(Topic ID: 189814)

Is location play "pure" pinball?

By flippersandballs

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flippersandballs.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Hi. I'm Archie from Portland, Oregon (https://www.youtube.com/badmariaprods). I've been thinking how I have more in common with those who've developed what pinball skills they have only in the real world. I've played every type of machine on location since the early 1970s. These are my worthless opinions:

Pinball on location such as a bar, bowling alley or arcade makes for a more authentic experience than at home, in a show, or in a tournament. There's limited time, space, and money, and you have to play the machines as they are. A weak flipper, music that's too loud, or a worn playfield aren't ideal, but definitely more real.

Location play is also more social. You have the opportunity to enjoy watching and playing the games with strangers, and to teach or learn from them. You can do that in a show, too, I guess, but I bet you can't drink or eat there as comfortably. And you're more likely to wait in long lines at a show to play a new game once, than to casually walk up to it.

Playing on location also supports your local bar, bowling alley, or arcade.

Any other thoughts on this?

#4 6 years ago

Hi @parabol420. That's true about Portland, and for a pinball fan it's great. I didn't even consider the part about lack of access. I do hope people get out to more pinball in the wild, even if they have to travel a few miles.

#7 6 years ago

Hey @o-din, you got it!

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

I'd say it's playing the game as intended by the designer, since it was designed to be played on location rather than in a basement, but most location games are dirty and broken, so I'd rather play them in nice condition.

Hey @jwilson, depends on where you go. Sorry to hear that your experience on location has been bad.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flippersandballs.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-location-play-pure-pinball?tu=flippersandballs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.