(Topic ID: 258135)

Is Die Hard a Christmas Movie?

By dirkdiggler

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Is Die Hard a Christmas Movie? ”

• Yes 186 votes
      86%
    • No 31 votes
      14%

(217 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3049 (resized).JPG
    FGAHn (resized).jpg
    21E530D4-E23B-42C0-82F0-6E05CCB86A95 (resized).jpeg
    9EBD903D-DF7E-438C-84A7-BAE46FBC7ED6 (resized).jpeg
    D7D1D689-9C61-45A9-ADA3-A214B99052D3.gif
    FA82D7BC-9256-4F6A-BAFE-AEF13E1ABB40.gif
    8C746BE2-3943-4CA8-9DD2-45EF35B9D971.gif
    diehard (resized).PNG
    181203_Die-Hard-Xmas_fullwidth (resized).png
    diehard (resized).JPG
    C378CBA1-D1C1-4206-852F-E02CCA269FCE (resized).jpeg
    612304_1.jpg
    There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

My wife and I both consider Die Hard a Christmas Movie. Last night both her brothers and cousin disagree. Thoughts?

Is Die Hard a Christmas Movie?

612304_1.jpg612304_1.jpg
    #2 4 years ago

Any movie that takes place during Christmas can be considered a Christmas movie.

#3 4 years ago

Of course it is. lol it takes place during a Christmas party. I think it qualifies.

#4 4 years ago

It's the best Christmas movie.

#5 4 years ago

Die Hard is the ultimate Christmas movie.

#6 4 years ago

Why is this even a debate OF COURSE Die Hard is a Christmas movie!!!

#7 4 years ago

The screenwriter has said it is a Christmas movie. `Nuf said

#8 4 years ago

There's some people that think a Christmas movie must be released around Christmas; these people are idiots.
    Miracle of 34th Street was released in may, and Gremlins in June... Thats all the proof needed.
    Bruce Willis i believe has said it is not a Christmas movie, again proving it is.

#9 4 years ago

Yes, and so is Gremlins

#10 4 years ago

Ho ho I have a machine gun.

#11 4 years ago
    C378CBA1-D1C1-4206-852F-E02CCA269FCE (resized).jpegC378CBA1-D1C1-4206-852F-E02CCA269FCE (resized).jpeg
    #13 4 years ago

Are these Christmas movies?

Lethal Weapon
    On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Batman Returns

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from Gunnut40:

Ho ho I have a machine gun.

Just watched this scene (watching the movie now), grab a device to check pinside and look what I see. Heh.

Ofc it’s a Xmas movie. It’s the Xmas gift wrapping movie.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bos98:

[quoted image]

The first few Harry Potters are also Christmas movies.

Quoted from rennervision:

Are these Christmas movies?
    Lethal Weapon
    On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Batman Returns

Yes - On Her Majesty's Secret Service is maybe my favorite Christmas movie.

#16 4 years ago

So Jaws the revenge and Edward scissor hands are Christmas movies too..

http://strangersandaliens.com/2013/12/jaws-the-revenge-strange-christmas-movies-2-of-24/

#17 4 years ago

Die Hard is most assuredly a Christmas movie and Predator is a Thanksgiving movie. At least in my household with my 12 yo daughter. My wife on the other hand does not subscribe to this awesomeness...

#18 4 years ago

Is Home Alone a Christmas movie?
    If yes, then Die Hard is definitely a Christmas movie - the plot to both/either can be summed up the same: it’s Christmas time, and the main character spends the duration of the movie foiling the plot of the robbers...

#19 4 years ago

Just watching it now. Of course it is.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from mbasnight:

Just watched this scene (watching the movie now), grab a device to check pinside and look what I see. Heh.
    Ofc it’s a Xmas movie. It’s the Xmas gift wrapping movie.

Fun fact, they made a Funko Pop figure of Tony...the guy John Mcclane killed to get the machine gun, but they changed the wording on the shirt to remove "machine". I guess that word pushed it over the edge?

diehard (resized).JPGdiehard (resized).JPG
    #21 4 years ago

Die hard made me the man I am today...a barefoot over broken glass badass

#22 4 years ago

Apparently this subject is a hot debate item throughout the country. Here is the result of a national poll taken in late 2018:

(Personally, I'm on the fence on this issue - but note - I LOVE the movie regardless of its Christmas or Non-Holiday status!)

181203_Die-Hard-Xmas_fullwidth (resized).png181203_Die-Hard-Xmas_fullwidth (resized).png
    #23 4 years ago

A different poll with a wildly different result!

(This is a more recent poll from December '19 from the Hollywood Reporter: )
    diehard (resized).PNGdiehard (resized).PNG

#24 4 years ago

Is this a serious question? Of course it is.

#25 4 years ago

Shit ya J your family don’t know shit. Merry Christmas

#26 4 years ago

The Elephant in the room is, "Where in the hell is my Die Hard Pin?"

#27 4 years ago

Die Hard is more reverent than Rick and donkey and Stranger than things , haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

The Elephant in the room is, "Where in the hell is my Die Hard Pin?"

Data East had a liscene to make a Die Hard arcade game in 1996, but unfortunately had sold off their pinball division to SEGA by then.
    I would have been rad if they would have made one.

#29 4 years ago

Here:

On December 24, 2017, screenwriter Steven E. de Souza stated on Twitter that Die Hard is a Christmas film. However, at his Comedy Central Roast, Willis declared "Die Hard is not a Christmas movie! It is a goddamn Bruce Willis movie!"

I don't care what he says, it's a Christmas movie.

#30 4 years ago

Yes, it is a Christmas movie. Not only does the movie take place during Christmas, but also Christmas is a central part of the movie. That is a reason why the cops ignored the shooting thinking it was fireworks. Also the reason why the robbers committed the crime during a Christmas party, since this would serve as a distraction.

#31 4 years ago

Die hard is not a christmas movie it is THE christmas movie.

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from Twilight1:

Shit ya J your family don’t know shit. Merry Christmas

Haha. Right? Rosy was fired up and shocked her brothers thought it wasn't. Merry Christmas to you too T

#33 4 years ago

IMO if any movies story takes place on or around the holiday then it is a movie of that holiday.
    Now do people like to refer to it as a Christmas movie? That is very subjective, if you like guns or hostage movies then Die Hard is a Christmas movie. If you don't like those things then you do not hold the style near and dear and you will argue that it is not a Christmas movie. What defines a Christmas movie?

So do you differentiate Christmas movies from movies that are set around Christmas?
    If so then you have an argument if you do not then you have no argument.

Halloween movies are also the same here are some examples:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_set_around_Halloween

#34 4 years ago

Best damn Christmas movie ever made!
    8C746BE2-3943-4CA8-9DD2-45EF35B9D971.gif8C746BE2-3943-4CA8-9DD2-45EF35B9D971.gifD7D1D689-9C61-45A9-ADA3-A214B99052D3.gifD7D1D689-9C61-45A9-ADA3-A214B99052D3.gifFA82D7BC-9256-4F6A-BAFE-AEF13E1ABB40.gifFA82D7BC-9256-4F6A-BAFE-AEF13E1ABB40.gif

Merry Christmas everyone!

#35 4 years ago

No Die hard is not A xmas movie!

Its THE xmas movie
    Yipeekiyay!

Gremlins too!!!

#36 4 years ago

Die hard 2 is around Christmas time as well isnt it? Has the jingles playing through the trailer...

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinPatch:

Die hard 2 is around Christmas time as well isnt it? Has the jingles playing through the trailer...

Both Die Hard and Die Hard 2 take place on Christmas Eve.

#38 4 years ago

Personally I love the move but I dont believe is a Christmas movie. The story takes place during Christmas simply as a vehicle for why John flies from NY to CA to see his estranged wife & why there is a big party in the tower at night.After that is established it plays no role in the move & There is no Christmas message

#39 4 years ago

Is it still Home Use Only if somebody borrows my Die Hard DVD and watches it at their home?

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from msj2222:

Personally I love the move but I dont believe is a Christmas movie. The story takes place during Christmas simply as a vehicle for why John flies from NY to CA to see his estranged wife & why there is a big party in the tower at night.After that is established it plays no role in the move & There is no Christmas message

True it wasn’t made as a Christmas movie, it’s just been adopted as one, Die Hard is as synonymous with Christmas as Home Alone. Neither need a Christmas message they are both just great movies to watch during the holidays with family.

#41 4 years ago

This idea of Die Hard as a Christmas movie is a recent one. When it came out it definitely wasn't (it was released July 12, 1988).

Growing up I used to watch it all the time, all year long.

At some point in recent history it became "A Christmas movie" and people watch it during Christmas.

#42 4 years ago
    9EBD903D-DF7E-438C-84A7-BAE46FBC7ED6 (resized).jpeg9EBD903D-DF7E-438C-84A7-BAE46FBC7ED6 (resized).jpeg
    #43 4 years ago

I was curious so I looked up Home Alone's release date: Nov 16, 1990. So that was definitely released as a Christmas movie.

Die Hard 2 (which also takes place during Christmas) was released July 2, 1990.

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

True it wasn’t made as a Christmas movie, it’s just been adopted as one, Die Hard is as synonymous with Christmas as Home Alone. Neither need a Christmas message they are both just great movies to watch during the holidays with family.

Well, would that make Lethal Weapon a Christmas movie then !?

#45 4 years ago

I’ll just put this here ...
    21E530D4-E23B-42C0-82F0-6E05CCB86A95 (resized).jpeg21E530D4-E23B-42C0-82F0-6E05CCB86A95 (resized).jpeg

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from msj2222:

Well, would that make Lethal Weapon a Christmas movie then !?

It is in my house

If anything that’s got a Christmas message in it, at the beginning of the movie they don’t know each other Murtaugh pretty much dislikes Riggs because they are so different but by the end of the movie they are friends and Murtaugh invites Riggs to spend Christmas with his family.

#47 4 years ago

For those who haven't seen it, and a Die Hard fan. There's a series on Netflix called The MOVIES That Made Us. Really cool behind the scenes making of some historic franchises. We've watched the Die Hard and Ghostbusters episodes so far. Probably watch the Home Alone one next. If you have a hour I'd highly recommend it.

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

It is in my house
    If anything that’s got a Christmas message in it, at the beginning of the movie they don’t know each other Murtaugh pretty much dislikes Riggs because they are so different but by the end of the movie they are friends and Murtaugh invites Riggs to spend Christmas with his family.

OK, good enough. I'll buy into that

#49 4 years ago

My favourite Christmas movie is The Lion in Winter. Like Die Hard, it takes place during Christmas but it’s not about Christmas. Kate Hepburn gives an oscar-worthy performance, as does the rest of the cast.

#50 4 years ago

"Ho ho ho. Now I've got a gun."

Sounds like Christmas to me.

There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-die-hard-a-christmas-movie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.