(Topic ID: 10891)

Cliffys on my TAF stick up slightly> mylar to smooth transition?

By Whysnow

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

I just got done putting a full set of cliffys on my TAF and I noticed that mainly for the swamp the cliffy edge sticks up just slightly enough to impact ball movement (a slow moving ball that would have previously dropped into the swamp now does not).

Do people put a strip of mylar down to ease the transition? If so, what brand is best? where to get it from? any tips?

thanks in advance!

#2 12 years ago

Is there a lot of wear under the protector? If there is a significant space under it, it won't sit entirely flush because of the negative space and the eventual denting into that space. I always back fill my hole wear with wood epoxy and sand it level with the PF, then install then protector with the proper amount of backing under it to support it and keep the edges flush.

#3 12 years ago

There is NO wear at all on the swamp. I put them on just to protect it from wear.

It just seems like the thin edge of the Cliffy is enough to change ball movement ever so slightly.

#4 12 years ago

Mylar will just make it worse

#5 12 years ago

Doh'

#6 12 years ago

im sure Cliffy will weigh in on this issue..

#7 12 years ago

Mine does the same thing....

#8 12 years ago

Cliffy will send you some double stick tape that should hold it down. Just send him an email, he will be glad to help, Cliff is da man!!

#9 12 years ago

It shouldn't be lifting at all and I hope they are not. Mostly when this happens it's due to overtightened posts. Now, of course, even when perfectly flat and flush my protectors are going to be .010" above the playfield. Your average ramp entrance flap is .007". You can transition mylar up to my protectors edge with 2 to 5 mil adhesive mylar or Mark Clayton's vinyl. This will sort of ramp the ball up super gently.

I must say, however, that it would take an incredibly slow rolling ball to be deflected by a .010" thick (Hyperthin, I cakll them) protector Some of you here may remember my first and second generation hole protectors which I made from 24 gauge, .026" thick! Honestly I heard very very few complaints about deflection when they were almost 3 times thicker

#10 12 years ago

I need to look at mine, it must be lifting, there is no way that 0.010" would do what I am seeing. It really isn't a bother at all because I usually hit (or overshoot) the skill shot, so the ball never falls back into the swamp. I only see it occasionally when guests are playing.

BTW Cliffy, I need to get a protector for my TZ on the rollover switch slot; where the ball drops into the inlane from the wireform. Where can I buy one of these?

#11 12 years ago

I will back off the posts another half turn and see if that helps take out the 'bow'.

Likely just my noob mistake...

Thanks Cliffy!

#12 12 years ago

On occasions I've done what Cliffy said and ramped up thin mylar strips to the edges of protectors where I thought it was needed and it worked great!

On a lot of pins I've worked on, previous owners (or the factory) has over tightened posts and dented the playfield under the post. I'll place something in the divot to level the area under the post with the playfield and that helps the Cliffy lay flat as intended.

Nice to see you on the Pinside forums Cliffy, and as always, thanks for the great products.

That reminds me, I need to order some stuff for the TOM I just picked up

#13 12 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

Nice to see you on the Pinside forums Cliffy, and as always, thanks for the great products.
That reminds me, I need to order some stuff for the TOM I just picked up

Thanks Jeff. I've been on here for many years but as with all things I have to spread what little spare time I have fairly thin. Like buttah
ToM? Nice. Lemme know whatcha need

#14 12 years ago
Quoted from Buschjs:

I need to get a protector for my TZ on the rollover switch slot; where the ball drops into the inlane from the wireform. Where can I buy one of these?

I know I have seen them in the past on different sites but can't find it now for some reason. Only thing I found was the custom cut mylar pieces for TZ from Pinbits.

http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_2&products_id=374

#15 12 years ago
Quoted from Buschjs:

BTW Cliffy, I need to get a protector for my TZ on the rollover switch slot; where the ball drops into the inlane from the wireform. Where can I buy one of these?

You may get one from me or my distribs. BAA and MAD tend to stcok them more than my other distribs so check with them first. In UK/Europe Pinball Heaven seems to stock them more than other distribs over there.

Folks, when you want something your favorite parts dealer doesn't have you simply need to email and ask them to carry it. Trust me, they all WANT to hear what things you need! None of them want to stock parts that are not needed but the only way they know is when you tell/ask them

#16 12 years ago

I have seen them too, my TAF has one.... but I can't find a place that has them advertised.

#17 12 years ago

I have similar issues with protectors on my LoTR and RFM and just lived with it. They start to lift where the adhesive part is. Just seems to lose its stick shortly after install. I may have had playfield wax under at the time I installed them. Anyway, I may try the mylar trick on mine to see if that helps.

#18 12 years ago
Quoted from Buschjs:

I just ordered some from MAD. Mine was starting to show some sings of impact wear there so I wanted to prevent further damage. I was suprised that I had a difficult time finding them.

http://mad-amusements.com/product.php?id_product=1547

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1,059.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cliffys-on-my-taf-stick-up-slightly-mylar-to-smooth-transition and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.