YouTube does this for the “Skip Ad” button? Not a wear problem as it’s my iPad, phone, etc. Have to hammer that button 5 or 6 times before it recognizes it. Just saying….possible it’s an intentional software “feature”.

I don't have that problem but I'm using the fire stick remote

#457 11 months ago

Regarding the touchscreen issue. I was at the Missouri Conservation Department firing range near me. You have to check in using a touchscreen kiosk. I was having a bitch with it and kept tapping harder and harder.

A park ranger approached and said let me help. He did everything no problem. I noticed he was using a light touch. Maybe you were hitting the no tip button with to much gusto Jay.

#458 11 months ago
    Quoted from PinJim:

Exactly. And it wasn’t just one POS register. It was all five that I visited around the arena. Same issue. So my opinion isn’t changing. They are messing with the sensor or are refusing to fix the worn out part. Either way it’s by design to get more money.

Remember when pop up ads were constantly blowing up your computer with the X in corner to close it. The X was big but the ‘sensor’ was the size of a pinhead.

#459 11 months ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Regarding the touchscreen issue. I was at the Missouri Conservation Department firing range near me. You have to check in using a touchscreen kiosk. I was having a bitch with it and kept tapping harder and harder.
    A park ranger approached and said let me help. He did everything no problem. I noticed he was using a light touch. Maybe you were hitting the no tip button with to much gusto Jay.

I have a very gentle touch

#460 11 months ago
    Quoted from JayDee:

That's what boob says.

#461 11 months ago
    Quoted from JayDee:

Probably got your technique down and everything.

You ever give a man your "gentle touch ?"

LTG : )

#462 11 months ago

Saw this on the internet today and it made me think of this thread.

1E7D8A89-7C9D-439A-92D3-41D512D94EA7.jpeg1E7D8A89-7C9D-439A-92D3-41D512D94EA7.jpeg
    #463 11 months ago

I've had the same barber for 10 years, so of course I tip him well.
    Don't wanna piss off yer barber lol.

#464 11 months ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

That’s funny, I do the same thing. And I use the same person every time. She knows so damn much about my personal life, and vice versa. But I treat her well…..

#465 11 months ago
    Quoted from Gryszzz:

My hair is halfway down my back, so I’m getting a haircut once every couple years. I do tip my gal 100%+ on the cut. It’s a 10 minute job, if that. Cut four inches off, all at the same length.

#466 11 months ago
    Quoted from PinJim:

Some ads you can't actually skip until the initial timer (displayed in small text) runs out.

#467 11 months ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

I've noticed that with certain individuals, touchscreens have a real hard time registering their touch.

Obviously frustrating for them, so for people who experience consistent issues across a wide range of screens, I try to suggest a soft tipped stylus or gloves with touch sensitive pads on the fingertips.

#468 11 months ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

It could be that your skin is too dry ? I googled this problem,and this is a short description for the cause of the problem. I have very dry skin, and touch screens give me trouble all the time.

Almost all devices with touch screens these days, from phones to tablets, use capacitive touch screens. These work by using the electrical charge in our skin to sense where the screen is being touched. The electrical charge is greatest when our hands are warm and moist.
    In older people, dry skin is a common problem as less moisture is retained.
    Next time you're out,and you have to use an iPad to pay your bill,just spit on your fingers first.

#469 11 months ago
    Quoted from PinJim:

No I don't have this problem - wait until the button is qualified and then it works immediately when clicked.

#470 11 months ago

If you're drinking in a bar in the US , do you have to tip every time you buy drink .

#471 11 months ago
    Quoted from screaminr:

If you're drinking in a bar in the US , do you have to tip every time you buy drink .

It’s expected if you pay for each drink or round as you are served. If sitting down and staying for a while they normally ask for a CC and start a tab so you don’t leave without paying. If the bartender or server knows you they normally don’t ask for the CC. Either way you don’t have to tip at all. It’s completely optional. I always tip at least a dollar or two per drink or beer but I’m not the kind of guy who takes a 4 or 6 pack to someone’s house to drink and takes the one or two beers that I don’t drink home with me!

#472 11 months ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Some ads you can't actually skip until the initial timer (displayed in small text) runs out.

Yeah, got that. I’m talking about the ads with a timer that greys out the Skip Ads button. Even after its not greyed out anymore, you have to click it a bunch of times before it works.

#473 11 months ago
    Quoted from ralphs007:

It could be that your skin is too dry ? I googled this problem,and this is a short description for the cause of the problem. I have very dry skin, and touch screens give me trouble all the time.
    Almost all devices with touch screens these days, from phones to tablets, use capacitive touch screens. These work by using the electrical charge in our skin to sense where the screen is being touched. The electrical charge is greatest when our hands are warm and moist.
    In older people, dry skin is a common problem as less moisture is retained.
    Next time you're out,and you have to use an iPad to pay your bill,just spit on your fingers first.

Sooooo....you are saying he's too old??

#474 11 months ago

Shocked guys savvy enough to work on pinball machines aren't using a browser that blocks YouTube ads. Using Brave and a Pi-Hole DNS blocker I rarely see any Internet ads or popups and videos work seamlessly with no interruptions.

Im using Android but I assume IOS folks can do a similar setup with a little work.

#475 11 months ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

Shocked guys savvy enough to work on pinball machines aren't using a browser that blocks YouTube ads. Using Brave and a Pi-Hole DNS blocker I rarely see any Internet ads or popups and videos work seamlessly with no interruptions.
    Im using Android but I assume IOS folks can do a similar setup with a little work.

Will that work with a TV? That's how I'm using YouTube 99% of the time

#476 11 months ago

I love how the angry tip thread has turned into a tech tip thread

#477 11 months ago
    Quoted from ultimategameroom:

It’s expected if you pay for each drink or round as you are served. If sitting down and staying for a while they normally ask for a CC and start a tab so you don’t leave without paying. If the bartender or server knows you they normally don’t ask for the CC. Either way you don’t have to tip at all. It’s completely optional. I always tip at least a dollar or two per drink or beer but I’m not the kind of guy who takes a 4 or 6 pack to someone’s house to drink and takes the one or two beers that I don’t drink home with me!

Thanks mate .
    I guess you guys are used to it , I'm just trying to figure out when and where and how much you tip , plus tax .
    I have to say I like our way , you see the price and that's it .

#478 11 months ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

No one has mentioned yet how tipping can get you benefits. Be kind to others and it can come back around.

My wife and I have season tickets at Target Field and the Twins. They have a beer wall with about 22 different beers. A few years ago they started with the swing the screen around for a tip thing. Beers back then were $12ish. Two beers were close to $25 so 20% was close to $5.

Long runs the beer wall. Long is Vietnamese and understands english but doesn't speak it well. Long is the BEST! Super friendly, super nice and pores one hell of a beer. I would always wait and have Long help us.

At some point I asked him if they shared the tips and he said yes. Next game I tipped by handing him a $5 bill and I've done that every game ever since.

Damned if all of a sudden 2 beers cost me the price of one. If my wife is just having water, there's no charge for that. He'll quite frequently throw in a free bag of $6 peanuts.

Same thing happens at a local restaurant we have breakfast at. We ask for the same waitress every time and the tip is always around 25% and is paid with cash. Funny how my senior selection is always a full one and now and then there's no charge for my orange juice and whatever we have to drink.

#479 11 months ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

It's a bit difficult to block ads in the app.

#480 11 months ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

It's a bit difficult to block ads in the app.

Pi-hole unfortunately doesn't block YouTube ads I tried BTW incase anyones interested there's a great group on FB with updated block-lists

#481 11 months ago

I pay for YouTube premium. No ads but the content creators get a cut of the subscription cost instead of advertising revenue.

The ad money goes to the people whose videos you watch. I’m not sure what happened if you blocked the ads maybe YouTube still pays the content creators or maybe they don’t. I don’t mind supporting content creators.

#483 11 months ago
    Quoted from screaminr:

Is Australia similar to the US or different?

#484 11 months ago

Is Australia similar to the US or different?

We don't tip ( but you can if you want ) and there's no TAB , you just pay as you go .

#485 11 months ago
    Quoted from screaminr:

We don't tip ( but you can if you want ) and there's no TAB , you just pay as you go .

basically same...

if you are paying as you go.. you tip as you go
    If you are keeping a tab open you tip when you close your tab

#486 11 months ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

basically same...
    if you are paying as you go.. you tip as you go
    If you are keeping a tab open you tip when you close your tab

If you order a drink at whatever price , do they then add tax on top of it ?

#487 11 months ago
    Quoted from screaminr:

Agreed that the Australian (or European) method is vastly superior for the customer and actually the server (i.e. proper wage, proper benefits). Here, the geenie is out of the bottle. I realize that getting 350 million people here to shift the current mindset is not going to happen. (just look at the push to switch Farenheit to Celsius and feet to meters back in the early 1980s). Tipping waitstaff is engrained in the US culture...this is tolerable. What is not tolerable is basically tipping an ipad when I am handed a croissant while waiting in a line.

#488 11 months ago
    Quoted from screaminr:

If you order a drink at whatever price , do they then add tax on top of it ?

Yes except these 4 states as far as I know.

CECCECD9-2A34-42EB-B101-83CEE72CD116 (resized).jpegCECCECD9-2A34-42EB-B101-83CEE72CD116 (resized).jpeg
    #489 11 months ago

[quoted image]

It's funny how your States have different taxes , over here taxes are a federal issue and every state is the same .

#490 11 months ago
    jim-dumb.gifjim-dumb.gif
    #491 11 months ago
    Quoted from screaminr:

It's funny how your States have different taxes , over here taxes are a federal issue and every state is the same .

Easy now.....you are opening up a potentially huge thread on that subject, lol.

#492 11 months ago

[quoted image]

I believe Alaska should also be on the No sales tax list.

Never trust information you locate on the internet!

#493 11 months ago

We actually call the big ones prawns and tiny ones shrimps and no one actually puts them on the barbie

#494 11 months ago
    Quoted from gandamack:

Easy now.....you are opening up a potentially huge thread on that subject, lol.

Lol , we don't actually care about issues as much as you guys.
    I'm not sure if it's just TV or movies but we will see groups you guys with signs , chanting on Street corners , besides a major march or something you don't get that over here .

#495 11 months ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Next game I tipped by handing him a $5 bill and I've done that every game ever since.
    Damned if all of a sudden 2 beers cost me the price of one. If my wife is just having water, there's no charge for that. He'll quite frequently throw in a free bag of $6 peanuts.
    Same thing happens at a local restaurant we have breakfast at. We ask for the same waitress every time and the tip is always around 25% and is paid with cash. Funny how my senior selection is always a full one and now and then there's no charge for my orange juice and whatever we have to drink.

So they are stealing from the company for tips ... sweet

#496 11 months ago
    Quoted from PinJim:

For your phones, look into NewPipe.

Plays YT vids and skips all ads....

#497 11 months ago
    Quoted from rai:

The ad money goes to the people whose videos you watch. I’m not sure what happened if you blocked the ads maybe YouTube still pays the content creators or maybe they don’t. I don’t mind supporting content creators.

From what I’ve read, no, if you use ad blockers on YouTube, the channels you watch don’t get paid for your views.

#498 11 months ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

No one has mentioned yet how tipping can get you benefits. Be kind to others and it can come back around.
    My wife and I have season tickets at Target Field and the Twins. They have a beer wall with about 22 different beers. A few years ago they started with the swing the screen around for a tip thing. Beers back then were $12ish. Two beers were close to $25 so 20% was close to $5.
    Long runs the beer wall. Long is Vietnamese and understands english but doesn't speak it well. Long is the BEST! Super friendly, super nice and pores one hell of a beer. I would always wait and have Long help us.
    At some point I asked him if they shared the tips and he said yes. Next game I tipped by handing him a $5 bill and I've done that every game ever since.

Bartenders and servers will absolutely hook you up if you take care of them .

#499 11 months ago
    Quoted from screaminr:

Thanks mate .
    I guess you guys are used to it , I'm just trying to figure out when and where and how much you tip , plus tax .
    I have to say I like our way , you see the price and that's it .

That's the common sense way. We're just really dumb here.

#500 11 months ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

Bartenders and servers will absolutely hook you up if you take care of them .

There are two types of bartenders: Bartenders who steal, and bartenders who steal too much.

There are 1,152 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 24.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-the-act-of-tipping-currently-out-of-control/page/10 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.