Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by MaxAsh
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 months ago

Working on a Doctor Who, and I've run into a strange issue. Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Current Symptoms:

- Game sometimes thinks the coin door buttons are being pressed, randomly, even in attract mode. It seems to be infrequent, sometimes it happens every few minutes, sometimes not at all for a while. If the door is closed, I get a message saying to open the coin door to use the coin door buttons. If the door is open, it will trigger the test menu.

- During gameplay, when I hit the lower right ramp and trigger Switch 37 ("Score Bottom Ramp"), the flippers will all trigger and hold for a second or so, and then return to normal. All 3 flippers do this simultaneously. Sometimes after this happens, the game also thinks someone is pressing a coin door button again as well, but not often.

MPU has no obvious corrosion issues, but I swapped it with another Doctor Who MPU from a known good game, and the same problems exist. Just in case, I replaced U19 (Quad comparator) and U20 on my MPU, no change. I unplugged J205, but the game still thought someone was occasionally pressing the coin door buttons.

Anyone have any thoughts as to what might cause this odd behavior? I've never run into this issue before. I can post a vid if it helps, just let me know.

#2 10 months ago
Quoted from MaxAsh:

- Game sometimes thinks the coin door buttons are being pressed, randomly, even in attract mode.

Check the back of them - poles or wiring shorting to metal ?

LTG : )

#3 10 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

Check the back of them - poles or wiring shorting to metal ?

If I disconnect the coin door connector from the interconnect board at the front of the cabinet, the game still thinks the buttons are being pressed, so I don't think it's the actual buttons. I do have a spare, brand new interconnect board, I can swap that in if you think it would help.

#4 10 months ago

I'd check the interconnect board for flipper dust on it conducting electricity and then the back of it for stray screws or any metal.

Then go over the wiring from there to the CPU. Look for squished wires and shorts to metal or wiring.

#5 10 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'd check the interconnect board for flipper dust on it conducting electricity and then the back of it for stray screws or any metal.
Then go over the wiring from there to the CPU. Look for squished wires and shorts to metal or wiring.

Okay, I'll go take a look at that.

Question: Wouldn't disconnecting J205 eliminate the wiring/interconnect board/coin door as the source, since the behavior occurs with that unplugged?

#6 10 months ago
Quoted from MaxAsh:

Question: Wouldn't disconnecting J205 eliminate the wiring/interconnect board/coin door as the source, since the behavior occurs with that unplugged?

You'd think so. On weird things I like to keep eliminating until I run into it. Even if doubling up.

#7 10 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

Nothing noticeable upon first inspection. For kicks I also swapped in the new coin door interface board I had on hand, no change. I also booted the game with nothing at all plugged into the coin door interface board and it still thought the coin door test/menu button was pressed.

I don't know if it matters, but the coin door interface board in the game is a -1 revision, because this is a re-import. I don't think that's an issue, but figured I'd mention it just in case.

#8 10 months ago

I wonder if you had the playfield up on wood supports and played a game. If there'd be any improvement ?

#9 10 months ago

Have you considered swapping the power board?

#10 10 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

I wonder if you had the playfield up on wood supports and played a game. If there'd be any improvement ?

I've never done that, but I could see if I can set that up to try. Could you explain in more detail what you mean, please?

Is there a chance this is a ribbon cable issue? I could swap cables with one of my other WPC games if you think it's worth trying that as well.

Quoted from DumbAss:

Have you considered swapping the power board?

The power driver board? I actually had that rebuilt because the game was having the standard WPC reboot issues. I was stopping by Allan D's place anyway, so he went over it and bulletproofed it for me.

#11 10 months ago
Quoted from MaxAsh:

Could you explain in more detail what you mean, please?

Playfield on top of side rails, not in the cabinet.

#12 10 months ago
Quoted from MaxAsh:

The power driver board? I actually had that rebuilt because the game was having the standard WPC reboot issues. I was stopping by Allan D's place anyway, so he went over it and bulletproofed it for me.

What's your definition of "bulletproofed"? Everyone's definition is likely to be different. I don't believe in "bulletproofed" boards. They can all fail at any time for any reason.

The reason why I asked (I was hoping it would get you thinking as to why I asked) is the following two data points you provided should lead to a specific conclusion:

1. Replaced CPU board with same result.
  2. Removed J205 with same result.

This leads to the conclusions that:

1. The problem is not on the CPU board.
  2. The problem is not in the playfield - and therefore is probably going to be another board. The most likely board is the power board. If the +12VR is borderline, it could generate errant switch closures in the matrix switches as well as the direct switches. They all operate in the same way when it comes to detection of closure by the hardware/software.

The above are conclusions based on your reporting. Forum readers can only make conclusions based on what you report. If you have reported something incorrectly then the conclusions will be incorrect.

#13 10 months ago

Understood, I appreciate the detailed reply. I used the generic "bulletproofed" term people toss around, but to clarify, I had the board checked by a highly respected tech that I (and many others) know well. He has both the knowledge and the actual manufacturer test equipment to go through these boards thoroughly. In this case the standard work was done to fix known issues (and potential issues). I know opinions vary on the suggested rebuild or replacing of parts on these PD Boards, but to summarize what I recall:
Voltage regulator replaced
BR1 (which was poorly replaced in the past by a previous owner) replaced
C8, C4, C2 replaced
Headers inspected, tested and replaced as needed

After that, the board was installed on a test rig and run through various tests, with no issues, restarts, etc. Voltages were checked/tested.

I actually spoke on the phone with the tech today, and shared a video of the odd behavior. He was surprised, and we discussed possible causes. Like you did above, he cited the 12V regulated as a likely culprit. He asked me to check it again on the power driver board, which I will do shortly. He also asked me to verify the wiring/connectors associated with the ramp switch, flippers, etc.

I will start by checking the 12VR at the PDB.

#14 10 months ago

Okay, so some interesting testing. Maybe this will help with diagnosis.

Note: Coin door connectors were disconnected from the coin door interface board at the time of testing.

I hooked up my meter to TP3 (12V Regulated) on the Power Driver board and powered on the game. The initial reading was 11.88, but after about 5 seconds (as the game finished booting and went into attract mode), the voltage started vacillating between 9.47 and 11.90 VDC.

Upon starting a game, the voltage immediately locked in at 11.88 VDC steady, no fluctuations.

I manually triggered Switch 37 and the meter reading immediately plummeted. Reviewing the video I made, it looks like it drops to around 6.92 to 7.01VDC and then goes back up to 11.88 steady about a second or so later. The first couple of times I hit the switch, the flippers all triggered as noted in previous posts. After several switch triggers, the flippers stopped this behavior. The +12VR voltage drop upon Switch 37 activation also changed slightly, only dropping to around 8.04VDC each time.

I proceeded to check every other accessible switch, and only one other caused the +12VR to fluctuate, switch 47. It caused the same exact drop as Switch 37, although it was not every time (probably about 75% of the time). Otherwise, the +12VR it stayed at 11.88VDC, regardless of switches triggered. I will test again to verify my findings, but wanted to report.

I noted that Switch 37 and 47 are in the same row of the matrix, although I'm not sure that matters in this case.

2 weeks later
#15 10 months ago

Disconnecting Switch 37 seems to have eliminated the voltage drop issue. The diode was removed and tested good. Ordering a new switch, and I'll continue to investigate the wiring, etc in the mean time.

#16 10 months ago

Dang... new switch didn't change anything. And even stranger, if I play with the switch disconnected, everything seems fine, but if I connect it, trigger it once (causing the voltage drop one time), then disconnect it again, the problem persists on a different (related gameplay-wise) switch. If I never trigger it, or leave it detached (thus never triggering it), it never has a problem that I can tell.

So bizarre... not sure where to go from here.

#17 10 months ago

Look at all the other switches on the same row/column

What happens when you hit switch 37 with switch test up in the service menu?

#18 10 months ago
Quoted from The_Pump_House:

Look at all the other switches on the same row/column
What happens when you hit switch 37 with switch test up in the service menu?

It only triggers Switch 37 in test. Honestly, the game does all the "normal" stuff scoring/switch wise in test and gameplay aside from this weird voltage drop and flipper triggering thing. Taking it to a local experience tech and repair guy next week to have him take a look. He's stumped as well, and intrigued.

1 week later
#19 9 months ago

I wanted to follow up and say that I believe this issue is resolved. I will perform further testing in the coming weeks, and circle back if that is incorrect.

After extensive general testing with a very experienced technician, it was noted that the feature lamps were significantly dimmer than expected during the all lamp test. When the connectors for the playfield inserts were disconnected from the power driver board and the game was booted up, the regulated 12v fluctuations disappeared.

After going through and looking for things like shorts, grounds, wiring issues, etc., we went back to the beginning and started with the incoming voltage from the transformer. Working our way from there, we checked the 18 volts source incoming at the power driver board. When we had the board on the Williams test bench, and the oscilloscope hooked up, the display suddenly showed what appeared to be AC instead of DC. Manual pressure and manipulation of the associated components caused things to return to normal briefly. That obviously seemed strange, and after some quick checking it was determined that one of the large capacitors and associated bridge rectifier were likely the issue. The components themselves were fine, but someone in the past had removed them, and in the process accidentally removed several through-holes on the board. Following the repairs to correct that issue, and reinstall of the capacitor/bridge rectifier, the 18V incoming was corrected, and subsequent downstream regulated 12v became rock solid.

TLDR/Short Version - If my understanding is correct, the incoming 18V was not being properly handled due to damaged through holes on the capacitors and bridge rectifier associated with the process of supplying regulated 12V. Because of this, the draw from things like the feature lamps would pull the 12V down too far (below the 5V), fooling things like the MPU comparators into seeing what they thought were closed switches, thus triggering items like the flippers.

Hopefully that makes sense, it was the first time I ever seen an issue like this.

#20 9 months ago

Thank you for the follow up here.

"To really mess things up requires a technician"

Seems to be the case here.

Good troubleshooting, and I'm glad that you had access to an experienced tech to help you.

#21 9 months ago
Quoted from PinRetail:

Thank you for the follow up here.
"To really mess things up requires a technician"
Seems to be the case here.
Good troubleshooting, and I'm glad that you had access to an experienced tech to help you.

What's interesting is that the most likely reason the issue existed is because someone in the past followed one of the guides to "replace all the 15,000 uf caps" to try and fix reset issues. The caps themselves were not the issue, the person that removed them previously did so poorly, damaging the board/through holes.

As for requiring a technician, I'm actually a tech at an arcade with hundreds of pins and games, but it's great to have access to someone with even more knowledge and experience, plus better tools and test rigs. I love going there and being able to plug boards right into the Williams, Bally, etc original text rigs. So much fun, and educational. I learn more every time I visit him. He had fun as well, because this was something new he'd never seen. It's the mysteries and solving them that often drive us!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Johnson City, TN
3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

£ 110.00
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/doctor-who-strange-switch-flipper-behavior and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.