You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pinside.f9df950744caf9b08cf86e6553c8fcd6d28552fa (resized).jpg
20231226_181605 (resized).jpg
20231226_180716 (resized).jpg
#1 4 months ago

Sp the lower playfield L19 captive hole arrow lights are not lighting up.

I had this issue with the old boards and found a bad trace to the A3J3-15 to the connector pin. Was hoping the Pascal board/ brand new major connectors I was already planning in putting in would solve this.

With the new connectors and Pascal board everything works great except these L19 lamps.

I now have a steady ~6V to the L19 (constant, not just when they're supposed to light) lamps but they're ghosting and even in test won't light up fully.

I unsoldered the purple-purple-brown wire to the lamps and jumped power over from the L20 arrow lights. Like this the L19 lamps don't ghost and light up full brightness wiheb the L20 lamps flash. This tells me my return, sockets, and bulbs are all working properly. I also confirmed continuity all the way back the A3J3 connector.

I'm still waiting to hear back from Pascal since I feel it must be an issue in the new board.

Anyone have any insight? This is literally the last issue (for now) I'm having. Thanks!

20231226_180716 (resized).jpg20231226_180716 (resized).jpg20231226_181605 (resized).jpg20231226_181605 (resized).jpg
#2 4 months ago

Looks like a broken wire on the daisy chain between the 3 sockets
pinside.f9df950744caf9b08cf86e6553c8fcd6d28552fa (resized).jpgpinside.f9df950744caf9b08cf86e6553c8fcd6d28552fa (resized).jpg

Edit: my bad— looks like it was disconnected intentionally. Still working on my first cup of joe this morning, lol. One place I would take another look is at the wiring between the playfields and backbox. I had a wire pinched in there at some point and it didn’t cause any trouble for a while. Had a devil of a time tracking down that problem…

#3 4 months ago

I'm starting to wonder that myself. Maybe one of the zip ties is causing 2 wires to rub?

Whatever the issue it it's before the A9J6/A9P6 connector as I get the same wonky voltage readings at the plug from the board when it's disconnected. My next step is to ohm out the wires in that bundle to each other to see if any of them are shorted together.

#4 4 months ago

frunch

Ohm'd out every other wire on all the major connectors to the A3J3-15 pin. No continuity anywhere. Even did the "wiggle" test which has helped me find shorts and breaks many times when troubleshooting controls at work.

At this point I'm out of ideas and have no other guesses than a faulty transistor (Q20 on the original boards I think it would be) on the Pascal board. Going to have to wait and see what Janin says; I know he's supposed to be great with supporting his products.

#5 4 months ago
Quoted from Jpbackwards:

frunch
Ohm'd out every other wire on all the major connectors to the A3J3-15 pin. No continuity anywhere. Even did the "wiggle" test which has helped me find shorts and breaks many times when troubleshooting controls at work.
At this point I'm out of ideas and have no other guesses than a faulty transistor (Q20 on the original boards I think it would be) on the Pascal board. Going to have to wait and see what Janin says; I know he's supposed to be great with supporting his products.

Dang, that really does seem like it could be a board problem at this point. Weird that the problem has persisted between the old and new boards though. Just to clarify: is this one of their “all-in-1” boards?

#6 4 months ago

frunch

Correct, I got tired of constantly having to clean connectors and the overall condition of the original boards wasn't great. So I went all out with a Pascal board and replaced any connector going to it with one's from Docent. A lot of work but totally worth it.

It does blow my mind the L19 lamps still don't work. Unfortunately I didn't troubleshoot as much with the factory board as once I found the bad trace I figured that was it.

I did switch to LEDs but again aside from these they all work fine with no ghosting.

#7 4 months ago

There’s an important distinction to make here: the 6vdc is provided by the wire braid on the other side of those sockets—not the side where the brown/purple/purple wire attach. The wire feeding the 6vdc should be black/slate/slate (numeric code 088). That said, I don’t think you’re going to find any useful voltage measurements on the brown/purple/purple side because that’s the ground side (I’ll readily admit I don’t know that for certain, it’s the way I’m interpreting the schematics—hopefully correctly, lol!) Not sure if that will really change anything but I figured it was worth a mention.

If you want to take an additional step to rule out the wiring (I know you’re getting continuity, but sometimes continuity doesn’t tell the whole story)—I would consider running a wire directly from the L19 Sockets up to their connector at the driver board. That way you can make absolutely certain that it’s not a wiring problem and proceed accordingly. Only reason I’m even suggesting this is because it’s unlikely to have 2 boards act bad the exact same way, especially when one of them is new. Anything is possible, of course—just seems coincidental…

#8 4 months ago

frunch

By doing a home run do you mean bypassing the purple-purple-brown or the black-slate-slate?

I know the 088 wire also does the bank target lights and the L20 arrow lights basically daisy changed.

I did have a wiring issue on startup where the one plug was actually pinned differently from the factory than what the board called for and blew the small replaceable fuse until I redid it. Basically was sending 5 vdc to ground. I wonder if that also somehow cause and issue that happened to be the same L19 lamps as before.

#9 4 months ago
Quoted from Jpbackwards:

frunch
By doing a home run do you mean bypassing the purple-purple-brown or the black-slate-slate?
I know the 088 wire also does the bank target lights and the L20 arrow lights basically daisy changed.
I did have a wiring issue on startup where the one plug was actually pinned differently from the factory than what the board called for and blew the small replaceable fuse until I redid it. Basically was sending 5 vdc to ground. I wonder if that also somehow cause and issue that happened to be the same L19 lamps as before.

I'd run the wire from the socket tab where the purple/purple/brown wire connects up to the driver board connector 3J3-15 (the ground side of the circuit).

#10 4 months ago

Looks what I know what I'm doing when I get home tonight. Thanks so much for all your help dude, it's really appreciated!

#11 4 months ago

frunch

I'm almost certain it's the transistor. Ran a wire as a test to A3J3-15 pin and it does the exact same thing but when I ground it works perfectly.

Thanks for helping me feel like I got it figured out at least!

#12 4 months ago

Right on! Hopefully you're gonna have it working properly soon. Def keep us posted!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Ottawa, ON
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/black-hole-l19-lamps and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.