(Topic ID: 62176)

Do you think Star Trek will be a better game than Predator?

By rai

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 45 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by crlush
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What do you think?”

• Star Strek (Steve 'the king' Ritchie) 61 votes
    64%
  • Predator (Get to the Choppa!) 35 votes
    36%

(96 votes)

#1 10 years ago

I know this is a weird speculative type question, but bear with me.

Speculation is Stevie Ritchie to design Star Trek for Stern.

Steve Ritchie, has made: STTNG, ACDC, Spider Man, T2 etc..

Of course this does not mean every game he makes will be great, but he does have some of the better games under his belt.

Predator is what it is. It has some cool features such as user log-in, multi tier rules, UV light effect etc.. and we love the 'Rocky story' (underdog stands toe to toe with the champ).. I have to wonder how much of Predator is 'feel good' (let's hope it is good). I am not sure anyone thinks Predator will be on par or better than games such as SM, ACDC, TRON, etc..

Again, of course we know less than zero about Star Trek, except it's theme and that it will be a Stern game which means, probably a lot of stock components, probably movie clips like Tron, probably some homage to STTNG (?) whatever.

But if you were allocating some money or betting on one game or the other what would you think is going to be better?

#2 10 years ago

I would consider narrowing the comparison some to the price points. Consider comparing the Predator game with the Star Trek Pro that will be coming as they will be at similar price points. ST LE is going to be over 7k shipped.

Obviously, the jury is going to be out on both games till we receive more information on each.

#3 10 years ago

Yes, I was considering to say ST pro, consider I would assume ST pro to be the lesser version of ST if you want to just think of this poll solely as the ST pro that's probably fair. I would assume the ST pro to be close or a bit cheaper than a Predator LE.

#4 10 years ago

Yes.

LTG : )

#5 10 years ago

I didn't vote because I don't think SR has anything to do with this. I think any major company that makes a game will be better than a home brew.
But I'm obviously hoping both are fantastic.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Yes.
LTG : )

i agree with LTG.
stern is a well oiled machine, resources and peoples.
like it or not it's steve's game.

don't get me wrong, i hope the predator is a hit and a lot of succes to the guys but there's no competition here, sorry. you cannot compare orange with apples

#7 10 years ago

While I have no idea if a couple of dudes in a basement can whoop up on the establishment I do know this:
The stern product, while solid, is not that freaking awesome. There is nothing technologically speaking or artistically that could not be duplicated or exceeded.

We are not talking an upstart car company taking on General Motors here.

So since Skit-B has no track record for building, programming etc. Yes getting in on the predator is a gamble, if the game sux. But if it plays well and the quality is there, It will be an awesome part of a players collection.

For 5 gees, I'll take that pre order bet. Would not for 7 plus though.

#8 10 years ago

The real question is will the 2013 Star Trek be better than 1993 STTNG

#9 10 years ago

Crazy thread Rai.
No way is Predator in the same league. But if you love the theme that trumps a lot .
Love Predator then get one otherwise Ritchie will make a better game taking theme away .

#10 10 years ago

My husband make me watch Wrath of Khan before watching Into Darkness. I could really care less about Star Trek in general, but would rather watch the new guys than Shatner. But then 2/3rds of the way through the new movie I had severe movie storyline deja vu so bad it wasnt even funny. Husband immediately proclaimed the movie crap and literally said "Now I wouldnt even want the new Star Trek pinball." In addition, I have a feeling that I would not be able to get a Predator at all in the future if they do indeed do well, based sheerly on production numbers. And I am middle of the pack, so I have lots of time to see actual player reviews before my money is due. If it just totally sucks for some reason, I can always drop off and get a Star Trek later. (But would probably get a STTNG honestly, if going the ST route.)

#13 10 years ago

Is this a serious question?

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

Is this a serious question?

Pinside...the amazement that keeps on amazing.

#15 10 years ago

No chance in hell that Predator will be even close...have you seen it in person or played it? I have...enough said...I wish them luck...but this is no contest.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

No chance in hell that Predator will be even close...have you seen it in person or played it? I have...enough said...I wish them luck...but this is no contest.

In appr 6 weeks The world will know if your statement hold water. Or at least my world will. Chicago Expo!

One cant make judgements on prototypes.

#17 10 years ago

all pinball, all good.

#18 10 years ago

My money is on the Predator. If Star Trek is good I will get one down the road.

#19 10 years ago

I voted for Star Trek.

That said, I think the Predator game has a really good chance to be something very different and special. It is an exceedingly limited run and a lot of people will never see one. It has young guys that are big players and fans of pinball and I think they will design a game that feels a bit different from the Sterns.

Predator will be deep and filled with Easter eggs. The Predator license will be more pliable than Star Trek (the IP is old and I am assuming will be easier to work with).

#20 10 years ago

Also, Predator has a full R rated theme . . . the adult nature of the game gives it a little something to in my book.

#21 10 years ago

ST by a nose.....

#22 10 years ago

How can anyone vote on this? Anyone seen the new ST? or played it yet? I tell you what Stern also made Transformers and X-men, I would put Predator vote against either of those two and see what happens.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from maddog14:

In appr 6 weeks The world will know if your statement hold water. Or at least my world will. Chicago Expo!
One cant make judgements on prototypes.

This is true, my thoughts are only a guess, as neither game is done. But I'll take the guys who have been making pins for MANY years, over the basement dudes

I do hope Predator kicks ass in the end...don't get me wrong

#24 10 years ago

Predator. Look at all the new things and tacking of records etc they are bringing to the game. Wish others would catch on and start doing this. Too bad I'll probably never get the opportunity to play one. I wish all new games made were available to play instead of searching for them.

#25 10 years ago

First thing... Trekkie's will take over the world and resistance is futile. lol

But, lets face it. Richie loves Star Trek, understands the power of the cult-following. He will destroy any doubt and deliver excellence. This pin in my opinion will bring fans and non fans of pinball or Star Trek back at Warp 10 where we will move so fast we will be everywhere and everyplace in the universe at the same time. Just as Tom Paris did. But without the Genetically Evolutionary side-effects. However, I also LOVE Predator. So I am very excited for it and hope it turns out better than WoZ.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

How can anyone vote on this? Anyone seen the new ST? or played it yet? I tell you what Stern also made Transformers and X-men, I would put Predator vote against either of those two and see what happens.

Agreed. Can't vote. One completely unknown pin against a prototype. You are comparing a boutique pin against a well established factory. A poll comparing Predator to America's most haunted, Nemo or Wrath of Olympus would make more sense to me.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

Yep, that is the real question.

#28 10 years ago

Star Trek all the way
Carnt wait to see the pics

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

Put them both together get a ton of people to play both non pinheads and pinheads and let them decide

#30 10 years ago

ST is going to be wicked. Stern just did a fan layout. ST is going to be innovative withmore than 2 flippers and their games have been very good of late.

#31 10 years ago

I'm gonna have to wait and play them I have no idea right now which will draw me in more. No preconceptions but really hope things work out and I get a chance to play them side by side in the collection. Crossing my fingers that both are epic pins.

#32 10 years ago

Its hard to say how good or bad ST will be, could it be worse than Transformers, Avengers, Avatar? Those are recent Stern games based on movies. But you have SM and Tron on the better side so I believe ST will be somewhere in this Transformers----SM in that range, I would have a hard time believing it would be worse than Avengers/XM/Avatar not saying those are bad pins, just putting a floor on my expectations.

I don't have any floor for Predator pin.

Predator, is made on a smaller budget, but there are many examples of some things made on a small budget that turn out well.

If you think only Hollywood spending millions can make a great movie...lets see 'Daredevil' had $78m budget. 'John Carter' cost $250m.

'Mad Max' $350K
'Halloween' $325K
'Rocky' $1m
'Reservoir Dogs' $1.2m

#33 10 years ago

Given the overall reaction concerning ST, this is probably bad news for those on the Predator waiting list: I don't expect many of us dropping from the main list to buy ST based on what we have seen so far (doesn't mean ST will be a bad game with a wide variety of shots and 3 flippers).

#34 10 years ago

I wonder what it would look like if we redid the poll now....

#35 10 years ago

I actually did a screen copy of the poll. 69% for ST (44 vs 20 votes). Let's see if the ratio changes...

#36 10 years ago

It should be, would you like to have a stern star trek, or....

a predator, a sttng and some cash.

#38 10 years ago

Predator design looks like a 90's Gottlieb.

#39 10 years ago

Predator got Arnolds voice... thats enough for me

#40 10 years ago

Now that I have seen ST its a flip.. Arnies voice will create far more interaction.. Oh yeah and its a shitload cheaper

#41 10 years ago

Fak u as-hoel

#42 10 years ago

Will this thread win for the stupidest poll on pinside?

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from RGR:

Now we know NO!

#44 10 years ago

Yes, ST will be better.

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from DEN:

Fak u as-hoel

Hehe, is that how Arnold would spell it?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 24.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Marshfield, MO
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monument, CO
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

arcade-cabinets.com

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-you-think-star-trek-will-be-a-better-game-than-predator and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.