C931D529-CE18-4C15-AE74-1949A5FBEA79 (resized).jpeg
Elvira 3 (resized).jpg
CDF66674-1DDE-460C-A507-5BE5B788AFE4 (resized).jpeg
4577617E-C278-4EDB-8FBA-71460C0D15A2 (resized).jpeg
0FBF16E5-073E-4F62-9444-C0CA93440874 (resized).jpeg
E8369BE1-34AC-45CB-856F-B20B30A23A75 (resized).jpeg
elvira (resized).jpg
CD3726C7-9FE2-4F3F-BD6B-701520A2B9B0 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider explosiveegg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#152 2 years ago
Quoted from Hillel:

I believe some of you are reading too much into this announcement and posing speculations that may be selling Stern's integrity and loyalty to their customers short. There is no way the company that so many supported all these years, would make us wait more than a year with a deposit on an additional run of Elvira HOH Premiums because of a lack of supplies/parts, and then go ahead and produce this 40th Anniversary game before getting our Premiums to us. I am reading this announcement as an indication that they anticipate having all necessary back ordered parts in stock so they can build the Premiums and then these Anniversary editions. Hope I'm right about that, because that is speculation as well until Stern shares their plans with us. Lastly, doesn't a pre-order deposit lock in the price? If not, I feel like I'm in that Seinfeld episode where the Car Rental staff told him they had his reservation, they just didn't have a car to go with that reservation. Duh

Stern seems to care more about the bottom line over customer satisfaction.

I would not be surprised if they do this 40th Anniversary run before the Premiums just to ensure that the Premiums are made next year with their new, more expensive pricing system.

From my understanding, EHOH is going to have an MSRP of just under $11k next year, which is a big jump up from their current $8500 MSRP. People tend to forget that EHOH, like B66 is one of Stern's special premiums that come with an additional upcharge, currently those sell for about a grand more than normal Premiums.

Hence, pushing the EHOH run back to 2022 will certainly make Stern a lot more money.

#154 2 years ago
Quoted from explosiveegg:

Stern seems to care more about the bottom line over customer satisfaction.
I would not be surprised if they do this 40th Anniversary run before the Premiums just to ensure that the Premiums are made next year with their new, more expensive pricing system.
From my understanding, EHOH is going to have an MSRP of just under $11k next year, which is a big jump up from their current $8500 MSRP. People tend to forget that EHOH, like B66 is one of Stern's special premiums that come with an additional upcharge, currently those sell for about a grand more than normal Premiums.
Hence, pushing the EHOH run back to 2022 will certainly make Stern a lot more money. On top of that, they can charge what ever they want for those new LEs, which will certainly net them a couple million profit. In their eyes, it's a win win.

#317 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's funny to me that people say this.
Seems to me Stern customers tend to be extremely satisfied. They keep buying Stern pinball machines and seem to be happy when they do. The 199 people who bought this 40th edition game are likely very satisfied. Or else why did they buy it?!

I think people like Stern games. They've released some killer games recently. It's a good product and their poor customer service isn't enough to stop people from wanting the product. I'm in this boat.

Will I be upset when they likely build the 40th anniversary Elvira's before my Premium Elvira I've had on back order for over a year? Yes.

Is it a shitty thing to do when they keep saying they aren't making more because they don't have parts, for them to get parts and just make a new edition? Yes.

Is that enough from stopping me from buying this great game? No.

1 week later
#387 2 years ago
Quoted from WODKA:

Been saving up for an Elvira for a while now. First they increase the price and then you'll have to wait almost a year to get your pin. I think you lost me Stern.

I'm in the same boat.

This was going to be my first NIB from Stern. Put in a preorder from my distributor around July. Was told the would be running them around December once they got enough parts. That date got pushed back, which sucked, but was understandable.

Then they increased the price by $1600 due to the game being pushed back to 2022, which felt like a steep jump, it was less understandable, but I was still keeping my order. Don't get me wrong, a price increase during these times is understandable, $1600 just seems a little extreme.

Now it sounds like they're doing this 40th LE run before those premiums and are using up all the parts so that they have to push back the premiums again to mid 2022? It's not only that, but they are screwing over the previous LE owners by showing them there LE doesn't mean anything.

I don't think you can excuse the decision making. They clearly don't care about their customers and I don't want to support that. I can't remember the last time I was treated this poorly by a company. I've canceled my order. Not that one order will make a difference... I just can't in good conscious support this behavior. I'm definitely going to avoid ordering new games from Stern in the future, though I will probably still buy used ones. They do make some great pins after all.

CCr will now be my first NIB and Toy Story will likely be my second.

#397 2 years ago
Quoted from Tilt:

I know being a Stern distributor that some will take this with a grain of salt. But I just think that its strange that you say that you will not buy a stern again and will buy a CCr and a Toy Story.
CGC did the same thing with Medieval Madness. They announced the remake with only 1000 copies being made, the next day they announced that due to demand that they will now make a standard edition. Then a few laters they release more versions.
JJP is the leader of doing this. Wizard of Oz had the LE (emerald city) Then came out with the Ruby Red 75th Anniversary, then the yellow brick road

To be honest, I'm not really annoyed with Stern for making another version of Elvira.

Almost every distributor has shown the LEs aren't really limited. I honestly would prefer companies just stop with the LE versions. Don't get me wrong, I like what they do with these games, but I think they should just be another tier above premium, that is unlimited, if people want to pay more for the extra features, they can. If people want the items and have the money, let them. I'm not a fan of the FOMO that LEs create (though I do get why companies would want to make them). I did get the pre-order of an LE of Cactus Canyon, but I could care less about the 'rarity', I think the additional features warranted the extra grand in cost, and would not mind in the slightest if they allowed more people to buy it.

What annoys me about the situation is that I placed an order in July for a premium EHOH. They pushed back production from December, to early 2022 due to a lack of parts. Then they added the clause, since that game is no longer being made in 2021, they're charging an addition $1600 for it. This was all bad news, but understandable, I was annoyed, but understood where they're coming from, parts are hard to come by and everything is going up in price.

What rubs me the wrong way is they somehow have parts to make these 40th EHOH games and are choosing to make those before the premiums, even pushing the premiums timeline back another 6 months. They essentially gave the people like me who've been waiting patiently for their premiums a middle finger. They have the parts to make our premium games that they have been gladly taking deposits for, and instead of making the premiums they decided to use those parts on one of the most insane cash grabs I've ever seen. It honestly feels like they knew that they said the price would go up in 2022 for the premiums, so the decided to come up with the 40th EHOH as a ploy to prevent them from making anymore EHOH at the rate the initially promised.

All around this situation felt super scummy and has disappointed me beyond belief. Essentially, since I'm not willing to spend $25k on the game, I'm pushed to the side. They've made me feel like a second class customer.

This was my first attempt at buying a new game and almost every month it felt like another slap in that face.

Which is why I canceled my pre-order and will try to reframe from ordering from them again.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no saint, and will probably still buy used games of theirs down the road and I'll still play their titles on location. I'm just going to direct the bulk of my money to the other companies.

#400 2 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

I don’t see the 40th causing any significant impact to LE/SLE owners. At $22k-$25k the 40th is going to be in a very limited market niche. Anyone buying these isn’t going to be selling for a very long time.
As an LE owner, I don’t care at all. The people that appear to be getting screwed are those with long term confirmed Premium orders

I honestly think the LEs and SLEs look slightly better than the 40th Edition too. The fact that they used the 'bloody' side armor, painted it purple, but kept the side art blood red just looks wrong. And the 40th Anniversary on the backglass just looks like a sticker added too. The game looks a little thrown together.

That being said the foil artwork on the body of the machine looks amazing! And the dagger is a nice touch.

#406 2 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

I agree that Stern seems to have played a little fast and loose with the Elvira schedule but find it somewhat ironic you are switching to CCr with all the recent talk over topper gate and supposedly dissing buyers.
I don’t think you can go wrong with CCr but in the long run I think Elvira will be the better game. And would think hard about buying any game from JJP until they get playfield quality under control. I really want Toy Story too but no way I’m buying one before that.

Don't get me wrong. If I seen an EHOH used for a reasonable price. I'm still going to jump on it. Stern makes some great games, I just don't want to order from them directly. Which I admit is a bit hypocritical.

In my eyes, what really makes EHOH shine is Lyman's code. Which is a big reason why I put an order in for CCr. I'm essentially betting on his code giving the game more life. The layout is awesome, it just needs to the code to support it.

I knew going into my pre-order that they were considering making toppers for the SEs. I honestly side with the company's decision on the whole topper-gate thing.

The JJP playfield issue does have me concerned. I do question how wide spread the issue actually is. I've been making it a habit to really examine their games when I see them on location, and I haven't seen any chipping. I would expect it to effect location games more than HUO games too. That being said, if I buy it and the game ends up chipping like crazy. I will definitely avoid them as well. If it makes a small chip in one location that doesn't effect the gameplay, I could care less. I'm not very anal about those kinds of things.

In my eyes, JJP makes some of the best 'Worlds Under Glass' games out there. Stern sometimes beats JJP in 'kinetic satisfaction', however JJP is steps above everyone else in terms of theme integration and light show. Their machines are works of art and I want to support them for that reason. I also don't have a Lawlor game and want one. From my understanding this is his last game, then he'll take on a roll similar to Gomez at Stern. With this, I expect he'll want to go out with a bang. Also, the guy known for cool toys working on Toy Story, this is a winning combination.

#409 2 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Where is the source of the information that premiums are not being run along with the 40'th and are getting pushed out to another 6 - 12 months? Is this real or just more rumors about how evil Stern is?

My distributor told me they are no longer giving him an expectation date of the run. Which he said means they're probably pushing it back again. There are a couple of other people that have said their distributors have told them middle of next year now.

I honestly think Stern is really just playing everything by year and are using up the parts they have on these 40th EHOH. I expect it to be mid 2022 now, but that is speculation. They could still make them in February like they were saying before.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Led Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 18.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 36.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 47.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Space Coast Pinball

$ 26.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 1,075.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Orange County Pinballs

$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Led Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
SilverBall Designs

$ 20.00
Playfield - Other
Docquest Pinball Mods

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

18,500 (OBO)
$ 10,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Led Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Pyramid Pinball & Arcade

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Cento Creations

$ 35.00
Playfield - Other
Pinhead mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Docquest Pinball Mods

$ 1,099.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider explosiveegg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elvira-s-house-of-horrors-40th-anniversary-edition?tu=explosiveegg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.