20160512_185453.jpg
20160506_232626.jpg
20160506_232626.jpg
20160506_184554-1.jpg
20160506_184538.jpg
20160504_224918.jpg
20160503_205035.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Hi i have a Gottlieb golden arrow which i have start up problems, when i press the start switch the game counter rolls over and the score motor spins, the AX relay does not switch of the score motor, and thats as far as i get any help would be appreciated.thanks Steve

#2 8 years ago
#3 8 years ago

So, when you press the start button, the score reels reset to zero, but the score motor keeps running? Does the ball kick to the shooter lane? Did you check the coin switches - are they open?...

#4 8 years ago

The ball does not kick to the shooter lane, the score reels are at zero,i will check the coin switches, thanks

#5 8 years ago

Have just checked the coin mech all appears to be working ok just adds credit then i press the reset and the score motor spins.

#6 8 years ago

Do you have the schematic for the machine? One of the switches that sends power to the score motor is closed and that's why the score motor keeps running. Just find the score motor icon on the schematic and work back on the circuit to see what switches control power to the score motor... Some simple things to check: Make sure all the score reel switches are adjusted properly and make sure the ball count stepper has reset to the zero position...

#7 8 years ago

Yes i have the schematics, will have a look tomorrow and check out.
Thanks

#8 8 years ago

Have checked all the latches they all energise and turn the score motor untill you press the start relay then the score motor just turns you have to manually turn the latch off on the ax relay to get it to stop, the only other relays to do nothing were the score control relay and the series relay they both did nothing. Have tried the tilt relay while the motors spinning that just turns the lights off.

#9 8 years ago

20160503_205035.jpg20160503_205035.jpg

#10 8 years ago

LOL

Everything looks good to me!

har har

Issue could be any number of things. Sounds like your game isn't completing it's reset, and if it is, it isn't kicking the ball out. You have to start narrowing it down a bit. Are all game features resetting to how they should be when game starts?

#11 8 years ago

Have checked startup tonight credis are added when coins are inserted, reset and the total play meter adds game start motor energises and hold relay and score motor starts running have switched on the 100s light which also switches of when reset and the stepper resets also.

#12 8 years ago

You'll need to look at the schematic and find the score motor icon... Look to the right of the score motor icon to see what switches in the score motor circuit send power to the score motor. Or just post a section of the schematic here with the score motor circuit and we can tell you what switches and relays to look at...

#13 8 years ago

I rather like Dirtflippers start routine as a basis of diagnosing start issues:

"Maybe the thing to do is to begin at the beginning:
- manually reset all score reels to zero
- manually reset all relay banks
- unlatch any interlock relays
- have a credit on the credit unit
- place the ball in the outhole
- press the start button
What happens?"

#14 8 years ago

Thanks for the replys i will post the schematic, i have all score reels set to zero and credis on the credit unit but nothing happens with the ball.

20160504_224918.jpg20160504_224918.jpg

#15 8 years ago

Check the switch stacks on each of the score units (score reels). There is a runout switch that must close on each score unit - that is what signals that the score is reset, and the game can start. Clean and gap the runout switch on each score unit to see if that clears up the problem.

If that doesn't fix it, look to see if any of the solder joints have failed where the wiring is soldered to each of the runout switch blades on the score units.

If that doesn't fix it, run a jumper wire from the 25 volt fuse to the non-black-wire solder lug of the AX relay coil that is not firing to confirm that the relay coil itself is good. If the coil doesn't fire, replace it.

If the coil is good and it's still not working, check the score motor switch stack at 1C to confirm all the switches on that stack are clean and gapped correctly, and that all the solder joints for those switch blades are still intact.

Good luck! - TimMe

#16 8 years ago

Have checked the score reels they all apear to reset all the solder joints look ok,will test the AX relay as you sugest i will post back once i have tried and let you know.
Thanks
Steve

#17 8 years ago

Hi have tried the lead across from the main fuse but get nothing, have tested both coils and there is power present to both have tested across the coil,what switches these on

20160506_184538.jpg20160506_184538.jpg

20160506_184554-1.jpg20160506_184554-1.jpg

#18 8 years ago

Hi sgc1
I do not have that pin - I do not have a schema - I do not have a manual. You do have a schema - do You have a manual ? Closest to Your pin I have found is "Big Hit, June-77": https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-golden-arrow -> AX-Reset pulls-in when all Score-Reels are resetted - through (turning) Score-Motor-Switch-2B. Want to show a snippet of schema showing the "actuating of AX-RESET-Coil" ? Greetings Rolf

#19 8 years ago

Here is schematic showing th AX relay.

20160506_232626.jpg20160506_232626.jpg

#20 8 years ago

When you use a jumper, it doesn't matter what switches control a coil. The reason you run a jumper wire directly from the 25 volt fuse to the coil lug is specifically to bypass ALL of the switches. When you jumper a coil this way, it will ALWAYS energize. If it doesn't energize, either:
- the power is off
- the coil is bad
- you didn't do the jumpering correctly
- the black coil return wire is disconnected somewhere (extremely rare)

Since neither AX coil fired when you jumpered it, it's possible you didn't do the jumpering correctly. Try this: jumper some another coil that you know is good (like a bumper that is working normally) to confirm that you are jumpering correctly. If you are, the known good coil will energize.

Once you are sure you are doing the jumpering correctly, try jumpering the AX coils again to see if they energize.

To answer your question about the switches: the 10, 100, 1,000, and 10,000 score unit runout switches as well as a switch at motor position 2B, all wired in series, are what trigger the AX coil to energize to take the game out of reset. On your schematic, this is the coil just below and slightly left of the motor symbol that is marked "AX" RESET. Follow the wire coming off this coil to the right and you will see each of these switches, one after another, on the wire.

- TimMe

#21 8 years ago

TimMe
Have tried again but still get nothing one coil is firing as when you reset/it operates the AX relay and starts the score motor i have to manually switch it off,i have put a new hold relay but that is firing.
Steve

20160506_232626.jpg20160506_232626.jpg

#22 8 years ago

Steve, sorry I'm not sure what you mean by hold relay.

Have you tried replacing the AX RESET coil? That coil should absolutely energize when you jumper it directly to the power supply. If the AX RESET coil isn't energizing when you jumper it directly, but the other coil (the trip coil) on the AX relay assembly IS working OK, then it really sounds to me like the AX RESET coil is bad.

Until you see for yourself that the AX RESET coil can actually energize when you hook it directly up to the power supply, I don't think you will have much luck trying to troubleshoot other parts of the circuit.

- TimMe

#23 8 years ago

Thanks i will get another relay and let you know when i have it fitted and how i get on thanks for all the advice much appreciated im learning as i go with this.
Steve

#24 8 years ago

Another, simpler, approach to testing a coil is to jumper a fresh 9 volt battery directly to both lugs of the coil. 9v isn't enough to run it normally but is adequate to provide proof of life.

#25 8 years ago

Thanks for the tip i will give it a try as i have had no luck direct from the fuse.

#26 8 years ago

Have tried the battery tonight and both coils function, the AX releases the other levers, tried switching on after and still the same score motor runs AX does not release.
Steve

#27 8 years ago

At least you have eliminated the coil as the issue. Now to find the offending switch(s).

#28 8 years ago

Whats the best way to go about it now to locate the switches. 1st pin so learning at the moment.
Steve

#29 8 years ago

Have tested all the coils from the AX to the stepper unit all appear to work, i will check out the start relay, have fitted a new coil on the hold relay could this cause any issues.

#30 8 years ago

Would the 2 nd chute relay cause this issue as it appears burnt out and the wire was disconected.

20160512_185453.jpg20160512_185453.jpg

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from wayner:

I rather like Dirtflippers start routine as a basis of diagnosing start issues:
"Maybe the thing to do is to begin at the beginning:
- manually reset all score reels to zero
- manually reset all relay banks
- unlatch any interlock relays
- have a credit on the credit unit
- place the ball in the outhole
- press the start button
What happens?"

Speaking of Dirt,

Where has he been?

His knowledge is incredible.

He's the "Pinball Whisperer"

#32 8 years ago

Have found number 15341 on the bottom would this be the coil number, what does this one actually do.

#33 8 years ago

That's the coin lockout coil.

When the game is powered up coins are passed into the coin box.

When the game is turned off the coins are diverted back to the coin return.

For home use (assuming you aren't going to use coins) you can disconnect the coil to prevent it buzzing buzz. Just make sure the spring fingers that are attached to the coin lockout bar are not touching the coin switches.

#34 8 years ago

So this wouldent stop it starting then.

#35 8 years ago

No it wouldn't.

#36 8 years ago

Hi again, have cleaned the credit unit today and success have got the score motor to stop Ax relay now energises and switches it off,but then nothing else happens, can anyone advise me further.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Parker, CO
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

$ 12.00
$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.