(Topic ID: 202290)

Coin door problem, 6.3v problem coming out from power supply, related?

By CoOlSlY

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by CoOlSlY
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20171111_123208 (resized).png
    Untitled (resized).png
    switch2 (resized).jpg
    switch1 (resized).jpg
    15102737318891527131375 (resized).jpg
    20171109_152725 (resized).jpg
    untitled (resized).JPG
    untitled (resized).JPG
    DSCN0797 (resized).JPG
    untitled (resized).JPG
    20170807_113036 (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

Model: Williams Hurricane Pinball 12835 power supply.

My "test/config" button was not working on my coin door. Is it related or not, I dunno. I found out that it was connected on the 6.3v J119 connector on the power board. I tested the connector and:

J119:
    Pin 1: 6.3v
    Pin 3: 1.0v uh oh, supposed to have 6.3v

Came back to the coin door interface J2:
    Pin 2: 1v uh oh but make sense

Went to see where J119 was getting his power from and it's from J115 on the power board which itself gets his power directly from the transformer/ps... The J115 12pins connector is separated in two connector of 6 pins each on my pinball. Pins 12-11-10-9-8-7 gives 0v and pins 6 to 2 gives 6.3v or so.

My question: How can I test this 9 pins connector from the transformer with the yellow wires? I mean, I have VERY basic knowledge of how to test and I tried to test any of the pins on the 9 pins connector on the transformer by grounding myself on the frame of the pinball, I have a reading of 0v on all of them but pins 6 to 2 works so for sure i'm not testing properly

Thanks!

20170807_113036 (resized).jpg20170807_113036 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

Yeah, you can't test AC like that, as you need to go ACROSS the transformer secondary coil. From the WPC manual you can see that here. Putting a probe on pin 1 with meter set to AC, put the other probe on pin 3,6,9, or 5 (they are all tied to the common point on the other side of the transformer winding) you should see a measurement of your transformer secondary AC. Make some sense?

The diagram below gives an idea, its from the WPC schematics manual, but appears a little different that your transformer setup.

untitled (resized).JPGuntitled (resized).JPG

#3 6 years ago

The first "beginner" question is: How can I know on this square connector which one is pin 1 on the 9 pins connector?

Also read this from a website:
    The output connections. these are the same across all machines. The two pin connector with purple wires is the 100V AC DMD supply. The square connector provides 6.3VAC for GI.
    Note the yellowing, caused by pins becoming dirty and overheating. The largest connector carries all other voltages. Although it has nine pins, the GI connector only has the one voltage: the windings are connected in parallel, and the extra pins and wires help carry the GI currents.

Thanks a lot

DSCN0797 (resized).JPGDSCN0797 (resized).JPG

#4 6 years ago

Get a bright light, and look at the side with the wires entering it. There will be very small markings in the plastic with the pin numbers.

#5 6 years ago

OK, so pin 1, if I put it with pins 3-5-6-9, I have a proper reading now (about 7v) (the other pins indicates nothing). How can I go ahead and test the remaining ones? And if the remaining are good, that means it would be the upper connector or the ground at J115?

You guys are of great help, thank's.

#6 6 years ago

You are looking at the wrong thing for your coin door switches. If your coin door lamps are working then the GI voltage
    of 6.3V is getting to where it belongs. You can measure the GI voltage setting your meter to AC at the lamp sockets on the coin door.

If you review your switch matrix table, you will find the wire colors, connectors and pin number associated with your
    coin door switches. First verify that your switches are functioning correctly then you need to run a continuity test between the coin door switch lugs and the associated connector in the head.

I would leave your transformer alone as it isn't associated with your problem.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from minnesota13:

You are looking at the wrong thing for your coin door switches. If your coin door lamps are working then the GI voltage
    of 6.3V is getting to where it belongs. You can measure the GI voltage setting your meter to AC at the lamp sockets on the coin door.
    If you review your switch matrix table, you will find the wire colors, connectors and pin number associated with your
    coin door switches. First verify that your switches are functioning correctly then you need to run a continuity test between the coin door switch lugs and the associated connector in the head.
    I would leave your transformer alone as it isn't associated with your problem.

Considering this (that on J2, I don't have on pin 1 and 2 6.3v but only on one of them (?), I would think I still have a problem getting the proper voltage to the card:

J119:
    Pin 3: 1.0v uh oh, supposed to have 6.3v
    Came back to the coin door interface J2:
    Pin 2: 1v uh oh but make sense

Went to see where J119 was getting his power from and it's from J115 on the power board which itself gets his power directly from the transformer/ps... The J115 12pins connector is separated in two connector of 6 pins each on my pinball. Pins 12-11-10-9-8-7 gives 0v and pins 6 to 2 gives 6.3v or so.

Everything works on the coin door except that I can't enter the menu. The button is working (I mean when I push on it I have continuity and can follow it and test it on J3) and the switch is "working", by this I mean when I test it or test another switch, I can see it works but it's not doing what it's supposed, there's no effect when I open the door and it doesn't let me go into test mode and read somewhere it's linked to a safety features that prohibits entering the test menu if the door is close (when it's actually open)

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from CoOlSlY:

Considering this (that on J2, I don't have on pin 1 and 2 6.3v but only on one of them (?)....
    Went to see where J119 was getting his power from and it's from J115

This is GI voltage, it's only for the lamps.

Switches are in the switch matrix, see page 3-15 of the Hurricane manual - the switches connect to J6, then leave the board at J1 to be trucked over to the CPU board

#9 6 years ago

OK, but you guys are aware of the door switch that if the "CPU" doesn't detect the door is open, the test/config button doesn't work? The door switch is good but not working so kinda trying to find why there's nothing happening when opening the door. Even at J205 (can't remember the pin number), when I press the door switch, I have continuity so from there, I really think it's the door opening "sensor" that prohibit the use of the switch but how to know where this "sensor" is puzzled me, I thought the 6.3v would have been a cause because it goes to the door.

I think i'll need the repair guy, i'm not comfortable enough in electricity to go further and have no clue where to look anymore.

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

This is GI voltage, it's only for the lamps.
    Switches are in the switch matrix, see page 3-15 of the Hurricane manual

I've put a sticker on this page!
    J119 pin 3 - 1v J119 pin 1 - 6.3v
    J2 pin 2 - 1v J2 pin 1 - 6.3v

I will need to document more since I tested the door switch, where it was going in J1 and J3 and then J205 but there's still something preventing it to trigger that the door is open sigh

#11 6 years ago

The switch in question is the memory protect (#22 in the matrix "Coin Door Closed") GRN/RED col 2 wire in diagram below J6-6

#12 6 years ago

OK, I just saw the START button illuminate but not the 2 coins insert so I guess for this problem it's the 6.3v not coming in properly.

And the other problem is the fact the machine doesn't know when the door is open or close which I don't understand how to test it either so I will call a service guy, thank's for all your help, it's just beyond my knowledge on how to test this GRN/RED J6-6 and the transformer.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from CoOlSlY:

OK, I just saw the START button illuminate but not the 2 coins insert so I guess for this problem it's the 6.3v not coming in properly.
    And the other problem is the fact the machine doesn't know when the door is open or close which I don't understand how to test it either so I will call a service guy, thank's for all your help, it's just beyond my knowledge on how to test this GRN/RED J6-6 and the transformer.

Well, as Clint said "Man's got to know his limitations"

#14 6 years ago

Last step I will perform is to remove the power driver board and look underneath because for the door illumination, the connector J115, i've been able to get 6.3v everywhere and it goes to what I see directly to J119 but pin 3 of J119 even testing without the connector, I have 1v on this pin so maybe something behind the board.

For the system not seeing the open door, I will need the repair guy!

#15 6 years ago

Before giving up... For the coin door lighting which seems to be the easy part... I get 0v (well 1v) out of pin 3 from J119 (who goes to the coin door board).

In the picture attached, if I put one of my tester lead on the Q12 first pin and the J115 ground, should I get ~6.3v? Same question but if I take J115 with one lead on J115 pin #12 and J115 pin #1, should I also get ~6.3v?

20171109_152725 (resized).jpg20171109_152725 (resized).jpg

#16 6 years ago

No.
    You're testing the same side of the circuit there. GI is AC.
    You need to check voltage between pins 1 and 3 on J119.
    Then, pins 3 and F106.
    Then, pins 2 and 12 on J115.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

No.
    You're testing the same side of the circuit there. GI is AC.
    You need to check voltage between pins 1 and 3 on J119.
    Then, pins 3 and F106.
    Then, pins 2 and 12 on J115.

lol, okkkk. Didn't thought I have to put together pin 1 and 3 on J119 If I test them separately using a ground + pin 1 I have 6.3 and pin 3 0v

But, tested what you said:
    Pin 1+3 J119 = 5v
    Pin 3 and F106 (tested both ends of fuse) = 6.3v on each side
    Pin 2 and 12 on J115 = 6.3v

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

The switch in question is the memory protect (#22 in the matrix "Coin Door Closed") GRN/RED col 2 wire in diagram below J6-6

I see on page 3-15 the diagram but where ie the #22 Coin door closed matrix?! Gathering the more info I could

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from CoOlSlY:

I see on page 3-15 the diagram but where ie the #22 Coin door closed matrix?! Gathering the more info I could

Pg 3-19

#20 6 years ago

My last page is 3-18! Is it the last page 3-19?? My manual is original green hurricane manual, sad I miss a few pages! Can you put the picture for me of 3-19, I downloaded one and also ends at 3-18

I can now ask for more help because: the open switch works because if I press the button and try to change the volume it says "open coin door to use buttons".

Now the credit button vol up and down works. With my neighbour tested the button 4 for continuity:
    j3-11 to j1-8 to j205-9 - continuity
    Tested j6-6 to j3-12 to j1-7 to j212-2 - continuity

Also tried to short the two pins on the fourth button and nothing happens. Should I try shorting directly on the coin door interface board? If yes, which pins?

15102737318891527131375 (resized).jpg15102737318891527131375 (resized).jpg

#21 6 years ago

Go pull the PDF from IPDB.

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

Go pull the PDF from IPDB.

OK, looks like 3-19 is the last page of the manual, just no page number. If it's numbered its not in my manual nor the ipdb manual.

#23 6 years ago

Pg 3-18 is numbered, the next page 3-19 has no number on it, just the lamp and switch matrix diagrams. The switch matrix chart is the bottom one. It's right there in the picture you posted. There's just a couple extra pages on IPDB digital copy online of manual addendments

http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/1257/Williams_1991_Hurricane_Manual.pdf

switch1 (resized).jpgswitch1 (resized).jpg

#24 6 years ago

Using the table, find the switch and determine the row and column. There is the information on the wire colors and connector pins that are used to determine switch closures. Grounding the appropriate row and column signals the MPU of the switch closure.

switch2 (resized).jpgswitch2 (resized).jpg

#25 6 years ago

Finally been able to go further in testings:

The 6.3v problem: It comes to the coin door board but not at the door so some wire testing is one the way (on any of the lamps, no voltage) so this will be solved soon.

The 4th button (enter/test) not working: Still on the way but need some help:
    CPU Board, J205 pin 10 (switch ground) + J205 pin 9 on 12v DC, it's at 12v and when pressing the button, it drops to 0. After that, where to look?

Also, the SCHEMATIC for the CPU board (not the part list 2-7) for the Hurricane, haven't been able to find it if anybody have a link. I found one for the Getaway Highspeed 2 pinball.

Thank's

#27 6 years ago

I had this document already but is seems to not be an exact match to the connectors I seem to have (J205 I have 10 pins, the schem has 9 for example)

Any idea wayout440 for where to look after I checked on the CPU board that the switch really activates? I've been able to have help from an electrician friend over the phone to test everything

#28 6 years ago

Door bulbs are back online

Just need to solve my 4th button that is not working now

#30 6 years ago

Nice, this site is so great with all the infos! I only have a DMM... Determined it's on the MPU.

Tested the diode, I have continuity.
    Tested J205-9 (4th switch) + U16-5... I read 0v, than 12v when pressing the switch. If I put my DMM on u16-5 + ground I still have 12v... <¬¬¬ as per the docs, it would tell the lm339 is compromised...
    Tested j205-9 + U15-8, I read 6v and when U15-8, I read 5v.

So either a bad lm339 or diode/resistor or board Trace? I took pictures of the board and everything looks ok can I switch one lm339 for the other lm339 for testing purposes?

#31 6 years ago

J205 pin 9 doesn't match what I have for schematics for the direct switches. Pin 9 goes nowhere.

Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

J205 pin 9 doesn't match what I have for schematics for the dedicated switches. Pin 9 goes nowhere.

This is what I have in my manual at 3-15 and testing j205-9 together with u16-5 without pressing the button = 0v and when pressing it 12v

20171111_123208 (resized).png20171111_123208 (resized).png

#33 6 years ago

Ah, yes - I think I need the WPC-89 schematics and I don't see those online.

I would ohm from the connector, to the diodes cathode and then from the diode to the resistor. Check resistor and diode. This confirms the trace isn't damaged anywhere. Then try swapping the LM339s

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Ah, yes - I think I need the WPC-89 schematics and I don't see those online.
    I would ohm from the connector, to the diodes cathode and then from the diode to the resistor. Check resistor and diode. This confirms the trace isn't damaged anywhere. Then try swapping the LM339s

Is there a way I could get the appropriate CPU board diagram for the Hurricane pinball? I tried to find it everywhere but just come with one that is not the one from my Hurricane Pinball and the connectors don't even have the same number of pins and the reference to the chips pin is not the same too.

Thank you

#35 6 years ago

ALMOST to the point to have the problem solved!!!

Tested from 209-9 to diode and diode to resistor... The final result is the following:
    209-9 to diode, beep, button pushed or not
    Diode to resistor is the nice part, no result *EXCEPT* that if I push my 4th button, it now enters the setup so we know now it's from the diode to the resistor...

I know by soldering a little cable from diode to resistor (as the shop who fixed it before I got the game did) would solve the problem. Is it the proper way to do it, probably not, what would be the problem if doing this test works?

#36 6 years ago

Good job!

Jumper wires are fine in most cases, when installed to IPC specifications. There are other methods if you can locate the exact break.

https://www.ipc.org/4.0_Knowledge/4.1_Standards/7721Change%201.pdf

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Good job!
    Jumper wires are fine in most cases, when installed to IPC specifications. There are other methods if you can locate the exact break.
    https://www.ipc.org/4.0_Knowledge/4.1_Standards/7721Change%201.pdf

Plain and simple: No, you good job. I would *NEVER* have been able to get there without your help (for diode/resistor/j209). Thank's for everything, I will report soon.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/coin-door-problem-63v-problem-coming-out-from-power-supply-related and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.