(Topic ID: 309691)

Elvira HOH Crashed and now won't turn on.

By bloodydrake

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

#1 2 years ago

We were playing a game then the LCD display froze and we could still hear the audio playing tho. We reset the table and after that no lights on the table at all not even the optos.. i can see theres power to the cpu node board and backbox power relay(?)
on the cpu board i can see the status like flashing two flashes slight pause then two flashes...just repeats

I recorded little video to show.

I'm good with minor things but I'm not sure how to approach this..

Should i just reach out to stern directly or contact reseller?
Any advice would be appreciated

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from bloodydrake:

We were playing a game then the LCD display froze and we could still hear the audio playing tho. We reset the table and after that no lights on the table at all not even the optos.. i can see theres power to the cpu node board and backbox power relay(?)
on the cpu board i can see the status like flashing two flashes slight pause then two flashes...just repeats

Turn off the game then remove and reinstall the SD card. It that doesn’t work contact Stern.

#3 2 years ago

My worst fear about Spike games is this happening.

I'd do some simple things first. Turn game off and remove SD card, reinsert and turn the game back on. If that didn't work, turn game off, reseat connectors including ethernet cables and turn back on. If still nothing after that I'd call your distributor first but probably a failed node board is my guess.

#4 2 years ago

I had something similar happen to me when I first got it. Flashing a new SD card solved my issue.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from bloodydrake:

I would reach out to Stern at [email protected]

Point out to them that https://sternpinball.com/support/ has no schematic for your Elvira's House of Horrors (Premium Edition) SPIKE CPU Node 509-1003-01
and the SPIKE system manual at https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/SPIKE-System-Manual.pdf doesn't indicate what the flash codes mean either.

It's worth flashing a new SD card. Cross your fingers that is the issue.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Turn off the game then remove and reinstall the SD card. It that doesn’t work contact Stern.

ok will do thanks for the tip

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

I would reach out to Stern at [email protected]
Point out to them that https://sternpinball.com/support/ has no schematic for your Elvira's House of Horrors (Premium Edition) SPIKE CPU Node 509-1003-01
and the SPIKE system manual at https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/SPIKE-System-Manual.pdf doesn't indicate what the flash codes mean either.
It's worth flashing a new SD card. Cross your fingers that is the issue.

thankyou very much for the insight and links

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from marioparty34:

I had something similar happen to me when I first got it. Flashing a new SD card solved my issue.

This ^^ …the SD cards stink so purchased new ones and used instructions on Sterns site to solve.

#9 2 years ago

I burned a backup SD and tested it yesterday on my Elvira, booted up fine. Put it in a ziploc bag in the goodie bag. As mentioned, I'd try burning one. It's easy.

#10 2 years ago

if the SD card stuff doesn't work, try reseating that 12 pin connector on the right hand side of the cpu (with the game off). Make sure all the strain is out of the cable.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from kidAtHeart:

I burned a backup SD and tested it yesterday on my Elvira, booted up fine. Put it in a ziploc bag in the goodie bag. As mentioned, I'd try burning one. It's easy.

Is this a recommended contingency for all Spike games? Or is this specific to EHOH?

#12 2 years ago

really appreciate the tips I'll be trying once i get an sd card reader for my pc.(never needed one before)

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from kidAtHeart:

and ya if this works I'm probably gonna do two just to have a backup,

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from kidAtHeart:

I burned a backup SD and tested it yesterday on my Elvira, booted up fine. Put it in a ziploc bag in the goodie bag.

Quoted from jonnyqtrek:

Is this a recommended contingency for all Spike games? Or is this specific to EHOH?

If you're capable of making a new SD card in a few minutes it's not critical that you have a spare on hand for every game. If you're down for a week waiting then having a spare on hand is probably a good idea.

You know your situation best. The games will not function without a working SD card.

#15 2 years ago

One reason to have a spare is that a known good card can be inserted if the game doesn't work. It may still not work but you've eliminated that as an issue.
Burning one when the game is down, if it doesn't come up, you might wonder whether you created a good disk image. So for $4, it's a good exercise.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from bloodydrake:

As others have mentioned it's very possible the SD card has been compromised. It's more common than you think, Stern actually had a bad batch of SD cards that failed and they sent out new ones to owners but as I recall it has not happened recently. As it looks in your video the CPU is active and LED is flashing as it's trying to get info, I'd try a new SD and see if that takes care of it.

https://sternpinball.com/support/sd-cards/

1 week later
#17 2 years ago
Quoted from bloodydrake:

really appreciate the tips I'll be trying once i get an sd card reader for my pc.(never needed one before)

any updates?

#18 2 years ago

Can spike game take any size sd card or limited to a certain size?

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Can spike game take any size sd card or limited to a certain size?

I think you mean capacity since SD cards are all the same physical size.

The short answer is PROBABLY 32 Gb, the largest capacity for SDHC cards.

If the reader supports SDXC the max capacity is 2 Tb but there is no guarantee the file system will support that much. It should since it’s Linux based but I don’t know how it was implemented.

#20 2 years ago

Hello sorry for the delayed response, I ended up ordering two 16gig cards from amazon and used card reader on work laptop to write them on the weekend.
I can say this was the issue once i put in new card it fired up with latest code.

Thanks again for all the advice, Feels like a spare might be a good idea for the swag bag in all new orders honestly.

#21 2 years ago

Good to hear!

#22 2 years ago

What class SD card is best, and did you order the full size SD card or use the SD to MicroSD adapter to take advantage of the more modern card?

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from Fordiesel69:

What class SD card is best, and did you order the full size SD card or use the SD to MicroSD adapter to take advantage of the more modern card?

Don’t mess with the micro SD cards. They will work but it is another layer of possible problems.

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from Fordiesel69:

SD to MicroSD adapter to take advantage of the more modern card?

I disagree with your premises that a micro version is more modern than a full size SD card and offers any advantage.
https://www.sdcard.org/developers/sd-standard-overview/

You're limited by the card reader. ANY current SD card should work since the standard is supposed to be backwards compatible. But in practice that doesn't always happen. It's typically a file system difference in my experience. IF SPIKE2 uses exFAT in theory it should recognize up to 128 TB but I would be surprised if the controller would function with over 2 TB. I don't think any SPIKE2 game yet needs a card with more than 32 GB capacity. The .zip for Rush premium is only 8 GB.

#25 2 years ago

So what SD card should I buy? Like the original poster, I now would like to be proactive and get some spares so in case mando or rush fail to boot I got a first like of defense.

I understand this as the old network routers I use to be familiar with booted from CF cards (yes that is right CF cards like the old 1999 era digital cameras. ) For no reason at all one would die and on the next power cycle after changing the UPS battery it failed.

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from Fordiesel69:

So what SD card should I buy? Like the original poster, I now would like to be proactive and get some spares so in case mando or rush fail to boot I got a first like of defense.
I understand this as the old network routers I use to be familiar with booted from CF cards (yes that is right CF cards like the old 1999 era digital cameras. ) For no reason at all one would die and on the next power cycle after changing the UPS battery it failed.

I use these.

https://www.amazon.com/PNY-Performance-Class-Flash-P-SDHC16GU1GW-GE/dp/B07TCJRXQL/ref=sr_1_6

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 1,075.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Orange County Pinballs

$ 47.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Space Coast Pinball

$ 34.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
BomberMods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Plastics
SilverBall Designs

$ 36.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
PWM Designs

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Led Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Pyramid Pinball & Arcade

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Docquest Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 10,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elvira-hoh-crashed-and-now-won-t-turn-on?hl=kidatheart and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.