IMG_0001 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
20240614_120645 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_845397_243214 (resized).jpg
06 (resized).jpg
detail (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_7948301_0 (resized).jpg
#1 11 days ago

Toppers have been very controversial as of late primarily due to cost.

Personally I don't think there is a topper made that is worth the asking price.

I do like them and wouldn't mind having the BKSR topper but $$$$$$$$$ even at the original $500 asking price no way.

That being said what is your favorite topper (Not custom/self made) but one that can be bought by anyone or was stock with machine.

Here is my list. in no particular order.

BKSWR

Labyrinth

Pulp Fiction.

White Water.

POTC elite

Whirlwind

F-14 Tomcat

EVHOH

Batman 66 with bat signal

#2 11 days ago

Cactus Canyon has one of the best toppers in pinball.

#3 11 days ago

Whirlwind
BKSOR
AFMrLE
MMrLE
Fish Tales
Last Action Hero
dr Who (w/moving Dalek)
Foo Fighters (not at the price though)
Stranger Things

#4 11 days ago

The bell on Fire!

#5 11 days ago

Batman66

#6 11 days ago

CCR
PF
Whirlwind
TAF (maybe the best ever since it’s actually an extension of the backglass and not just some random thing on top of the game, plus light show that makes sense with the theme)

#7 11 days ago

POTC Elite
CCr LE
MMr
Labyrinth
BKSOR
Elvira HOH

#8 11 days ago

Quicksilver.

#9 11 days ago

Godfather. The strafing gangsters with knocker machine gun fire is awesome.

#10 11 days ago

TWD....Little did we know how GREAT a price that was....!!!

#11 11 days ago

I like my two little sirens on my heighway alien.

#12 11 days ago

I think it's hard to argue with Whirlwind as the greatest of all time (and shout out for Twister)

Simple but I love F-14's. F-14 is one of those few games that I want as blindingly bright as possible because the light show is so good.

Batman 66 spotlight is great

AFMr topper is very good

Labyrinth topper is excellent because of the callouts

BKSOR's topper justifies the game itself

#13 11 days ago

This beauty was well within my budget.

Pinside_forum_7948301_0 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_7948301_0 (resized).jpg
#14 11 days ago
detail (resized).jpgdetail (resized).jpg
#15 11 days ago
06 (resized).jpg06 (resized).jpg
#16 11 days ago

As far as original toppers, this one was just perfect IMO.

Pinside_forum_845397_243214 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_845397_243214 (resized).jpg
#17 11 days ago

Somebody had a dented folding chair on a WWF game, that was pretty good. lol

#18 11 days ago

GFCE - it is the Godfather of toppers . The attention to detail with both gangsters firing independently is epic.

EJCE is also amazing - awesome centerpiece in the collection as it affects the entire room.

#19 11 days ago

I like homemade ones

20240614_120645 (resized).jpg20240614_120645 (resized).jpg
#20 11 days ago
Quoted from Kolk1:

Thats pretty darn funny!

#21 11 days ago
Quoted from chad:

[quoted image]

wut?

Homebrew?

#22 11 days ago
Quoted from Kolk1:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#23 11 days ago

BKSOR
Whirlwind
White Water
Stranger Things

#24 11 days ago
Quoted from Eddie:

Personally I don't think there is a topper made that is worth the asking price.

I dunno.

Money spent on pinballs has different value to different people. I just delivered 5 pins to a guys house, couple of LE's couple of other machines.

He has a house worth north of 3 million. Furnishing his house with pinballs that had an additional 2k topper cost wasn't really a concern for him... he just wanted a good looking lineup.

The asking price of the toppers was well worth it for him to get a consistent look across his line-up.

And a friend of mine is absolutely obsessed with James Bond. Of course he needed his 'Bond Room' to have a James Bond Pinball with all the nice goodies... which included the factory topper. He wanted the best version of the game that Stern made, with all the Stern accessories because that's in line with what his other Bond memorbilia has. Top quality stuff, well presented, no expense spared on the quality of the pieces in his collection.

The asking price of the topper was well worth it for him.

Pinballs in your home are high end luxury goods.

Different people assign different values to the pinballs and the pinball accessories they buy, but it's all money spent lavishly on luxury.

From a 'is it worth it' perspective... well, antique jukeboxes like the 1943 Wurlitzer 1015 had expensive accessories like a 'ceiling speaker'. These luxury add on's that Wurlitzer didn't sell a lot of (because they weren't 'worth it') are now quite valuable:

ebay.com link: itm

We don't know what the future collector will value, but I suspect that from now until eternity, a pinball with the factory topper is going to have better resale value than the pinball alone... and possibly the topper will become VERY collectable.

Whether it's 'worth it', I don't know. I do know that many items prized by collectors that are willing to spend serious money are more valuable if they are 'complete with rare accessories'.

As for my favorite factory topper? I like a lot of them. I don't know of one that I don't like.

#25 11 days ago
Quoted from Kolk1:

If the game screws you with a shitty drain you grab the chair and give the machine a whack.

Is there a show em who's the boss mode?

#26 11 days ago
#27 11 days ago

I always thought Strange Science had a cool topper but I've never seen one in the wild.

#28 11 days ago

Fish Tales, Lights, Camera, Action, White Water and Bone Busters just to name a few.

John

IMG_0001 (resized).JPGIMG_0001 (resized).JPGIMG_0002 (resized).JPGIMG_0002 (resized).JPGIMG_0004 (resized).JPGIMG_0004 (resized).JPGIMG_0033 (resized).JPGIMG_0033 (resized).JPG
#29 11 days ago

Is it true that humanity has forgotten the technique used to create the effect in White Water toppers? Has the process been lost to the swift and unceasing ravages of time, like Greek Fire?

#30 11 days ago

Pinbot OG topper

#31 11 days ago

Whirlwind

#32 11 days ago
Quoted from oldbaby:

Is it true that humanity has forgotten the technique used to create the effect in White Water toppers? Has the process been lost to the swift and unceasing ravages of time, like Greek Fire?

Yes.

Added 10 days ago:

Looks like this has been finally figured out!

#33 11 days ago

Black Knight SOR
Game of thrones
KISS
Batman 66 (LE)
Elvira
Walking dead

#34 11 days ago

I vote GB. only topper to spawn close to original recreations. Flashes every time the sirens go off in the game. Perfect.

#35 11 days ago

EJCE is right there too. So freaking sweet.

#36 11 days ago

Tomcat beacons.gifTomcat beacons.gif

#37 11 days ago

Cactus remake
Monster Bash remake
Godfather CE
Elton CE
Whitewater
TWD

#38 11 days ago
Quoted from andylama:

wut?
Homebrew?

Not sure. I just Googled pinball toppers and that was a hit.

#39 11 days ago
Quoted from titanpenguin:

I vote GB. only topper to spawn close to original recreations. Flashes every time the sirens go off in the game. Perfect.

I do like a good topper that actually has functionality and goes with the theme rather than ones that are static or just repeat what is already present (looking at you DE Jurrasic Park, Batman, Hook)

Last Action Hero, Ghostbusters, Whirlwind, Twister, Godfather, Black Knight SOR, F14 , Fire are all good examples.

#40 11 days ago

The knife on Halloween is great

More toppers should use that empty space in the backbox

#41 10 days ago

EJCE, Godfather CE, Elite POTC.

Honorable mentions for Godzilla and Black Knight.

#42 10 days ago

And my absolute favorite of all time. The original topper for my Deathball 2000.

John

#43 10 days ago

Custom made Beatles topper.
Best thing of all it was less than $200.

beatles topper (2) (resized).JPGbeatles topper (2) (resized).JPGpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#44 10 days ago

i generally don't care about toppers that are added after-the-fact, but the Labyrinth topper is pretty sweet; we almost didn't get one but added it to our order the night before our game shipped and i'm glad we did. unfortunately most people haven't yet gotten a chance to see one in person and in action.

it prompted me to bug Jordan at Next Level about BK:SOR toppers, and i'll pick one of those up when he next has one in stock. glad it's on location to help offset the cost. if i could add one to my CCR SE i might do it, but i can't so oh well, money saved. still earns great.

#45 10 days ago

Rush has the best topper. Helps you a lot with just a quick glance up. Plus it is cool I think.

#46 10 days ago

Fish Tales.

#47 10 days ago

I've never been a topper guy but kind of with I'd bought the TWD one for $400, which seemed like a lot at the time. My justification for not buying was that there was already a fish tank on the playfield and on the backglass.

#48 10 days ago
Quoted from floyd1977:

I've never been a topper guy but kind of with I'd bought the TWD one for $400, which seemed like a lot at the time. My justification for not buying was that there was already a fish tank on the playfield and on the backglass.

For factory installed toppers I still love TAF.

#49 9 days ago

A lot of great ones in this thread but I’m surprised no one has mentioned the raven coming outta the cuckoo clock to taunt you on Munsters . And it was only $400 !

#50 9 days ago
Quoted from oldbaby:

Not so. One of the local guys here has successfully remade one from scratch. I posted it in the Whitewater club thread.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 10,600.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 10,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Jackson, MICHIGAN
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 49.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
System-J

$ 65.00
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-toppers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.