(Topic ID: 80044)

Don't believe the market hype..

By barakawins

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

thepin.jpg
    00Y0Y_6pfRyX7dmVA_600x450.jpg
    image.jpg
    There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 10 years ago

Searching all around and seeing the high prices for some of these machines is a bit crazy.
    No one is selling their machines unless the prices are astronomical. Has anyone really sold
    their machines for above top dollar? Ebay prices for coin op arcade and pinball are out of line too.

This market is going to out price itself even more and eventually will be killed. Interests will turn elsewhere
    based on prices. Is it me or does anyone out there see the same thing happening. Are the $3500 machines
    really now worth $7.5 - $8k? It's crazy. Especially when NIB is less.

#2 10 years ago

(looks at watch) Geez, has it been that long since we had a price thread?

#3 10 years ago

I like the ebay pins with worn out playfields that are top dollar. Who would pay $2.5k for a DE 1980's pin? They have to sell eventually or they would not be relisted.

#4 10 years ago

Pinside is all about market hype. Don't be a buzzkill.

#5 10 years ago

Dude, no one is selling there games for posted prices. Probably ever. Especially now.

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from barakawins:

Searching all around and seeing the high prices for some of these machines is a bit crazy.
    No one is selling their machines unless the prices are astronomical. Has anyone really sold
    their machines for above top dollar? Ebay prices for coin op arcade and pinball are out of line too.
    This market is going to out price itself even more and eventually will be killed. Interests will turn elsewhere
    based on prices. Is it me or does anyone out there see the same thing happening. Are the $3500 machines
    really now worth $7.5 - $8k? It's crazy. Especially when NIB is less.

Bubble burst in Oct 2013. All downhill from here. It's a buyers market now, saturation ensues.
    Only so much money, so much room and to many games coming to the new assembly lines.

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from mnpinball:

Bubble burst in Oct 2013. All downhill from here. It's a buyers market now, saturation ensues.
    Only so much money, so much room and to many games coming to the new assembly lines.

^ this
    You are dead right.
    Soon the woz games will be 6000
    Metle is already 7000
    Acdc premium at 5500 not selling
    There's no extra cash out there right now and most guys are looking to trAde because they can't sell for actual money.

#8 10 years ago

Yup, thinned out my games to my must haves. Going to get tighter and tighter as its fully saturated and many more new games to come this year.

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from Colehvac1:

^ this
    You are dead right.
    Soon the woz games will be 6000
    Metle is already 7000
    Acdc premium at 5500 not selling
    There's no extra cash out there right now and most guys are looking to trAde because they can't sell for actual money.

10$ by Xmas...

#10 10 years ago

Games will always sell for the price people are willing to pay. Price cheerlead, price pump, tire kick, low ball, it doesn't matter what people do to manipulate a price. I have never seen any pin sell for a higher than normal price because somebody posts on Pinside, "I wish I was closer".

99.9% of the people on Pinside are intelligent enough to know what pins are going for. People ask for a slightly higher price so they can negotiate a deal.

If you want to know what things are selling for STOP looking at what people are asking and START looking at threads that have the word SOLD in the title, or go to Ebay and look at the completed listings prices (green highlighed, not red) that show buyers with multiple positive feedback that don't show any ties to the seller.

In brief- price values are set on completed sells, not necessarily on what people are asking.

#11 10 years ago

$7000 for a new pin = $2000 1990's pins selling for $3500
    Eventually, when the new pin dealers have a warehouse full
    of pins (that most of us can't afford), they'll sell those $7k pins
    for $5k and the prices will drop back to "normal" on the used pins.

Hopefully it happens before anyone looking to get into this hobby
    gets turned off by the current prices and those of us that already own pins,
    don't get sick of all the BS prices.

#12 10 years ago

Thank God I started collecting before pinflation, tooo many noobs willing to pay tooo much money priced me out of buying unless I sold, it used to be I just saved for one and then bought, now I have to sell in order to buy. I still don't get the paying for a pin in full that doesn't exist.

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from Colehvac1:

Thank God I started collecting before pinflation, tooo many noobs willing to pay tooo much money priced me out of buying unless I sold, it used to be I just saved for one and then bought, now I have to sell in order to buy. I still don't get the paying for a pin in full that doesn't exist.

Or playing it before dropping $7k !!!

#14 10 years ago

Can we just have one giant price bitching and noob complaining thread?

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from gambit3113:

Can we just have one giant price bitching and noob complaining thread?

The answer is: No.

#16 10 years ago

Well, hell.

#17 10 years ago

well were getting closer, didn't want to shit on a fs thread , but just a note wozle huo asking 7000 just listed in florida
    one more hundred and its in the sixes, by the time they all get shipped they will be worth less than pre-order price imho

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from Colehvac1:

well were getting closer, didn't want to shit on a fs thread , but just a note wozle huo asking 7000 just listed in florida
    one more hundred and its in the sixes, by the time they all get shipped they will be worth less than pre-order price imho

This is possible....

#19 10 years ago

I have been saying this for years....eBay prices are a huge problem...when a seller has no idea what to price their pin at, they use ebay pricing as their guide....and drop it 100 or 200...these games keep getting relisted over and over..and many don't know that searching completed listings would show how many times it did not sell.... anyone interested in the 3300 space jam that is on there??

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Dude, no one is selling there games for posted prices. Probably ever. Especially now.

Well, not in my neck of the woods. Past 4-5 games, not one person budged on their list price when I contacted them or met them in person. I'm temporally out of the pinball part of arcade game collecting until things settle down.

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinballsmith:

Well, not in my neck of the woods. Past 4-5 games, not one person budged on their list price when I contacted them or met them in person. I'm temporally out of the pinball part of arcade game collecting until things settle down.

They are settling down right now my friend save up your money and get ready

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from Colehvac1:

They are settling down right now my friend save up your money and get ready

I am noticing the increase in things not selling, but for some reason people are more persistent than usual in trying to get top dollar. I have money put aside for the inevitable collapse.

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from balboarules:

I have been saying this for years....eBay prices are a huge problem...when a seller has no idea what to price their pin at, they use ebay pricing as their guide....and drop it 100 or 200...these games keep getting relisted over and over..and many don't know that searching completed listings would show how many times it did not sell.... anyone interested in the 3300 Space Jam that is on there??

Just for fun I checked twilight zone completed listings..one sold for $7999..and another for $7795.
    There are a bunch in the $6k group that ain't selling..go figure and "keep saying" for more years to come.
    You made me look.

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from balboarules:

I have been saying this for years....eBay prices are a huge problem...when a seller has no idea what to price their pin at, they use ebay pricing as their guide....and drop it 100 or 200...these games keep getting relisted over and over..and many don't know that searching completed listings would show how many times it did not sell.... anyone interested in the 3300 Space Jam that is on there??

I send private emails to these idiots with a giant LOL in the message! Sometimes I ask if they are on meth.

#25 10 years ago

Market prizes, bubles bursting .....

galagamaster still banned, is he?

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from ShinyBall:

Just for fun I checked Twilight Zone completed listings..one sold for $7999..and another for $7795.
    There are a bunch in the $6k group that ain't selling..go figure and "keep saying" for more years to come.
    You made me look.

Made you look! : )

#27 10 years ago

People are still paying though. My buddy sold a faded blown out Bsd for 2k. Another sold a beat bttf for 2200. Location location...east coast still seems strong.

#28 10 years ago

I'm still trying to find a project TZ to work on and it seems that project games in general no longer exist. Fixing things up is why I really got into this hobby. Anyways, I'm off to go work on my vids that I purchased for under $100.

#29 10 years ago

The price police say no

image.jpgimage.jpg
    #30 10 years ago

I don't see any "hype", it's a tough sell for anything these days. Like JimJim said, 99.99% of pinsiders know what's up. Actually, I'd say about 90%

#31 10 years ago
    Quoted from alexanr1:

I send private emails to these idiots with a giant LOL in the message! Sometimes I ask if they are on meth.

Damn meth dealers... find another way

#32 10 years ago

I'm going to start a WTB thread for a project TZ and see how many "investors" laugh at me. I guarantee every beat to hell game I'm offered will be over $4500.

#33 10 years ago

pinball prices are a droppin'........ arcade prices are rising big time

#34 10 years ago

fair to say things are in a holding pattern. Games are taking longer to sell. My personal opinion is alot is hinging on the success of MMr. If its a success, prices got down even more. If however its a flop, expect games like MM to go for more than they were before MMr was announced.

#35 10 years ago
    Quoted from Hobbypinball:

If however its a flop, expect games like MM to go for more than they were before MMr was announced.

It's not going to be a "flop" and games like MM, MB, CC etc…will keep dropping. Along with everything else.

After all, what goes up, can come down

#36 10 years ago

I'm not sure how it could be a flop. It will play the same, but the hardware is different which I don't see as an issue.

#37 10 years ago
    Quoted from barakawins:

Yep that's why I'm moving on to Legos , They are fun to play with and collectable .

#38 10 years ago
    Quoted from mnpinball:

+1

#39 10 years ago

Agree. Few games for sale. And not budging on price. One example: HS $1100 sitting for a month on CL:

00Y0Y_6pfRyX7dmVA_600x450.jpg00Y0Y_6pfRyX7dmVA_600x450.jpg

#40 10 years ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

Yep that's why I'm moving on to Legos , They are fun to play with and collectable .

i think pound for pound there more than my ave machine cost. lol

#41 10 years ago

But have these machines sold?

#42 10 years ago

I wish, I would buy more or less every wpc I could if this was true, but alas, I and many of my friends who are just dying to get anything, can't find a thing, and when anything pops up, it's gone as quick as it came.

Stern resale for 95% of their machines has stalled, obviously, why would it not? So many dogs, and the ones that show promise will never get finished, but every asinine price lists still shows their value to be around retail prices (I get they are routable, and thus this factors into that).

More and more people that were true supporters and just pure enthusiasts getting excited for the next title are now stepping away from buying their stuff until stern makes the decision to finish what they started and give people what they already paid for.

#43 10 years ago

I am seeing overall few machines to buy in my neck of the woods (excluding NIB). As stated in a million other threads, there is no bubble burst just a marginal correction.

#44 10 years ago

I have a standing offer of $35 for anyone who can set me up with one of these bad boys:

thepin.jpgthepin.jpg

"Pinflate" THAT

#45 10 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

But have these machines sold?

No. Here's a Maverick for $2150 that keeps getting relisted again and again. I bought one in the good (assuming roughly the same) condition in the same geographic area for $1400.00.
    cleveland.craigslist.org link

This is just one example, I could cite more. Many never list with a price drop, and either the seller is refusing offers, or is not getting any offers because they are listing so high.

#46 10 years ago

"Pinflation 101"

-Joe Blow lists his players condition "Funhouse" for $6,000
    -700 Pinsiders laugh their asses off
    -1 Pinsider buys it for $6,000
    -The new price for a players condition "Funhouse" is $6,000

#47 10 years ago

This is why it is very relevant to buy pins within the community. Non-pinheads that try to sell machines think they have some sort of golden fleece. I cannot stress this enough; it is super important to buy within the community. Five of 6 of my machines are here from Pinside, and #7 is about to be purchased this week - once again - from Pinside.

It is a massive help to join a regional club if you're fortunate enough to have one in your area. A lot of pins that get sold stay within local pinball community clubs too.

It's rare for a pinhead to sell a pin on CL. It does happen, but it is painfully rare.

#48 10 years ago

I think the prices that NIB games go for now, and what people pay for top of the line restorations, put $$ signs in the eyes of people with old beat up games. Not to mention ideas people get from salvage shows on TV.. Non-pinball people see something similar (in their mind) to what they own going for big dollars and want to cash in. That or pinball people try to use those things as a comparison selling point when dealing with uninformed buyers..

Let's be honest about what's bothering everyone here. These games are relatively scarce and there's a lot of us that really want to buy certain games, but only at a reasonable price. So it gets very frustrating when the only people selling them anywhere nearby are asking for unreasonable prices and won't budge. Yeah its annoying but what can we do besides offering a fair price and being ok with an answer of no?

#49 10 years ago
    Quoted from EricR:

I think the prices that NIB games go for now, and what people pay for top of the line restorations, put $$ signs in the eyes of people with old beat up games. Not to mention ideas people get from salvage shows on TV.. Non-pinball people see something similar (in their mind) to what they own going for big dollars and want to cash in. That or pinball people try to use those things as a comparison selling point when dealing with uninformed buyers..
    Let's be honest about what's bothering everyone here. These games are relatively scarce and there's a lot of us that really want to buy certain games, but only at a reasonable price. So it gets very frustrating when the only people selling them anywhere nearby are asking for unreasonable prices and won't budge. Yeah its annoying but what can we do besides offering a fair price and being ok with an answer of no?

WINNER! You nailed it. Well said sir.

#50 10 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

It's not going to be a "flop" and games like MM, MB, CC etc…will keep dropping. Along with everything else.
    After all, what goes up, can come down

I never said it was going to flop and personally I don't believe it will. But the customer is sometimes fickle so who knows. And if it does flop, look out on the prices of A games.

There are 83 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dont-believe-the-market-hype and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.