(Topic ID: 15325)

DM Opinions?

By RDReynolds

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

I've never played this one, but a friend has one for sale...opinions on it?

#2 11 years ago

Great flow, one of my favorites.

#3 11 years ago

Personally i think it's very ugly, and then some more ugly. People seem to like it though.

#4 11 years ago

People bash the artwork all day long... but it plays great, it has consistent flow and an interesting combination of ramps and wireform. Great bang for the buck title. I personally stick with the tradition flipper buttons on the side rather than the handles/triggers. What do you guys like better?

#5 11 years ago

That's one of the big turn offs for me are the handles things. Can you take them off easy?

#6 11 years ago

RDReynolds , Don't Listen to thelaw ,,, DM has Alot of shot's , Combined Multi-ball modes , The Claw is cool , ( All Toy's Are ) The Trigger handles are my Favorite.. Get you a DM and Try it 4-Yr Self.. Led it too . Here's a Video of Mine !! It's in my Gameroom Garage !! I've Owned DM 3-Times now ,, and If i sell this 1 , I will Own it again ..

lOOk thru this Link , see Work in Progress on DM ,, It's was Completed last-week .. Good Luck !!

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/demolition-man-in-leds-b_r-s

#7 11 years ago

I've said this before, and people have misunderstood me, so disclaimer: I own one, and have no plans to sell it. I play it often.

Okay, having said that... the game has great shots and flow, and a really neat layout. Ramps everywhere. I like the playfield art package quite a bit. But man, the ruleset on it...

The claw toy in the back left is pointless if you are playing for points. Here is your strategy for the Cyro Claw if you want big points -- Lock Freeze, then Lock Freeze, then Lock Freeze, then Lock Freeze, etc. Beyond that and comboing the ramps, there really isn't anything else to do on the machine that is worthwhile. You can hit the Car Crash for fun, and if you hit it squarely you'll be rewarded with about the same number of points as a combo shot and a SDTM drain. You can shoot for the eye ball and get some minor rewards there too, not worth it for the risk involved.

Having said that, the game is so fun to shoot, it overrides the faults somehow in my mind. I play for points and only points, I don't care about Wizard modes unless they are going to give me bigger points for my game, but I can stand and play Demo Man for a long time and decide "okay, this time I'm going for the Wizard mode". I think it is because the flow is there, hitting the ramps in combo order feels so nice I don't really care about the score.

I can see so many flaws in it (oh, and the theme SUCKS), yet the intangibles keep me coming back for more and more, and the game ain't going anywhere. Oh, and whomever doesn't like the handles, you could take them off I suppose, but I'd suggest leaving them there and trying it with them. They make it way easier to nudge with, and become pretty easy to use pretty quickly. Also, you can still use the regular flipper buttons if you so choose

#8 11 years ago

Just got mine back from a mate's, can't stop playing it, love the handles,swear rom's are on the way,
    Go to your mate's and put at least 50 games on it,the more you play the better it gets (well for me)

#9 11 years ago

as most everyone knows, DM is my favorite pin..i would own another without thinking twice about it. Its hard to beat for the price

#10 11 years ago

To each his own, but to me DM is a really fun game. I would go for it! The sound package is really great and very fun to shoot, great flow, multiball modes, etc. I got it in a package deal and wasn't looking for DM at all but now I would not get rid of it.
    BR is right about LED's on this one, they make a world of difference.

#11 11 years ago

Art work sucks, but game play is top notch............Best bang for your buck, get it and thank us later.

#12 11 years ago

DM is a great game, with lots of flow and LEDs just make the pin better.

#13 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

That's one of the big turn offs for me are the handles things. Can you take them off easy?

Actually you can. And you don't need to use them. But it's a lot of fun. Really great flow and lots of combos.

#14 11 years ago

DM was my first DMD pin and I loved it and regret having to let it go. Here is another good video from PAPA showing the game play or flow.

http://vimeo.com/33606800

#15 11 years ago

I just got mine about 10 days ago...never played it before in my life before I got it. I absolutely love it! Lots of really good feeling shots, great callouts by Stallone and Snipes (not just stuff from the movie), and the handles and claw are cool bonuses. I'd grab it if you can get it!

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Art work sucks, but game play is top notch............Best bang for your buck, get it and thank us later.

That about sums it up, so ugly it's beautiful! An absolute blast to play. "Send a maniac to catch a maniac" Classic Stallone callouts!

#17 11 years ago

Do a search, opinion threads on DM come up at least once a month.

#18 11 years ago

I just picked one up recently and I gotta say, I love it more than I thought I would. The flow is second to none. Nordman really hit it out of the park with this layout. If it would have a popular theme and deeper/better ruleset, I bet this would be right at the top of the A-list food chain.

As for the artwork, it has honestly grown on me. Alot. The only thing that really bugs me is how one of Sandra Bullock's eyes is lower than the other, making her face look distorted. Other than that, it's not bad at all. I like the colors and lines of the playfield artwork quite a bit. Is it a CV level masterpiece...heck no. But it's not as bad as most make it out to be.

The theme I can see being hit or miss. When I bought it I hadn't seen the movie, but the sounds and speech was pretty cool. Now after seeing the movie I can say the theme is very well integrated and being familiar with the story and characters adds a lot to the enjoyment. If you haven't seen the movie, check it out. WAY better than I was anticipating. Sure, it's brainless, but it's a ton of fun. '90s cheese action at its best!

The rules...unfortunately not as good as they could be. BUT...everything there is FUN and there is actually plenty to do. I am the opposite of Goatdan in that I am not a points player. I play for the fun of batting the ball around, the enjoyment of seeing the different goals, and ultimately to try to reach the wizard mode. That's not just for DM, but for all games for me. Sure, I love getting a high score, but get more enjoyment out of reaching goals. So for me, dropping the ball into the Lock Freeze hole every time isn't even on my radar. I pretend there is a rule that you can't hit any of the claw modes more than once and it works out great (too bad this isn't an actual rule!). The other modes are just too fun to ignore. I mean come on...there's a mode where the whole goal is to blow crap up...including a cow (as an easter egg), how can you not love that! The multiball modes are also very fun and have good diversity from what I've seen so far.

As for the handles...try them, you might like them. I find the handles really set the game apart and add a coolness factor. You kind of feel like a badass playing with them. Plus there are tons of little easter eggs you can only get while using them and pushing the buttons at the right times. Nice little bonus.

The music is phenomenal. It's varied by mode and really sucks you into the action. Sounds and speech are also great with some pretty hilarious call-outs that always fit what you are doing. I can't wait to try hooking a sub up to this one...I bet it will be awesome. The light show is also really, really cool...especially at the start of some of the modes. Great stuff.

Plus there's a captive "eyeball". How can you not like that?

If you can get it for a good price, give it a shot. If you don't like it I'm sure you will have no problem moving it along. They never seem to last long if priced right. I also think more people are learning to either look past weak themes, or accept them for what they are, so games like this are starting to creep up in price.

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from Jediturtle:

The music is phenomenal. It's varied by mode and really sucks you into the action. Sounds and speech are also great with some pretty hilarious call-outs that always fit what you are doing. I can't wait to try hooking a sub up to this one...I bet it will be awesome.

Have to agree on the sound/speech. Really great. I love it when you get halfway up a ramp on a shot, and it starts to roll back down and Stallone says "Uh oh".

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from jk2171:

Jediturtle said:

The music is phenomenal. It's varied by mode and really sucks you into the action. Sounds and speech are also great with some pretty hilarious call-outs that always fit what you are doing. I can't wait to try hooking a sub up to this one...I bet it will be awesome.
    Have to agree on the sound/speech. Really great. I love it when you get halfway up a ramp on a shot, and it starts to roll back down and Stallone says "Uh oh".

Yup...that's one of my favorites. There are a lot of little touches like that which really make the game for me. I love the easter egg with the "You look great!" quote where if you hit the buttons it will reply "I feel great!". Snipes has some hilarious quotes too...such a great, over the top character in the movie that comes through in the pin. His "ooh ahh" sounds during super pops mode get me every time.

Be well!

#21 11 years ago

I have had the game ten times; and the flow on the game is just killer. One of my all time favs
    derek
    ps actually I never really though about it, but it was one of the only widebodies that actually has flow to it

#22 11 years ago

Rules aren't good? How many here have hit the Demotime Jackpot?

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from Jediturtle:

I pretend there is a rule that you can't hit any of the claw modes more than once and it works out great (too bad this isn't an actual rule!).

Honestly, that ONE tweak and this game would be nearly perfect. I can't believe no one ever hacked the rules to do it. The problem that I've got is one Jackpot shot is often worth an entire other mode... but those modes are great and you should have a reason to play them. Allowing you to only play modes you haven't played already would actually make the claw somewhat of a challenge, whereas now a missed shot automatically gives you something else.

Someone hack the rom and make it do this I don't need P-Roc, I just need one tiny rule fixed.

#24 11 years ago

Really great flow. Some games I play for points and go for all the multiballs, others I just try to see how many combos I can get

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

I've got 600 some Mil- on Demolition Tyme , Not Sure if I got the JackPot , but it was A CraZZy multiball mode .. Very Very under-rated PIN ...

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

Like previously stated if you continually lock a ball when you hit the claw (and it's the only thing
    worth doing points-wise), it is quite easy to get threw the multiballs. Getting the Demolition Jackpot
    is easy, one shot to the right ramp after all balls drain on the the 4th multiball. Using this strategy,
    I've gone threw the multiballs almost 4 times in one game and collected the Demolition Jackpot 2
    or 3 times.

Don't get me wrong the flow of the game is fantastic, especially for a widebody, but man does the
    software really let the game down.

#27 11 years ago

I dig it, Nordman game, good bang for buck, so far my deal is for one @ $1100

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from musketd:

I have had the game ten times; and the flow on the game is just killer. One of my all time favs
    derek
    ps actually I never really though about it, but it was one of the only widebodies that actually has flow to it

Except sttng, (done by Steve Ritchie aka "the king of flow") with two flowing ramps, an upper ramp shot that flows back to the right flipper, flowing left orbit shot... Unless you suck and miss all your shots, sttng has some of the best flow in pinball.

I agree the flow in demo man is great though. So are the combos.

#29 11 years ago

haters are going to hate. i have players that ONLY play this machine...over my tron machine. lmao

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dm-opinions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.