IMG_4555 (resized).jpeg
Screen-Shot-2016-08-09-at-5.56.01-PM-1 (1) (resized).png
images (1) (resized).jpg
20230916_092647 (resized).jpg
IMG_6233 (resized).jpeg
355856304_697356105736402_5391198079879870950_n (resized).jpg
347397333_637333801120904_2232225860895767743_n (resized).jpg
AEA8576E-3F5C-49E3-B2C7-00ECA322C796 (resized).jpeg
There are 1,479 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 30.
#1 2 years ago

Thoughts

#2 2 years ago

It's a fine line between clever and stupid.

#3 2 years ago

It will probably function as well as their on-stage pods.
Stuck (resized).jpgStuck (resized).jpg

#4 2 years ago

Best thing I can say is that the bar was set pretty low with Thunderbirds... can this one be better?

#5 2 years ago

not a theme im into personally.

#6 2 years ago

Never saw it, Homepin sucks… easy pass.

#7 2 years ago
spinal (resized).jpgspinal (resized).jpg
#8 2 years ago

Multiball better get up to 11

#9 2 years ago

I'm obviously not the biggest homepin fan, but that could be a fabulous license....

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

Multiball better get up to 11

My youngest and I were just discussing this "rock band" yesterday! He had seen memes about turning up to 11, had NO IDEA where it came from.
I schooled him.

#11 2 years ago

Great theme for pinball.
But a lot of question marks with tbis company and game.

Can they produce in a timely fashion?
Will they have all the assets?
Etc..

#12 2 years ago

Any pics of the game out yet?

Did Balcer design this?

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from Dantesmark:

Historically we’ve seen folks double down on those question marks.

#14 2 years ago

Consider me interested; they have a lot to prove, but who knows, they may really surprise us!

#15 2 years ago
1E9B747B-4FE0-45F9-AAFC-FA5415B9FED4 (resized).jpeg1E9B747B-4FE0-45F9-AAFC-FA5415B9FED4 (resized).jpeg
#16 2 years ago

Wow, they teased this like 2 years ago. Took them long enough to get their shite together only to tease it yet again.

#17 2 years ago

Spinal Tap as theme is fantastic, Balcer designs are solid (if he is the designer) and Homepin has at least proven they can build a pin. Obviously Thunderbirds was a terrible design with even worse rules, however when i have played it the mechanics of the game seemed fine (other than the stupid flipper buttons). I'll give spinal tap some serious thought.

#18 2 years ago

I wonder if they got anyone from the band for callouts.

#19 2 years ago

I hope they don’t F this up like thunderbirds.

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from Dantesmark:

Great theme for pinball.
Can they produce in a timely fashion?
Will they have all the assets?
Etc..

I don't have concerns on buying a game from Homepin. They are a well established company with a proven record of delivering products and games (well, only one pinball but that's how you start). I would definitely have to see the game before ordering but I don't think there are many question marks about Homepin as a company.

#21 2 years ago

If it was made by any other company, I’d be excited.

#22 2 years ago

All I know is SPINAL TAP has fewer letters than INTERNATIONAL RESCUE so the ruleset can't help but be slightly improved over the last Homepin offering.

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

If it was made by any other company, I’d be excited.

Even deeproot???

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Even deeproot???
//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"f6bf055d5c5c24f0883f26ea07dbaa7e0a3ecc7a-1630421937-1800"};
//]]>

That’s not a company imo.

#25 2 years ago

If it were Spooky, AP, CGC, Haggis, or Stern making the announcement I’d almost be jumping for joy at this point!

With HP however, I admit I balk a little. I doubt I am alone in remembering how condescending and nasty things got for a time here on the forum. On the other hand this company has, in fact, “put its money where its mouth is” and successfully designed, built, and sold at least some quantity of Thunderbirds machines, an accomplishment that shouldn’t be overlooked in this era of pinball crooks and charlatans!

I mean, obviously T’birds isn’t likely to crack the “Top 100”, but I have to give credit where credit is due: it is a fully-baked, playable machine which does have some redeeming qualities in theme, game play, and art/appearance, and I don’t get the impression that it has been a QC and/or playfield catastrophe. As far as I am concerned, that is a genuinely laudable achievement and they have earned some goodwill on my part, regardless of any personality disorders that may exist behind the scenes.

Will definitely loom large on my radar despite my slight reservations! I truly hope they hit a grand slam with this and establish themselves as a genuine “major player” in the industry.

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from Thermionic:

With HP however, I admit I balk a little. I doubt I am alone in remembering how condescending and nasty things got for a time here on the forum.

100% this. I don’t want to give money to people like this.

#27 2 years ago

I hope it’s built to specifications.

8EA83B66-F4B0-4392-93F7-0DE66DC1422A (resized).jpeg8EA83B66-F4B0-4392-93F7-0DE66DC1422A (resized).jpeg
#28 2 years ago

You're absolutely right. I bet you can gather funding, form a company, build a factory overseas, move said factory to another country, and design and build a pinball machine from the ground up in a *lot* less time. All in the middle of a worldwide pandemic.

I say go for it. Quit your day job. I like your moxy.

create

Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:Wow, they teased this like 2 years ago. Took them long enough to get their shite together only to tease it yet again.

#29 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

All I know is SPINAL TAP has fewer letters than INTERNATIONAL RESCUE so the ruleset can't help but be slightly improved over the last Homepin offering.

This made me laugh out loud

#30 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

THIS IS SPINAL TAP THE MOVIE THE PINBALL

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

What if you have to spell SPINAL TAP eleven times?

#32 2 years ago
Quoted from Dantesmark:

Homepins Spinal Tap!

ryan-reynolds-but-why.gifryan-reynolds-but-why.gif
#33 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

100% this. I don’t want to give money to people like this.

That argument holds no traction with me. My times talking with Gary Stern haven't exactly been pleasant experiences: I've mentioned a string of unfinished code (I own WOF) and why I should support a company like that, and he gets downright nasty. Didn't prevent me from buying Jurassic Park and Iron Maiden. I support the product. If Homepin knocks it out of the park with this one, I'd love to support them. The guy may be a twit, coarse and overly direct, and about as cuddly as a cactus teddy bear, but there are no shortage of people like that in this hobby.

For the record, I don't think this will be a home run - I believe it will be better, but I don't think they have the knowledge, budget, and talent (yet) to use actors/assets appropriately. Plus, balanced rulesets that are fun to play are tough to make (which is why everyone doesn't do it). I've played enough homebrew games to know that blinking lights and targets that respond don't make a fun pinball machine, and a good theme and even a good playfield can be brought down by poor rules or uninspired integration with said theme.

That said, another pinball machine! This seems like a real affordable license, and gives hope for weird "C" level themes that are both affordable and could really surprise folks and be boutique hits. If Ultraman and Halloween can be made, why not G-Force, Mork and Mindy, etc...

#34 2 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

I don't have concerns on buying a game from Homepin. They are a well established company with a proven record of delivering products and games (well, only one pinball but that's how you start). I would definitely have to see the game before ordering but I don't think there are many question marks about Homepin as a company.

Aren't there people still waiting on the toppers that they were promised?

#35 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I thought the toppers were/are shipping. Like, right now.

#36 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

No they are going out currently. Mike followed through. We actually are offering a few extras to some of our USA customers.

#37 2 years ago
Quoted from mikeflan:

That argument holds no traction with me. My times talking with Gary Stern haven't exactly been pleasant experiences: I've mentioned a string of unfinished code (I own WOF) and why I should support a company like that, and he gets downright nasty. Didn't prevent me from buying Jurassic Park and Iron Maiden. I support the product. If Homepin knocks it out of the park with this one, I'd love to support them. The guy may be a twit, coarse and overly direct, and about as cuddly as a cactus teddy bear, but there are no shortage of people like that in this hobby.

I don’t see any bigoted hate speech noted in your conversation with Gary.

I’ve never heard of Gary speaking to other people that way. I’ve seen Homepin talk that way on this site multiple times. I don’t want to support people like that.

#38 2 years ago

"Contractually obligated to present"?

That makes it sound like they were forced to do something.

#39 2 years ago

PinballSTAR is the USA distributor for Homepin - whatever Homepin announces and when they do - if you think you may be interested you can email us at [email protected] to get on an interested list when info is available to send out we'll send an email blast out. I think everyone will be quite impressed.

TY
Joe Newhart
PinballSTAR Amusements

#40 2 years ago

I heard this isn't based on the movie but the medical procedure...

Quoted from westofrome:

THIS IS SPINAL TAP THE MOVIE THE PINBALL

#41 2 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

"Contractually obligated to present"?
That makes it sound like they were forced to do something.

I think it's supposed to be a joke.

But it's not funny and It's certainly not a "spinal Tap" reference as I've seen that movie 50 times and it doesn't ring a bell.

Things are off to a banging start!

#42 2 years ago

To be followed up with "COLONOSCOPY: The Pinball. Feel the Bun!"

Quoted from mikeflan:

I heard this isn't based on the movie but the medical procedure...

#43 2 years ago
Quoted from Chuckwebster:

Spinal Tap as theme is fantastic, Balcer designs are solid (if he is the designer) and Homepin has at least proven they can build a pin. Obviously Thunderbirds was a terrible design with even worse rules, however when i have played it the mechanics of the game seemed fine (other than the stupid flipper buttons). I'll give spinal tap some serious thought.

Balcer did not do this playfield, he was ghosted after many productive conversations. Take that for what it is but I know I won't be buying one until I play and it would have to knock my socks off.

#44 2 years ago

Maybe an in joke regarding a real life law suit involving the band, though I can't imagine the license holders going for that.

See below:

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/creators-of-spinal-tap-to-turn-dial-to-11-in-400m-lawsuit-1.2967873

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I think it's supposed to be a joke.
But it's not funny and It's certainly not a "spinal Tap" reference as I've seen that movie 50 times and it doesn't ring a bell.
Things are off to a banging start!

#45 2 years ago
received_372551844473508 (resized).jpegreceived_372551844473508 (resized).jpeg
#46 2 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

My youngest and I were just discussing this "rock band" yesterday! He had seen memes about turning up to 11, had NO IDEA where it came from.
I schooled him.

You told him they were from The Simpsons, right?

85165E41-509C-414D-9D10-5C15E23C1B5C.gif85165E41-509C-414D-9D10-5C15E23C1B5C.gif
#47 2 years ago

I have a feeling this pin will be underwhelming. I'm definitely NOT thrilled with the theme.

#48 2 years ago

I'm not sure how sales will be. Homepin's audience thus far has been extremely selective.

#49 2 years ago

I like how they've carried the theme over to the PCBs...

SpT Board (resized).jpgSpT Board (resized).jpg
#50 2 years ago
Quoted from RobertWinter:

I like how they've carried the theme over to the PCBs...[quoted image]

Epic

There are 1,479 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 30.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/homepins-spinal-tap?hl=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.