(Topic ID: 255725)

Comet vs Titan vs Ablaze LED's

By rdrapeau3171

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1189 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1190 (resized).jpg
    412C9227-D80E-4F84-A5A9-EFBA2EA5680A.jpeg
    01C8C73E-32F5-40C8-BE55-7E8E5E99452D.jpeg
    20191117_175006_resized (resized).jpg
    20191107_113439 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider radial_head.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#88 3 years ago

I wanted to jump back into this thread to report back some stuff that I've noticed after trying a few of the other brands that are less talked about, specifically the Titan bulbs. One thing that the Titan bulbs do offer over the comet bulbs is a flat and concave dome that I was particularly interested in. I thought I'd try out the concave bulbs in the backbox of my Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure.

I wasn't too impressed. I'm a lighting nut and a videographer/colorist by trade, so I've got particularly high standard when it comes to color matching, but I found the Titan Warm White to be just off. Normal incandescents are around 2700k and I found that the warm White bulbs from Comet to be somewhere around the 3200K and the Titan bulbs to be somewhere around the 3600k mark. The main noticeable difference I found between Comet and Titan bulbs is that the tint is way off on the Titan bulbs. Comet bulbs have a fairly neutral tint that is very close to an incandescent, but the Titan bulbs are ~10 points leaning green which really stand out when used alongside Comet or incandescent bulbs.

Take a look at this Indy translite (an image that is notoriously orange to beat the band). The image shows incandescents on the left, and then the right side is all the Titan LEDs. Notice one that the not only is it a cooler image, but notice specifically the green tint to it compared to the rest which has a very deep red.

The concave dome has a cool light dispersion, but they don't exactly work with WPC era and previous translites. The shadow of the center of the bulb is a little too prominent. See the second image around his right cheek. They look cool under lane guides I've found, but the color is still too green tinted for me to bear looking at them. I had another set of bayonet based bulbs ages ago that I tried putting in my Wild Wild West (Gottlieb 1969) and they had the same hideous green color that was even more unpalatable there. Again, I'm not saying they're totally useless, but the green tint really look bad in my opinion.

Oh, and they flicker like crazy in the backbox. A lot more than the Comet bulbs it seems.

IMG_1189 (resized).jpgIMG_1189 (resized).jpgIMG_1190 (resized).jpgIMG_1190 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider radial_head.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/comet-vs-titan-vs-ablaze-led-s?tu=radial_head and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.