(Topic ID: 203109)

How many hate ratings will TNA get this week?

By jgentry

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 144 posts
  • 62 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Whysnow
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1910506_815172491835837_1164619264453680694_n (resized).jpg
87ECAD60-B3FE-481E-B09A-E265586D0D08 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20171119_131813.jpg
AnimalHouse-Otter-Defense (resized).jpg
fe97fc7176cf94beef156f8353a399ea--working-in-retail-dave-chappelle (resized).jpg
Player-Haters-Ball-Quotes-008 (resized).jpg
bogus rating 1 (resized).JPG
Capture (resized).JPG
20171120_091940 (resized).png
Screenshot_20171120-085916 (resized).png
There are 144 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 6 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

I dont disagree with this at all. The system should be transparent. I think the rating system needs to be done away with altogether and replaced with a ranking system based on pinsiders top 10 machines. Much like the way we can add games to our collection, we should have a list of our top 10 favorite machines which we can edit at any time. Then each spot in the top ten is assigned a point value which ranks them, say #1 spot is worth 10 points, working your way down to spot #10 which is worth one point. This would make people pick a top ten and not just go give perfect ratings or terrible ratings that permanently stay to whatever their flavor of the week is. The games would constantly be moving up and down the rankings based on peoples collections changing and their taste in games changing.

I like that idea, but need atleast a top 20. 10 games is not enough.

#52 6 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

a ranking system based on pinsiders top 10 machines

I agree that a numeric system lacks balance, but the top 10 would leave the bottom 200 un-populated I own a Raven and wouldn't put it in my top 10.

#53 6 years ago

Interesting. How about a 100 Point system too gets 100 points and you are able to have up to 100 Games. But must have 15 in order for your ranking to qualify.

#54 6 years ago

I'd love to see the charts get some sort of new approach. A simple ranking system, just place your favorite games in order from top to bottom, doesn't even have to be games you own. It would also allow you to better update your opinions, as right now its a lot of work to revisit reviews you wrote for a titles from years ago.

It would better replicate music charts like Billboard. Titles would surge with new interest, then slowly drop.

A simple rank would avoid a lot of the pumping and dumping. imo.

#55 6 years ago

how about a system like http://www.kittenwar.com/

you pick your favorite from 2 pins at a time. The pin with the most head to head selections wins. Super hard to game the system

#56 6 years ago

I'm on the fence about ordering one. I enjoyed the few games I put on it. Just not sure yet if it will hold me as a single player game as that's 90% of my game time. Loved the sound/lights/fast action. "Upper" playfield could maybe have more satisfying shots.?
On my wish list, just want to play more before I decide.

#57 6 years ago

LOL. So if you rate a game a 10, you think it could NOT possibly be better. When a code update comes around, does the rating go into Spinal Tap territory?

Just like with Olympic competition, the extremely high and extremely low scores should be thrown out (Soviet judge).

You can't trust anyone rating things a 10 or a 1. Obvious agenda.

#FakeRatings

#58 6 years ago

I couldn't give less of a f— about Pinside ratings. I don't rate games, I don't read the ratings. Still happy for Scott, it's a cool little acknowledgment of his hard work.

But knowing that people can vote to block someone's rating because they don't like them makes them extra lame, what a dumb system.

TNA is exactly the kind of game I want being made right now, I'd be happy to rate it higher than any other current pin. That's the point of ratings, they're personal. Anyone who doesn't agree with my opinion shouldn't be able to block it because they're a baby.

#59 6 years ago

Love how the fanboys give it their "honest" opinion and rate it No1 after barely playing it... not saying it's a bad game, but how about dating the girl for a while before you marry her ?...

I think if you want to know if someone is making an effort to rank impartially just check to see if their ratings are spread out or are just top and bottom heavy...

While I'm at it...Why do some feel they have to hand out 10s to everything? (Feel free to throw in the LEGO "Everything is Awesome" tune here...) Seriously, is there nothing in the game that can be improved upon? Is there no other game that has ever been built, or that can ever be built, even compare? May as well just stop all pinball production because we have found the perfect game! If you have a favorite game and you fanboy it up to a 10 then shouldn't the rest at least be under a 10??

There I feel better now...

#60 6 years ago
Quoted from Dr-Willy:

I think the rating system needs to be done away with altogether and replaced with a ranking system based on pinsiders top 10 machines.

The key thing is that written game reviews are preserved and to the extent possible, encouraged. I don't care if Whysnow or Who-Dey gave a game a 10 or a 3 or whatever, but it is nice to be able to read thoughtful comments on how a game plays (Caucasian2Step is of course Exhibit 1, but there are others). For people that don't have a chance to play games before buying, those narrative reviews can be very useful.

Yes, it's lame that some people are trying to "game" the rankings numbers with super high and super low reviews. But I'm not sure why the moderators would want to wade into moderating reviews. How can they tell if someone's an iconoclast, an idiot, or an anarchist trying to bring down the entire rankings system?

As-is, sham rankings (or hyper-enthusiastic/hyper-negative rankings, if you prefer) should average out as a game is out longer and the 99.9% of Pinside that isn't interested in gaming the stats has a chance to weigh in. Yes the rankings have to be taken with a grain of salt, but I'd bet they're a decent reflection of how Pinsiders as a whole regard most games, with the exception of new games that rush to the top for a bit but everyone knows won't stay there.

#61 6 years ago

I'm happy that TNA is being built and is so well received. It is by no stretch the best pinball machine of all time.

#62 6 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

LOL. So if you rate a game a 10, you think it could NOT possibly be better. When a code update comes around, does the rating go into Spinal Tap territory?
Just like with Olympic competition, the extremely high and extremely low scores should be thrown out (Soviet judge).
You can't trust anyone rating things a 10 or a 1. Obvious agenda.
#FakeRatings

I tend to agree, but because the system is based on ratings of "excellent", "good", "decent", "not so good", "poor", and "terrible" I can see why some might give it a perfect score. I don't have any games rated above an 8.8, because even on my favorite games there are individual things that are just good. However, if someone rates the GAME RULES as excellent and improvements are made it's still going to be excellent. I don't feel that is hypocritical. There is a tier above which everything is still going to be excellent. I'm actually much more likely to flag low scores. A select few have games with an overall score of 1.0-3.0. There just has to be some manipulation going on there. I get not liking the PLAYFIELD LAYOUT, THEME, FUN, etc. but I could never objectively rate everything about a game as poor or terrible. For example, I dislike South Park but the THEME is good, the BACKGLASS is good, the SIDE ART is good. So while it's a machine I'd walk past on location it still came out as a 5.7 on my ratings. I like the trimmed means for ratings, but all ratings are still going to favor newer games. Those that aren't excited about a game aren't going to rush out to play one to rate it...so take anything from the current year with a grain of salt.

#63 6 years ago

I think if the ranking didn't start until there was like 50 ratings it would lessen the impact of the few supposedly gaming the system (or just being fanboys or haters).

And for the record TNA is above excellent, it is AWESOME! (that would be an 11) and I'm impatiently waiting for #95 to come to my house where I will hug it and squeeze and hold it tight and name it George.....

#64 6 years ago

Should be a review system... not a ranking system.

The fact people who already know the game spend so much time looking at what others have written about it shows the tool is more about the tool itself... instead of the value it's supposed to provide.

The number of threads and posts about 'what is ranked XYZ' shows too many people care too much about meaningless things.

#65 6 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

I think if the ranking didn't start until there was like 50 ratings it would lessen the impact of the few supposedly gaming the system (or just being fanboys or haters).
And for the record TNA is above excellent, it is AWESOME! (that would be an 11) and I'm impatiently waiting for #95 to come to my house where I will hug it and squeeze and hold it tight and name it George.....

Looking at the games that you have rated no wonder you think this is an 11! Go out and try a few more games man!

#66 6 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Should be a review system... not a ranking system.
The fact people who already know the game spend so much time looking at what others have written about it shows the tool is more about the tool itself... instead of the value it's supposed to provide.
The number of threads and posts about 'what is ranked XYZ' shows too many people care too much about meaningless things.

You may have a point...but if they dont rank them here they will rank them somewhere else...may as well be here

#67 6 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

Looking at the games that you have rated no wonder you think this is an 11! Go out and try a few more games man!

It's much more likely that he has played a ton of games and just doesn't rate many of them unless he owns them or they have made a big impression one way or another.

#68 6 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

tried lots and lots of games, just not much for doing ratings or ranks or meh

#69 6 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

tried lots and lots of games, just not much for doing ratings or ranks or meh

That is kind of my point... by ranking those old Gottleibs 8s and 9s (as good as they may be) you dont leave much room for higher rankings... (well unless you think Gottlieb is da bomb!)

#70 6 years ago
Quoted from Sammy31:

That is kind of my point... by ranking those old Gottleibs 8s and 9s (as good as they may be) you dont leave much room for higher rankings... (well unless you think Gottlieb is da bomb!)

You might want to get some time on a few of those. Some of them are the bomb. Joker Poker in particular is freaking awesome.

#71 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

You might want to get some time on a few of those. Some of them are the bomb. Joker Poker in particular is freaking awesome.

I do, just not enough to rank properly.

#72 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I think if the system allows people to flag into oblivion, it should atleast make the flaggers public so others can see.

Hilton, your obsession with how and why people conduct themselves and who they are is dangerous.

#73 6 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

Hilton, your obsession with how and why people conduct themselves and who they are is dangerous.

Dangerous? I could see "amusing" or "annoying" but it's not like he's waving a gun around or something.

#74 6 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

"Upper" playfield could maybe have more satisfying shots.?

or eliminated all together.

#75 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Dangerous? I could see "amusing" or "annoying" but it's not like he's waving a gun around or something.

i wasnt referring to being dangerous for the community/rest of us.

#76 6 years ago

If you go out and find all the pinball owners that dont know what pinside is and ask them how would they rate TNA, they'll have no idea what you're talking about.

Top 100 games are recognizable games that the world loves and plays. You'd have trouble finding more than 20 TNA's out in the wild.

"my favorite game is TNA, you've probably never heard of it" - Pinball Hipster

#77 6 years ago

#20 on the way here! Could not be happier! I brought it to mix up my collection, ratings are biased on most games so I tend to review comments from pinsiders who’s opinions I value, rather than just look at the actual rating.

The passion Spooky has brought back to Pinball is what I support. I just like playing Pinball and having fun...a lot on Pinside these days just want to be negative.

I also laugh at BM66 rating....this will be a gem when complete! Last updates have really begun to define where the pin is going. (Rating biased due to higher cost of pin and beta code, Stern should be rated here not the game)

Back to TNA, January can’t come soon enough.

#78 6 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

Quoted from greenhornet:

i wasnt referring to being dangerous for the community/rest of us.

Please clarify yourself. Are you making some sort of threat towards me?

#79 6 years ago

The ratings are horseshit anyways, who really cares.

#80 6 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

If you go out and find all the pinball owners that dont know what pinside is and ask them how would they rate TNA, they'll have no idea what you're talking about.
Top 100 games are recognizable games that the world loves and plays. You'd have trouble finding more than 20 TNA's out in the wild.
"my favorite game is TNA, you've probably never heard of it" - Pinball Hipster

There's countless games in the top 100 that most pinball people would have never seen or had a chance to play. Much less love playing them.

Do you know why there's only 20 TNAs out to play at the moment? That about how many they have made so far. That will increase every week and more and more people will get to play them.

#81 6 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

GreenHornet, it's incredibly easy to put a cloaking device over Hilton. He literally disappears and you don't have to worry about it!

#82 6 years ago

Player-Haters-Ball-Quotes-008 (resized).jpgPlayer-Haters-Ball-Quotes-008 (resized).jpg

#83 6 years ago

fe97fc7176cf94beef156f8353a399ea--working-in-retail-dave-chappelle (resized).jpgfe97fc7176cf94beef156f8353a399ea--working-in-retail-dave-chappelle (resized).jpg

#84 6 years ago

I can't wait until The Sanctum gets one and I play it. Only then will I comment on the gameplay, feel and overall mood it gives me.

As for Pinside ratings, they are horseshit and getting worse. It has turned into a pump and dump that I cannot imagine anyone would actually use them to buy or sell a game. New games are the worst since people would rate based on company. Games should not even be able to rate until 5 years out of production. Way too subjective and born from the culture of "what game should I buy" threads. Buy what you like!

As for the rating system I hope it is skewed so questions like "It is fun" is worth 50% and "cabinet art" or "repetitive sounds" are 5%.

I know there are players, collectors, restoration people, tournament players . . . but you can't satisfy everyone so if anything it should be tuned to people playing and having fun. Otherwise the granularity would be stupid. Imagine the system encompassing these type of people / questions like "Length of time until value increase", "Availability of parts and quality of reproduction parts" or "Does it have even scoring".

I'd rather judge a game based on questions that don't add to an overall rating but let you know about the game like this -

Is this game good for a small or larger collection?
Does this game have long or short ball times?
Is this game better as a home owned game for complexity and learning or a good one more game on route game?

#85 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

The ratings are horseshit anyways, who really cares.

Its lame agreed but it must be since we have to relive this exact same shit conversation every time

#86 6 years ago

I am totally into ramp games and at first glance TNA doesn't interest me; but I am willing to give every game a chance as my first impression of multiple games has been way off. All of the excitement around this game (and the awesome appearance and sound) has me excited to give it a try. Hopefully the PHOF in Vegas has one when I visit in February. I don't rate games until I've played them at least 5 times and 10 is preferable.

#87 6 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

or eliminated all together.

It's a good place to send balls during multiball and it also builds the reactor jackpot. Also you get some good pinball action up there.

Quoted from Sammy31:

how about dating the girl for a while before you marry her ?

I spent pretty much two days straight playing it - easily 50 or more games. That's plenty to know if it's any good. It is.

#88 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Its lame agreed but it must be since we have to relive this exact same shit conversation every time

Then why are you even in this thread?

#89 6 years ago

man had no idea what this thread was about and then I see TNA as #1 in the charts. I remember mustang was #1 once!!!

#90 6 years ago
Quoted from SpookyCharlie:

He also has a heavy use location that is close to Spooky HQ, so we have good access to address any issues before we ship a pile of games.
It's a pleasant surprise to see this game at #1 to say the least... got me to go in and under complete bias rate my first game ever this morning! We're proud that Scott has managed to change a few minds on what "fun pinball" is and can be. Pretty amazing when you play this game and think about it.
Scott Danesi is awesome! So is Eric at JJP... and it's great to see young guys stepping in and making a difference. Pinball needs that in a big way.

Hey Charlie - you know what's pretty goddamn funny is that TNA damn near knocked Swords of Fury out of the top 100 -it's tied at 99... You bastard, you almost killed LIONMAN !

#91 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

Hey Charlie - you know what's pretty goddamn funny is that TNA damn near knocked Swords of Fury out of the top 100 -it's tied at 99... You bastard, you almost killed LIONMAN !

Scott FALL ON YOUR SWORD.

#92 6 years ago

SCOTT DANESI IS AWESOME.
Wish I had the shirt to prove it.

#93 6 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

SCOTT DANESI IS AWESOME.
Wish I had the shirt to prove it.

No shirt needed. Get one of those "SCOTT DANESI IS AWESOME" tattoos.

LTG : )

#94 6 years ago

LTG throwin the gauntlet down.
Challenge accepted.

#95 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

man had no idea what this thread was about and then I see TNA as #1 in the charts. I remember mustang was #1 once!!!

Really? Learn something new everyday.

#96 6 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

Really? Learn something new everyday.

Yea lots of new pins have started on pinside at #1......

#97 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballSTAR:

If the whole fraternity system is guilty, then isn't this an indictment of our educational institutions in general? I put it to you: isn't this an indictment of our entire American society? Well, you can do what you you want to us, but we're not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America. Gentlemen!

AnimalHouse-Otter-Defense (resized).jpgAnimalHouse-Otter-Defense (resized).jpg

#98 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Please clarify yourself. Are you making some sort of threat towards me?

(deleted by mod team)

#99 6 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

GreenHornet, it's incredibly easy to put a cloaking device over Hilton. He literally disappears and you don't have to worry about it!

youre kidding me right?
i like him.
the guy is a barrel of monkeys.
where can you find someone who: 1] often takes unjustified opinions and will never adjust his thinking despite evidence to the contrary, 2] is unwilling/unable to make a solid argument, 3] whose comebacks lack substance and amount to throwing @#$% at the wall and hoping something sticks. from a logic standpoint, debating with him is like shooting fish in a barrel.

#100 6 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

I do not think you will be letting yours go anytime soon.

Just so we are clear. Dibs.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, DE
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
ScottieIA Mods

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Valley Center, KS
$ 169.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 144 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-many-hate-ratings-will-tna-get-this-week/page/2?hl=dngrwillrobinson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.