(Topic ID: 342879)

Have you kept a pin simply because you love the theme?

By M3RI0

7 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 38 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by pinmister
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Love pin theme but not having as much fun as I would like.”

• Sell/Trade and get something new. 31 votes
    50%
  • If you love it like you say you do, hold onto it. 23 votes
    37%
  • Open a beer and try to get good. 8 votes
    13%

(62 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

gollum-my-precious.gif
#1 7 months ago

Just curious.
I'm torn. I'm debating on trading my machine because it's the only way I can get something new at the moment but I love the theme, it is something close to me.

What have you all done in this situation?

Sell/trade to get something else or keep it because I may regret letting it go?

#2 7 months ago

Like my Guns n Roses,love the theme,but it’s not the greatest playing pin.Depends on your collection,I will keep mine…Save some money and buy something new later…
Regards Fred

#3 7 months ago
Quoted from M3RI0:

Just curious.
I'm torn. I'm debating on trading my machine because it's the only way I can get something new at the moment but I love the theme, it is something close to me.

I say keep it, any other pinsiders in your area you can do a temporary trade with? It’s a great way to freshen it up for the both of you and at the day you still have your dream theme.

#4 7 months ago
Quoted from M3RI0:

Just curious.
I'm torn. I'm debating on trading my machine because it's the only way I can get something new at the moment

There's a lot of people that can't afford a second machine, especially now with the prices as wonky as they are. You need to ask yourself,
"Is what I have rare" and "Is it popular making it hard to reacquire?" If either/both answers are no then sell/trade away with no remorse.

#5 7 months ago
Quoted from M3RI0:

Just curious.

Every time I’ve sold a game when I have space to add, I’ve regretted it.

#6 7 months ago

Everything In my house moves, even its a " grail theme" . There is just too much coming out and that's out there to not try. I don't have unlimited funds and or room so keeping things fresh is a must plus its great to always have something to look foward to. Like Chuck said though, I sometimes miss a couple of the games.

#7 7 months ago

I ended up with so many games because I suffer from sellers (and buyers) remorse.

Rarely do I sell a game and not wish I hadn't.

If space or cost is your issue and the game means that much to you, consider trading it for 6 months to another collector.

#8 7 months ago

I don't play my mario pins but i have a hard time letting them go. I would for the right I dont want to sell it price. Id like for a company to make a new updated version and I know it wont be easy to get them back to complete the trifecta if its done. They stay for nostalgia purposes.

#9 7 months ago

Sell or trade it. If you miss it, buy it again down the road.

#10 7 months ago
Quoted from M3RI0:

I really don't think you'll regret losing Halloween. Machines are very expensive; you gotta sell some to buy some. HWN being at an all time low for value doesn't help but that's life.
Having a machine you only want for the theme is something you do down the road when your collection is bigger...or the game is cheaper.

#11 7 months ago

I’d give it some time, especially if it’s because you find it too hard, but otherwise would trade. Unless it’s a special machine that would be hard to replace you can alway’s get another one down the road.

#12 7 months ago

I consider my collection like an orphanage. These "unwanted" pins come to my home for awhile, I enjoy my time with them, but eventually they have to go on to find their Forever Homes because I'm not a "keep it forever" kinda guy. Having said that, I LOVE the theme and colors of my RCT and find myself holding onto it because of that.

If you're on the fence for selling, just remember: There's likely a lot more of them out there. I sold my Metallica last year and loved that pin but was ready to move on. Thankfully it wasn't the only one out there in case I decide to buy another!

#13 7 months ago

I keep lots of machines because of theme-I am a theme whore
Connection to a game is huge-otherwise it does not have much staying power. I suggest keeping it if possible until another theme that attracts you more comes along. Out of curiosity-what game are you thinking of getting besides Halloween?
Forgot to mention that Halloween kicks ass and is a great theme!

Sometimes I feel like Gollum

gollum-my-precious.gifgollum-my-precious.gif
#14 7 months ago

Sell the pin and make a shrine to the theme or something to get your fix. Pins are to play, not showcase a theme.

(That’s my philosophy to my collection and yea it is only an opinion)

#15 7 months ago
Quoted from jackd104:

Pins are to play, not showcase a theme

Yes pins are to play and have fun

-Do you not enjoy a game with a good theme that you can relate to? Might as well go out and buy yourself a Hardbody if theme does not matter. Most games without a good theme tend to go through my home quickly. There are also games out there that play good but theme kills it for me. Having something to relate to is huge and cant be dismissed.

#16 7 months ago

If it were me, I would wait until the code has completely finished. Then if you are still not happy, unload it. There's been too many games that like BM66 and MET that became great after code was completely finished. Also, if you are having to ask this question, I can already tell you are going to regret/miss the machine if you do decide to sell. Best of luck on whatever you decide to do.

#17 7 months ago
Quoted from Nightmare:

....There's been too many games that like BM66 and MET that became great after code was completely finished.

Lyman doesn't work for Spooky.

Quoted from pinmister:

...Might as well go out and buy yourself a Hardbody if theme does not matter.

Have you ever played a Hardbody/BMX? Layout Is awesome.

#18 7 months ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Yes pins are to play and have fun
-Do you not enjoy a game with a good theme that you can relate to? Might as well go out and buy yourself a Hardbody if theme does not matter. Most games without a good theme tend to go through my home quickly. There are also games out there that play good but theme kills it for me. Having something to relate to is huge and cant be dismissed.

I didn’t say theme doesn’t matter. The question was “should I keep a game simply because of theme” and my opinion was “no”

#19 7 months ago

I know I could get a lot for my PinBot, but it’s the machine I fell in love with when I was 12, at the VA Beach arcade when I was on summer vacation. I’ve had it for 11 years and it doesn’t get the play it used to, but no way I can give it up.

#20 7 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Lyman doesn't work for Spooky.

I think Matt is doing a fine job.

#21 7 months ago

Stern Turtles, kept it way too long

#22 7 months ago
Quoted from Nightmare:

I think Matt is doing a fine job.

Yikes. I guess "fine" is the same as "the greatest of all time" these days

#23 7 months ago

Tspp, owned new since 2003, first nib game. Dont play it much, but to me it’s a masterpiece and likely will never sell it.

#24 7 months ago

No, I haven’t kept a game simply because of theme.

I have kept games that I don’t play much for a bunch of other stupid reasons (looks so good, everyone else really seems to like it, it’s ‘worth’ so much,…). Never just for theme. Love GOTG and IronMan themes…both of those left without much regret.

#25 7 months ago

When you are done you are done.
Life’s too short to not be playing something you’ll enjoy. Theme or not.

#26 7 months ago

I've held onto a couple games based on theme or unique art packages (bad cats for example). But once the novelty wore off the weak gameplay made it an easy choice to sell off.

I tend to float around 8 games so there's room for a novelty pin without dragging down the overall fun. Anything less I'd focus on gameplay over theme.

#27 7 months ago

They all get old and I don't Regret selling any of them. I enjoy getting new titles in the house. I do have some favorites for sure.

#28 7 months ago

No keepers. I do really regret selling my Williams Indy. I grew up with those movies

#29 7 months ago

Have to admit, even games I really thought had great art and gameplay, like Fathom, I've let go. Too many good pins to try, everything gets shinier when they are not in your pinball stable....yet. I've only rebought one game I sold off, that was Black Hole. Too memorizing a quiet dark game room.

#30 7 months ago

If you've only got one game, I think it needs to have great gameplay as well as a theme you like. I mean it is there to play, not just to look at.

#31 7 months ago

The primary reason I keep my pins is because I love the themes. Granted I only own 3, but the 1 I did sell was a DE Jurassic Park that got replaced with a Stern Jurassic Park.

#32 7 months ago

The reason I don’t own newer games is because of the cost. To keep it from getting boring, I figure I’d need about 6. Get my fix playing EM’s.

#33 7 months ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Every time I’ve sold a game when I have space to add, I’ve regretted it.

My fear.

#34 7 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I really don't think you'll regret losing Halloween. Machines are very expensive; you gotta sell some to buy some. HWN being at an all time low for value doesn't help but that's life.
Having a machine you only want for the theme is something you do down the road when your collection is bigger...or the game is cheaper.

This may be the answer. As I get out and play more and more machines Im finding that Im having lots of fun with themes that I normally would not look twice at.

#35 7 months ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I keep lots of machines because of theme-I am a theme whore
Connection to a game is huge-otherwise it does not have much staying power. I suggest keeping it if possible until another theme that attracts you more comes along. Out of curiosity-what game are you thinking of getting besides Halloween?
Forgot to mention that Halloween kicks ass and is a great theme!
Sometimes I feel like Gollum[quoted image]

Halloween was my fist pinball purchase. After watching so many gameplay/reviews on it it looked really fun. Plus I figured if all else fails at least it would be a theme that im absolutely close to. Boy was I wrong. I love the game but Im just finding that I do have more fun playing other machines. Im thinking of getting a Godzilla although we have one local that I can just play but Foo Fighters has my eye also. Even though I have not played it.

#36 7 months ago
Quoted from M3RI0:

Halloween was my fist pinball purchase. After watching so many gameplay/reviews on it it looked really fun. Plus I figured if all else fails at least it would be a theme that im absolutely close to. Boy was I wrong. I love the game but Im just finding that I do have more fun playing other machines. Im thinking of getting a Godzilla although we have one local that I can just play but Foo Fighters has my eye also. Even though I have not played it.

Ah yes, welcome to the rabbit hole.

#37 7 months ago

people say the top 100 doesn't mean much, but truth is the top 20 games are universally loved for playability more than theme. I don't think Godzilla is anyone's dream theme, but it's just one of the funnest and most original playfield designs. If I had to choose between godzilla and halloween it would be a no brainer. same with halloween and foo, even though I can't stand the foo fighters as a band. Playfield design is number one for me, but people are different.

#38 7 months ago
Quoted from M3RI0:

Im thinking of getting a Godzilla

Godzilla is really a great game and I HIGHLY recommend one. I do think Premium is the way to go

Also may consider Iron Maiden Pro. The flow and layout are really fun to shoot. Foo Fighters music turns me off and the layout feels clunky and sporadic to me-have not clicked with FF.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinned Out Mods

$ 63.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 16.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Machine - For Sale
Daytona Beach, FL
$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
Wilkes-barre, PA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Hastings, MN
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Cento Creations

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Gilbert, AZ
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 49.99
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/have-you-kept-a-pin-simply-because-you-love-the-theme and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.