(Topic ID: 189814)

Is location play "pure" pinball?

By flippersandballs

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

Hi. I'm Archie from Portland, Oregon (https://www.youtube.com/badmariaprods). I've been thinking how I have more in common with those who've developed what pinball skills they have only in the real world. I've played every type of machine on location since the early 1970s. These are my worthless opinions:

Pinball on location such as a bar, bowling alley or arcade makes for a more authentic experience than at home, in a show, or in a tournament. There's limited time, space, and money, and you have to play the machines as they are. A weak flipper, music that's too loud, or a worn playfield aren't ideal, but definitely more real.

Location play is also more social. You have the opportunity to enjoy watching and playing the games with strangers, and to teach or learn from them. You can do that in a show, too, I guess, but I bet you can't drink or eat there as comfortably. And you're more likely to wait in long lines at a show to play a new game once, than to casually walk up to it.

Playing on location also supports your local bar, bowling alley, or arcade.

Any other thoughts on this?

#2 6 years ago

You also have one of the best pinball locations in the country. Not all of us have that many places to play locally to us, so we have to resort to home play, tournaments, or shows.

I do agree though, pinball out in the wild is the best.

#3 6 years ago

It's fun playing pinball anywhere. But "pure" pinball? For me it's a game that's actually working correctly so I'm not gonna dis playing a game at home.

#4 6 years ago

Hi @parabol420. That's true about Portland, and for a pinball fan it's great. I didn't even consider the part about lack of access. I do hope people get out to more pinball in the wild, even if they have to travel a few miles.

#5 6 years ago

Putting money in a machine and doing your best to win a free game despite whatever condition the machine is in is pure pinball to me.

#6 6 years ago

I'd say it's playing the game as intended by the designer, since it was designed to be played on location rather than in a basement, but most location games are dirty and broken, so I'd rather play them in nice condition.

#7 6 years ago

Hey @o-din, you got it!

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from flippersandballs:

Hey o-din, you got it!

Yeah. I got it a long time ago. If one flipper isn't working does that mean give up? Hell no! I'm going to show this thing how skilled I really am.

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's fun playing pinball anywhere. But "pure" pinball? For me it's a game that's actually working correctly so I'm not gonna dis playing a game at home

Great response, The reason I bought my first game was to be able to play a game was working correctly.
    I more so like playing my games that are tuned up the way I like them to play.

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

I'd say it's playing the game as intended by the designer, since it was designed to be played on location rather than in a basement, but most location games are dirty and broken, so I'd rather play them in nice condition.

Hey @jwilson, depends on where you go. Sorry to hear that your experience on location has been bad.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Putting money in a machine and doing your best to win a free game despite whatever condition the machine is in is pure pinball to me.

Totally get and agree with this statement! But pure pinball would be how the games play at the Stern factory.

#12 6 years ago

OP, sounds like you've been playing poorly maintained games I would rather play a game that is running like a well oiled machine, than a game that's been neglected with a dirty playfield, weak flippers, broken rubbers, etc location or not. Playing on location shouldn't mean playing shitty machines. Playing on location should mean that it just happens to be somewhere other than your home. Good operators would have maintained machines that you would have in your basement. By the logic of your original post, there are some home owned machines that look like they've had thousands of plays on them without once taking off the glass. Would you rather play that than a location machine that actually plays well? Of course not!

#13 6 years ago

I would rather play at home or another collectors house every time. Most location pinball is hard to hear, and rarely set up right. Portland is pretty good for pinball though.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from Nexyss:

I would rather play at home or another collectors house every time. Most location pinball is hard to hear, and rarely set up right.

This.

I was at a barcade in SC a few weeks back. All the pins were maintained very well, but the sound was so low or off entirely, you couldn't hear a thing. No sound really hurts the pinball experience, especially for band theme games.

#15 6 years ago

There is nothing like learning a game on location where you have to play better or pay more and you can't hear anything. The replay is an accomplishment especially if not in perfect condition.

We all get to decide what "pure" pinball is to each of us and to me that is a well kept game on factory settings with the glass on with a credit on it. Sweet.

#16 6 years ago

I love playing pinball in bars, but it's not social in any way for me, I like to go to a bar or barcade by myself, buy a drink and focus on playing a game for a half hour. It's not a lot different to playing my games at home.

#17 6 years ago

Location pinball in itself is not pure pinball, in the classic sense. Say you take your home machine and bring it to a regional show and let other people play it for free. Is it now pure pinball whereas when it was in your basement it was not? Same machine but on location now. The classic sense I think, would be pay to play and other players lined up and\or watching. If you can replicate this in your basement then it is pure pinball in the classic sense. (Gotta look good to the people watching...) IMHO.

#18 6 years ago

Pinball was originally designed as a money making device built to stand up to abuse on location. And hopefully return more to the op than his original investment and beyond.

Where random players, some experts and some just learning could be pulled in by the flashing lights and sounds and try their luck at a game they had to pay money just to practice on. There was never a time where a player would restart a game just because he had a bad ball one. Every ball played matters.

The money was put into a coin slot, not into ridiculous add on toys and blinding colored lights. It is a commercial coin op machine. This is and was pure pinball and what differentiates it from toys or other amusements designed for use at home.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Pinball was originally designed as a money making device built to stand up to abuse on location. And hopefully return more to the op than his original investment and beyond.
    Where random players, some experts and some just learning could be pulled in by the flashing lights and sounds and try their luck at a game they had to pay money just to practice on. There was never a time where a player would restart a game just because he had a bad ball one. Every ball played matters.
    The money was put into a coin slot, not into ridiculous add on toys and blinding colored lights. It is a commercial coin op machine. This is and was pure pinball and what differentiates it from toys or other amusements designed for use at home.

Not even sure what this means. The same commercial machines are in our basements, unless you have a zizzle or the SM home edition. Pure pinball can easily be replicated in a home as I already described.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Not even sure what this means.

It means the pure pinball experience includes using the coin slot and making sure every ball counts. And I don't have a basement.

#21 6 years ago

Buying and maintaining three pins of my own has opened my eyes to just what relatively "cheap fun" on location pinball is -- especially at three games for two bucks. Plus, I always feel I'm supporting something I love and believe in.

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

It means the pure pinball experience includes using the coin slot and making sure every ball counts. And I don't have a basement.

Which is replicable in a home environment whether you live in the basement or not.

#23 6 years ago

Which is replicable in a home environment whether you live in the basement or not.

I have some of my games that take coins at home and that is as close as I can make it to the pure pinball experience as I can.

What is missing though is the journey to some random place and finding random games that you may or may not have played yet or have put the high score on a few days ago, but now you find somebody else that you don't know has replaced your initials with his. Or to find your game has now been mysteriously replaced by another but you go ahead and play it anyway. That is all part of the pure pinball experience to me.

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I have some of my games that take coins at home and that is as close as I can make it to the pure pinball experience as I can.
    What is missing though is the journey to some random place and finding random games that you may or may not have played yet or have put the high score on a few days ago, but now you find somebody else that you don't know has replaced your initials with his. Or to find your game has now been mysteriously replaced by another but you go ahead and play it anyway. That is all part of the pure pinball experience to me.

Agreed. Pinball leagues can be pure pinball. Organized and time restrained tough. And could be hosted at home. I guess my opinion is "location" can mean a home environment.

#25 6 years ago

Pinball leagues can be pure pinball.

I don't do pinball leagues or tournaments because part of that includes playing games that I may have already decided I have had enough of or didn't like in the first place. Not the pure pinball experience IMO.

In a location setting I gravitate towards the ones I do like or haven't played yet. And the ones all the cool kids are gathered around (at least they used to).

#26 6 years ago

"Pure" pinball? My idea of "pure"...

1) The machine needs be in complete working order.

2) You need be able to *hear* it.

3) "Pay to play" is necessary. Be that coin-op or tourney. No risk, no reward, right? Everything else is "practice." hahaha

Best thing to remember: Pinball doesn't have to be "pure" to be the greatest hands-on game of all time. Am I right?

#27 6 years ago

No such thing as pure pinball, there are no purity tests, no arbiters of how you're really supposed to experience things.

I miss arcades and the arcade experience, but that doesn't mean it was more pure. Just a cool era that has passed on now.

It's fun to find location pins. Most places aren't blessed like Portland. it can feel special, but that doesn't mean it's better.

#28 6 years ago

I think O-din nailed it. I think that as designed- pure pinball is playing in an arcade using real money and doing anything and everything to either win a free game or set the high score and memorialize your initials for all to see- at least until some A-hole kills your score. That's what they were designed to be- that's what employeed thousands of chicagoans and that's basically the only reason pinball exists historically- that's purity to me. But it's such as amazing game I think that has absolutely nothing to do with enjoying the game.

I actually enjoy playing at home with friends more than at a location- however- All my games take quarters and scoring a special is still fun at home and I play them to score specials.

#29 6 years ago

2016 - I have 2 of the best location pinball places anywhere. Lanes & Games had all the newest Stern games. Pinball Wizard had a massive selection including classics. It was wonderful because I could drive anywhere from 1 to 1.5 hours and play all afternoon. Good times.

2017 - There is no pinball around me. Both locations closed. If it wasn't for my house and friends and league (in private homes), I wouldn't be able to play pinball.

My pinball is pure.

#30 6 years ago

The nature of entertainment has changed. A couple of decades ago, families ate at home and then went out to have fun. Now we are more likely to dine out and then come home for entertainment. It's difficult to explain the relevance of location play in such a cultural shift.

#31 6 years ago

Pure pinball in the wild?

4 quarters, 5 hours later, name on the board.

Free balls, free games from high scores, and a match to boot.

Pinball Gods are Good!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-location-play-pure-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.