(Topic ID: 40695)

EM Resto: Black rings around inserts...Sharpie, paint, or other?

By Old_Hutch

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by ne1
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2013-02-14_13.45.56.jpg
2013-02-14_13.57.36.jpg
soccer_22.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider newmantjn.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 11 years ago

If the outside of the ring is intact, I will touch it up by hand with Liquitex acrylics. If not, I use a variation of this method:

https://picasaweb.google.com/118003252068396696045/PopACircle

Usually, now I find the center of the circle by putting down a small piece of tape and striking 4 arcs from the edge of the circle. This will locate the center. Then I put down friscut and cut the circle using the center that I just found. I also bought a few nice compasses on flea bay.

I have yet to find a paint marker that doesn't bleed under a cc, especially a 2 part auto clear.

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Don't use Varathane, or any other water or oil based clear - these kill the "punch" of the art because they don't dry totally clear (and oil tends to yellow). ALWAYS use 2 part auto clear coat

For ***very*** small areas, I will spot clear with acrylic lacquer, if that was original to the machine, or for ****very****very**** small, a quick swipe with clear nail polish, which is essentially lacquer.

Another option for very small areas is to slap some mylar on it. The removable stuff is best, but it appears Mark Clayton is still not up to speed since his illness. You can use clear vinyl laminating film as a removable mylar as well.

A total clear coat is the best overall solution, if it is required.

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from johninc:

I'm using a vinyl cutter to make stencils. First, after measuring, drawing, remeasuring, redrawing, etc., I came up with this

What is the material you are using, exactly?

How do you position it? This looks promising. I think the cutter may be overkill and I would likely use my cutting compass, but I would like to maybe try it with the material you use.

Thanks.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider newmantjn.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-resto-black-rings-around-insertssharpie-paint-or-other?tu=newmantjn and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.