7 months ago

Topic Stats

• 87 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by jawjaw
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

412C9227-D80E-4F84-A5A9-EFBA2EA5680A.jpeg
    01C8C73E-32F5-40C8-BE55-7E8E5E99452D.jpeg
    20191117_175006_resized (resized).jpg
    20191107_113439 (resized).jpg

There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 7 months ago

I agree on yellow and orange sucking on inserts. Usually just use Comet 2 smd cool frosted.

On large red arrows I like to use Comet 4 smd reds.

Comets purple passion is the best bulb anywhere for matching purple on inserts.

#52 7 months ago

Comet.

Coingrabber's are too expensive.

#53 7 months ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

You complained that one bulb was not working? Who knew Mr Pink was into pinball?

I did not complain. I needed the bulb and let them know. They were kind enough to send for free.

#54 7 months ago

Comet Sunlight or Natural depending on the game and era. Look no further.

#55 7 months ago

What Comet lamp would be closest in brightness to the Cointaker Super? I've been happy with those in the past.

#56 7 months ago

1 SMD 5050 which means a 5 x 5 mm single Diode.

#57 7 months ago

Best Comet Led for Williams/Bally backbox conversion? One or two smd?

I have seven games and I want to convert the backboxes first. I'm guessing about 40 lamps each on average.

#58 7 months ago
    Quoted from marspinball:

I have seven games and I want to convert the backboxes first. I'm guessing about 40 lamps each on average.

I recommend frosted 1smd to disperse light. I hate seeing an LED shine through the back glass and take away from the art.

#59 7 months ago
    Quoted from marspinball:

The brighter the backbox, the more reflection on the playfield glass. I like to go with the most dim light I can stand in the backbox. Usually the one SMD or even the Retro.

#60 7 months ago

And you don't even have to fill the entire backbox usually.

#61 7 months ago

Purple and blue inserts seem to have fallen on hard times over the years. If the insert looks faded out washed out, I color match only these 2 colors.

#62 7 months ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

I recommend frosted 1smd to disperse light. I hate seeing an LED shine through the back glass and take away from the art.

Warm White Frosted 1SMD’s are great.
    01C8C73E-32F5-40C8-BE55-7E8E5E99452D.jpeg
    412C9227-D80E-4F84-A5A9-EFBA2EA5680A.jpeg

I’ll take a better picture but this is an example of mixing 3 different types. I had to leave out some bulbs switching from incandescent to 1SMD (LEDs) because they throw light MUCH better.

The LEDs in the second picture would DEFINITELY surprise you. They’re not where you’d think.

#63 7 months ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Warm White Frosted 1SMD’s are great.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    I’ll take a better picture but this is an example of mixing 3 different types. I had to leave out some bulbs switching from incandescent to 1SMD (LEDs) because they throw light MUCH better.
    The LEDs in the second picture would DEFINITELY surprise you. They’re not where you’d think.

Have you tried bright white 2 smds behind the stadium lights? I think it would mimic real stadium lights and look great.

#64 7 months ago

First of all, let me say we're truly humbled by all of the support and kind words in this thread. It totally made my day when I came across this!

I haven't been quite as quick to respond on Pinside lately, and it seems like by the time I find something, a dozen people have already jumped in to give great suggestions and advice...and I often learn new stuff in the process. A million thanks to everyone who has taken the time to recommend our products or help out other fellow pinheads with lighting questions. We have a large selection, so it can be a little overwhelming at first, but it gets easy once you learn a few things.

For the last 2.5 years, nearly all of the customer service magic can be attributed to Greg. He has really become an expert on knowing what works and what doesn't, and strives to make sure the orders are getting out quickly, correctly, and with working product - and fixes anything ASAP when something goes wrong. We're extremely lucky to have him. If you email us (hello@cometpinball.com), he's the one who will reply (unless I'm covering for him).

Quoted from MikeS:

My only request of Comet would be that it would be nice if you could identify the temperature of white on the bulb without having to plug them in or keep them in their separate baggies.

We're looking into this and might be able to make it happen at some point.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

Orange and yellow inserts aren't worthwhile to color match. I color match pretty much everything else, though.

We color match inserts in our kits (and I do in my person machines). I do warm white bulbs for yellow inserts, pink bulbs for orange, and everything else is as you'd expect. Orange inserts are the hardest, as there seem to be many different shades of it used over time. I think warm white or pink under orange inserts is the most accurate (as compared to using yellow or orange bulbs).

Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Comets purple passion is the best bulb anywhere for matching purple on inserts.

Purple and blue are the two inserts that get the biggest boost from colored leds IMO. Blues can be tricky sometimes as there are different shades. We've started experimenting with Teal (formerly known as Cyan) for the mid 90s Williams games with lots of "blue" inserts...like those that snake up the TOTAN playfield, or the AFM Rule the Universe objective inserts. We've also got Ice Blue, which is a bit lighter and more pale.

Quoted from Shredso:

What Comet lamp would be closest in brightness to the Cointaker Super? I've been happy with those in the past.

The equivalent is our 1SMD bulb: https://www.cometpinball.com/products/1smd-bulbs It should be the same brightness, and we've got three lens options: clear, frosted, or none.

Quoted from marspinball:

I agree with daditude, I'd use 1SMD frosted. You'll get less spotting and reflection on the glass with 1SMD than you would with 2SMD. I haven't done Retros in any of my backboxes yet, but those would probably be good too. I wouldn't use the tall (bullet) ones. I think the most important thing with backglasses is to to use frosted. You really want to disperse the light as evenly as possible. Use mostly white, and if you want special coloring, consider a clear lens or a flex to really focus the color on a particular spot.

I'd give that same advice for a backbox of any manufacturer/era.

Quoted from Daditude:

Have you tried bright white 2 smds behind the stadium lights? I think it would mimic real stadium lights and look great.

I'd try clear bulbs, or a flex...or depending on the positioning of the sockets, maybe even use a lighting strip (trimmed to the exact length).

Truly, thanks again for everyone who has chimed in. This thread is borderline embarrassingly supportive, and serves as extra incentive for us to keep doing our thing.

#65 7 months ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

pink bulbs for orange

Really? I would not have expected to hear that. Interesting.

#66 7 months ago

100% Comet. Here are 70 replies on why Comet is best along with my experience 4 months ago. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/comet-leds-are-better-here-is-why-they-all-work

#67 7 months ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Really? I would not have expected to hear that. Interesting.

I know, totally unexpected, right? Give it a try sometime. It works quite well.

Quoted from sataneatscheese:

100% Comet. Here are 70 replies on why Comet is best along with my experience 4 months ago. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/comet-leds-are-better-here-is-why-they-all-work

#68 7 months ago

Green looks good thru yellow surprisingly. I used Comet green 2smd on the yellow inserts on my funhouse clock and got lots of compliments.

On Gorgar and Flash I used comet 4 smd under all the inserts and looked really sharp. No spotting or ghosting.

Although I don't recommend putting color in the GI anymore use Comets faceted lens. They throw the color a little further and have a cool pattern. The white faceted work well if you don't have frosted whites available.

#69 7 months ago

So what's been the pricing discount for the Black Friday sale at Comet?

#70 7 months ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

So what's been the pricing discount for the Black Friday sale at Comet?

70% off, tell everyone!

EDIT: (or 20-30%...whichever comes first)

#71 7 months ago

I heard it was going to be 105% off

#72 7 months ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

70% off, tell everyone!

70% are for genuine VFW Led's only at the Fall event.

#73 7 months ago

I suggest someone make LED flashers that don’t blind you. A minimal LED Flasher seems to be nonexistent. Comet to the rescue?

#74 7 months ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

70% off, tell everyone!

Yeah, it's in the 20-30% range.

We have settled into a groove of always doing 2SMDs and 8SMD flashers, plus a 4 or 5 other products (that hopefully people won't buy by the hundreds)!

Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Green looks good thru yellow surprisingly. I used Comet green 2smd on the yellow inserts on my funhouse clock and got lots of compliments.

I've never heard of this before, but even though we only have two games in the office, coincidentally one of them is Funhouse so we can test it out!

Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Although I don't recommend putting color in the GI anymore

You cannot go wrong with all white. For people who are tempted to use colors, I would recommend starting with all white, and then trying out a few colors in select spots to see what you think. It's probably even better if those colors are flexes or other specialty bulbs where you can get a very particular effect (as opposed to bathing an area in some non-white color).

Quoted from PinRob:

I suggest someone make LED flashers that don’t blind you. A minimal LED Flasher seems to be nonexistent. Comet to the rescue?

For now, the 5SMD flashers are the dimmest we have. I don't want to make any promises, but we're working on samples of a dimmer flasher (thanks to this thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-to-use-to-diffuse-led-flashers). My dirty secret is that I generally just leave the flashers as incandescent on older games I buy. On newer games (with factory LEDs), I turn down flasher brightness in the menu. I'm a player first and foremost, so I don't want to be blinded into losing the ball.

#75 7 months ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

My dirty secret is that I generally just leave the flashers as incandescent on older games I buy. On newer games (with factory LEDs), I turn down flasher brightness in the menu. I'm a player first and foremost, so I don't want to be blinded into losing the ball.

Could you get a flasher with a frosted dome on it?

#76 7 months ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

Could you get a flasher with a frosted dome on it?

If there were a dimmer flasher, would it still need to be diffused? All flashers already sit under a dome (or a playfield insert). I suspect the main reason they're too harsh is because the standard flashers are 8SMDs, which is many times brighter than an incandescent flasher. (Well, and they turn on and off more quickly than incandescents).

#77 7 months ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

All flashers already sit under a dome (or a playfield insert)

I have a few games where flashers are exposed or minimally covered. The flashers under the ramps of Gottlieb Genesis are one example where flashers are exceedingly bright.

#78 7 months ago

Comet is my go to for LEDs, although I strongly support Titan for all my rings. The Comet product line beyond just playfield bulbs is great, and I use their Matrix products with all the mods I make and sell. It seems I am counter to may others here, but my preference is cool white for my GI (frosted domes), and for inserts I prefer the 4 SMD non-domed bulbs for their brightness (I also use the flex 1 and 2 SMD versions where needed). For some colors I do color match inserts (reds, greens, dark blues), for others I use cool white (clears, yellows, cyans), and for others I use warm white (ambers, oranges). For backbox I also tend to like the 4 SMD non domed, but they are bright (nothing wrong with frosted domes in the backbox), and I do tastefully color some of these with white still being the dominant color.

Finally, I love Comet’s 18 SMD flashers. They shock the senses when they fire, and I have a mix of colors in games based upon the coloring of surrounding artwork. Others will prefer white only, and much dimmer flashers.

In the end, I highly suggest you order an assortment of colors and types from Comet to see what you prefer. You probably wouldn’t need to spend more than $20 or so to get a good sampling. Oh, I also ALWAYS order the non-ghosting version of the bulbs for GI and inserts. While it might not be necessary in some games, I figure why take the risk. When I bought my JP it had all Cointaker bulbs in it. Many were dim, but the insert ghosting drove me nuts. I replaced everything with new Comet non-ghosting bulbs, and now all is right with the world again.

I should also say that beyond their products, both Comet and Titan have excellent customer support. The people that run and work for these companies have a true passion for pinball. They treat others like they themselves would want to be treated, are responsive to issues and communicate well, and overall are positive and friendly people.

#79 7 months ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Comet is my go to for LEDs, although I strongly support Titan for all my rings. The Comet product line beyond just playfield bulbs is great, and I use their Matrix products with all the mods I make and sell. It seems I am counter to may others here, but my preference is cool white for my GI (frosted domes), and for inserts I prefer the 4 SMD non-domed bulbs for their brightness (I also use the flex 1 and 2 SMD versions where needed). For some colors I do color match inserts (reds, greens, dark blues), for others I use cool white (clears, yellows, cyans), and for others I use warm white (ambers, oranges). For backbox I also tend to like the 4 SMD non domed, but they are bright (nothing wrong with frosted domes in the backbox), and I do tastefully color some of these with white still being the dominant color.
    Finally, I love Comet’s 18 SMD flashers. They shock the senses when they fire, and I have a mix of colors in games based upon the coloring of surrounding artwork. Others will prefer white only, and much dimmer flashers.
    In the end, I highly suggest you order an assortment of colors and types from Comet to see what you prefer. You probably wouldn’t need to spend more than $20 or so to get a good sampling. Oh, I also ALWAYS order the non-ghosting version of the bulbs for GI and inserts. While it might not be necessary in some games, I figure why take the risk. When I bought my JP it had all Cointaker bulbs in it. Many were dim, but the insert ghosting drove me nuts. I replaced everything with new Comet non-ghosting bulbs, and now all is right with the world again.
    I should also say that beyond their products, both Comet and Titan have excellent customer support. The people that run and work for these companies have a true passion for pinball. They treat others like they themselves would want to be treated, are responsive to issues and communicate well, and overall are positive and friendly people.

Dang, I would go blind with 4smd inserts and 18smd flashers. My recommendation is 1smd clear lens or flex in inserts, 2smd frosted lens for gi, and 5smd flashers. Plenty bright. I totally agree on getting an assortment of bulbs to experiment with to see what you like if unsure. In most cases, color matching with warm white for orange/yellow inserts works best. I used to be a fan of cool white but sunlight is my choice now. It adds a little warmth to the lighting without being too yellow.

I'm also a big fan of Comet's Matrix line. Cheap and easy to add lighting. Everything is on connectors so no soldering and easy to disconnect when working on the game. You can also get a dimmer which is perfect for dialing in the brightness.

#80 7 months ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I absolutely agree.
    For every "keeper" pinball, I have 3 things I will always buy: comet LEDs, titan competition rings, and a NVRAM chip.

#81 7 months ago

I think the differences in White choices, bulb brightness, and flashers is partially based on room lighting, but more so on our age and eyes.
    I have games I did 8-9 years ago, that were fine then, but now Ive had to change them out to softer
    lighting.
    Ryan, Janet and Comet are doing an outstanding Job from your posts, and this makes me happy, as well as Matrix still being Enjoyed.....Keep up the great Work!

#82 7 months ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

Dang, I would go blind with 4smd inserts and 18smd flashers.

Guys are killing me with the 2SMD for GI lamps or backglass! I rarely use 2SMD for anything but maybe inserts I want to pop a little because they are important. 4SMD are even more rare for me to use, the jackpot arrow in Secret Service is the only spot I can think offhand where I have used one.

Flashers? I love me some 8SMD flashers though.

#83 7 months ago

If using frosted, 2smd are fine. I can’t remember the last time I bought a clear lens bulb.

#84 7 months ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

If using frosted, 2smd are fine. I can’t remember the last time I bought a clear lens bulb.

Must be the last time I tried the old style retro bulbs...like 7 years ago?

#85 7 months ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Must be the last time I tried the old style retro bulbs...like 7 years ago?

At least 5 years for me.

#86 7 months ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I enjoy using them as a playfield GI bulb and inserts depending on location and desired effect.

#87 7 months ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

Guys are killing me with the 2SMD for GI lamps or backglass! I rarely use 2SMD for anything but maybe inserts I want to pop a little because they are important. 4SMD are even more rare for me to use, the jackpot arrow in Secret Service is the only spot I can think offhand where I have used one.
    Flashers? I love me some 8SMD flashers though.

2smd are just 20% brighter or something like that. Most games are pretty dark and gi bulbs hidden so a little extra lighting helps. If a bulb is more visible to player, I will use 1smd or maybe a flex to aim away from player. For backbox, I rarely use anything brighter than 1smd. Some games have a ton of bulbs so I will not even use all the sockets. Big inserts benefit from a 2smd or even a dual head flex. I love the flex bulbs. They can be used for all kinds of things. One great use is for spotlights where space is limited. You can mount the socket any which way, keep it hidden, and aim the light where it needs to go.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7.00
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 79.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 27.50
    $ 92.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    € 50.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Creo Pinball
    $ 9,000.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Iron Monger Decal Out of stock
    Flashinstinct
    $ 8.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Pinball Haus
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 2.50
    Various Other Swag
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 50.00
    $ 154.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside