• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20231227_014324.jpg
#1 4 months ago

Do I need my head examined?

Collectors often sell a given pin, only to miss it later and reaquire it. Sometimes the second example quickly reminds them of why they sold the first one and it, too, is sold soon after, etc.

However, how many collectors have replaced, without any waiting, a pin with another example of the same title, just to explore the idea that, if every pin has a personality, and if your pin’s personality is awful, would replacing it with another example land you a better game with a better personality, one you could keep and live with? Well, as obsessive as that might sound, it’s exactly what I did with my Wonka.

I’m guessing at least some of you have had these same thoughts, so I will share with you what my little experiment has taught me:

1. I added $750 to the proceeds from the sale of my first game to buy the second game, although nearly $600 of that went towards shipping. The second game was billed as newer and without clearcoat issues, so the upcharge seemed reasonable. Am I proud to have squandered $750 on this experiment? No.

2. Mirco playfields have wonderfully crisp, colorful silkscreened art, and they seem to block/polish their clearcoat to the point that it’s way more glasslike than that of, say, Stern. Sadly, though, they aren’t very flat. My two-sample survey shows that they change pitch and level from one section to another. Measure here: dead level. Measure a foot away: leaning right. Another foot away: steeper. Another foot away: leaning left and less steep. They also hammock a significant amount, so your pitch between the flippers will be more lax than your pitch two-thirds up the playfield. Mirco must be skipping some basic playfield drying/stabilizing step at his factory because these things are like potato chips.

3. My first Wonka suffered from frequent SDTM drains from balls exiting the pops – perhaps one in five. The ball would go into the pops nest and I would be filled with dread, wondering if the ball would be tossed SDTM. It was maddening! The second Wonka has been far less punishing this way. Whew!

4. My first Wonka had a plunge-aligment issue that took a ton or time/work to resolve. No one else in the owners club thread reported having the same issue. Sure enough, my second Wonka has no such issue.

5. Both Wonkas of mine have been the LE model, so they have the blue trim. Their build dates are separated by one year. The blue of the second game is darker and heavier. It appears to be a two-stage finish, with clearcoat applied over a base coat, and the hue’s darkness changes slightly depending on the viewing angle. This effect really isn’t present with the first game’s trim.

6. The first Wonka had space enough in the cabinet to accommodate a set of Cointaker mirror blades, which are significantly thicker than a set of vinyl Art Blades. The second game’s cabinet is so snug that there simply isn’t room for the mirror blades.

7. I would say the hardness of the playfields is more or less the same – which is to say, it’s just slightly less prone to dimpling than that of a modern Stern or Spooky. Spooky uses Bader playfields, which, like Mirco’s, are made in Germany. It would surprise me if Bader and Mirco didn’t use much the same production techniques and wood sources. Plenty of people rave about Spooky playfields. My TNA had a terrible playfield that chipped badly and required a difficult repair, so I’m a dissenter. My first Wonka – from the initial run – had significant clearcoat chipping in the usual places; the second game so far has none. Both examples have roughly 400 plays.

8. The Factory Ramp’s wireform return on the second game is misshapen and drops the ball in a way that disturbs its course to the flipper, stealing some inertia. The point: well, simply that wireforms matter and there is QC variation from one set to another.

Conclusion:

If you take anything away from this post, I hope it’s this: don’t do it! Don’t spend your hard-earned money to replace a game with another example of the same game, chasing what you hope will be a pin with a better personality. The second machine’s personality will indeed be different, but on balance it won’t be any better. In some ways it will be better, in other ways worse.

#2 4 months ago

I’m on my fourth Star Wars and it shoots better than the all of the previous three. It’s a premium and I can even backhand the death star shot. This one is going nowhere and I’m super stoked to have it!

So… it works out sometimes for sure

#4 4 months ago

Even comparing same-level trims you can have vastly different feels for machines- Don't know if you have been to Litt nearby, that GZ is "broken-in" the shots feel like they are traveling along a predetermined path which I found to play amazing because of this, but to get there you'll need to have 10-15k games on it or much more.

#5 4 months ago

Your good I always do that at one point I had two of the same games at the same time lol

#8 4 months ago

I just bought a 2nd getaway. Have them next to each other. Lol.

#9 4 months ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

I nominate you as human duplicate-thread finder!

Are those threads intended to discuss selling a pin to immediately buy the exact same pin again? This seems indeed like a different topic. And a bit wackier. And interesting to consider.

#10 4 months ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

Are those threads intended to discuss selling a pin to immediately buy the exact same pin again? This seems indeed like a different topic. And a bit wackier. And interesting to consider.

Nope. It is the same topic. Seems rare to me someone can turn around and buy a same title right away after selling one.

#11 4 months ago

Good decision making comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad decision making.

#12 4 months ago
Quoted from chad:

The Law has it all saved and indexed.

He is.....THE LAW!

#13 4 months ago

I have 2 Whitewaters, Circus Voltaires and Dirty Harrys right now. Had 3 Whitewaters at one time and 2 Scared Stiffs. Don't think I've ever sold a game then bought another of the same title later.

#14 4 months ago
Quoted from chad:

The Law has it all saved and indexed.

Pinside threads are super easy to remember. I had to run in the basement today to find 2 gifts I forgot to wrap. That goes along with the $50 scratchers stocking stuffers I've hidden & can't find.

#15 4 months ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Nope. It is the same topic. Seems rare to me someone can turn around and buy a same title right away after selling one.

One of us is misunderstanding. And hey, it could be me. The opening post of those other two threads asks if people have owned the same title more than once. I sold my Metallica a year ago but would consider buying another someday - that's the topic in question on those threads. It's super common, and most people wouldn't consider it weird. This thread, however, is about basically swapping pins out but keeping the title the same. That would be me selling my Dialed In LE and then IMMEDIATELY buying another. That would indeed seem weird to many. I'm not getting that vibe in those other two threads. Either way, I'm interested in -this- thread due to that immediate turn around, not so much the others.

#16 4 months ago

I have 3 Stern Spider-Man machines - Red, Black and Comic.
No, I don’t think it’s weird.

#17 4 months ago

This makes sense to me. Suppose you have a machine that needs some work but is still worthy of playing and you're thinking you would like a cleaner example of said machine. You find the same machine in excellent condition so you decide to buy it and sell off machine number one. If you were to put the time and money into machine number one it will play differently that it did originally, so yeah I get it.

#18 4 months ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

One of us is misunderstanding. And hey, it could be me. The opening post of those other two threads asks if people have owned the same title more than once. I sold my Metallica a year ago but would consider buying another someday - that's the topic in question on those threads. It's super common, and most people wouldn't consider it weird. This thread, however, is about basically swapping pins out but keeping the title the same. That would be me selling my Dialed In LE and then IMMEDIATELY buying another. That would indeed seem weird to many. I'm not getting that vibe in those other two threads. Either way, I'm interested in -this- thread due to that immediate turn around, not so much the others.

I could see some folks getting frustrated with the “personality” of one machine, and after wrestling with trying to tame that personality for awhile, simply selling it to a new owner and starting with a fresh new machine with hopefully different personality.

If the money is close, and the hassle does not bother you, I could see it…

#19 4 months ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

One of us is misunderstanding. And hey, it could be me. The opening post of those other two threads asks if people have owned the same title

Oh my. Different wording, same meanings.

Just like getting 5 different sets of directions to get to the same place.

#20 4 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Pinside threads are super easy to remember. I had to run in the basement today to find 2 gifts I forgot to wrap. That goes along with the $50 scratchers stocking stuffers I've hidden & can't find.

Ha...daughter found the stocking stuffer in a chair I looked in 2 times. Then I just found 2 presents I forgot aboot. Ok wrapped and ready to hide somewhere in plane site.

20231227_014324.jpg20231227_014324.jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

9,600 (OBO)
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

9,699 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.50
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 32.99
$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Travahontas Mods

$ 24.25
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-replaced-my-pin-witha-duplicate and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.