Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,523 posts
  • 283 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by NPO
  • Topic is favorited by 43 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tenor.gif
    adearbigexd81 (resized).jpg
    genX1.png
    7DB69391-D1F8-4499-8328-BDD19B11B710 (resized).jpeg
    66BCA796-6571-4821-8A38-1772F2610D37 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    Screenshot_20230914_110117_One UI Home (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2023-09-14 105911 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20230914-103506_Chrome (resized).jpg
    IMG_1416.jpeg
    IMG_4078 (resized).jpeg
    Pinside_forum_1041391_266329 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider luckymoey.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#380 8 months ago
    Quoted from Molon_Labe:

Have the SAM titles reached "collector" status now? They seem too new for that, but I admittedly don't know all the historical trends and the ins and outs of the hobby.
    Is a Met Prem or LOTR walking hand in hand alongside long-established B/W "classics". According to current pricing that answer is yes, but in my mind's eye it doesn't seem like it should be, but that may my personal bias based on the age and nostalgia of the older classics.

Yes, certain Whitestar and SAM games are absolutely as collectible as many classic B/W’s. Tron, LOTR, MET, ACDC, TWD… are some of the greatest pinballs ever made and demand will only continue to grow as new people enter the hobby. Particularly premium and LE versions that were produced in far fewer numbers than many top ranked B/W’s.

I think you’re putting far too much weight on the inflated rankings of new machines. Most will find their rightful place over time like previous generation games. A Foo Fighters LE will be no more, and likely far less, collectible than LOTR or MET LE.

#384 8 months ago
    Quoted from Thunderbird:

The big issue with Stern now is the value price ratio is not even close to being balanced. It’s way out of whack, because $$$tern has taken over Stern since Gary stepped down. Our only solution is pausing till Stern comes to their senses, otherwise we will continue to be fleeced by the “$$$tern Great Fleecing Debacle”.
    [quoted image]

Absolutely agree with you that pricing has gotten too far ahead of value due to Covid supply/demand, but don’t buy that Gary’s retirement has anything to do with it. He’s still Chairman. He and the similarly recently retired CFO/co-owner are the likely architects of their current business model. Good chance they are positioning the company to maximize generational wealth transfer through some type of ownership transfer.

#386 8 months ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Or trying to set the company up for a sale or public offering.

That’s what I meant by some type of ownership transfer. Don’t think they are big enough for a public offering, but may attract venture capital or be acquired by a larger gaming company. A closely held sale to management / employees would be best IMO since all bets are off if sold to a non-pinball related or investment company.

1 week later
    #762 8 months ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Thats why I still say Spooky gives the best value. Whats a Scooby CE cost? 10k without butter cabinet right? It costs 2k less than a JJP LE or a Stern LE, and I would argue gives you just as much stuff as far as the total package is concerned (even though I don't care for the gameplay). If one of the big manufacturers could offer games like that at 10k I think we'd all be a little less on edge about the prices. JJP LE at 10k was probably the sweet spot and they overshot it and then Stern did too.

Gameplay preference aside, I’d say American Pinball clearly offers the best value. Oktoberfest and LOV Deluxe editions are about $8.5k and come with basically everything on a Stern or JJP LE (powder coat, mirrored glass, shaker, art blades upgraded sound…). GTF is also sub $9k and gorgeous. Spooky and API playfields are both great and far better than Stern or JJP, but API’s overall machine design and quality are better than Spooky - but slipping somewhat. Just wish they could actually put all the pieces together on theme and game design to actually compete with Stern.

#912 8 months ago
    Quoted from Thunderbird:This is what this thread is all about, “VALUE” versus “$$$”.
    [quoted image]

Wish Stern was still putting the value into their LE's like X-Men. May have been the high point for $ BOM / $ Sales Price with (4) major toys, true mirrored glass... and unique, truly limited art packages. Seems like the LCD display / video assets have sucked too much attention and $'s from the playfield.

Pinside_forum_7714476_0 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_7714476_0 (resized).jpg
    #924 8 months ago

Contrary to the opinion of many on here I don’t know many “rich guys” that don’t care about perceived value or losing money. Higher-and-higher prices obviously push out more-and-more NIB buyers, but the bigger factor driving current softness (or return to normalcy) is likely the risk of losing a meaningful amount on resale. Personally, I don’t mind taking a 10-20% hit, maybe more given the huge enjoyment provided, but will certainly be more careful about what, and when, I buy.

#941 8 months ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Did direct labor and OHD have a higher percentage to total cost of Xmen, or Foo Fighters?

My guess would be X-Men. Stern has done a great job of investing in its A/V capabilities and Insider Connected, but overall they have gained major economies-of-scale to spread out professional salaries, equipment & facilities and other indirect expenses, and design efficiencies with Spike 2, etc. that reduce direct labor and material costs. I’d bet they’ve seen an enormous increase in their margins and profitability - good for them. I think the question is if they’ve been too short term focused in pricing out certain long term and new customers, including operators, important to thriving over time.

#960 8 months ago

I give the Op credit for his very entertaining crusade against the huge and rapid increase in prices, and since Stern is the 800 lb. gorilla in the market it seems OK to single them out. Don't recall anyone on Pinside who's invested more into a thread and taken on all comers without it turning personal. And I'll give him artistic license with terminology or this-or-that fact. Seems like his point isn't really about BOM or other costs but that Stern made a mistake by over reaching for short-term profits versus respecting its long time, loyal customers and pricing to strategically grow the market. Lots of businesses can milk their customers for short-term profits but choose instead to moderate increases with a focus on the longer term. I'd say $1-2K toppers and $13-20k LE's is milking hard.

#989 8 months ago
    Quoted from Meadows22:

Economics 101:
    Inflation from 2012-end of 2023 is going to finish at 33.14%
    2012 X-Men LE was 8k when it was released (550 total units)
    2023 FF & Venom LE is 13K (1k units)
    That is 38.5% increase in price from 2012. So stern has there adjusted LE prices around 5% above inflation. Would you stop bitching and complaining if instead LE were listed at 12,400?? If not than this is just a mute point hating on Stern. FYI I am not a stern army ect I don't even know what that is. If your argument is that 1k is way too many for an LE, I would agree. Stern would drop the LE production before they lower the price sadly, but in 2020 I believe tmnt and AIQ were both limited to 500 which is less than the X-men LE.
    Again, do I agree with the new stern pricing?? Hell no, but that whats great about living in a free market, I can choose not to buy.
    The way you're going about it is coming off as part religious cult leader mixed with some whinny Nancy.

Very few paid list price, or shipping, in 2012, and your math is wrong. At $7k it’s an 85% increase and even at $7.5k it’s 73%. So about double inflation despite major improvements in technology, e.g. Spike 2, that have offset inflation in many industries. Plus significant economies-of-scale since 2012. Certainly OK to disagree with Op on Stern’s market strategy but the idea that their margins haven’t ballooned is crazy IMO.

#998 8 months ago
    Quoted from Meadows22:

Not exactly sure what your argument is with improvements in technology your referring too.

Stern has done a great job of incorporating technology to simplify their designs which has obviously significantly reduced material, labor and other costs. In most industries there is no entitlement to fully pass on inflation. Customers expect you to continuously improve productivity, mainly through technology - that’s what drives the US and global economies. Covid distorted everything but things are returning to normal. It’s only because Stern still has no real competition that they’re able to pocket the savings versus passing on to us.

#1104 8 months ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

People should be buying LE's because they like them and it has the features they want to enjoy
    - any other reason such as scarcity, investment, flexing is laughable and Stern has 0 requirement to protect "your investment"

Maybe some LE buyers are happy to spend $3,300 more for $1,000 or less in actual extras but most are obviously paying a premium for the “best,” “limited” model. Gary and Stern have repeatedly hyped the LE for the “collector” market. It’s not about an investment for many but having something special, often around a theme they love. Certainly not unique to pinball. Personally I buy all 3 models depending on the game but think this a BS, shortsighted move by Stern. Arguing that it’s different or doesn’t go against their LE marketing /commitment is a real stretch IMO. But really not a surprise given some of their other, less blatant marketing moves.

#1107 8 months ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

I hate to break it to you but theres countless things in most hobbys that are hyped for the collector market that really aren't anything special and not really all that collectible.

You’re not breaking anything to me, but it’s obviously the hype and perception of special that causes otherwise rational people to fork over $13k for a friggin pinball machine

#1181 8 months ago

While the idea that Stern, let alone Disney, is at risk of folding is obviously hyperbole, I think it’s fair to compare similarities in their market strategies. Both seem to be over playing their hand by pricing out / alienating a sizable part of their previously loyal, passionate customer base - that may never come back. Milking the market may be lucrative short-term but are there really that many buyers (crazy people) of $7-13k toys to continue to prosper and grow the market. Especially now that the illusion of little to no risk of losing $’s is vanishing.

#1239 8 months ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

Between BOM and prive gouging, you have a lot to learn. Price gouging can only occur on items you need. Staples in life, thats why they have price gouging laws in the books. Now if you were to saying you are getting ripped off at these prices, you would have a better argument.
    [quoted image]

But it's a pinball forum not the Harvard Law Review.

IMG_3272 (resized).jpegIMG_3272 (resized).jpeg
    #1297 8 months ago
    Quoted from doublestack:

I think we can all agree on a few things in this thread, the first being that these memes are cringe AF.

So bad, they’re good. Like a B horror movie.

#1331 8 months ago
    Quoted from Mizzou0103:

There's a real market inefficiency going on right now. NIB pins in general have gone up more than the used market. There used to be less spread between a NIB Stern Premium and a 90s Bally Williams or even a used Stern Pro or Premium. Now it's way more cost effective to grab something on the used market. At some point, I think the used market will probably catch up and help the NIB machines return to their historic relative value. Until then, I'll be swapping games, but focus more on the used market.

Seems like the major influx of noobs relying on Pinside popularity has further expanded the historical deltas between A-B and C-D titles more than NIB vs. used. Popular older pins like TZ, TAF, TOTAN, TSPP and Tron have skyrocketed similar to NIB, and even secondary titles like BSD and Shadow are way up. Has created some relative bargains for both 90’s and modern used pins if you are willing to stray from the herd.

#1363 8 months ago
    Quoted from Reality_Studio:

Just to play devil's advocate here, if they don't sell out right away doesn't that mean they priced them correctly? It's like when you list something on eBay with a buy-it-now price and it sells the first day don't you think darn I priced it too low? Stern just needs the LE's to sell out before the next LE, if they sell them all in mere days then to me that says Stern priced them too low. I know the mere mention of "Stern" and "priced too low" in the same sentence will absolutely enrage people and generate a new meme but I'm trying to think of this purely from a business point of view.

I don't really follow other collector markets but isn't the strategy to create real or perceived scarcity to justify inflated prices? This is why I think Stern may be killing the golden goose with JP30 LE's and not allowing distributors more flexibly to discount LE's to market demand. High MSRP on LE's, quickly selling them out and creating a frothy secondary market pegs the pricing ladder. If LE's quickly sell out for inflated prices then buyers are OK spending more for pros and premiums - and vice versa.

#1416 8 months ago

How can you downvote SpongeBob and Patrick!?

#1437 8 months ago
    Quoted from galore2112:

Why? That’s not the point.
    The point is that he is complaining about Stern pricing their products at what Stern thinks the market for their titles is, going as far as accusing them of negatively impacting the hobby, but he himself doesn’t do charity either with his merchandise.
    If he is so concerned about other hobbyists being priced out by evil Stern, then maybe he should himself sell his stuff below market, no?
    Not sure why this isn’t obvious LOL!

The Op and 99% of the other “complainers” here have never said Stern is evil or don’t have the right to price their product however they want. We just think they’re making a mistake pricing out and alienating so many loyal customers important to the ongoing health of the industry and hobby. A hobbyist selling a single game isn’t analogous to the overwhelming market and price leader.

Pinball is still super niche and the big $ buyers here are a major part of Stern’s sales no matter what they or anyone else claims. Numerous, smart companies, especially high-end niche ones, don’t price to what the market-will-bear but what will build customer loyalty and grow the market across economic & business cycles.

Stern’s strategy may be spot-on, we’ll see, but $13k LE’s, $2k toppers, a new non-industry CEO, 20+ year high interest rates, re-issuing LE’s, etc. is not the normal course of business.

#1439 8 months ago

This recent statement from Stern’s co-owner about their factory expansion is very pertinent to the discussion here. Can they really continue to grow the market at 20-30% at current pricing levels?

“The business has been growing at 20% to 30% per year, and we expect that growth to continue for the foreseeable future,” said Peterson, declining to provide revenue figures. “Right now, our space is really, really tight.”

#1543 8 months ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:They're toys, not investments. If it's a risk for you to buy ANYTHING, you shouldn't be buying it.

Agree in principle but it’s not the market reality. Growth in pinball has been driven by the fact they’ve retained most of their value. Many could not financially handle, or stomach, regularly taking significant loses. And a healthy secondary market is absolutely key to continued growth of NIB. The fortunate “few” will still buy but the market will grow much slower or even shrink.

#1685 8 months ago
    Quoted from kool1:

No one can predict the success of the next Elwin but there isn't any reason to believe it won't sell just fine.

Understand your point, but most businesses hate, hate to go backwards on revenue - especially when there is a new CEO and they just doubled their factory size assuming continued 20-30% growth. I’m sure 2023 will be a good year with pulling down their backlog and JP30, but if Elwin’s new game isn’t more than “just fine” it won’t bode well for ‘24. Will probably see more vault/reissue cash grabs. Not a good ongoing business strategy.

#1696 8 months ago
    Quoted from kool1:

Every business is going backwards right now, it's just not a pinball specific story.

That’s actually not true. GDP has slowed but is still positive. Commodity and cyclical businesses ride the general economy but well managed growth companies find ways to continue to growth - especially niche ones like pinball that still have a huge untapped market. That’s why I think Stern may ultimately regret thwarting continued market expansion if they stick to artificial Covid pricing.

#1706 8 months ago
    Quoted from PanzerKraken:

GDP and such are overall economic outlook factors, but it's still not a good break down of individual industries. While some businesses of course are riding on record price gouged profits, others are drowning with general retail being flat and declining for many areas of the market. Lot of luxury goods (hey pinball would fall here) are not doing too hot, while many more affordable consumer friendly brands are seeing growth. Expenditures on stuff people need to live will always be there and the focus of money and overall prices are up higher on most required goods, which also pushes a false narrative of how good an economy is doing.

Wasn’t trying to suggest the economy is good - far from it. Only that “all businesses” are not going backwards, and that there are plenty of things Stern could do to continue to grow the hobby even in an down/uncertain economy. And I don’t buy that pinball is a luxury good. Seems like it’s largely a middle/upper middle class indulgence that’s grown based on more-and-more people joining the hobby and a healthy secondary market. Doubt many people would classify the crowds at pinball shows as a luxury demo.

#1710 8 months ago
    Quoted from PanzerKraken:

A pinball machine averaging 10k for a hobby game, is pretty much the definition of a luxury good. A $300 hand bag is considered a luxury good, I think 10k pinball is more than a qualifying of the tag
    Just because a person buys a product that is expensive, doesn't mean they are rich either. Plenty of folks who can't afford it buy luxury vehicles. And not everyone at pinball shows has pins, or has huge collections of them.

Agree, pinball certainly isn’t a necessity so technically a luxury. Just think that the current pinball softness has as much, or more, to do with the perception/reality of reduced value from rapid, double inflation level price increases than the pinball crowd cutting non-necessity spending. It may be a “luxury” but don’t believe it’s historically followed other “luxury good” markets, but may be wrong.

#1764 8 months ago
    Quoted from Gribbs:

Stern are you listening? He is repeating a bunch of anecdotal evidence that undoubtedly has your ‘market research’ beat to shit.

Stern deserves a lot of respect for how they’ve navigated the market and grown the business over the last decade plus. And you’d assume they understand the current market far better than anyone - but many otherwise successful businesses stumble or even fail when they are slow to correct or change course, especially during times of leadership transition.

#1796 8 months ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Possibly CGC's manufacturing/licensing costs are lower and/or they are working on a lower margins
    Goal of business is to maximize profits, the more profit you can squeeze out of a product the better -
    You call it greed, I call it good business - I mean, why would a company sell at a lower price and leave profit on the table if they don't have to.
    I laugh at the argument that a business that sells expensive products and makes good margin doesn't care about it's customers

I don’t think it’s a question of greed but trying to maximize short and longer term profits. Imagine Stern believes it can maximize current profits AND continue to grow sales double-digits. We’ll see. Businesses have lots of momentum and can be slow to react to changing realities.

The care thing to me isn’t about emotion but appreciating the importance of building long-term customer loyalty/relationships. Same as acknowledging quality issues and making warranty claims painless even if they eat into short term profits.

#1808 8 months ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Now it's MSRP, no tax, free shipping, and 0% financing.
    [quoted image]

Looks like flip n out and the pinball dudes are selling more lightly used games at good to excellent prices. Guessing they are offering good value on trades to help keep NIB inventory turning. Seems like a smart way to work within/around Stern’s minimum MSRP.

#1844 8 months ago

My guess is that there is only $500-1000 cost difference between models. Backglass, powder, glass, blades, shaker, different art, upgraded sound and side rails can’t add more than $50-100 each, especially at 1000 units. And hard to imagine a few extra mechs and molds add more than $1k. Even if it’s somewhat more, a meaningful drop in overall premium/LE sales will obviously be very painful to their sales and earnings projections. They will probably use more LE reissues and/or premium vaults to bolster volumes, and only lower minimum MSRP as a last resort.

#1878 7 months ago
    Quoted from greenhornet:

Sorry, but none of the pinball manufacturers appear to be interested in producing games in volume at lower margins. Their labor is too precious. Stern could sell half the number of games of a given title at current 7, 10, 13 pricing vs 6, 7.5, 10 and effectively net the same profit. By selling fewer games at higher prices, they utilize only half the labor. The other half can produce more 7, 10, 13 games on the following title, essentially doubling profits per production man-hour.
    Moving forward, I feel business models, especially for boutiques, will feature more frequent titles and fewer games per title, which will result in keeping prices high.
    Watch spooky, who said they will surprise everyone with the run size on their next game. I won't be surprised when they announce 1000, or even less.

Can’t imagine them making major price cuts, but incremental volume can be extremely attractive given high fixed factory and game development costs. Especially since Spike 2 simplification has significantly reduced direct labor costs. PLUS, every new buyer they attract to the hobby will likely end up buying a number of machines $$$$$. And vice-versa. They’ve worked very hard to successfully grow the market. Would be stupid to let it really slip back.

#2001 7 months ago
    Quoted from Nevus: 3. The market has slowed and used games are slowly returning to a more traditional price range.

My experience working through numerous business cycles is that markets usually don’t move slowly. “One unit” short of demand is a supply crisis and “one unit” of excess capacity is a glut. Prices shot through the roof during Covid but it seems like many think they will now slowly adjust back and only several hundred off new. Or if you believe some podcasters, the slowdown is already over and it’s back to “buy, buy, buy.” Prices are definitely stickier coming down but there are plenty of signs in the marketplace that the impact may be deeper and quicker. Used markets are more open so typically adjust first but new markets are definitely not immune to used. Will be interesting to see how things play out.

#2028 7 months ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

Please...for the love of Christ...it's been over a month...you've expressed your opinion...just let this thread die a peaceful death.....

Ignore and it will be dead to you.

#2040 7 months ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

One thing higher prices does is keeps prices on HUO and used games up. If Stern were to take a page out of the Tesla playbook and drop prices 30-40% basically overnight, it would send the pinball market into a tailspin, especially if they started running new versions of older LE's at much cheaper prices and flooding the market with lower priced Pros and Premiums. It would also knock out most of the competition who wouldn't be able to compete at a lower price point.
    I don't think this will happen, but I think it could tick people off even more than if Stern continued with their current path.
    [quoted image]

But they could easily lower minimum MSRP and allow dealers to adjust street pricing to title-to-title demand like “the good old days.” Would probably have little impact on used pricing of existing games since less popular titles are already selling at steep discounts.

#2060 7 months ago
    Quoted from Reality_Studio:

I don't think they'd ditch pinball but rather do both pins and casino games at some point. That would let them tell a potential licensee that they could display their ip not only in game rooms, restaurants and bars but also at major casinos worldwide. I figure that would give them nice negotiating leverage given the exposure they could offer an ip.

Why would they want to step into the lion’s den of slots? They’d be a nothing going up against billion $ entrenched competitors, and selling to take-no-prisoner global casinos at relatively slim margins. So many more profitable opportunities to grow pinball as the dominant player.

#2080 7 months ago
    Quoted from Roostking:What if they were the small guy this time around, and undercut the establishment with pricing.

How often has that worked? Minor company with no fundamental advantages and numerous disadvantages trying to take down big, entrenched competitors on price. Would be very surprised if Stern is focused on anything other than how to continue to grow pinball for the next generation. Makes no sense to take their eye off the ball - or let the market shrink due to overreaching on price.

#2200 7 months ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

Take 5 min and search completed sales on the cornerstones from the previous year. You should be able to come up with an average % of MSRP at release. Historically that’s 85-90% within the first year or two…I personally feel like we’re correcting back to this and the sky is not falling.

The wild card is if all the new people (and their significant others) that entered the hobby in the last few years can now stomach 15-20% losses on much higher NIB prices. Plus “old-timers” that will think much harder about rotating games. Plenty will still buy, but if even 2 or 3 out of 10 step to the sidelines it could be very tough for Stern and especially the others.

#2377 7 months ago
    Quoted from kool1:

I still think most Stern Pros are decent value even at $7000.

Have to give Stern credit for successfully positioning pros as being a good value at $7k by charging even more exorbitant amounts for premiums and LE’s.

#2413 7 months ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

But they were right. When GZ costs 11,000 and flippers are turning around and selling for 13,000, absolutely Stern is going to take note and want some of that money. Clearly, stern was leaving money on the table and they want it back.

Yes, but how many of the 1000 LE’s were really being flipped versus all the business negatives of killing FOMO? Lots to be said for creating excitement in the market, quickly selling out LE’s, and reaping the associated benefits of a larger customer base and premium sales.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider luckymoey.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/future-nib-pinball-market?tu=luckymoey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.