feeling good.gif
IMG_5622 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5613 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6748 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6743 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6741 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1144 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 7,364 posts in this topic. You are on page 63 of 148.
#3101 3 months ago
Quoted from dmesserly:

I think the mech looks cool but it’s not particularly innovative. Monster Bash essentially did this in the 90s.

It didn’t though. Drac doesn’t know where it is when you hit it, nor does it react in any kinetic way like a drop target falling down. People just spent a page arguing about the satisfaction of drops vs stand up targets

I get the comparison on a superficial level. But it is iterative and new, and it’s reductive to compare it to Drac (or mick on a stick which could detect where it was when hit). If we go down the rabbit hole of what did what first, the answer can almost always be brought back to old electro-mechanical games in one way or another…

What is a mech eating a ball if not essentially a slightly fancier gobble hole?

It’s an entirely new mech…

#3102 3 months ago
Quoted from yancy:

But does Godzilla eat the ball?

Godzilla doesnt eat things in the movie…. why would he eat a ball. A dinosaur eats stuff, makes sense JP dino eats simething. A shark also eat stuff. Dave groll eats pussy, not balls, why would he eat a ball.

I dont feel that the shark needs to eat soemthing, but i do feel it needs to be more interactive as its the name of the game. As i mentioned earlier, the pro model has zero interaction with the shark. Premium has minimal interaction.

But maybe we all need to drop the eating the ball talk as its counter productive. The shark doesnt eat the ball… fact. If you want a eating ball go jp premum. You want to bash a toy once and have it disappear, get jaws premium. You want a rubber shark to look at go jaws pro. Simple.

Jaws pro would be my pick if i were to buy because that upper playfield is an expensive ball diverter and slows down the game. I feel the same about gz pro and ff pro. Maybe im cheap and i go pro regardless, but they always seem to have less stoppage points. I am also shitty at pinball so my opinion is insignificant.

To all those who have it ordered, congrats. Its a stern, made by someone who has a great track record. It will be fun and extremely popular.

#3103 3 months ago

Oh what could have been...

Screenshot 2024-01-03 at 1.12.51 PM (resized).pngScreenshot 2024-01-03 at 1.12.51 PM (resized).png
#3104 3 months ago
Quoted from stubborngamer:

So I feel this is a good place for a Jaws 3-D review, I'm slowly watching them all, still haven't seen Jaws Revenge, so currently I do not know which of the previous 3 sharks came back to life to get their revenge, so don't spoil it for me. I actually thought the dialogue and setups in Jaws 3-D were much better than the second one, obviously the first was a classic that still holds up today so I won't bother comparing it to that behemoth. I was actually shocked since I heard it's supposed to be an abysmal movie(though I didn't like the 2nd movie so maybe I'm not giving the movie that much credit). The ending however was a series of escalating "bad stuff", that completely and utterly ruined the film. Just a mélange of nonsensical plot points, the worst 3-D effects all crammed into just the ending(In fact there was a curious lack of 3-D in the rest of the movie), just ended up awful where I wanted to say I liked it up to that point. No I didn't have 3-D specs on, just assuming what parts were 3-D. And yes, they should probably know how to deal with Sharks a BIT better at goldanged Sea World.

As someone who has watched them a lot

Jaws 1 - legit great film everyone should watch

Jaws 2 - it’s fine. It’s like a teen slasher. Neither terrible or great

Jaws 3 - a bit of a cluster. It was originally pitched to be a comedy and they rewrote it to be serious. It probably has the most ambitious ideas without the special effects/directing to pull it off. It’s bad, but fun (my favorite sequel)

Jaws 4 - insulting the audience’s intelligence level stupid. Terrible acting, story, directing, effects. Just an overall slog. Bad in a not fun way

#3105 3 months ago
Quoted from blaskoa:Jaws pro would be my pick

At first glance this is my thought as well but to not have that shark mech and appearance moment kind of hurts the experience in my opinion.

If I had to pick which mech I would rather have in the pro it is the shark and not the moving fin.

This thread has gone off the rails with the ball eating debate. Atleast get creative and have the shark eat a boat, or a flipper, part of a wire form creating a jump ramp or some something.

Eating a ball is pretty boring and might as well be a scoop.

#3106 3 months ago

I don't know how big a meme can get for pinball, but I predict videos of people taking the glass off and trying to shove a ball into the Shark's mouth to be "huge"(actually small since there's only about 2000 people who watch pinball content).

1500 of those viewers are just other ppl on here forwarding the same leaked video to each other.

#3107 3 months ago
Quoted from Purdue:

Oh what could have been...
[quoted image]

Yep plenty of ball eating games

#3108 3 months ago
Quoted from Darth_Chris:

Game looks fun to play. All 3 models are cool. A theme people waited for decades. It's an Elwin. And yet people keep whining.

what country? (resized).pngwhat country? (resized).png
#3109 3 months ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Eating a ball is pretty boring and might as well be a scoop.

Now I kinda wish there was a shark decorated scoop just to shut some people up lol

#3110 3 months ago

Ill stand by my statement the art sucks, but other then that the game looks incredible. I don't think it looks better then Godzilla but this is easily going to be a top 10 game just going off the video layout. Hell even the pro looks good yes it's stripped down but the shots are there and i think not having that upper playfield the game will flo more then the Prem/LE

#3111 3 months ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Now I kinda wish there was a shark decorated scoop just to shut some people up lol

Well that would technically check that box I guess. Ha

#3112 3 months ago

I think whatever country you are from people are impossible to please these days. Ah well can't wait to play it.

#3113 3 months ago

Guarantee this is how the game ends.

#3114 3 months ago
Quoted from SuperNinjaMonkey:

but this is easily going to be a top 10 game just going off the video layout.

When you're new you put game's you have not played into the top ten.

#3115 3 months ago

~24 hours after the Venom release, I had at least 5 distros contact me asking if I wanted an LE. None this time with Jaws. So Stern did something right with this title.

#3116 3 months ago

Just saw this pop up on Forbes, pretty wild.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3117 3 months ago
Quoted from Pinwizkid:

[quoted image]

So good.

#3118 3 months ago

Tried clicking on the Jaws Elwin podcast inside the stern insider app, but doesn’t seem to work. Anybody else listen yet?

#3119 3 months ago

I've had this pic for awhile. Thought it'd be a good time to post it

07 (resized).jpg07 (resized).jpg
#3120 3 months ago
Quoted from Pinwizkid:

[quoted image]

The tricky part of this is, nobody even knows pinball exists any longer. So this story doesn't pass the sniff test.

#3121 3 months ago
eNVA0M8PlPtQEI6YyEXPlw_r (resized).jpgeNVA0M8PlPtQEI6YyEXPlw_r (resized).jpg
#3122 3 months ago

Does anyone else think of this meme when they see the shark?

49ebb818be0f1c031a9549a722436359 (resized).jpg49ebb818be0f1c031a9549a722436359 (resized).jpg
#3123 3 months ago
Quoted from puristish:

Tried clicking on the Jaws Elwin podcast inside the stern insider app, but doesn’t seem to work. Anybody else listen yet?

Yes its a worthy listen especially when KME and HD are talking about the ball eating shark mech being terrible. There was simply no reason for them to make it up- they know what was terrible.

#3124 3 months ago

This whole ball eating drama reminds me of Grogugate when Mando was released.

Game looks like another Elwin masterpiece and I'm happy that one of my buddies is getting an LE and the other a premium so I'll have plenty of opportunities to play!

#3125 3 months ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

I'm happy that one of my buddies is getting an LE and the other a premium so I'll have plenty of opportunities to play!

Would not have thought that many people in your state would be willing to step up to "The devil's two key'ed piano".

#3126 3 months ago
Quoted from insight75:

~24 hours after the Venom release, I had at least 5 distros contact me asking if I wanted an LE. None this time with Jaws. So Stern did something right with this title.

Similar here. Definitely a grail theme for people. License matters.

#3127 3 months ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

This whole ball eating drama reminds me of Grogugate when Mando was released.

It's actually true.

Mando blows.

I've played a Mando with a moving yoda. Guess what? It still blows.

That being said it was hilarious watching that thing move around, I couldn't get enough.

But it didn't make me want to buy one. Or even play one.

Shows you how much this nonsense actually matters.

#3128 3 months ago
Quoted from Pmaino:

Where can you listen to the stern insider podcast? I went on their website and signed in but can’t find it. Anyone have a link?

insider.sternpinball.com
I use website.
Click to "Exclusives" tab, then it is right there, Episode 24

#3129 3 months ago

I guess it’s the difference between wanting a great shooting/playing machine and one with a gimmick.

I was disappointed there wasn’t a ball eating shark but after hearing from the engineer that they tried and it didn’t work and was actually not fun I’m cool with their decision. I ordered a premium yesterday!

#3130 3 months ago

So can we take a break from balleatinggate and talk about the 3d video mode? How is that going to work? I really hope it doesn't mean like 3d rendered polygon ps2 graphics but thats what I'm worried about. How else could it work? 3d Glasses? Maybe. A doubled screen and you get close and cross your eyes? Its got a new LCD in it that works like a nintendo 3DS?

#3131 3 months ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

So can we take a break from balleatinggate and talk about the 3d video mode? How is that going to work? I really hope it doesn't mean like 3d rendered polygon ps2 graphics but thats what I'm worried about. How else could it work? 3d Glasses? Maybe. A doubled screen and you get close and cross your eyes? It's got a new LCD in it that works like a nintendo 3DS?

3D Glasses... they explained on the podcast. The game will ship with a pair.

#3132 3 months ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

So can we take a break from balleatinggate and talk about the 3d video mode? How is that going to work? I really hope it doesn't mean like 3d rendered polygon ps2 graphics but thats what I'm worried about. How else could it work? 3d Glasses? Maybe. A doubled screen and you get close and cross your eyes? Its got a new LCD in it that works like a nintendo 3DS?

They already mentioned that the 3-d glasses come with the game. The animator and team also talked about the difficulties in creating this mode on that stern insider podcast.

#3133 3 months ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

It's a "3d" video mode with footage from Jaws 3 including the iconic horrible FX shot of the shark crashing the control room and that awesome bony arm floating out at the player.

There will be an option to play it in 3D with glasses or in 2D without.

My guess anyway.

Also I would like to suggest that on the LCD, rendered in glorious 3D graphics, the shark will, at one point, eat the ball

#3134 3 months ago

#3135 3 months ago
Quoted from 11strings:

3D Glasses... they explained on the podcast. The game will ship with a pair.

Would be cool if it was the 3D shark shooting game seen in the original film.

#3136 3 months ago

Stern just posted all the hi-res photos of the Premium. Check 'em out, I'm sure they'll reveal a new thing to complain about.

#3137 3 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's actually true.
Mando blows.
I've played a Mando with a moving yoda. Guess what? It still blows.
That being said it was hilarious watching that thing move around, I couldn't get enough.
But it didn't make me want to buy one. Or even play one.
Shows you how much this nonsense actually matters.

Yep...couldn't get rid of mine fast enough. Sold it at a big loss but was happy to see it go.

#3138 3 months ago

Is the Great White Shark an actual bash toy, or mainly a cosmetic pop up?

#3139 3 months ago

I'm assuming it's this form of 3-D glasses, not the ones modern day 3-D movies use.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3140 3 months ago

I think every living creature eats things... you know what, now I'm rethinking this whole freaking pinball industry.
Not the people behind Rudy though, you guys f*cking rock.[quoted image]

Rudy doesn't eat the ball! he chokes on it and spits it out!!!! That's like comparing pinball machines...to...cars!

#3141 3 months ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

I was wondering if we have to wear the glasses the whole game and if not is there a hanger or hook for quick access?

#3142 3 months ago

Pinside's new #1 dream theme confirmed
Screenshot 2024-01-05 at 7.10.47?AM (resized).pngScreenshot 2024-01-05 at 7.10.47?AM (resized).png
American Pinball: GET. ON. THIS. NOW.

#3143 3 months ago

I’m hoping that shark can be reskinned. Would look so much better with a better sculpt/paint job.

#3144 3 months ago
Quoted from blaskoa:

Godzilla doesnt eat things in the movie…. why would he eat a ball. A dinosaur eats stuff, makes sense JP dino eats simething. A shark also eat stuff. Dave groll eats pussy, not balls, why would he eat a ball.
I dont feel that the shark needs to eat soemthing, but i do feel it needs to be more interactive as its the name of the game. As i mentioned earlier, the pro model has zero interaction with the shark. Premium has minimal interaction.
But maybe we all need to drop the eating the ball talk as its counter productive. The shark doesnt eat the ball… fact. If you want a eating ball go jp premum. You want to bash a toy once and have it disappear, get jaws premium. You want a rubber shark to look at go jaws pro. Simple.
Jaws pro would be my pick if i were to buy because that upper playfield is an expensive ball diverter and slows down the game. I feel the same about gz pro and ff pro. Maybe im cheap and i go pro regardless, but they always seem to have less stoppage points. I am also shitty at pinball so my opinion is insignificant.
To all those who have it ordered, congrats. Its a stern, made by someone who has a great track record. It will be fun and extremely popular.

Upvoted because you know so much about Dave Grohl's personal life

#3145 3 months ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

Pinside's new #1 dream theme confirmed
[quoted image]
American Pinball: GET. ON. THIS. NOW.

There is a "Large" version of this already, see them in many Family amusement centers.

#3146 3 months ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

It didn’t though. Drac doesn’t know where it is when you hit it, nor does it react in any kinetic way like a drop target falling down. People just spent a page arguing about the satisfaction of drops vs stand up targets
I get the comparison on a superficial level. But it is iterative and new, and it’s reductive to compare it to Drac (or mick on a stick which could detect where it was when hit). If we go down the rabbit hole of what did what first, the answer can almost always be brought back to old electro-mechanical games in one way or another…
What is a mech eating a ball if not essentially a slightly fancier gobble hole?
It’s an entirely new mech…

It's iterative. Cool yes, if the rules are good which I assume they will be. Batman's crane moved and registered where it was hit, just not continuously. Interesting development of prior mechs.

Cactus Canyon has drops that pop up and fall down. Don't move in a groove but they pop up and disappear if you miss. Essentially movement.

#3147 3 months ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

I'm a pretty simple guy and can have some fun with almost every pinball machine I play.
I wanted the shark to eat the ball. Is that too much to ask?
Absolutely retarded.

Buy a JP, problem solved.

#3148 3 months ago

Forget the ball eating shark. Where is the naked lady swimming?

#3150 3 months ago

The Shark eating the ball would destroy everyones flow state but cheesy red blue 3D glasses that is going to be a recycled movie clip from Jaws 3D is good to go. If a couple seconds to see a clever mechanic ruins your pinball experience I have no idea how you enjoy pinball.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
JAWS (PREMIUM) Pre-order!
The Pinball Place

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 185.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Reflex Mods

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 36.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 42.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Other
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 26.50
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Scottsdale, AZ
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 25.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 32.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 89.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bay Village, OH
$ 9,699.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

There are 7,364 posts in this topic. You are on page 63 of 148.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dah-dumjaws-hype-thread/page/63?hl=parsonsaj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.