FBB00C66-18DD-40F3-AA21-F8103B180979 (resized).jpeg
Beavis (resized).jpeg
AE33D1BB-F41C-4178-A8D7-837B712F0FB0 (resized).jpeg
252AEAF0-E708-4BD2-BB2C-BB1C83AF8765 (resized).png
20211130_180340.jpg
20211130_180318.jpg
frame_04_delay-0.1s.gif
62872CE6-6BED-4089-9F16-FE4101B6A8AC (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Chambahz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#254 2 years ago
Quoted from Charlemagne1987:

Godzilla may hit #1 but it won’t stay there. Many new releases have hit high on the list due to initial excitement but they don’t usually have the staying power to remain there. My prediction: if MM loses its crown next week (big IF) then it will come back to reclaim it the very next week. MM has the greatest staying power on the top 100 list.

MM does have the greatest staying power on the top 100 list but consider why that is for a moment. MM was released at the trail end of the pinball boom. Its BOM didn't suffer (unlike the games that came afterward for what... a decade? Longer?) and it was a phenomenal game all around.
I expect that when it was released, code was complete? So you didn't have hundreds of people rate the game poorly based on "launch code".
So for I don't know how many years (15? 20?), MM was considered the best game ever made and continued to collect top ratings from players.
With just under 2000 ratings currently, that average rating of 8.902 isn't going anywhere quickly. One vote for a lower score (say, 7 or even a 2) wouldn't move the average rating one minutia.
Compare that to a new Stern title. Walking Dead is (in my opinion) one of the best games ever made. In fairness, probably not THE best but I do think that it's very under-rated. I believe that the launch code was very rough and the game gave a terrible first impression when it was released. Low scores started pouring in and it wasn't until about a year later than Lyman released the masterpiece code update that turned the game around, into one of my favourite games. So even if people then started giving it perfect 10 scores, the initial reviews would drag it down such it would never come back.
So then decades later, there's a new designer who also codes the rules to his games. To me, this is a HUGE advantage. Designer and Coder (the same person) completely see eye to eye on how they want to use the shots/flow in the game. It's like nothing is wasted or overlooked.
Add to that the fact that Keiths first three games all did very well and Stern is rumoured have given him a higher BOM for this title.
He is/was the worlds top pinball player so he gets it. Knows what's fun to shoot for and what feels good to hit.
Very fortunately, initial code is amazing so not only does the game flow well, the rules are understandable (not 100% but even at .80 the game feels full) and fun.
Compare MMs shaking castle mech. Considered one of the best in pinball but now there's a multi level building that not only shakes, it raises and lowers, altering ball flow. That's pretty innovative! The trapped magnet that helps control the ball, dropping it to the THIRD FLIPPER lines up some pretty great shots/pinball moments.
Not only is there a building mech that's pretty comparable to the castle in MM but you have a shaking bridge that disconnects (hoping we see more from that with updated code), and the mechagodzilla mech!
So to suggest that 24 years later, the best pinball player in the world with a healthy BOM allowance, can't possibly build a game that's better than MM? Ridiculous.

#260 2 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

Indiana Jones Williams is the king IMO. AFM/MM can’t hold a candle to it. TZ would be number 2 then everything else. New pins it would be GNR. MM is only on top because lots of owners overrate this pin. You basically hit a Castle over & over which is impossible to miss as it takes up 1/3 the PF. So doesn’t really matter what unseats anything here. The IPDB is much more accurate of pinball ratings
https://www.ipdb.org/lists.cgi?anonymously=true&list=top300

Pinside ratings might be more accurate if people didn’t pump multiple games as perfect 10s, then dump all other new releases with ratings in the 3s, without explanation (though they’re not as obvious that way, are they?). So it’s somewhat ironic that you of all people would be complaining about ratings accuracy.

#278 2 years ago
Quoted from KozMckPinball:

When another pin holds the top spot for a decade plus, then there might be a point to make.

Could not agree more! Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to go shovel coal into the furnace so it’s nice and cozy while I rewatch the greatest movie of all time, Gone With the Wind.

Seriously though, see post 254 for an explanation of why MM has the top spot even today.

#284 2 years ago

Correct. 1 and 10 are options and should be used as you deem fit. At the end of the day, it’s all personal opinion. If somebody thinks 1’s & 10’s shouldn’t ever be used then convince Pinside to remove them. But they are in play and I’ll use them liberally like I use stones in my soup
[quoted image][quoted image]

Your ratings are a joke and help to make the top 100 completely useless. There’s absolutely no way you can justify the way you’ve rated the pins the way you have other than “I want to alter ratings”.
Seriously? Data East Star Wars is a perfect 10?
Just give it a rest already.

#286 2 years ago

I love how your life revolves around other peoples ratings. Did your enjoyment of machines change because of this? Look at my stones meme, that analogy is intended for you. Is this how you buy cars and clothing? I just rated your post a 1. How you like my ratings now?

It seems as though you're a little triggered. I expect you're a little embarrassed being called out for your childish behaviour?
Why don't you take the time to consider why you would rate the games the way you have, then redo some of them?

FYI: I decided long ago that I wouldn't rate games that I don't enjoy. GnR for example. Does nothing for me. But what's the point in me rating it a 2 or a 3, or whatever the number would work out to? It would just be seen as an insult to those of you who love it. It also wouldn't be fair since I didn't give it much of a chance. So should I rate it a 2 out of ten since I didn't like it initially, or just let others who have actually played the game the chance to give it a more accurate rating? There's already far too much "Us vs Them" on Pinside. No need to add fuel to the fire. It doesn't hurt me if you like a game that I don't. Not a bit.
Since this is a pinball forum (one of the few places where we can share our enthusiasm for the hobby), I don't see the point in throwing stones at games that I don't like.
YMMV

(FYI: ratings do come into play when I'm buying a car or any major appliance since you asked. Don't you read reviews? Weird flex)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
PWM Designs

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, TN
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Richmond, VA
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

11,500 (OBO)
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Chambahz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-mm-about-to-be-dethroned-as-1?tu=Chambahz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.