Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by PersonX99
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

FYI, I am new to EPROM burning. I'm assuming it works like load code on a microcontroller (with a few differences).
I have a G540 USB eprom burner
Using a 27C801 (athough a 27C080 was specified). I believe they are compatible.
Configured app to recognize ST-27C801 .
Erased EPROM, loaded ROM in software app, burnt rom. Software did verify and everything looks ok.
Put in pin (carefully), and when I turn it on, I get a few moment of silence followed by a repeated beeping sound (like an alarm).
Pulled ROM out and put in original and it worked ok.
Tried same process again and got the same results.
The ROM chip is larger than the original, but I did not see any jumpers on the pin to set it to use the larger ROM.
ROM size is 1MB.

Questions:

--If anyone is familiar with the burn app for the G540, what settings should I use for "fill blank area with" as well as other settings. I was using the defaults.

--Do I always need to change jumpers on the board in the pin when using a larger ROM(In my case, the game is Demolition Man)?

--Any thoughts on the "beeping sound" on startup? Is it a common result?

Thanks for any info.

#2 10 years ago

Probably need to double check the jumpers if you are using a larger EPROM. I am not familiar with DM if it has jumpers or what.

#3 10 years ago

Also sometimes I heard you can sometimes use a larger EPROM if you "double up" the code. What it means is that you make a binary copy of the orignal EPROM before burning. So if you had a 512k code and 1mb eprom, you copy the code 2 times into one file. In DOS you use "copy fn+fn2" or something. I think this will only work though if the bigger chip is pin compatable with the smaller chip. So, the game is fooled into thinking it has the smaller chip in place and reads the code correctly. I haven't yet done this, only read about it.

#4 10 years ago

I never really have much luck using EPROMs that are different then the original size, why not copy over the EPROM thats in there?

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from fusion301:

I never really have much luck using EPROMs that are different then the original size, why not copy over the EPROM thats in there?

Do this but back it up first. Always use the correct size chip for the code, less headaches that way...

#6 10 years ago

If you're trying to load Jim's Demolition Time, then the jumper settings on the WPC are fine as it. The original is a 4MB and DT uses 8MB. No changes required for that.

I'm not sure what the cause of your issue is however. I'm not familiar with your programmer. Does the checksum match expected value after programming? Did you try and do a verify after programming?

FYI, I am running it and not having any issues.

Jaz

#7 10 years ago

I've had similar issues and I think it was because the chip didn't erase all the way. Maybe I have a lousy UV eraser but it takes a long time. Does your software have an blank check? Also triple check the legs after you install it. It's very easy for one leg to pop out and sometimes tough to see.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from Jazman:

If you're trying to load Jim's Demolition Time, then the jumper settings on the WPC are fine as it. The original is a 4MB and DT uses 8MB. No changes required for that.
I'm not sure what the cause of your issue is however. I'm not familiar with your programmer. Does the checksum match expected value after programming? Did you try and do a verify after programming?
FYI, I am running it and not having any issues.
Jaz

Yes, I am trying to burn Demolition Time. I will try erasing using the UV eraser again only this time I will do a blank check prior to programming. The programmer does a verify after burning and has yet to complain. I'll give it another try based on the suggestions I have received so far. Hopefully, it is something easily corrected.

Thanks.

#9 10 years ago

You may also want to hook your programmer up to an external power source if its not already. Also you can try a double writing the chip if you don't have an external power supply.

viperrwk

#10 10 years ago

If you use a larger eprom:

1. Ensure the pinout is the same. Often they're quite different especially in the 25xx vs 27xx vs TMS27xx series and require an adaptor. In fact any use of a larger one may likely require one to ensure it does something with the additional address pins even if the pinout is the same and the socket could handle the extra pins -- but they may not be connected -- see below.

2. Double (or quad, as appropriate) up your code is safest, but you should also tie any of the additional address lines high or low -- don't leave it floating as you could end up getting 'dirty' reads out of the alternate "bank" of code (why you double up code anyway) Tie-ing means connect the address pin directly to GND or VCC (+5V)

The advantage of using larger proms is you can then do bank-switching to quickly switch between two (4, 8...) rom versions. Like a home rom and arcade rom rev. Tie a DPDT switch(es) to the address lines and have the center lead go to the line, and then one end to GND and the other end to VCC. Then, with the game off, just flip the switch to select the alternate rom. This assumes you burn rom 1 into the 'low' bank, and then rom 2 into the 'high' bank.

#11 10 years ago

ok, though I could not determine what my previous mistake was, I successfully got the new rom working on DM.
Here is what I did do:
a)put eprom in UV eraser.
b)verfied blank in browser
c)loaded rom in se app
d)burn it on the emprom
e)verified write
f)covered eprom window with tape (hadn't does this in previous tests)
g)carefully placed in socket. checked that all legs look properly seated
h)turn game on and 'ding', it works.

That's for all the helpful info.
Now I'm thinking about burning the 'swear' roms, if only to do another burn. Anyone know the eprom used for the sound roms in WPC machines? I did not see it specfically listed in the manual, only the part#. I can probably just read it off the existing chips, but I figured someone already has done this and would have a recommendation.

#12 10 years ago

Hi,

I use the G540 USB Eprom Burner too, but this Burner is a lot of crap !!

I have always Problems, to burn some Types of Eproms,
especially the "old" N-MOS, like 2716, 2732 and 2764.
they use a Programming-Voltage of 21 V - 25 V and
it is not possible to burn this Type Eproms correctly.

I recommend: don't buy this piece of shit.

#13 10 years ago

Most USB burners are crap because they can't provide enough amperage at the elevated voltage levels required by old chips. They try to up the 5V/500ma maximum power provided by a USB port up to 21-25V and simple power logic shows that fixed available amperage must go down when volts go up and it's not enough to make the chip take the programming.

Sometimes you can use an external power brick and a VERY short USB cable to help, but I've seen the same results on some USB programmers.

#14 10 years ago

I have both an old Data I/O and G540 programmers. I use the latter almost all the time with an external power brick on an old windows XP laptop on a USB port designed to power an external CD drive. Have had no issues with the G540 burning/reburning 2532/2716/2732s as well as newer chips. I always hook it to external power to burn.

viperrwk

#15 10 years ago

My G540 does not have an external power socket. Do I need to add one myself? I certainly don't mind adding one. Any instructions on how to do this (i.e. voltage, current, where on board to attach power).
Thanks.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monroe Township, NJ
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 85.00
4,690 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 81.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eprom-burn-questions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.