(Topic ID: 346610)

Demolition Man, Johnny Mnemonic...or both?

By Merendino

5 months ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by sunnRAT
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Demolition Man, Johnny Mnemonic...or both?”

• Heroin Dolphin all the way! 7 votes
    35%
  • Be Well! 3 votes
    15%
  • I'll take them both on, I'm hardcore! 10 votes
    50%

(20 votes)

#1 5 months ago

I've previously owned a Johnny Mnemonic and loved it. My only gripe was the maintenance/eventual failure of the glove mech.

Since parting ways with it I have picked up a Demolition Man. I know they aren't very similar at all but it's tough for me not to compare the two of them.

Which game do you feel is best and why? Would owning both side by side be too repetitive?

#2 5 months ago

I've had and enjoy both. I ended up selling Johnny just because the spinner rules were a bit too unbalanced and I needed room, but I still look forward to playing it when I visit

#3 5 months ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I've had and enjoy both. I ended up selling Johnny just because the spinner rules were a bit too unbalanced and I needed room, but I still look forward to playing it when I visit

Yeah, there is THAT. You can't fix unbalanced rules unless you take the route of disabling/removing the spinner entirely.

#4 5 months ago

I'd get both I've owned them for over six years now and still enjoy them a lot.

#5 5 months ago

JM is a lot more fun and a way better layout IMO, never really cared for DM, the left side of the playfield is pretty meh. JM has the killer speed and ramp combos. If the glove is rebuilt you should be good to go.

#6 5 months ago
Quoted from Merendino:

Yeah, there is THAT. You can't fix unbalanced rules unless you take the route of disabling/removing the spinner entirely.

Isn't there an updated rom to balance the spinner scoring?

#7 5 months ago

I much prefer JM. A dialed in Johnny is lightning fast. That speed for me never gets old. I also love the stratagy of the grid, getting power items from crazy bob's, yakuza strike and the awesome power down. For me its George Gomez's best game.

I reciently sold my DM. I like the handles and is fun to shoot. The upper flipper ramp shot is great as are many of the callouts. The code could be much better. The left side of the playfield is not worth shooting. Retina scan captive shot does not feel right / too light. The multiballs feel too similar. The dmd animations are limited. Art package is poor.

#8 5 months ago

My trinity is JM, DM, and The Shadow. So, yes, please get both

#9 5 months ago

I've always liked using the handles on Demo Man. I like the focus on combo shots and extra flipper games are always a plus for me. It certainly does feel like you're only getting 2/3rds of a layout, however.

Johnny is fast and I like the glove/matrix features. Shot wise I feel the game is limited (way more targets in Demo) although the ramps and orbits are great, just not much else to shoot for and I can get those similar shots in many other games.

I give a slight edge to Demo for the handles and the 3rd flipper/ramp combos. Johnny has less shots, but I favor the glove over the cryo claw and it's the better looking of the two games. Last Johnny I had I shopped it out and cleaning/maintaining the glove mechanism isn't as bad as one would think.

Both games have come and gone. But at the right price you cant go wrong with either one, especially if you favor 90s Williams. I'd say try to get both.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 150.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 29.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Merritt Island, FL
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 81.95
$ 22.50
$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monroe Township, NJ
Machine - For Sale
Oakley, CA
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
Lighting - Interactive
86Pixels

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/demolition-man-johnny-mnemonicor-both and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.