(Topic ID: 75135)

Can you name any games with borrowed playfield layouts/toys?

By mof

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 77 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by mof
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Rollergames is Highspeed phoned in.png
sat 1.jpg
spy 1.jpg
image-17.jpg
image-3.jpg
sharp1.jpg
Skyjump10.jpg
funjurassic.jpg
solarlizard.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mof.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

5000+ designs later, it's gotta be tough to come up with an original playfield layout. It's such a small space to design for. You need a device to shoot the ball, the ball needs to drain somewhere, and you gotta have something cool to hit.

Have you ever spotted a copy or 'near copy' of another PF layout?

Today, I was browsing a few PF layouts on ipdb, and I came across a layout that looks almost identical to the layout of my favorite pin! I was very surprised. Start with games in your collection, and see if you can figure out what inspired them.

1) If you can think of a game that borrows its layout from another pin, then name it. Let's figure it should have an 80%+ match to another layout (Sometimes there are ramps instead of orbits for example.)
2) If you know of a toy or gimmick that is was borrowed from another game, name it.
3) Use some sort of wording or symbol to show that one game leads to the next game, such as A --> B (A leads to B) -- so newer members don't have to look up release years after reading your post.
4*) You get bonus points if you take an extra 5 minutes to grab the operator manuals (or ipdb playfield pics), and take screen captures of the two playfields you think are so very alike, and post them, so your viewers can see your point better.

It would be very cool, if when the thread is over, we can find a few games that are NOT mentioned at all. Those would be games that possibly have very original designs. Likely we'll find many? I don't think so...

I'll name a few to get started. But first, here's a good post to help jar your memory to check on some "Firsts"
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsiders-christmas-quiz-on-pinball-history

have fun!
-mof

#3 10 years ago

Diner borrows it's PF layout from Taxi and Blackout.

(Blackout + Taxi) -> Diner

Whirlwind borrowed spinning discs from Fireball

Fireball -> Whirlwind

-mof

1 week later
#48 10 years ago

Where can I find an operator's manual for Tron to review the playfield?
-mof

#49 10 years ago

Did Whirlwind borrow it's upper flipper jackpot shot from any game?
-mof

#58 10 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

XMEN as a reverse layout of Tron.

I'm looking at Xmen now. To me it looks like an easier version of Whirlwind without spinning discs, and without a right ramp ball return that drains often. Which is basically -- reverse FH. Does that make it more reverse FH than Whirlwind?
-mof

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=5824&picno=55817
http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2765&picno=3170

#59 10 years ago

I've been examining the PF designs for Whirlwind and FH, and there are some similarities, but I couldn't put it in the 80%+ copy bucket. I think when comparing a newer game to Whirlwind or FH, it's important to pick the right one, and stick to your guns.

FH has:
* two high value shots from upper flipper
* no spinning discs
* a talking head
* a variable trap door in one of the two high value shots from upper flipper
* two plungers
* only one cellar in the lower PF
* An important 12 o clock shot (top middle) that allows the ball to be a "Set up shot", and Whirlwind only has one set up shot of the outer orbit.
* Different skill shot
* No pops center top of PF
* right side has two inlanes
* no centerpost

I'd call this an "influence" not a PF "copy"...

What about Earthshaker? Is Whirlwind a copy of Earthshaker, or just another influenced design?

-mof

#60 10 years ago

Quick question: I want to review the progression of 3-flipper games like we often see with Lawlor games. Do they start with Flash?

-mof

#63 10 years ago

Right, but I'm wondering what was the first 3-flipper game with a nice ramp/upper orbit shot -- was it Flash?
-mof

#67 10 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

Ah - I get your question now.
One of the earliest three flipper SS games was Joker Poker though the upper flipper was more for getting the drops.
Nugent also had a third flipper but again not for an orbit shot.
Flash and Skateball were some of the earliest three flipper games with upper orbit shots.
There were also four flipper games before Flash and Skateball but not sure you care about those - or EM...
viperrwk

Thanks -- sounds like a resounding YES !

I didn't realize Flash was so important to the evolution of the modern PF, very good to know!
-mof

#69 10 years ago

I'm thinking about the evolution of the 3rd flipper upper orbit setup shot for the jackpot shot (like in Whirlwind)

Flash ->* High Speed -> Whirlwind

*Fathom has a nice 3rd flipper, but it has a less-flowy set up shot where you knock down all the inlane targets THEN that area becomes a setup for the 3rd flipper. Not sure I'd call it an evolutionary step, it's more of a parallel path in a different direction (just a different kind of set up)

Does that evolution look correct to you?
-mof

#73 10 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

Which also looks exactly like Gorgar.

Wait -- what looks exactly like a Gorgar???
-mof

#74 10 years ago

Where can I download an operator's manual for Metallica, to observe the playfield layout?
-mof

1 week later
#77 10 years ago

Highspeed -> Rollergames
-mof

Rollergames is Highspeed phoned in.pngRollergames is Highspeed phoned in.png

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 64.99
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Atlanta, GA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

5,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Walton, KY
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Nashua, NH
$ 12.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Phoenix, AZ
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mof.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/do-designers-ever-borrow-ideas-from-other-designers?tu=mof and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.