(Topic ID: 240832)

Help a noob thread! :-) My first pinball machine. Help!

By captainBR

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Daditude
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Howdy y’all!

Since I seem to keep getting down votes for posting my noobie questions in other threads, but also several very kind offers to help me out in private chat, I thought that I would start a specific thread to “help the noob” where those who have the patience to deal with my/our “stupid questions“ can help out, and also leave a history for other noobs in the future. I hope that THIS is OK!

I had planned to only buy one pinball machine, but now I seem to have several on the way to me. The NIB ones are my biggest concern at the moment, as they’re probably irreplaceable.

What are the most important things that I should be aware of, and do, to ensure decades of fun play, and to preserve the value for future owners? e.g.: install PF protectors before a single play? (and how exactly is that accomplished?); swap out LEDs? (maybe that’s only for old machines); “upgrade“ software? (and is there some way to save multiple versions of software to reinstall for different types of play?); And dozens of other questions I don’t even know to ask?

I hope I’m not starting a war zone here. My questions are ignorant, and my goal is to reduce ignorance, not start religious wars. Please, let’s keep this a safe space for noobs, where the kind, patient, helpful old timers can create more of the same from current ignoramuses.

Many thanks to all of y’all who come in here and help me out before I do something stupid to a precious machine!

CAP

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from captainBR:

What are the most important things that I should be aware of, and do, to ensure decades of fun play, and to preserve the value for future owners?

Putting a playfield protector on a brand new game will keep the playfield pristine and most likely help with resale.

However, depending on the game it can be a pain to install without help, and if you try to sell, the next owner might not like them and want it removed.

If you take great care of the game (regular cleanings and waxing and changing balls after they lose shine or get scuffed up), that should help hold the value of the game.

Every game past 2013 or so has LEDs already. Swapping in LEDs in older games is not a must, but some like it.

Quoted from captainBR:

upgrade“ software? (and is there some way to save multiple versions of software to reinstall for different types of play?);

Not really how it works. If you got in on a game from the ground floor and saved all the code files as they came out, you could go back and install the old code. But code updates not only change the rules and scoring they have important system updates or bug fixes that you need for optimal performance of your game. When and update comes out, I suggest installing it and don’t back track after that. My personal opinion.

Also, please use the search function of this website as best you can. 99.9% of the questions you have are covered on this site in great detail.

Good luck!

#3 5 years ago

Part of my problem is that I don’t even know what to ask; nor do I know what to search for. :-p
That’s all right, I’ve been bumbling along OK; I’ll continue to find my way through the fog.

#4 5 years ago

I will tell you right now that your machine will get use and show wear. They all do. You can minimize it by waxing and routine ball/rubber changes but it will never be NIB again. Be OK with that. Enjoy your game and don't worry about keeping it pristine. Once you have it setup in your home just have fun. But be sure to vacuum and wax the playfield first

(Oh and use Blitz carnuba wax and follow Vid1900's cleaning/waxing guide)

#5 5 years ago

Open box.
Follow setup instructions.
Play game.
Have fun!

Don't overthink this. It's a machine designed for hard use in bars and bowling alleys. It will be fine in your house.
If you are worried, wax the playfield and replace the cheap factory pinballs with high quality ones.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from captainBR:

Part of my problem is that I don’t even know what to ask; nor do I know what to search for. :-p
That’s all right, I’ve been bumbling along OK; I’ll continue to find my way through the fog.

Don’t try to learn it all in one day. Read as much as you can on here, play as much pinball as you can and it will all start making sense overtime.

#7 5 years ago

Uh oh. Someone has the bug. Next you know and you'll be looking for more space.

1 week later
#8 4 years ago

@ryanstl isn't that what friends' houses are for?

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from captainBR:

Howdy y’all!
Since I seem to keep getting down votes for posting my noobie questions in other threads, but also several very kind offers to help me out in private chat, I thought that I would start a specific thread to “help the noob” where those who have the patience to deal with my/our “stupid questions“ can help out, and also leave a history for other noobs in the future. I hope that THIS is OK!
I had planned to only buy one pinball machine, but now I seem to have several on the way to me. The NIB ones are my biggest concern at the moment, as they’re probably irreplaceable.
What are the most important things that I should be aware of, and do, to ensure decades of fun play, and to preserve the value for future owners? e.g.: install PF protectors before a single play? (and how exactly is that accomplished?); swap out LEDs? (maybe that’s only for old machines); “upgrade“ software? (and is there some way to save multiple versions of software to reinstall for different types of play?); And dozens of other questions I don’t even know to ask?
I hope I’m not starting a war zone here. My questions are ignorant, and my goal is to reduce ignorance, not start religious wars. Please, let’s keep this a safe space for noobs, where the kind, patient, helpful old timers can create more of the same from current ignoramuses.
Many thanks to all of y’all who come in here and help me out before I do something stupid to a precious machine!
CAP

Im a big believer in trying to make improvements to pinballs when i own them. Maybe that is LEDs, touching up the cab, fixing previous hacks, etc. Certain fixes add value...some are a waste of money. Try to stick with those that don't devalue it.

If you buy NIB, there is little to improve upon other than lights, sound, and mods. Obviously, this is at your discretion.

You always want to wax, clean, and re-rubber periodically to take care of them regularly.

There is very little to worry about if you buy NIB other than typical maintenance. Old machines require most knowledge and expertise. I certainly recommend getting at least obe older machine and trying to learn to repair and do fix ups on it.

Austin has a ton of pin collectors and dealers.
Contact Brandon Haney (owns oldies but goodies). He not only sells pins, but he fixes and refurbishes them as well. You definitely want to get to know him.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

14,275 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dallas, TX
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.50
Playfield - Protection
The MOD Couple

13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 25.50
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 31.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 19.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

14,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ashland, KY

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-a-noob-thread-my-first-pinball-machine-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.