You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
#1 6 months ago

Hiya folks. Having some bit of trouble here with my Gottlieb Big Indian..

Turns on fine, Replay/Start button doesn't work. neither do the coin chutes. but the relays for them do. If i hold in the Start relay for it to reset and start, the gameover relay will immediately activate. but the tilt doesn't.

I had this game working on thursday/friday but now it's just being a pain in the ass.

pasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpeg

#2 6 months ago

I would recommend you obtain the start-up sequence and follow it thru one step at a time, having schematic as well helps when working working thru the start up sequence, you will likely find where the sequence ceases and from there use jumper technique as often shown on Pinside to narrow down the why. Also, make sure you have credits or that free-play option is set-up correctly. Also, I would manually advance all score reels to zero as well as see if you have a different result when pushing start/credit button.

#3 6 months ago
Quoted from mdo1998:

I would recommend you obtain the start-up sequence and follow it thru one step at a time, having schematic as well helps when working working thru the start up sequence, you will likely find where the sequence ceases and from there use jumper technique as often shown on Pinside to narrow down the why. Also, make sure you have credits or that free-play option is set-up correctly. Also, I would manually advance all score reels to zero as well as see if you have a different result when pushing start/credit button.

So ended up being the hold relay. i ended up bridging the hold relay to the tilt hold relay so they both activate when the start relay is energized. not sure on peoples feelings about that but it's how i got it working so. Now i'm just trying to figure out why the start button doesn't work when the machine is first turned on. but works AFTER the start relay has finished energizing.

#4 6 months ago

I would start with moving all score reels to zero, as your issue may be sitting with dirty score reel mechs, as player four has a score showing but player 2 & 3 are sitting at zero that seems odd unless you have already manually adjusted some of the reels during your trouble shooting.

#5 6 months ago
Quoted from AviRoo:

So ended up being the hold relay. i ended up bridging the hold relay to the tilt hold relay so they both activate when the start relay is energized. not sure on peoples feelings about that but it's how i got it working so. Now i'm just trying to figure out why the start button doesn't work when the machine is first turned on. but works AFTER the start relay has finished energizing.

I’ve been tempted to do such “jumping” in the past, but I assume these machines are designed as they are for a reason and bypassing the design specs although useful to help identify the root cause of a failure is probably not a good idea for a permanent solution as likely the “jumping” will cause other features to fail that may not be immediately obvious.

#6 6 months ago
Quoted from mdo1998:

I would start with moving all score reels to zero, as your issue may be sitting with dirty score reel mechs, as player four has a score showing but player 2 & 3 are sitting at zero that seems odd unless you have already manually adjusted some of the reels during your trouble shooting.

So to tell you the truth when i took this picture earlier. only player 1 and player 4 was working. 2 and 3 did not work whatsoever. I ended up fixing it by cleaning and adjusting the hell out of the unit in the backbox. My apologies for the confusion.

I took a look at the Coin chute switches and they seem to be fine. all the tilts are disabled and it isn't a tilt issue. Gameover is working properly. Holds are working properly provided they're bridged. Still shooting blanks on why the start isn't working on startup but i'll searching around before i make a specific switch to fix it.

#7 6 months ago
Quoted from AviRoo:

why the start isn't working

How far is it getting through the startup sequence from the Big Indian manual?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#8 6 months ago
Quoted from HowardR:

How far is it getting through the startup sequence from the Big Indian manual?
[quoted image]

If i press the start switch? nothing. If i actuate/press the start relay? completely. I ran a line between the transformer's 25v lug to a switch. and from that switch to the start relay. and it works. now i'm sitting here contemplating if i want to leave it like it is because it works. or if i should hunt down the fault between the start relay and the original start switch.

#9 6 months ago

You may want to double check both the normally closed and normally open tilt switches, probably 3 of each.

#10 6 months ago
Quoted from AviRoo:

If i press the start switch? nothing

If the Replay button doesn't activate the Replay Button (V) relay,
Inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-big-shot-repair#post-6305153
http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features
Example of a pinsider actually doing this https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/red-baron-tech-question#post-5858156

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-big-indian-startup-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.