(Topic ID: 240832)

Help a noob thread! :-) My first pinball machine. Help!

By captainBR

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Daditude
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider daditude.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from captainBR:

Howdy y’all!
Since I seem to keep getting down votes for posting my noobie questions in other threads, but also several very kind offers to help me out in private chat, I thought that I would start a specific thread to “help the noob” where those who have the patience to deal with my/our “stupid questions“ can help out, and also leave a history for other noobs in the future. I hope that THIS is OK!
I had planned to only buy one pinball machine, but now I seem to have several on the way to me. The NIB ones are my biggest concern at the moment, as they’re probably irreplaceable.
What are the most important things that I should be aware of, and do, to ensure decades of fun play, and to preserve the value for future owners? e.g.: install PF protectors before a single play? (and how exactly is that accomplished?); swap out LEDs? (maybe that’s only for old machines); “upgrade“ software? (and is there some way to save multiple versions of software to reinstall for different types of play?); And dozens of other questions I don’t even know to ask?
I hope I’m not starting a war zone here. My questions are ignorant, and my goal is to reduce ignorance, not start religious wars. Please, let’s keep this a safe space for noobs, where the kind, patient, helpful old timers can create more of the same from current ignoramuses.
Many thanks to all of y’all who come in here and help me out before I do something stupid to a precious machine!
CAP

Im a big believer in trying to make improvements to pinballs when i own them. Maybe that is LEDs, touching up the cab, fixing previous hacks, etc. Certain fixes add value...some are a waste of money. Try to stick with those that don't devalue it.

If you buy NIB, there is little to improve upon other than lights, sound, and mods. Obviously, this is at your discretion.

You always want to wax, clean, and re-rubber periodically to take care of them regularly.

There is very little to worry about if you buy NIB other than typical maintenance. Old machines require most knowledge and expertise. I certainly recommend getting at least obe older machine and trying to learn to repair and do fix ups on it.

Austin has a ton of pin collectors and dealers.
Contact Brandon Haney (owns oldies but goodies). He not only sells pins, but he fixes and refurbishes them as well. You definitely want to get to know him.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Balls of Steel LLC

$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

14,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ashland, KY
15,000 (OBO)
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 11.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Twisted Tokens

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

12,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 22.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Houston, TX
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider daditude.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-a-noob-thread-my-first-pinball-machine-help?tu=daditude and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.