(Topic ID: 15325)

DM Opinions?

By RDReynolds

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jediturtle.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#18 12 years ago

I just picked one up recently and I gotta say, I love it more than I thought I would. The flow is second to none. Nordman really hit it out of the park with this layout. If it would have a popular theme and deeper/better ruleset, I bet this would be right at the top of the A-list food chain.

As for the artwork, it has honestly grown on me. Alot. The only thing that really bugs me is how one of Sandra Bullock's eyes is lower than the other, making her face look distorted. Other than that, it's not bad at all. I like the colors and lines of the playfield artwork quite a bit. Is it a CV level masterpiece...heck no. But it's not as bad as most make it out to be.

The theme I can see being hit or miss. When I bought it I hadn't seen the movie, but the sounds and speech was pretty cool. Now after seeing the movie I can say the theme is very well integrated and being familiar with the story and characters adds a lot to the enjoyment. If you haven't seen the movie, check it out. WAY better than I was anticipating. Sure, it's brainless, but it's a ton of fun. '90s cheese action at its best!

The rules...unfortunately not as good as they could be. BUT...everything there is FUN and there is actually plenty to do. I am the opposite of Goatdan in that I am not a points player. I play for the fun of batting the ball around, the enjoyment of seeing the different goals, and ultimately to try to reach the wizard mode. That's not just for DM, but for all games for me. Sure, I love getting a high score, but get more enjoyment out of reaching goals. So for me, dropping the ball into the Lock Freeze hole every time isn't even on my radar. I pretend there is a rule that you can't hit any of the claw modes more than once and it works out great (too bad this isn't an actual rule!). The other modes are just too fun to ignore. I mean come on...there's a mode where the whole goal is to blow crap up...including a cow (as an easter egg), how can you not love that! The multiball modes are also very fun and have good diversity from what I've seen so far.

As for the handles...try them, you might like them. I find the handles really set the game apart and add a coolness factor. You kind of feel like a badass playing with them. Plus there are tons of little easter eggs you can only get while using them and pushing the buttons at the right times. Nice little bonus.

The music is phenomenal. It's varied by mode and really sucks you into the action. Sounds and speech are also great with some pretty hilarious call-outs that always fit what you are doing. I can't wait to try hooking a sub up to this one...I bet it will be awesome. The light show is also really, really cool...especially at the start of some of the modes. Great stuff.

Plus there's a captive "eyeball". How can you not like that?

If you can get it for a good price, give it a shot. If you don't like it I'm sure you will have no problem moving it along. They never seem to last long if priced right. I also think more people are learning to either look past weak themes, or accept them for what they are, so games like this are starting to creep up in price.

#20 12 years ago
    Quoted from jk2171:

Jediturtle said:

The music is phenomenal. It's varied by mode and really sucks you into the action. Sounds and speech are also great with some pretty hilarious call-outs that always fit what you are doing. I can't wait to try hooking a sub up to this one...I bet it will be awesome.
    Have to agree on the sound/speech. Really great. I love it when you get halfway up a ramp on a shot, and it starts to roll back down and Stallone says "Uh oh".

Yup...that's one of my favorites. There are a lot of little touches like that which really make the game for me. I love the easter egg with the "You look great!" quote where if you hit the buttons it will reply "I feel great!". Snipes has some hilarious quotes too...such a great, over the top character in the movie that comes through in the pin. His "ooh ahh" sounds during super pops mode get me every time.

Be well!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jediturtle.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dm-opinions?tu=jediturtle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.