feeling good.gif
IMG_5622 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5613 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6748 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6743 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6741 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1144 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 7,364 posts in this topic. You are on page 65 of 148.
#3201 6 months ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

And there's next years Anniversary Edition. That contrast really looks fantastic.

It will be rethemed Bond 60th with no shark. (btw, I played Bond 60th...um..I do not get the love but that's another conversation).

#3202 6 months ago

I haven't seen all the sequels, so I grabbed this today. Pretty sweet deal on Amazon, if you are in the market.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CPBHZJ8

#3203 6 months ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

If the shark mech to eat pinballs sucked (according to the podcast) then they obviously chose the wrong strategy. Lets recap the first film ending... shark eats scuba tank, Brody shoots scuba tank, shark explodes. What part of "shark bash target appears from below playfield, player has to "shoot" the shark to complete 'Kill the Shark' jackpot/achievement" matches that point for point? Seems you could come up with a pinball mech that locks balls in the mouth or interacts more with the ball than a simple disapearing bash target. Still happier with Godzilla. Moving buildings, bridges, and magnets and monsters... spinning fishing reels? No harpoon gun mech, no ball eating or locking shark... just chum the water red and a "Thing" retread? Again, not seeing the glory. YMMV.

@bublehead, again good post and I agree with your thoughts here.

#3204 6 months ago
Quoted from insight75:

I can't wait for BTTF when everyone complains that the ball doesn't do 88 MPH...

Quoted from stubborngamer:

This is actually a realistic speed for the ball to achieve.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I used to think so but I’m told a pinball doesn’t exceed 20 mph.

He's in Canada and I think time-travel speed is 88 km/h there. Which is probably the same as 20 mph.

#3205 6 months ago
Quoted from Vino:

[quoted image]

I see you found a leak of Sterns new "Ultra 3D glasses featuring 360 degree rotation vision enhancement technology" for the low low price of $799.99.

#3206 6 months ago

Saw Jaws for the first and only time about 15 years ago. And did not think much of it. Was mostly enjoying the "who's got the bigger scar" competition. That was brilliant.

If not for anything else, this hype train has made me decide on a re-watch this weekend.

#3207 6 months ago
Quoted from usandthem:

How about a Dan Marino game where you can get to the wizard mode once right out of the gate and fail? And then never get there again. (Disclaimer: Marino was my player when I was a kid, jersey and all, but has been largely forgotten because he never won anything.)

#justplaybetter

I still hate the 49ers.

#3208 6 months ago
Quoted from jedimastermatt:

The spotlights are wired to eat the pinballs.

...and there it is. Here is where the "eat the ball" joke just jumped the shark. The joke is old and over...

#3209 6 months ago

Will there be a “swimming with bow legged women” mode?

#3210 6 months ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

I haven't seen all the sequels, so I grabbed this today. Pretty sweet deal on Amazon, if you are in the market.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CPBHZJ8

I like the price for the three movies most people don’t want

I imagine when Stern was discussing the license, Universal was probably like Jaws costs X. But we can give you 2 and 3 for just a few percentage points more in cost. Less if you agree to take 4!

#3211 6 months ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I like the price for the three movies most people don’t want
I imagine when Stern was discussing the license, Universal was probably like Jaws costs X. But we can give you 2 and 3 for just a few percentage points more in cost. Less if you agree to take 4!

If it was based on Jaws 4 we would have a ball eating shark! Price was high for 1 and they nixed the ball eater....

#3212 6 months ago

I'm probably blind and there's one already - disregard if so. But if not, for those who're in and could do with a "WHY DOESN'T IT EAT THE BALL" free space, I went ahead and started an owner's thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jaws-owner-s-we-re-gonna-need-a-bigger-club#post-7957467

#3213 6 months ago
Quoted from insight75:

If it was based on Jaws 4 we would have a ball eating shark! Price was high for 1 and they nixed the ball eater....

Yeah but then people would be mad you don’t spear the shark with the front of the boat (then the shark explodes for some reason?)

There are several versions of the ending to 4 and they all stink
IMG_4318 (resized).jpegIMG_4318 (resized).jpeg

#3214 6 months ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

He's in Canada and I think time-travel speed is 88 km/h there. Which is probably the same as 20 mph.

There's a difference between it hasn't been done in pinball, and the ball not being able to reach those speeds. I'll begin researching how to do it safely in a pinball machine for the BTTF release. Even though it's probably more fun to figure out how to do it unsafely, and spending more time researching just what the aftermath/fallout would be.

#3215 6 months ago
Quoted from GCS2000:

For us I think its that we had our sites set really high for this title. Dream theme for sure and everything just fell flat for us.
After how great GZ, JP, IM are we expected more - a lot more. What is that more, I don't know but all aspects fell short of expectations.
Does that mean this won't be a good game once we play it - nope. In fact I get a vibe that it will be fun and a great shooter. For us the art, the mechs, the toys, the innovation all of it came up short. That's on us not on Stern tbh. We had super high hopes probably unrealistic and we accept that.
We are eager to play on location (or preferably someone's home) but we are not dropping 10k on this game anytime soon. We spent our $$ elsewhere.
And this is not me bashing the game just stating why we aren't as hyped about it as we want to be.

Honestly this is a great post, and it echos how I feel. I think his AIQ, while flawed, is a better layout than this. I'm not seeing anything blowing my mind on this. The art really is a huge dissappuntment for me, and the playfield is just so darn wide open.

I'm let down by one of the scellari bros swimming across the playfield. Not a huge innovation nor does it strike me as fun. I will play it, but not blown away by what I see.

And yeah, the man makes awesome machines. So being let down is sorta on us. At the same token, everyone has their style, and I'm starting to see his. Maybe that magic is going away a bit. Seeing the same weird skill shot going to nowhere, the same pop bumper placement as godzilla, and those posts that hold the ball over and over went from fresh and neat to, "oh.... there's that again."

#3216 6 months ago

I'm sure they could have made a shark eating mech cool but this is Stern with a limited BOM, you probably wouldn't have gotten one or two other features because of the shark eating mech taking most of the BOM to design. I'm more disappointed in the pro missing so much and the shark coming out of the cage looks weird, will just wait a year or two to get a premium at a discount.

#3217 6 months ago

Ordered Pro. Don’t see a downside for the price...

#3218 6 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Sounds like a Dan Marino toy!

Haha!!!

#3219 6 months ago

I’ve been wondering what this guys been up to . Could you guys imagine if Dryfuss popped in this thread to defend himself. Holy hell that would be some spectacle .

IMG_5108 (resized).jpegIMG_5108 (resized).jpeg
#3220 6 months ago

It really has become amazing, how we as a community, have become SO conditioned to quickly handing over exorbitant amounts of money for our shiny new toys.

(Please tell me that Pro model at $7,000 is a joke.)

#3221 6 months ago

I think the 3D mode should be like the Nintendo 3DS, you don't need glasses. It's a rendering technique called parallax barrier.

I can't imagine having players putting on the glasses in the middle of the game. And what about locations? Either sticking with 2D or Bring your own glasses?

#3222 6 months ago
Quoted from Fatsquatch:

It really has become amazing, how we as a community, have become SO conditioned to quickly handing over exorbitant amounts of money for our shiny new toys.

It’s been for some time now. Nobody is exited about it. It’s not just pinball just look around at the prices of anything that’s a luxury item. I just keep a handful at home and go out to play the others .Locations are still mostly $1/play and $2/3 plays so it’s not like there’s no options.

#3223 6 months ago
Quoted from Fatsquatch:

I read this a lot. I want cheap pins too but don’t know what folks expect as far as brand new coin op enabled pinball in 2024. Virtual machines and home pins are always an option or buy one used. Play on location too. It’s all good.

#3224 6 months ago
Quoted from gnocchi_pesto:

I think the 3D mode should be like the Nintendo 3DS, you don't need glasses. It's a rendering technique called parallax barrier.
I can't imagine having players putting on the glasses in the middle of the game. And what about locations? Either sticking with 2D or Bring your own glasses?

The 3DS also had a custom screen to do that. And people generally didn’t use it much, hence Nintendo later releasing the 2DS

And if you used the 3D you would know it required your head to be within a specific position. Easier on a handheld (and a physical slider to adjust to user preference)

#3225 6 months ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

Ok if you all think the shark bite ball consumption conundrum was a problem then lets pivot to...
Where is the sinking Orca? Isn't that the major plot point driving the whole end scene drama? Boat is sinking, tension is high, Brody is on the mast with the riffle, the shark attacks over and over... i know I could ratchet up a multiball where you have to lock the ball in his mouth (scuba tank) then hit the locked ball for jackpot (explode the tank) to kill the shark, all before the Orca sinks... come on people, KE is good but not unfalable, so the game play better make up for the final shark battle in one way or another. If I am not jacked on every ounce of addrenaline when I am fighting (and flipping) that last shark fight, then WTF people? And a timer count down is so already done to death on Godzilla, so it better not be just be a time limited mode where we get the countdown call outs... a physical sinking boat would have made more sense, and just video clips from the movie are not jacking my thrill levels like an actual visceral sinking boat but I am not a professional pinball designer... I am just a player like the most of us.

I'm starting to think maybe this game isn't for you.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#3226 6 months ago

I keep having dreams that I am being eaten by a shark not sure what that means, but seriously eating red lobster after a screening coloscopy is a bad idea
LE ordered!

#3227 6 months ago

Getting ready.
Can’t wait!

527780BE-4A82-4C8D-A8EC-91F655D5BC6E (resized).jpeg527780BE-4A82-4C8D-A8EC-91F655D5BC6E (resized).jpeg
#3228 6 months ago
Quoted from usandthem:

How about a Dan Marino game where you can get to the wizard mode once right out of the gate and fail? And then never get there again. (Disclaimer: Marino was my player when I was a kid, jersey and all, but has been largely forgotten because he never won anything.)

It wasn't Marino's fault the Dolphins never had a running game!!!

Also, why doesn't the shark eat the ball and why isn't there a sinking ship and why doesn't the tank explode and why aren't there sinking barrel pop bumpers and why isn't the drop target shaped like a shark fin and why doesn't the game shoot you in the face with fake blood and why isn't brody in the game at all wait he is well then why isn't there a bereaved mom's hand that emerges from the side pf the game and slap you in the face IT'S ALL SO OBVIOUS A COMPLETE MORON WITH NO IMAGINATION COULD HAVE DESIGNED ALL THIS STERN YOU CLEARLY MISSED THE BOAT!!!

#3229 6 months ago
Quoted from soren:

Saw Jaws for the first and only time about 15 years ago. And did not think much of it. Was mostly enjoying the "who's got the bigger scar" competition. That was brilliant.
If not for anything else, this hype train has made me decide on a re-watch this weekend.

The hype train made me rewatch it last night. While I like creature features, this is not a movie that ever really stuck with me so not much nostalgia. It's a decent enough movie, but not a dream theme or something I would watch often.

#3230 6 months ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

#justplaybetter
I still hate the 49ers.

Rent free

#3231 6 months ago
Quoted from soren:

I think John Milius wrote that scene, at the very least the Indianapolis part of it. Its amazing how many memorable scenes he was just the script doctor for.

#3232 6 months ago

Ok. The Shark emerges from the Playfield, and Swollows the Dan Marino Bash Toy for a 4 yard Loss.
Final Score..
Miami Dolphins 7
Amity Pirates 14.
Dolphins are eliminated from the Twipy voting.
Someone get on the ai image..

#3233 6 months ago
Quoted from Snickers45:

I think John Milius wrote that scene, at the very least the Indianapolis part of it. Its amazing how many memorable scenes he was just the script doctor for.

Interesting mythology around that speech. Most contend it was Shaw, who actually did one take drunk and the next day, he was sober. They used both takes in the movie.

Anyway, quick read here for the bullet points.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/jaws-debate-over-who-wrote-uss-indianapolis-speech-1235168476/amp/

#3234 6 months ago
Quoted from gonzo73:

Ok. The Shark emerges from the Playfield Swollows the Dan Marino Bash Toy for a 4 yard Loss.
Final Score..
Miami Dolphins 7
Amity Pirates 14.
Dolphins are eliminated from the Twipy voting.
Someone get on the ai image..

Where’s Snowflake?

IMG_1050 (resized).jpegIMG_1050 (resized).jpeg
#3235 6 months ago

Problem solved!!! Ball eaten

Jaws_LE_Details_Strobe_54.0 (resized).jpgJaws_LE_Details_Strobe_54.0 (resized).jpg
#3236 6 months ago

I don’t think people understand what it costs to run an operation like Stern. They have been here keeping this hobby alive through the bad times providing many of people with enjoyment. There is a lot of people who make a living there and with an outfit like that you have big time stress to keep the doors open. Would you rather see them downsize and poop out a game every year or so? Don't take me for a fan boi as I’ve expressed my displeasure in things also as it’s all of our rights but I’m glad they got that new factory and plan on taking my kids there as soon as I can get a pass . I will be supporting them as much as I can (I’m currently at a standstill) as they provide hours upon hours of entertainment at home and out. I totally understand voicing opinions and that’s 100% all good in my book no matter what side of the fence your on but to ramble on and on and on about your dislike in something seems very strange to me. This is Jaws, take and enjoy it or move on to something you do enjoy. I promise it will be much healthier for you.

#3237 6 months ago

Here's the transcript from the Stern podcast about the making of Jaws:

https://stern-wagtail-1.s3.amazonaws.com/media/documents/View_Transcription_-_JAWS_Panel_Discussion.pdf

You might have to be logged in to your IC account to view it.

#3238 6 months ago

Amazed amount of peeps not seen Jaws till recently.
I now feel old AF... having seen it in cinema upon release in 1975

#3239 6 months ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

I don’t think people understand what it costs to run an operation like Stern. They have been here keeping this hobby alive through the bad times providing many of people with enjoyment. There is a lot of people who make a living there and with an outfit like that you have big time stress to keep the doors open. Would you rather see them downsize and poop out a game every year or so? Don't take me for a fan boi as I’ve expressed my displeasure in things also as it’s all of our rights but I’m glad they got that new factory and plan on taking my kids there as soon as I can get a pass . I will be supporting them as much as I can (I’m currently at a standstill) as they provide hours upon hours of entertainment at home and out. I totally understand voicing opinions and that’s 100% all good in my book no matter what side of the fence your on but to ramble on and on and on about your dislike in something seems very strange to me. This is Jaws, take and enjoy it or move on to something you do enjoy. I promise it will be much healthier for you.

twin-peaks-amen.giftwin-peaks-amen.gif
#3240 6 months ago
Quoted from BRW84:

https://stern-wagtail-1.s3.amazonaws.com/media/documents/View_Transcription_-_JAWS_Panel_Discussion.pdf

Also, the main takeaways from the interview are that the shark that ate the ball sucked and that a drop target shaped like a shark fin turns into a ramp that launches the ball halfway across the playfield.

#3241 6 months ago
Quoted from Sako-TRG:

Ditto. I'm 55 and i've watched it maybe 30 times?

#3242 6 months ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

I'm 39 and I've probably watched it that many times, mainly because it used to comprise a solid 60% of the TBS network's programming block.

#3243 6 months ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

They let kids in cinema back then, I was 4 year old.
I remember everyone screaming blue murder..... don't get that kind of interaction at the movies these days..lol

#3244 6 months ago
Quoted from BRW84:

I'm 39 and I've probably watched it that many times, mainly because it used to comprise a solid 60% of the TBS network's programming block.

And Thank god too, because before that it was 70 percent Beastmaster.

What does TBS stand for?

"The Beastmaster Station!"

What does HBO stand for?

"Hey, Beastmaster's On!"

#3245 6 months ago
Quoted from Sako-TRG:

Super weird indeed. I'm 40 and probably seen it 30-40x. Actually just picked up the 4k UHD release of it to pair with the Angel's Envy Bourbon County. Weekend hype waiting for Logan Arcade to stand it up.

#3246 6 months ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

I’ve been wondering what this guys been up to . Could you guys imagine if Dryfuss popped in this thread to defend himself. Holy hell that would be some spectacle .
[quoted image]

He would say the shark should eat and lock balls.

#3247 6 months ago

I'm thinking of doing a poll asking if you don't care about the theme or movie, do you like the premium translite and if you love jaws and it's a dream theme, do you like the prem translite?

I'm willing to bet the first will be a resounding yes, they love the prem translite while the second would be a hell now.

I think it's great stern provided an option for both groups. I was a little confused how the pro received the same translite as the LE - never seen that before but then I realized, Stern is trying to make money and wants that nostaliga running wild when people see this in bars, which is designed for the pro - makes sense. And they know LE buyers are the ones who love the theme and need that old school goodness so we have it on ours....

Keith mentions too how he hates upper playfields since it cuts the flow so he intentionally designed this one to play seamless with the rest of the game. Super excited to see how it fits. As a JJP pirates owner, this upper is an absolute joke of a boat attempt HOWEVER, stern is not designing it that way. They want you in and out....

I also love the blue tones all throughout the playfield. I love Yeti but we need more variety in how our PFs look and the saturation standard we've seen on so many, I'm good with how jaws looks. Love the white too. If they went art everywhere with color saturation ala Foo, it would be a major miss. You can tell people who made this game understand the property and aren't just interested in satisfying the newbies in this hobby.

#3248 6 months ago
Quoted from BRW84:

clip of the reasoning the shark isn't eating the ball in the final version:

"Harrison: Yes, the shark is the movie, right? It's one of, basically, the four main
characters in the movie, so it had to have a really big centered presence on the
game. With this team's history, this is the team that did Jurassic Park T-Rex. We did
the Godzilla building. We've done some big interface mechs. The shark did feel like a
good opportunity to do that.
When we set out on this game, this thing would go onto the playfield, it'd come up,
it'd eat your ball, it'd intimidate the player, that sort of thing. We went through. We
built that mech, right? Put it on a game, and it sucked. [laughs] It was just one of
those mechs that I think everyone, like if you were designing a
Jaws game, and as a fan, you would want that mech, until we built it, we put it on a
game, we shot it. You didn't want that mech.
Nate: I could hear angry typing guy in the distance. "It better eat my ball when I
play."
Harrison: Yes, and I know people are going to be expecting that, and it ended up as
a bash toy, but ultimately, I think it was better for that. Logistically, it's a shark, it's not
in the sky like the T-Rex would be. It had to be under the playfield, which means, if
you have a shark under the playfield that's going to eat your ball, that means its
mouth has to line up with the playfield, which means 80% of the shark is under the
playfield.
When we built that, it just-- It visually didn't look right, it didn't feel right. It wasn't
really-- It wasn't a moment on the game when that shark would come up. Keith and I
built it, we shot it, we looked at it, decided it sucked, and then went back to the
drawing board, and created the version that's on the game now. Which is a much
more pronounced in-your-face shark head coming up out of the playfield.
There's some nice rules tied to it for mode boosts, and I think it ended up as a better
product. It's not the mech that everyone thinks you're going to do, but it's the mech
that was right for this game.
Nate: Better for the game, right. Well, and it makes sense, because the shark is not
in the movie all that much, he's only--[crosstalk]
Harrison: Right.
Keith: It's not much you can do with it. You shot it into its mouth, then it goes under
the playfield, then what? It's like-- [laughs]
Harrison: Then what? Exactly. [laughs]
Keith: It's not like a T-Rex that thrashes around and throws it. It was basically just a
moving scoop, and it wasn't very interesting. I much prefer this bash, it's a little more
dangerous. It shoots the ball back at you. That was a more easy decision I could
make."

#3249 6 months ago
Quoted from acedanger:

Problem solved!!! Ball eaten
[quoted image]

I read this earlier from you and ya know… it not too far out of the realm of possibilities. It’s got me thinking the LE already has the coding to run it and most everything is there for it… but who is going to be the brave soul to do it? And figure out where to give it back?

#3250 6 months ago
Quoted from delt31:

I'm thinking of doing a poll asking if you don't care about the theme or movie, do you like the premium translite and if you love jaws and it's a dream theme, do you like the prem translite?
I'm willing to bet the first will be a resounding yes, they love the prem translite while the second would be a hell now.
I think it's great stern provided an option for both groups. I was a little confused how the pro received the same translite as the LE - never seen that before but then I realized, Stern is trying to make money and wants that nostaliga running wild when people see this in bars, which is designed for the pro - makes sense. And they know LE buyers are the ones who love the theme and need that old school goodness so we have it on ours....
Keith mentions too how he hates upper playfields since the cut the flow of a game and designed this one to play seamless with the rest of the game. Super excited to see how it fits. As a JJP pirates owner, this upper is an absolute joke of a boat attempt HOWEVER, stern is not designing it that way. They want you in and out....
I also love the blue tones all throughout the playfield. I love Yeti but we need more variety in how are PFs look and the saturation standard we've seen on so many, I'm so happy jaws looks like this, including the PF which matches that simple tone of the movie.

I agree with the blue playfield. I love Zombie Yeti art, especially on comic pins, but sometimes playfield art that looks like a landscape - like the ocean - enhances the world under glass.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 101.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 195.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cosmic Mods

$ 9,699.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 32.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Magnetic Speaker Framez

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
FlipMods

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Slipstream Mod Shop

Machine - For Sale
Traverse City, MI
$ 26.50
$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
FlipMods

$ 169.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
CRCades

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 20.00
Lighting - Other
Dr Pinball

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Interactive
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Wyoming, PA
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Machine - For Sale
Wood Dale, IL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
FlipMods

There are 7,364 posts in this topic. You are on page 65 of 148.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.