• Latest reply 10 years ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sys6ps.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Big thanks to barakandl for his work on the sound board. I picked up Gorgar from a friend earlier in the year and without any real pin knowledge, tried to get it from display lights only to a working machine. And for a while, it worked, but problem after problem showed up. I replaced the MPU and driver boards with a unit from Rottendog and barakandl restored/repaired the sound boards. It's been fun playing for the past month. BUT......now Gorgar quits when I double hit the flippers, left/right combo, the score goes to zero and every light flashes.

I noticed others have this problem and will now research and attempt a fix.

Happy New Year!!!

#2 10 years ago

Have you done any work to the power supply? Usually the 5V filter cap is 30+ years old and needs to be replaced. Personally I like replacing the header pins for the 5V/12V plug while I am at it. Either of these having issues can cause random resets.

#3 10 years ago

Thanks for the info. I hope to get to it tomorrow.

#4 10 years ago

Also check the slam tilt contacts under the playfield and behind the coin door to make sure the contacts are not too close together.

#5 10 years ago

maybe you have put to many light bulbs to decorate your house for Christmas and the VAC mains are low
check the mains 110 vac first to pinball outlet

#6 10 years ago

Check the diodes on the flipper coils too. If one falls off it will introduce a lot of noise and may crash the game. Otherwise i would suspect a power supply issue since you have a new mpu/driver.

#7 10 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions.

To Dr Pinball, I checked the voltage well in my VAC mains for stray amps from the Christmas lights and only found normal levels of electron fluid. So that rules that problem out, but I like your thinking. mulţumesc mult ! : )

I then took the path of easiest solutions and wiggled all the power connectors from beneath the playfield to the backbox. And believe it or not, I haven't had Gorgar shut down since.

If only all our problems were so easily solved!!!

1 week later
#8 10 years ago

Watervillain,

Can you help me out here? I am having the same problem with my Goragar that you were. I also have a combo board from Rottendog in my pin. It will just shut down when playing a game, I am confused as to what I need to do here. See below.

Thanks,

Jay

I then took the path of easiest solutions and wiggled all the power connectors from beneath the playfield to the backbox. And believe it or not, I haven't had Gorgar shut down since.

If only all our problems were so easily solved!!!

#9 10 years ago

If you wiggle power connectors and that "fixes" the problem - then you know that the connectors need to be repaired.

Just like if you push chips down into their sockets, and that "fixes" the game - you know the sockets need replacing.

#10 10 years ago

Vid 1900,

What do the power connectors look like under the Gorgar playfield, that Watervillian wiggled? What is the blackbox that he mentions, as well?

Thanks,

Jay

#11 10 years ago

the Backbox is the box on the back of the game where the score displays are located.

Open the backbox with the key and carefully lift up the Backglass and tilt it out (don't scratch the back of it, it's VERY fragile).

There is a metal lever on the right hand side that you lift, then the display/light board will swing out.

Behind the display board is the Power Supply with the connectors.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-bulletproofing-williams-system-6/page/2

#13 10 years ago

Thanks vid1099, I know what you are talking about. When I hit both flippers at the same time, my game will shut down. I have owned this pin for 25 years, and this is the first time I have experienced this. I have a Rottendog combo, MPU, driver board in my Gorgar.

Jay

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from GORGAR07:

When I hit both flippers at the same time, my game will shut down.

If you have not changed it in 25 years, it could well be the big capacitor on the power supply.

12,000uf 20v

There are a few other things to bulletproof on the power supply while you have it out of the game:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-bulletproofing-williams-system-6/page/2

sys6ps.jpgsys6ps.jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Franklin, VA
$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gorgar-speaks-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.