Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 100 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by spblat
  • Topic is favorited by 37 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1EC6AAB9-CCAF-468F-9B49-791FD3E846C3 (resized).jpeg
    crane.jpg
    bin rack.jpg
    HF 11 Drawer Cart.png
    IMAG0878.jpg
    hfcoupon.jpg
    Workbench.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    IMG_6745-920.jpg
    IMG_6728-650.jpg
    IMG_6726.jpg
    wrenches.jpg
    image_20471.jpg
    dolly.jpg
    image-420.jpg
    There are 100 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 10 years ago

Heading to my local Harbor Freight store tonight and I'm looking to build a list of must-have tools that are good buys there. Here's first on my list. Please post yours.

12" Deep Throat C-Clamp (for holding down inserts while they set):

image-84.jpgimage-84.jpg

#3 10 years ago

I have my other HF cart modded but I do like that lift table.

#4 10 years ago

Does the lift table go high enough? Seems like it does.

#5 10 years ago
    Quoted from Slate:

Does the lift table go high enough? Seems like it does.

Yes it does, I have pin skate, a harbor freight lift table and an actual pin cart. I use the harbor freight table the most by far

#6 10 years ago

The harbor freight table has a fixed straight handle. You will need to modify the handle. I just bought on and is different than what is pictured. I love it though.

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinster68:

I have my other HF cart modded but I do like that lift table.

Isn't that the same thing?

Here's my contribution - do NOT rely on these unless you have a perfectly level surface. I busted mine in 2 min moving pin on legs from garage to driveway.

image_20478.jpgimage_20478.jpg

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from nitrojcrawf:

The harbor freight table has a fixed straight handle. You will need to modify the handle. I just bought on and is different than what is pictured. I love it though.

Did you modify your lift table from HF? I noticed someone on here put a joint in the straight handle and was wondering what they used. I have the yellow cart from HF and love it except the handle. I tried cutting down the handle and though that helped it now presents the problem of allowing the pin to come down on your hand. ouch. That only happens once.

liftcart3.jpgliftcart3.jpg
    #9 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinster68:

12" Deep Throat C-Clamp (for holding down inserts while they set)

Don't forget the epoxy for the inserts.

image_13875.jpgimage_13875.jpg

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from Double_D:

Did you modify your lift table from HF? I noticed someone on here put a joint in the straight handle and was wondering what they used. I have the yellow cart from HF and love it except the handle. I tried cutting down the handle and though that helped it now presents the problem of allowing the pin to come down on your hand. ouch. That only happens once.

Check out this thread full of ideas on how to modify the handle on this cart:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/modified-harbor-freight-lift-table

I just got one of these carts and using Kungfucop's idea of adjustable flag holders on page 3 of this thread above, I did a modified version of that and it has worked out well. Hope this helps.

#11 10 years ago

Actually, you can modify this cart with 2 door hinges, you screw them down on one side of the cart where the handle goes and the other to the bottom of the handle, and it will allow the handle to be dropped and raised, did it years ago, and the cart has been perfect for years.

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from PC-Pin-NC:

Check out this thread full of ideas on how to modify the handle on this cart:
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/modified-harbor-freight-lift-table
    I just got one of these carts and using Kungfucop's idea of adjustable flag holders on page 3 of this thread above, I did a modified version of that and it has worked out well. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the link. Lots of great ideas. Think I'll go with Kungfucop's idea.

#13 10 years ago

I recently picked up one of their shop carts and I am amazed by how much it's come in handy. Now instead of making a mess on the game next to the one I'm working on, the mess stays on the cart which just gets wheeled back to my workbench in the opposite corner of the basement when I'm done.

http://www.harborfreight.com/16-inch-x-30-inch-steel-service-cart-5107.html

It's currently on sale and you can combined it with the 20% coupon in their weekly circular. $30.94!

#14 10 years ago

Moving blankets

Dental pick set (good for removing tumbler media from parts)

Magnetic parts dish

Visor with magnifier lenses

4 piece foam floor mat set

Bench buffer

8" Bench grinder - remove one grinding wheel and replace with brass wire wheel

Bring a van and a wad of cash with you. That place is like candyland!

#15 10 years ago

Their $2.99 box of heat shrink.

image-58.jpgimage-58.jpg

#16 10 years ago

Laser. Good for modders.... e.g. good for STTNG. Creates a laser line, not just a pinprick point of light.

http://www.harborfreight.com/laser-marker-93242.html

#17 10 years ago

I love this thread so much! It can easily be a Xmas list for me from my wife (who loves to shop there).

Don't forget STRAPS!

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-1-inch-x-15-ft-ratcheting-tie-down-set-90984.html

Never can have enough of their free flashlights and tape measures (look for coupons in your Sunday newspaper or get on their mailing list). The free multimeter is OK, but I prefer to have an audible continuity multimeter for testing fuses and wiring.

#18 10 years ago

image_16539.jpgimage_16539.jpg These guys are super convenient, especially for tightening down flipper pawls when there's like a million other parts in the way. Color coded so you know exactly which one you need. Haven't had them for very long, so I can' t speak to their durability.

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-piece-metric-color-combo-wrench-set-66054-1746.html

#19 10 years ago

Don't forget the super-long screwdrivers. Perfect for adjusting switches and a 4-pack is like $4 or something ridiculous compared to what Marco charges for the same thing.

#20 10 years ago

Ultrasonic cleaner : http://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-95563.html
    A code can be found on the forum to get 15 or 20% extra discount.

Helping hand (second hand) for soldering jobs : http://www.harborfreight.com/helping-hands-319.html

Drawer tool cart : http://www.harborfreight.com/580-lb-capacity-four-drawer-tool-cart-95659.html

Flexible shaft hex bit driver attachment : http://www.harborfreight.com/7-piece-flexible-shaft-hex-bit-driver-attachment-68514.html

#22 10 years ago

Good stuff guys. Keep it comin'

#23 10 years ago

Evaporust

#24 10 years ago

3 Piece Hex Drill Socket Drivers. Best $2 you can spend! These are great for removing leg bolts with a cordless drill. If you need a drill, HF one is fine too.

image_20482.jpgimage_20482.jpg
    #25 10 years ago
    Quoted from Spybryon:

3 Piece Hex Drill Socket Drivers. Best $2 you can spend! These are great for removing leg bolts with a cordless drill. If you need a drill, HF one is fine too.

image_20482.jpg 113 KB

these are a must have.

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from Spybryon:

image_20482.jpg 113 KB

Got 'em ... but for $2 I'll grab spares.

#27 10 years ago

I use these all the time (EDIT: PRMailers already got this one!). Great for playfield swaps and I use a few when doing them. Their also great working on your car for lug nuts, etc. I use one on each lift arm.

image_15275.jpgimage_15275.jpg

#28 10 years ago

I'm here!

image-420.jpgimage-420.jpg
    #29 10 years ago

They will occasionally mark the moving dollies down to $10, I've had good luck storing games on end... easy to move them around and it gets them off the floor if you get water in the basement.

image_20471.jpgimage_20471.jpg

dolly.jpgdolly.jpg

#30 10 years ago

Vibrating tumbler and crushed walnut shells. If you have EMs, pick up a small file set.

#31 10 years ago

This is one of the most useful, best-quality things I've ever gotten... I use these almost every day:

Great for handling legs and getting inside tight EM heads to loosen bolts.

wrenches.jpgwrenches.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece-sae-flex-head-combo-wrench-set-60591.html

#32 10 years ago

I nominate this thread for Best of the Xmas season. I'll be getting a few items from this thread for sure myself.

#33 10 years ago
    Quoted from JoeJet:

Isn't that the same thing?
    Here's my contribution - do NOT rely on these unless you have a perfectly level surface. I busted mine in 2 min moving pin on legs from garage to driveway.

image_20478.jpg 75 KB

Absolute junk! Caved in two of them. Threw them in the trash. Don't buy them.

#34 10 years ago

I have a few of their bar clamps. Free with a coupon when you spend over a certain amount. Also have one of their HVLP guns, I think it was $13 with a coupon. Got a magnifying work light. Comes in handy when working on boards. Also bought a big box of their walnut shells for the tumbler. $20 with a coupon. I always pick up something when I'm there, flashlights, razor blades, super glue.

#35 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinster68:

12" Deep Throat C-Clamp

That is the single dirtiest sounding tool ever.

#36 10 years ago

i agree on the small file set. also the pads (furniture movers) that fit under legs. i scan slide pins all over gameroom with these.

#37 10 years ago

Pack Of 10 Medium Grade Aluminum Oxide Sanding Sponges
    (Or the fine ones)

Great for regraining metal by hand. Put your bolts in your cordless drill (thread side in the chuck), and while spinning place the bolt head against the sponge to clean them up. (Leg bolts, head bolts, etc)

#38 10 years ago
    Quoted from Double_D:

liftcart3.jpg 232 KB

What I did is cut the mounting tubes off the frame and welded back on at an angle a d I am going to bend longer handle when I get time. I thought about making a handle like a pallet jack. In my spare time.

#39 10 years ago
    Quoted from yfz450:

Absolute junk! Caved in two of them. Threw them in the trash. Don't buy them.

I got a set of wheels like those from Lowe's and they've worked well. Moved a pin across a driveway/walkway and inside on uneven tile a few times. Useful inside moving in tight spots since the HF lift doesn't go sideways.

#40 10 years ago
    Quoted from tbanthony:

Laser. Good for modders.... e.g. good for STTNG. Creates a laser line, not just a pinprick point of light.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/laser-marker-93242.html

Troy, have you actually seen anyone use these in STTNG? If so, how did they mount them and tie them in for power?

#41 10 years ago
    Quoted from JONESDS:

They will occasionally mark the moving dollies down to $10, I've had good luck storing games on end... easy to move them around and it gets them off the floor if you get water in the basement.

dolly.jpg 802 KB

image_20471.jpg 76 KB

Sell me the CV I'll get it off the floor

#42 10 years ago
    Quoted from gtown:

I got a set of wheels like those from Lowe's and they've worked well. Moved a pin across a driveway/walkway and inside on uneven tile a few times. Useful inside moving in tight spots since the HF lift doesn't go sideways.

The lowes wheels are a lot stronger.

#43 10 years ago

Here's what you can do with the stock HF cart:

First, the stock cart:
    IMG_6726.jpgIMG_6726.jpg

The parts (two nipples on the left, two elbows on the right)
    IMG_6728-650.jpgIMG_6728-650.jpg

(~20 minutes of assembly, a bit of grinding and drilling)

And the finished product ... put to immediate use...
    IMG_6745-920.jpgIMG_6745-920.jpg

#44 10 years ago

You guys with the carts, you don't put some cross members between the cart and the game? I will sometimes use 2x4s or 1x4s so the weight of the game is balanced on the side panels and not the panel underneath.. that kinda scares me, especially on older games.

#45 10 years ago

I actually use 2 2x6 pieces of wood, laid on the cart surface to go from front to back of the pin (so weight lifted on the front and back) not cross wise.

Great use of the pipe insulation in the picture above, never thought of that but I'm gonna throw some on the handles of my cart!

I'll also mention that the interior construction of the wheels that came with my harbor freight cart were not the best quality and two of them blew out after some years of use. I found some great replacements - if anybody wants the info post to this thread and I'll dig it up from my archives.

#46 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinballHelp:

You guys with the carts, you don't put some cross members between the cart and the game? I will sometimes use 2x4s or 1x4s so the weight of the game is balanced on the side panels and not the panel underneath.. that kinda scares me, especially on older games.

I'd prefer a larger platform, but haven't had any issues as is.

#47 10 years ago

Just bought this guy the other day and love it. Perfect moveable work space, and perfect for holding all your tools. Just saw they are only $109 this Black Friday. I paid $159 on Sunday. UGH.image.jpgimage.jpg

#48 10 years ago
    Quoted from Spraynard:

Just bought this guy the other day and love it. Perfect moveable work space, and perfect for holding all your tools. Just saw they are only $109 this Black Friday. I paid $159 on Sunday. UGH.

image.jpg 2 MB

Nice! I saw these at the HF store and really wanted one, but space in my shop is at a premium. Seeing it all decked out with tools has me thinking again.

#49 10 years ago
    Quoted from RoyF:

Troy, have you actually seen anyone use these in STTNG? If so, how did they mount them and tie them in for power?

I have not seen them used, but it should be do-able for the more adventurous. Plan to use one on my ST Pro as a mod. I sold my STTNG and hadn't gotten around to it as it needed a lot of other work.

#50 10 years ago

I had stuff all over the place for my mod business, my wife took me to harbor freight and got this last night. It is fantastic.

image.jpgimage.jpg

There are 100 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/harbor-freight-pinball-shopping-list and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.