• Gigi Gottlieb, 1963

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180501_091315 (resized).jpg
20180501_091343_resized (resized).jpg
Pinball (resized).png
Pinball (resized).png
#1 5 years ago

As title. I've got a Gigi in for some minor work. Its working perfectly now, but, adds a replay or 5, at random intervals. Its happening at various scores, with or without the 'Speshul' being lit and irrespective of if all yellow or red bumpers are made.

My schematic shows an 'Add replay unit' but I cant identify the thing. I have tried removing the score set repay plugs, switched the match feature on and off and still get the same results. I might play 3 or 4 games pefectly, then this issue begins. Sometimes, again with no Special lit, if the ball hits the slings, they give a replay, or if the ball goes down the Special/50 point side chutes, it awards 5 replays!

I've looked it all over for solder splashes, and suchlike but its clean. Even wiggling loom cables [jones plugs are spotless] or tapping the head or playfield does not make it award a replay!

Any thoughts? I have a schematic and have taken pictures though they might not look as great as a scanned copy...

Thanks for any ideas/thoughts, etc

#2 5 years ago

Schematic would be good. Is there play in the score motor?

#3 5 years ago

Here's the Add Replay and Subtract Replay unit.

The good news: Persistence absolutely will pay off.
The bad news: Intermittent problems and things that activate when they shouldn't take more persistence than other kinds of problems.

With that said, put slips of paper in (or disconnect plugs from) these 7 switches. If the problem clears up, remove 1 slip of paper at a time to diagnose which circuit is at fault.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png

#4 5 years ago

Thanks, Howard.

I know that as the replay unit, so noted!

I'll go through those circuits today and see how I get on.

#5 5 years ago

Found it! Thank you, Howard for those pointers. I traced the track you illustrated for me and although none of the by-pass ideas worked, after a bit of head scratching, I looked at the - 0 to 9 unit. I had that out yesterday and discovered a burnt wire underneath the wire resistor and thought that was my problem but even after insulating it, made no difference.
Anyway, I discounted that as it had been gone through, so moved onto the Ones unit reel, as per schematic. As I took it out, I soon noticed the blue/white[looks more yellow?] wire was rubbing against the metal reel and was shorting. Moving it and insulating it appears to have fixed it! Well, Ive played 30 odd games without issue anyway! Fingers crossed that was the fault.

20180501_091343_resized (resized).jpg20180501_091343_resized (resized).jpg

20180501_091315 (resized).jpg20180501_091315 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-gigi-a-random-adding-replay-irritation and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.