Linked Games

Topic poll

“FT vs Getaway”

• Fish Tales 72 votes
    61%
  • The Getaway: High Speed II 46 votes
    39%

(118 votes)

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

All comments and predictions welcomed...
Have fun!
-mof

#3 8 years ago

Two quick questions:

1. Is the FT orbit fun? Does it go in both directions? Is there any sort of diverter that enables/disables it in one direction?
2. Is the FT spinner fun? Does it sound good?

thanks,
mof

#4 8 years ago

To answer your questions yes, yes, & yes.

#5 8 years ago

That's a TOUGH question. I've owned both, and absolutely LOVE both. Fish Tales was traded, and came back a month later at the girlfriend's request. Getaway was sold only because I want to own a near-CQ one some day, but wanted to rotate other games through the collection first.

There is a reason they're the two highest-production non-licensed-theme B/W DMD games. Both are excellent.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Two quick questions:
1. Is the FT orbit fun? Does it go in both directions? Is there any sort of diverter that enables/disables it in one direction?
2. Is the FT spinner fun? Does it sound good?
thanks,
mof

The left orbit shot ends in a saucer. The right orbit shot can make a full loop, or go to the pops, based on a gate.

Fish Tales doesn't have the best spinner, but it's decent.

#7 8 years ago

Are you looking to buy one or the other? If so, have you owned either before?

Or are we discussing just for the hell of it.

#8 8 years ago

My problem with FT is the theme - the country background music is a huge turnoff and the PF just seems odd - can't put my finger on it but it doesn't flow like HS2.

HS2 has an incredible PF and flow. Theme is great, music is great, call outs sound great - just love everything about it so I would def go HS2 (which is why I own one ; ).

#9 8 years ago

HS2 is too easy. I would get to redline mania almost every game. For that reason it had to go. FT still kicks my ass after owning for over 2 years. I don't listen to country music but I kind of like the FT music. I couldn't listen to La Grange one more time. FT has more to do with short ball times. I just checked my average ball times with lightning flippers is 49 secs.

#10 8 years ago

High speed is more fun. A better theme. I am a big car guy so high speed makes the most sense.

#11 8 years ago

I don't really like either. For whatever reason.

#12 8 years ago

Both are great games and I think it comes down to which theme you like better. The jackpots and light show is awesome on Geraway though!

#13 8 years ago

That really is a tough one. As far as FT goes, I also don't care for the country music and the fishing theme. Problem is, the game is awesome!! The theme and artwork are done so well it makes me want to buy a boat. Getaway is also just straight up awesome and one of the fastest games around. In conclusion I go with FT, but only by a hair.

#14 8 years ago

Here are the reasons I don't care for each game.

FT: The symmetrical ramps you can hit all day. It feels cramped. I don't mind the music.
HS2: The super charger. Why is the ball flying around that thing 10 times while I'm sitting here doing nothing?

#15 8 years ago

Don't have a lot of time on ft, but I've owned hs2. Hs2 gets old fast as its shallow and too easy. It was a really fun game, though. I'd like to maybe own FT one day.

#17 8 years ago

Never played getaway but just bought a fish tales and think its a lot of fun!!

#18 8 years ago

I have owned both. FT remains in my collection. It's more challenging and it looks better. I am not the biggest getaway fan however. I prefer the original high speed which also remains in my collection.

#19 8 years ago

flapping fish topper awesome
Gone fishin leave a message!!!!

#20 8 years ago

Can't provide much on this poll just yet.

Love my FT.

I have a getaway, but have yet to play a game on it.

As of today, I have 121 hours into the restore. Hoping to play my 1st game on it soon.

#21 8 years ago

My Getaway isn't going anywhere. 4 years, and still a blast. Visitors love it because the rules are easy to explain. I love it because it's still a blast.

As for FT, I don't like those center shots. They just never feel good to me.

#22 8 years ago

Fish Tales is more frustrating than fun. Getaway is awesome and far more accessible.

Getaway has the better theme, better flow, better sound, better gameplay, better everything. Fish Tales is more challenging but you'll find yourself cursing more than smiling.

I own a Getaway and not a Fish Tales for a reason. I also have yet to find a pin more fun than Getaway as well. Never leaving my collection.

#23 8 years ago

I love both FT and HS2 but have to agree with Sticky. Both are fun but I often walk away from FT frustrated. It has great music, art, and charm but one slightly off shot to the boat ramps and you are done. Gameplay is pretty shallow. Going for locks is tough so better to just go for monster fish. I might like to get one someday but it's not on the top of my list nor will I want to pay much for one.

HS2 is easy by default but can be setup to be more difficult. Gameplay is shallow like FT but has that Ritchie flow. I love banging rpm loops and shifting. Using the plunger during gameplay is such a cool idea. The supercharger is a gimmick but still pretty cool. The lights, dots, and sound make it all come together. I've put in a ton of game on my HS2 and it still gets my blood pumping going for jackpots. I don't think I will keep it forever but it's going to be tough to let go that's for sure.

Both games work better when paired with other pins with deeper rules or different type of gameplay. On their own, I think HS2 is better balanced but both are great examples of early 90's pinball with unique themes.

#24 8 years ago

Fish Tales is awesome. HSll is pretty cool but I vastly prefer the gameplay on FT. Yes I own it!

#25 8 years ago

FT is more fun than Getaway and it's much tougher. I want a FT someday, but can't say the same for HS2.

#26 8 years ago

FT is a great machine, I'll hit them ramps all day, I don't care. All. Day.

#27 8 years ago

I think I'm inclined to agree with the majority (as least how I see it). HS2 is a much more guest friendly game, and a lot more fun for casual pinball players. It will get too easy for most players pretty quick. FT will get more play over time by it's owners because it is more challenging, and generally more challenging pins get played more, even if they are frustrating. So it's important to know what you want it for. Best solution is just to have both! HS2 will stay in my collection because it is a guest favorite as I don't have any other racing pins - but if it's competing with another racing pin, then that may be another story.

Overall both are excellent games. One has more mass appeal to casual or non-pinball players, and the other is more challenging and should get played more by their owner.

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from BrooklynDrug:

FT is a great machine, I'll hit them ramps all day, I don't care. All. Day.

I really enjoy the ramps on it too.

#29 8 years ago

FT by a long shot.

One of the best music packages of any B/W game ever produced. Very deep music package too.

Very strategic playing choices to be made - all about risk/reward. Do you go for Monster Fish all day (yes), or do you go for Jackpots in multiball? Multiball is such a risky strategy but the payoff can be enormous.

There is nothing quite as satisfying as slamming 6 boat shots and then ripping the spinner for the monster fish collect.

Building the long cast (right orbit) is also a really fun challenge.

Rock the Boat is a super exciting mode and getting it going with multiball is a huge payoff.

#30 8 years ago

Have both and neither is leaving!

3 weeks later
#31 8 years ago

Really miss my FT . I have owned both . I will get another FT some day. .? Looking for one

#32 8 years ago

I missed this the first go around. Had chances to buy both at decent prices. Bought neither.

I just don't enjoy Fish Tales at all. Can't put my finger on what it is, but I don't enjoy it.

The Getaway has some code issues that I don't like. Additionally, I worked at an arcade that had one and I found out years later the Super Charger diverter was never working on it. Hadn't realized it should have when I worked there - it was the only one I'd ever seen and I figured it was just for something cool you almost never did.

Found one later on where it worked and was surprised by how much less I thought of the game as I stood there watching it go around that thing.

Ill gladly play a Getaway at a party. I'll pick something else before Fish Tales.

#33 8 years ago

Even though I really like my Getaway, I think FishTales is a better game.

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Here are the reasons I don't care for each game.
FT: The symmetrical ramps you can hit all day. It feels cramped. I don't mind the music.
HS2: The super charger. Why is the ball flying around that thing 10 times while I'm sitting here doing nothing?

These are legit complaints. I like ft more than I should even though it is cramped and all the play is on the bottom. I think it is due to the humor, music, and animations. That part all came together.

#35 8 years ago

After owning many pins over the years, FT is gonna stay!

After 'studying' this game, I am beginning to believe it is one of the best conceptual games ever made. Such a FULL package!

So many unique and fun aspects of it: Loading the reel, hitting the multipliers in the upper rollover lanes, the two ramp modes, trying to get a ball into the Caster's Club during multi-ball, shooting for Monster Fish, hitting the ball at the center of the boat ramp, all those choices that get randomly selected as it scrolls up and down during Depth Finder, the always enjoyable brief respite from playing and then firing the torpedoes in the video mode, the topper with the fish flopping, the music (not only is the so-called country music very well done, but the end of game music for putting in your initials that sounds like calypso is just beautiful! I just stand and listen to that until it fully plays out.), the Extra Ball target that is SO hard to hit, snappy flippers . . . . I am amazed at how many 'things' this pin was designed to do.

I actually like it over my LOTR LE, WOZ LE, TSPP, and MMr.

Mike in Kentucky

#36 8 years ago

Just picked a fish tales up and got done cleaning. Man is it fun! Its one of those pins that is just a blast to play, and when you get in the groove you can put up some awesome scores. I cant comment on getaway as have never played, but is definitely on my list.

#37 8 years ago

my first FT only left to get one in better shape (thanks guidotorpedo!-is he still around?)...really like the options in gameplay , the theme and the humor. looking for another game from that era, so maybe my question of which one is answered! get a HS2...

#38 8 years ago

hs2. FT makes me behave violently.

#39 8 years ago

What does a 'decent' HS2 go for? I know its tough to say without seeing, but a range anyway? Got my FT for $2,200 but needed a little work. cleaned up very nicely though. spent money on LED's, and a couple of plastics. DMD getting a little flaky now. etc.

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from yoshootme:

What does a 'decent' HS2 go for?

1800-2200

#41 8 years ago

I'd bump that up by $200 on both side with what I've seen recently, actually.

#42 8 years ago

I have been playing them a lot on location lately, both are great fun. they are quick brutal games.

but i would have to pick fish tales by a little. the ramps are a blast

#43 8 years ago

Getaway Love it!

#44 8 years ago

I find that Fish Tales is a drain monster

#45 8 years ago

i have fixed and played fish tales. i use to love it until i fixed one. the art on fish tales is solid. the game play is boring. all of the action is really in the front half of the game. not a deep game either. HS is very fun.

#46 8 years ago
Quoted from Pintucky:

After owning many pins over the years, FT is gonna stay!
After 'studying' this game, I am beginning to believe it is one of the best conceptual games ever made. Such a FULL package!
So many unique and fun aspects of it: Loading the reel, hitting the multipliers in the upper rollover lanes, the two ramp modes, trying to get a ball into the Caster's Club during multi-ball, shooting for Monster Fish, hitting the ball at the center of the boat ramp, all those choices that get randomly selected as it scrolls up and down during Depth Finder, the always enjoyable brief respite from playing and then firing the torpedoes in the video mode, the topper with the fish flopping, the music (not only is the so-called country music very well done, but the end of game music for putting in your initials that sounds like calypso is just beautiful! I just stand and listen to that until it fully plays out.), the Extra Ball target that is SO hard to hit, snappy flippers . . . . I am amazed at how many 'things' this pin was designed to do.
I actually like it over my LOTR LE, WOZ LE, TSPP, and MMr.
Mike in Kentucky

A perfect summary of a perfect game. I can't think of one thing on FT that feels out of place, awkward, unfinished etc. and that calypso music makes me dance every time.

The true measure is the 100M SJP. It feels deserved as opposed to unbalanced. It's hella dangerous and shot under pressure. It's RAD!

#47 8 years ago

FT is a classic game.
Getaway is a sequel to a classic game that isn't as good as either.

#48 8 years ago

Few shots in pinball feel as satisfying and just plain amazing as the 100 mil super in ft. It's a hard setup and a long road but the payoff is soooooo good. Ft is a players game wrapped up in a pretty package. I've owned two of them, my first I really didn't like as I didn't have the chops for it yet. Now it's one of my top pins of all time, the replay ability is just awesome. As a similar comparison I've also owned two bsd's. Absolutely loved them as well but as far as the entire package, ft is it baby. Both very tough games, but here's the difference,

Ft smiles at you with a little smirk as the ball drains....

Bsd flips you off and laughs...

Sorry I know you are talking hs2, but I just felt compelled to make the comparison to the two..

Hs2 is pinball. The theme is fun, a great game for the novice, and just a overall good time. SR knows how to make a shot just feel good and sometimes that's all you need. I respect these types of games more and more. The ability to pull in a player that never has heard of pinball is a testament of great design and has stood the test of time.

I route both of these games and they are side by side. Both represent the era very well and are amazing in their own rights. I've been foolish and let both go the first time. They are bolted to the floor now, and if it matters ft and t2 would be two games I'd be buried in.....sttng may be there as well, but time will tell. Man I love that Ritchie family. Get both!

#49 8 years ago

I much prefer the getaway

#50 8 years ago

+1 for Getaway

// Error: Image 365295 not found //

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
G-Money Mods

Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, ON
$ 72.50
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fish-tales-vs-getaway and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.