20170325_135542 (resized).jpg
20170320_210158 (resized).jpg
20170320_210152 (resized).jpg
20170320_210144 (resized).jpg
20170107_144822 (resized).jpg
20170107_144649 (resized).jpg
20170107_144551 (resized).jpg
20170107_144523 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jrpinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 7 years ago

Clean and adjust the switches on the ball release gate. There are three switches. Manually open and close the gate, observing the correct make/break of each switch in each position. Does the 110V coil for the trip bank reset energize? It is fused, so check that fuse if it isn't firing. If the fuse is good, check the "armature" switch. This switch is opened and closed by the action of the start relay's armature plate.
You can access it easiest by loosening the wing nuts on the reset bank, and flipping the bank assembly over.
It's carrying line voltage, so check it's continuity with the game unplugged from the wall outlet. These often become misadjusted or need cleaning, and the trip bank won't reset unless this switch is making.

#10 7 years ago

Here are some photos of the ball gate switches and the armature switch.
Sorry about the blurriness of the first photo. Please note, these photos are not from a "Sky Line", but from a "Bowling Queen". Should be exactly the same switches in both games.

20170107_144523 (resized).jpg20170107_144523 (resized).jpg
20170107_144551 (resized).jpg20170107_144551 (resized).jpg
20170107_144649 (resized).jpg20170107_144649 (resized).jpg
20170107_144822 (resized).jpg20170107_144822 (resized).jpg

#22 7 years ago

Nope. Five balls and five balls only. There may be an adjustment for three ball play, but I've never used it on this era machine.

#23 7 years ago

Replays, which are won by hitting "special", reaching a score threshhold, attaining a certain number of "advances", or by getting a "match" at the end of the game, are simply free games. Any time the credit wheel is anywhere but zero, the game can be started by pressing the button on the cashbox door. At "zero", a coin is needed to either start the game or add credits. Many of us modify the switch on the replay unit which opens at the zero position, so that it is closed at zero. This way, the game is always on "free play", and a coin is never needed to start the game. Each and every game though is five balls, because this is a replay machine. There is no add-a-ball counterpart to "Sky Line", although I wish there were. I've often thought about what it might have been called. Maybe "Sky High", "City Lights", or "High Society".

2 months later
#31 7 years ago
Quoted from Briehl:

Hey everyone.
It's been awhile since I posted in this thread about my Sky line, but I figured I would give an update. I have clearcoated the playfield and spent some serious time cleaning every single playfield piece before I reinstalled it. I got my schematic and was able to get basically everything figured out.
I only have a couple issues which I can't seem to figure out.
When I press the replay button on the front of the coin door, it does not remove credits from the score reel. I can add them with another button, but the never seem to decrease. The coil works, as I am able to jumper power to it and they go down.
The game does not always reset the elevator floor. This used to work but does not anymore.
The replay unit does not stop when it reaches max credits. The contacts are all adjusted perfectly in this unit and it moves freely, but for some reason it's not working properly.
The light in the purple pop bumper keeps getting too bright, then it burns out. I have replaced this bulb 4 times now and it keeps happening...
I have checked and cleaned all the relays and jones plugs and switch contacts but I'm not having luck. The rest of the game is working perfect, but this is stumping me. Any ideas anyone!?!

Man, this brings back memories. Between my brother and myself, this was like our fourth or fifth game ever. He bought a pretty wrecked one, and brought it back to life. The front of the head was torn up a lot worse than yours, and he made a whole new front panel for it out of 1/4" plywood. He has the game to this day.
There may be a common cause for the three issues in the head. You said you cleaned all the jones plug connectors, but I'm thinking there's one pin and socket that isn't making. I don't have a schematic in front of me, but look for something that is common to the subtract credit, reset animation unit, and the add credits circuits. I know I had the same problem of not subtracting credits on my "Bowling Queen" a while ago, but I can't remember what fixed it. It was just one switch that needed adjusting, but I don't remember which one it was.

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from Briehl:

We have put some serious time into playing this game over the past week or so and it is really quite fun and challenging! I have the scoring adjustment pin set to conservative so it makes the game quite difficult to get a high score. From what I can tell, in this setting the 10 points when lit only comes on every 3 floors. It also seems like the floors are random. It takes skill to stay on the current floor and not advance, so you are able to continue collecting the 10 points per hit. It makes it quite challenging which I enjoy!
The automotive clearcoat on the playfield makes it play amazingly as well. The ball is super quick on everything and the playfield is so smooth that it feels like there is no friction. When the ball gets going fast from the slingshots or pop bumpers it gets pretty intense!
As for my problems, I will check out the Jones plugs again. They are such a pain to clean, and I felt like I did a great job last time I re cleaned them, maybe I partially missed one. Hopefully that fixes it!
One thing I figured out, the game will reset the elevator doors every time if I knock the bottom of the game to turn it off, then hit the reset on the coin door. It still doesn't decrease credits though, and I am still able to add credits past the max switch opening on the replay unit.
My lights are beginning to become quite annoying as well! For whatever reason, the pop bumper bulbs in the purple and green pop bumpers are getting quite bright and eventually burning out. I've replaced the purple one about 3 or 4 times, green twice, and just last night the blue burnt out but didn't get bright first. I've also had a few bulbs burn out in the numbered lanes at the top, and around the center top hat dead bumper. I don't get it! The fuse has never popped either. The lights in the pop bumpers may be because of the constant slamming of the unit itself, but even that doesn't seem right. I feel like I shouldn't have to take the glass off even once a week to replace a burnt out bulb...
The bulbs are from pinball resource as well. I don't know if it's happened with anyone else, but I had probably 10 bulbs which were burnt out straight from the package as well. At least their cheap I guess!
I can post a few parts of the wiring schematic as well if it helps make anything clearer!
Thanks for reading!
-Brett

It sounds like you may have gotten a bad batch or two of lamps. Try a different brand if you can find them. If it still continues to blow out bulbs after using a different brand, you might have some kind of intermittent leak from the solenoid voltage into the lamp circuit. Not that it would affect the lamps, but just wondering; is the game high tapped?

#35 7 years ago

Have you checked the voltage of the lighting circuit with a DVOM?
You say the lights get bright. Is that a momentary thing or do they stay bright for a while before burning out?
If it's something that you can measure, you can determine if it's a current leak, or a bad batch of lamps.
Gottlieb used what are called "sand resistors" for some lighting applications. These allowed them to use a 6 volt lamp in a 24 volt circuit. I'm not sure if "Sky Line" uses any of these anywhere, but if so, it's possible that one may be breaking down and allowing 24 volts to leak into the lighting circuit.

#39 7 years ago

That isn't the typical sand resistor that is normally used. You won't get a true resistance reading unless you unsolder one leg of the resistor. Looking at your schematic, it doesn't look like this resistor has anything to do with lighting anyway. It's probably there to prevent overcurrent from pitting and burning the rivets on the wiper disc of the 0-9 unit.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jrpinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-sky-line-help-my-first-machine?tu=jrpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.