Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by leckmeck
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC02995.JPG
    DSC02996.JPG
    DSC03387.JPG
    Beer cap wisdom.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

I am picking up a 62 major league Baseball game as well as a EM Gottlieb pinball. The base ball game is 65 1/2' long and a little deeper than a regular pin. the head is 19" deep not like a regular pin head of 9". Is it possible to get another regular pin in the back of the bed.

I plan to pick rent a caravan from Avis but am unsure of the interior dimensions. Dimensions I found on the web are cryptic mostly volume related and I sense I am missing something.seems like you could.

Steve J

#2 9 years ago

3, with one strapped to a dolly. this is in a chrysler town and country 2005 with the fold flat seats. I've rented the newer style van and everything should fit the same way.

The trick to loading is first put both cabinets in the back coin door first and use a piece of plywood on top of the glass to make a shelf. load the heads from the inside (wrapped in a blanket) on top of the 2 games. then load the last cabinet strapped to the dolly through the side door, strap it down and put the head on top. done.

you should have enough room for a game that is a bit longer. I've done gottlieb system 80 games which are a bit deeper, but you should have enough floor space.

To answer your question...2 normal length games will fit no problem and room for 4 people. the longer game might knock out one of the seats.

-c

-c

#3 9 years ago

I guess your pic's did not attach. Love to see them the pic's if you mean't to attach some with your description should confirm what I can do. Nice idea with the plywood. :
    Steve J.

#4 9 years ago

I can confirm 3 in a Odyssey as well. Just like Craig stated, two in the back, one in the side. My Odyssey suspension is a bit tired so the exhaust dragged a bit coming out of a driveway lol.

#5 9 years ago

You shouldn't have a problem fitting those two games in a Caravan.

#6 9 years ago

Oh man, I thought this was going to be some completely whacky post with a photo of your caravan stuffed with like 7 machines, some with sections out the windows.

Make it happen, you owe us now.

#7 9 years ago

I only have a pic of RazerX and I loading up to come back from Allentown. with 2.5 games and room for 4 people. it was a tight fit. 2 games in the back and one between the rear seats (was a nice table) . Coats and bags wherever they would fit.

The largest load the van has had was ES (on a dolly), Embryon, and surf champ. there was about 2 inches of space between the 2 games in the back.

you wonder why i go through so many struts

If it's just you in the van and you're going a long ways you might want to move the games in front of the back wheels a bit or have one in the back and one through the side. With 2 system 80s in the back the van bounces around a lot.

-c

#8 9 years ago

A friend and I did a bulk buy of 16 games about a dozen years ago. It took us four trips with a Chrysler minivan. After removing the center and rear row of seats in the Chrysler we were able to get 4.5 games in it. Bodies two wide and two tall in the back. The middle row had four heads and one more body on top of them.

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from SteveinTexas:

I plan to pick rent a caravan from Avis but am unsure of the interior dimensions.

Dont they rent P/u trucks?

#10 9 years ago

Caravans/Voyagers/Town and Country minivans are THE defacto pinhauler. Just look at how many you see in the parking lot of the York and Allentown shows. They're well suited for haulin' pins.

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Caravans/Voyagers/Town and Country minivans are THE defacto pinhauler.

I agree if its raining its the best option,but a wise beer drinker tells otherwise.

Beer cap wisdom.jpgBeer cap wisdom.jpg
    #12 9 years ago

Two will be a cakewalk. I managed two EMs and a pretty large jukebox in a new Caravan; one EM was stacked on top of the other between the middle doors, the heads were upright behind them, and the juke was by the tailgate. I think if one were determined, and not opposed to stacking games, one could probably do 4. (two in from the back, two stacked on top of them, and heads upright between the middle row doors.)

#13 9 years ago

It will be a 1400 mile trip with me and my wife so i want to be somewhat comfortable and see out of the rear mirror a bit and not be bouncing on the rear axle. Sounds like 3 is possible using the plywood on top of a machine so can put the heads on top and Dirt flipper coming round and selling the 3rd game to me, not likely though at the moment but i want the room if....

My issue and why I am asking is the baseball games dimensions and my last trip a month ago was nearly a horror due to lack of planning and bad luck.

I rented a Ford Expedition and had a flat on the I-10 in Louisiana. We had to get access to the jack compartment so had about 1/4" spare room it seems, it was close. I thought one of them 18 wheeler's would side swipe me and the missus if had to get the game out of the back to fix it. That's not how I wanted to be remembered on Pinside with the remark "What a plonker, he should have rented a dodge caravan what was he thinking about!".

The base ball game head is 19 " high on top of the cabinet depth of 20 1/2" + ply 1/2" thick would be the worst combination so need 40" height clearance for at least 36" length to fit that machine. The length of cabinet is also 65 1/2" and 25" wide (for reference-Gottlieb wedge head is 51 1/4" long and 22 1/2" wide).

With another pin Gottlieb C37 cross ways and 22 1/2" wide is 88" total length. At the back with the ball game and a regular pin parallel we have then 25' + 22 1/2" need 47 1/2" total wide minimum with them theoretically touching. I think this is OK as we have about 96" between front side back and closed back door i believe. If height and width works 3-4 machines is doable per Craig and Mike experience. The baseball game is the big worry though.

Atomicboy,

I can't get seven in though because of the baseball game dimensions, so no picture with seven games stuffed in coming this time sorry!

Steve J.

Post edited by SteveinTexas: Can't spell Expedition

#14 9 years ago

Hey Pin it I have a P/U and have rented a U haul before, it is the way to do it, but my ass was numb after a 1000 miles.

Why not ship it? I can't wait, worry and I would never meet you fine guys!

Steve J.

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from SteveinTexas:

have a P/U and have rented a U haul before,

1st post didnt say the mileage you had to travel ,1400 mi.[thinking was one pin a time local p/u] is a bit of seat time but if your meeting fellow pinball enthusiasts on your way to purchase some machines ,all the better. Great way to see the country before winter hits.
    Good luck on your travels.

#16 9 years ago

Oh, coming up here? You're gonna need a bigger truck.

#17 9 years ago

I would think quite a few actually. My wife has a 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan and a few years ago I put four games in the back of it, Judge Dredd, DE Playboy, Dolly Parton and Dancing Dolls along with 16 NOS playfields as well as our luggage and we drove to the Allen town show. It only took me and a buddy of mine three hours to figure out how to do it though......LOL. Good times !!

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, Mi.
    269-979-3836

#18 9 years ago

Ive had 4 in a honda oddysey no passengers though

#19 9 years ago

I believe I have a confirmed answer...... 4

DSC03387.JPGDSC03387.JPG

#20 9 years ago

Yup, definitely no question now its 4!

Question answered and proved.

3 weeks later
    #21 9 years ago

All,

Just home from our (wife and I) 1,400 mile trip from Minneapolis, MN to Sugar Land, South Texas. What a beautiful week end. Experienced the trees autumn colors change in reverse. Lovely clear, crisp fresh air with a low temp of 23 F between Minneapolis, MN and Cedar Falls, Iowa. It was 37 F in St Louis Mo Saturday afternoon, and finally 75 F in Houston Texas this afternoon.

Met Rod aka "DirtFlipper", Jason aka "Leckmeck" and Dennis Dodel and picked up a game from each. Meeting these guys was the highlight of the trip. They have great collections and are super to meet in person. - PRICELESS!

Oh and what the post is about. I got three games (one a baseball game) easily in the hired Dodge Caravan.

Regards Steve J.

DSC02996.JPGDSC02996.JPG DSC02995.JPGDSC02995.JPG
    #22 9 years ago

Sounds like you bought from some of the best in the hobby. I've met dirtflipper and leckmeck and have heard lots of good things about Dennis and his pinball journeys of the past.

Congrats!

#23 9 years ago

Wow, what a trip! Glad to see you made it home safely with all your new acquisitions. It was nice meeting you and your companion. Too bad there wasn't more time to play a few games!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-many-em-pins-can-a-dodge-caravan-carry and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.