IMG_5804 (resized).jpeg
94AE701C-5518-43C4-B52F-8FC03767E098 (resized).jpeg
D56D8EA3-8EBB-449F-BA0A-BC3FD0272195 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20230115_032422706 (resized).jpg
60E92D30-2687-480A-8242-068D65E0BECF (resized).jpeg
AC7026D1-8CF7-437D-9EA8-3AF740FF4B35 (resized).jpeg
5FCF262D-EAD5-4053-936A-F209742EF41B (resized).jpeg
AD2D171F-D9C6-4FF5-9B1B-D7974CEECC7A (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MoSeS_1592.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#355 6 years ago

Just curious, would an old ATX power supply from a desktop computer work in this application? Has well regulated 5V and 12V DC. I'm having this same issue in my LW3. The hum was always there but tolerable. I just recently swapped out my old failing power supply with a new Rottendog and now the hum is really bad for some reason.

*** Nevermind! I just noticed this was addressed like ten times already. Gonna give it a shot.

#356 6 years ago

Just to be clear with using an ATX PC power supply for the sound board: aside from plugging in the power supply to a 110AC source and jumping the supply to keep it always ON (which I am aware of how to do), all I would need to do is remove the CN2 sound board connector and connect my sound board's power input to the 5+, 12+, 12-, and GND to the ATX supply wires . It's as simple as that, correct?

Also, why is there a 12+ and 12- but only a 5+? I was always under the impression that with DC current you have a positive supply line and negative was essentially ground. So on a voltmeter, to check voltage would you connect 5+ and GND to check the 5V line, and 12+ to 12- to check the 12V line?

#358 6 years ago

thanks for the info!

#359 6 years ago

One more question, just out of curiosity are any one of those three lines (5+, 12+, 21-) most likely to cause noise/hum if the supply is dirty? If, for example, it was most likely the 5+ line, then in theory could you use a regulated switching 'wall-wart' 5v, 2-amp power supply and connect it's + to the sound board's 5+ and the wall-wart's negative to ground, while leaving the rest of the sound board's 12+ and 12- and GND pin connected to the DE power supply board?

#360 6 years ago

Yet another question Is 22 gauge wire sufficient to run from an ATX supply in the cab up to the sound board?

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#363 6 years ago

To anyone interested I did the ATX pc power supply mod (hack).... WOW! So silent in attract mode you could hear a pin drop from a mile away . Seriously, ZERO hum, and sound is crisper and bass seems to be more pronounced. Just beautiful.

1 year later
#446 5 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

You could, but the power supply would be on all the time, the service plug has constant power and is not switched on and off with the game power switch.

I know a lot of people would frown upon this but I ended up rewiring my cab so the power switch under the cab turned the service outlet off and on. I used an ATX power supply for my sound board that draws power from the service outlet, as well as some additional lighting I added to the machine that use switching DC power supplies that plug into a standard AC outlet.

1 year later
#539 3 years ago

Not to sound like a broken record because this was said before (but lost in the abyss of 500+ previous posts) but the easiest solution seems to be a standalone power supply for the soundboard. Inexpensive and pretty easy to install and cuts out the hum entirely. It did for me anyways.

#545 3 years ago
Quoted from crassmage:

Is there a suggestion or a link for the power supply? What else is needed? My tftc is quite noisey. Thanks in advance

There were a few links posted miles ago in this thread to power supplies (available on ebay/amazon) that supposedly worked. I used an ATX power supply from an old desktop computer that I had lying around and it worked perfectly. My hum was originally bad, but tolerable as long as there was some other miscellaneous ambient noise in the room. After switching to a Rottendog power supply the freaking hum could be heard from across the street. I used the ATX power supply for the sound and now its silent. I rewired my service outlet so it no longer bypasses the ON/OFF switch under the cab and plugged my ATX into it.

This is probably unrelated but I had horrible hum on a Space Shuttle I picked up last year. Everything worked for the most part except for a faulty wire harness to the display logic. I attributed the hum to worn out caps. I had to remove the MPU/Driver board to replace a bad header pin connector. This required removing every wire harness from the MPU/Driver board. I cleaned all the male header pins with electronics cleaner before plugging the wire harnesses back in. After this the speaker hum vanished. So whatever was causing the hum was apparently from poor wire connectivity, probably from the PF lamps, since the humming would strobe and oscillate in lockstep with the playfield lighting sequence. Lesson here is you may want to check quality of the header pins and wire harnesses elsewhere on the MPU board, displays, etc, in places that would be seemingly unrelated to sound/speakers.

8 months later
#609 3 years ago
Quoted from Asanteiro:

I think I have the typical DMD attraction mode noise and above this noise I have a coupling sound, a lot of interference.
At times I only hear the noise of the speakers and at times interference. Loud noises. I don't know what to play anymore.
How can it be that one can't solve this....

This is old news for this thread but you could always default to a standalone power supply. I used an ATX power supply out of an old desktop computer to power my soundboard and it is literally dead silent, not a peep. The only noise is the quiet hum of the cooling fan coming from the cab, but even in a completely silent room it is only noticeable if you are intentionally trying to hear it.

#612 3 years ago
Quoted from Asanteiro:

Here is a video of the tremendous Noise that my hook has

Holy crap that's loud. I think something else may be wrong with the sound board.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

4,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vienna, VA
$ 18.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

3,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 15.00
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 18.00
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Plastics
Mad Czar Games

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

3,800 (OBO)
$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
$ 28.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MoSeS_1592.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-speaker-noise-ideas-for-a-cure?tu=MoSeS_1592 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.