feeling good.gif
IMG_5622 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5613 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6748 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6743 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6741 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1144 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 7,364 posts in this topic. You are on page 62 of 148.
#3051 3 months ago
Quoted from Xelz:

If Pikachu eats balls then people will complain it wasn’t Charizard eating balls instead.

I honestly think it’s not an issue. We know Seth Davis reads this stuff and is eager to please; witness the recent distro call where he promised code updates on old games until the end of time, vaults till the end of time, and no more LE re-runs.

I can guarantee you, from here on out, every stern game will contain at least three ball-eating mechs. And that’s just the pro!

#3052 3 months ago

I actually think the negativity post full reveal has been very low….i see way more people excited then criticizing. Kaneda has polls up asking if followers are buying Jaws, EJ and the new Spooky games. All the polls were released around the time of reveal…Jaws is at 30 percent of followers buying, in comparison Spooky at 7 percent combining both variants and EJ is only at 3 percent. They all have a few hundred responses so decent sample size.

#3053 3 months ago

What's worse, complaining that the shark doesn't eat pinballs, or complaining that people are complaining about the shark not eating pinballs?

#3054 3 months ago

I'm glad I needed "sorted out", but let's face the fact that the underwelming draw to play a shark based pinball machine that DOES NOT EAT THE BALL, will be the most agrevating thing to have to constantly assure and explain to your friend's and guests-

"Oh, the shark never eats the ball... but that would be so lame, you see the designers thought..."

"It doesn't swallow your ball? Like, ever?"

"Well, no, you have to play the game and get in tune with the ruleset, it's so much more satisfying just to bash that sucker one more....

"No biting, no chewing, no animated "jaws"?!?"

"No, but there is this neat aspect of leveling up your bounty hunting..."

"So what does this Godzilla machine do? That looks like a lot of fun- trying to tear down the building..."

#3055 3 months ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

What's worse, complaining that the shark doesn't eat pinballs, or complaining that people are complaining about the shark not eating pinballs?

Complaining that the shark doesn’t eat pinballs.

#3056 3 months ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

complaining - just complaining

#3057 3 months ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

I'm glad I needed "sorted out", but let's face the fact that the underwelming draw to play a shark based pinball machine that DOES NOT EAT THE BALL, will be the most agrevating thing to have to constantly assure and explain to your friend's and guests-
"Oh, the shark never eats the ball... but that would be so lame, you see the designers thought..."
"It doesn't swallow your ball? Like, ever?"
"Well, no, you have to play the game and get in tune with the ruleset, it's so much more satisfying just to bash that sucker one more....
"No biting, no chewing, no animated "jaws"?!?"
"No, but there is this neat aspect of leveling up your bounty hunting..."
"So what does this Godzilla machine do? That looks like a lot of fun- trying to tear down the building..."

Yes, you are 100 percent right. If your average moron who has NO IDEA how to design pinball machines made jaws, it would 100 percent have a ball-eating shark. It would be the one thing the game would be guaranteed to have, besides flippers.

We all know this already but thanks for explaining it again. Bonus points for doing it in the form of a one-act stage play, or corporate team-building roleplay exercise.

#3058 3 months ago

I don't know how big a meme can get for pinball, but I predict videos of people taking the glass off and trying to shove a ball into the Shark's mouth to be "huge"(actually small since there's only about 2000 people who watch pinball content).

#3059 3 months ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

Alien eats the ball and its one of the lamest pinball moments ever.

Well that's just wrong. Everyone who plays mine and sees the alien eat the ball thinks it's one of the coolest things ever. I have a JP that eats the ball...I'm fine with a bash toy on my Jaws.

#3060 3 months ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Listen, Jaws might be awesome -- we can't tell if it is or isn't yet -- but we're seeing a shift here. The LCD screen is a big factor, so do you get the movie rights so you can play clips, but reduce playfield mech/art budget, or do you make a game like JP with lots in it but no assets? The latter was solved by a third party because that custom code is awesome.

Throw Insider Connected development on top of this to give players some "achievements" and you'll see where development costs have shifted.

Having said that, Maiden is the best modern game ever and it doesn't have many mechs at all, so still possible for Jaws to be good.

I'm just happy we don't have to abbreviate Jaws.

#3061 3 months ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

Stranger things too!

Took them 3+ years and a redesign to make it occasionally eat a ball, maybe they should've gone the Jaws route.

#3062 3 months ago
Quoted from Sako-TRG:

Oh no!
David Soul (hutch) had died

I guess he gave up on us, baby.

#3063 3 months ago

Just be happy the shark eats quarters!

#3064 3 months ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Just be happy the shark eats quarters!

I know this for the mod thread but I’ll assume someone is already making a 3d shark coin slot or dollar bill mech for this thing.

#3065 3 months ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

I think so many have been waiting for this pin for so long that the expectations were sky high and that contributes to the negativity.
Being able to shoot the ball into the shark in a pinball machine is something just assumed and a low bar to hit. Granted it didn't happen on this pin and eventually everyone will get past that. It's not surprising to complain about it because it's just after the reveal and kind of a shock.
Those that might argue that if this is such a good team why couldn't they do it and have it not suck - need to understand that the team had something else in mind. It is what it is. The shark on the playfield may not do much but at least there is a shark on the playfield.

Its called jaws, i would assume it would have a shark as the main attraction. Saying at least it has a shark is silly. Its a shark movie, it has to have a shark. It was said to have three full sized flippers, and only has two. Those mini flippers IMHO are a waste and only semi functional.

The pro, essentially has no shark. I mean i can put a shark figure on my scooby doo or tmnt and call it jaws. This shark has zero interaction, a huge miss on the pro.

On premium, you bash the shark once and then it hides? WTF, it might as well have no shark. As one mentioned, having a underwater playfield incorporating a shark, or a shark that is a constant bash toy like deadpool, or a shark that eats a ball like JP, etc. Another huge miss.

This is not a unique machine, and the shark is a huge disappointment. Its slightly crazy how much people are going nuts for this. If this was a different manufacturer, you all would absolutely wreck this machine. Imagine if jjp or spooky put this out, everyone would say how stripped it was. Stern knows jaws will sell regarless of what they put in it due to desir and theme.

With this being said, stern has changed pinball in a good way, has made pinball a larger community, innovative with IC, and have produced fun reliable machines. I will absolutely play this machine on location, and like stern as a company. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and its nice to see people excited for their dream theme. I just feel all the anticipation and awesome theme had been a disappointment and a huge miss for the theme. Stern will print some cash on this machine, but being a cash grab is really all I see.

#3066 3 months ago
ask (resized).pngask (resized).pnglaser beams (resized).pnglaser beams (resized).png
#3067 3 months ago

Pokemon will have a Poke Ball bash toy. Capturing stuff wasnt fun

#3068 3 months ago

It should lock a ball in its mouth and then chew with blood in the water. At that point a re-used walking dead crossbow (Re-labeled as a gun) on the apron fires to kill the shark!! The shark explodes on the screen and the shaker goes off as Brody yells smile you son of a bitch!!! Hey Elwin Im available for a part time gig!

That being said. Im in on a premium anyway!

#3069 3 months ago
Quoted from Tommy_Pins:

I'm still bitter Dave Grohl doesn't eat the ball.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3070 3 months ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I guess he gave up on us, baby.

Man... i used to own the 45 when young
Dont give up on us on the A side
Black Bean Soup on the B

God speed

#3071 3 months ago

For all those looking for a Hungry Hungry Hippos pinball game where every Mech on the PF eats balls…

This is not the thread for you.

#3072 3 months ago

I can't wait for BTTF when everyone complains that the ball doesn't do 88 MPH...

#3073 3 months ago

Does the ball eat the shark?

#3074 3 months ago

For us I think its that we had our sites set really high for this title. Dream theme for sure and everything just fell flat for us.

After how great GZ, JP, IM are we expected more - a lot more. What is that more, I don't know but all aspects fell short of expectations.

Does that mean this won't be a good game once we play it - nope. In fact I get a vibe that it will be fun and a great shooter. For us the art, the mechs, the toys, the innovation all of it came up short. That's on us not on Stern tbh. We had super high hopes probably unrealistic and we accept that.

We are eager to play on location (or preferably someone's home) but we are not dropping 10k on this game anytime soon. We spent our $$ elsewhere.

And this is not me bashing the game just stating why we aren't as hyped about it as we want to be.

#3075 3 months ago
Quoted from insight75:

I can't wait for BTTF when everyone complains that the ball doesn't do 88 MPH...

I think we can all agree the BTTF shark is a flying delorean.

Does it fly?

Dear god why doesn’t it fly?

You horrible monsters all I wanted was a flying delorean!!

I still think it might fly. If you look there’s a spot where it could fly.

It doesn’t fly?! Why doesn’t it fly?! If anybody designed a BTTF game the first thing they’d implement is a flying delorean!!

#3076 3 months ago
Quoted from insight75:

This is actually a realistic speed for the ball to achieve.

#3077 3 months ago
Quoted from stubborngamer:

This is actually a realistic speed for the ball to achieve.

I used to think so but I’m told a pinball doesn’t exceed 20 mph.

#3078 3 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I think we can all agree the BTTF shark is a flying delorean.
Does it fly?
Dear god why doesn’t it fly?
You horrible monsters all I wanted was a flying delorean!!
I still think it might fly. If you look there’s a spot where it could fly.
It doesn’t fly?! Why doesn’t it fly?! If anybody designed a BTTF game the first thing they’d implement is a flying delorean!!

BTF the musical had a flying Delorean, I expect the pinball machine to have one

#3079 3 months ago

#3080 3 months ago

Since it appears people are still gnashing teeth about the shark not gobbling your balls, if you are curious about how that would work, I created some PROFESSIONAL mockups of how that could be achieved if you look at my post history in this thread. I also made a promo poster for the occasion, which I will repost here incase you missed it during the feeding frenzy surrounding the official promo release.

IMG_0812.jpegIMG_0812.jpeg

#3081 3 months ago

I feel the pain of those not happy about no ball eating shark. Imagine my dismay when Godzilla didn't actually shoot out atomic breath and melt my machine down and light my house on fire. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to live with my disappointment and just play a great shooting game with awesome rules

#3082 3 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Complaining that the shark doesn’t eat pinballs.

haha.

#3083 3 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I used to think so but I’m told a pinball doesn’t exceed 20 mph.

An 88 mph pinball would do quite a lot of damage. Just ask any Philly fan...they use them at sporting events to throw at players.

#3084 3 months ago

Dam it's hard to keep up with this thread. Maybe just time we all take a little break

JAWS (resized).jpgJAWS (resized).jpg
#3085 3 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I honestly think it’s not an issue. We know Seth Davis reads this stuff and is eager to please; witness the recent distro call where he promised code updates on old games until the end of time, vaults till the end of time, and no more LE re-runs.
I can guarantee you, from here on out, every stern game will contain at least three ball-eating mechs. And that’s just the pro!

I don’t know about anyone else, but I feel like all my games have three very effective ball-eating mechanisms. I call them the outlanes and SDTM

#3086 3 months ago

Can’t stand all the negativity on this site. People complaining about things in a new game. Do you not like pinball? Do you want these companies to fold up and not make any new games at all? These companies are making new games for people to flip and enjoy. Yes they are expensive but no one says you have to buy it. Play it on location like it has always been or get another hobby.

#3087 3 months ago

I think a reaction like this is why Stern passed on Potter and BTTF. You guys are ridiculous! Get off the trolley from pretend land and lets enjoy this baby!

#3088 3 months ago
Quoted from blaskoa:

Its called jaws, i would assume it would have a shark as the main attraction. Saying at least it has a shark is silly. Its a shark movie, it has to have a shark. It was said to have three full sized flippers, and only has two. Those mini flippers IMHO are a waste and only semi functional.
The pro, essentially has no shark. I mean i can put a shark figure on my scooby doo or tmnt and call it jaws. This shark has zero interaction, a huge miss on the pro.
On premium, you bash the shark once and then it hides? WTF, it might as well have no shark. As one mentioned, having a underwater playfield incorporating a shark, or a shark that is a constant bash toy like deadpool, or a shark that eats a ball like JP, etc. Another huge miss.
This is not a unique machine, and the shark is a huge disappointment. Its slightly crazy how much people are going nuts for this. If this was a different manufacturer, you all would absolutely wreck this machine. Imagine if jjp or spooky put this out, everyone would say how stripped it was. Stern knows jaws will sell regarless of what they put in it due to desir and theme.
With this being said, stern has changed pinball in a good way, has made pinball a larger community, innovative with IC, and have produced fun reliable machines. I will absolutely play this machine on location, and like stern as a company. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and its nice to see people excited for their dream theme. I just feel all the anticipation and awesome theme had been a disappointment and a huge miss for the theme. Stern will print some cash on this machine, but being a cash grab is really all I see.

You're not wrong. Here on Pinside the people that see it as a grail theme will accept it understanding that there's more to the pin than a shark eating a ball. Great to add to a collection and have in the basement.

But when Joe Six Pack puts a dollar in on location because it's "Jaws" - let's see what cool things it does, he'll walk away disappointed.

#3089 3 months ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Complaining that Grogu doesn’t move.

#3090 3 months ago

We shall survive this! Baby Yoda/Grogu didn’t move until mod makers made it so. Godzilla doesn’t move. I think somebody made it move its head? I’m ok with the shark moving up and not eating anything.

Hell baby Grogu ate a lot of shit in Mandalorian shows and I think Godzilla bites and eats a lot of shit as well in movies. Nobody ever said how come Grogu doesn’t eat a ball like a frog egg and nobody ever said hey how come Godzilla doesn’t eat the ball. We will get through this guys.

#3091 3 months ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

But does Godzilla eat the ball?

#3092 3 months ago

Game does look fun. I can't wait to play it. One knock and it may seem silly is that center of the playfield looks ridiculous having only 2 of the 3 characters involved in taking down Jaws. How does Name, Likeness, and Image work these days when it comes to having your image on a licensed game like this? Does the Roy Scheider estate have the ultimate say-so on this matter even when its under the umbrella of this license? It seems like Universal would "own" his likeness in the context of Jaws. Does Stern have to pay the estates of each of the deceased actors and Richard Dreyfuss directly and were they simply not able to come to terms with the Scheider estate?

#3093 3 months ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Can’t stand all the negativity on this site. People complaining about things in a new game. Do you not like pinball? Do you want these companies to fold up and not make any new games at all? These companies are making new games for people to flip and enjoy. Yes they are expensive but no one says you have to buy it. Play it on location like it has always been or get another hobby.

Yup, and if I don't buy a particular title, chances are a friend near me will. Win win

#3094 3 months ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

man Stern can't win.
No calls outs from the cast - IT SUCKS
RD Does them - HE IS AN OLD FUCKER AND HE SUCKS.
what do you want? Maybe we can use the Time Machine in DP's BTTF!

I'm excited about this as well don't take what I mentioned about RD call outs in the "complaint" department. It's just his personal acting style that lends him to "I can do the best 1974 RD impression around!" instead of...maybe what the director wanted. Not saying they were not happy with his work or anything like that, just saying that this was going to be all that was available here.

#3095 3 months ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

Dam it's hard to keep up with this thread. Maybe just time we all take a little break
[quoted image]

True story: Robert Shaw had just done the take in which the shark eats him. He's screaming, bites the pack of chocolate sauce (aka fake blood) in his mouth, goes under the water when the shark drags him off the boat in his mouth, etc.

Spielberg goes: "I'm sorry but we have to shoot that again."

Shaw's like: you're kidding right?

Spielberg apologizes. Has to be done again.

Shaw did it again.

When you watch that scene, pay attention to how committed Shaw was to it. He did not "mail it in" at all. Very believable.

#3096 3 months ago
Quoted from Bmanpin:

Hell baby Grogu ate a lot of shit in Mandalorian shows and I think Godzilla bites and eats a lot of shit as well in movies.

I think every living creature eats things... you know what, now I'm rethinking this whole freaking pinball industry.

Not the people behind Rudy though, you guys f*cking rock.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3097 3 months ago

Stern Insider Connected Idea:
If you play BM66 and then Sharks, you get a Shark Repellant Bonus Mode!

#3098 3 months ago

Game looks fun to play. All 3 models are cool. A theme people waited for decades. It's an Elwin. And yet people keep whining.

#3099 3 months ago
Quoted from BeachPickle:Since it appears people are still gnashing teeth about the shark not gobbling your balls, if you are curious about how that would work, I created some PROFESSIONAL mockups of how that could be achieved if you look at my post history in this thread. I also made a promo poster for the occasion, which I will repost here incase you missed it during the scuttle of the promo release.
[quoted image]

Get gomez on the horn, i think ur creativity needs to be recognized.

#3100 3 months ago
Quoted from insight75:

Setting it on "Pepsi Free Play" is a solid sponsorship opportunity.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
JAWS (PREMIUM) Pre-order!
The Pinball Place

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 185.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Reflex Mods

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Wood Dale, IL
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 36.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 42.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Other
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 26.50
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Scottsdale, AZ
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 25.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Richmond, VA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 32.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 89.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Reflex Mods

14,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 9,699.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

There are 7,364 posts in this topic. You are on page 62 of 148.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dah-dumjaws-hype-thread/page/62?hl=delt31 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.