Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

a791a53e6d90aa642940552b34a4f653 (resized).jpg
A89F40C4-65B2-440E-AFB0-EC623B2E695E.gif
DSC00995 (resized).JPG
DSC00993 (resized).JPG
APparty (resized).jpg
Barry Os BBQ Challenge v24.07.04  (resized).jpg
Barry-O's-BBQ-Challenge-Game-RULES_1.0_June-2024.pdf (PDF preview)
american (resized).jpg
Busters (resized).jpg
IMG_3845 (resized).jpeg
giphy-4.gif
Mug1 (resized).jpg
Mug2 (resized).jpg
SmartSelect_20240629_110726_Chrome (resized).jpg
dancing_AP_fix.gif
Screenshot_20240519_130309_Twitch (resized).jpg
There are 1,424 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 29.
#1201 63 days ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

I'm mad at AP (I have friends that work there btw) and pinsiders who like original themes, but I'm touting the ninja game? Make up your mind people. What makes more sense? I have some sort of AgEnDa (lmfao) or I'm simply calling things like (and seemingly 99% of everyone else) see it? If you notice my last post in the ninja eclipse thread, you'll see me cautioning people not to go in on it due to being a brand new company. Yeah, the ninja game is better than BBQ in every single way, but at least I know if I ordered a BBQ I wouldn't have to worry about receiving it. Freakin comical lmao.

I won’t buy either, but Ninja looks like a way better game and great animations. BBQ’s are garbage and look how long they have been making games and their last two games have been crap.

You can’t count LOV since they only manufactured it. Sad people think it’s so hard to secure an IP. Hot Wheels was not a hard one to get and they made the animations look like a preschool TV show.

Fix is horrible and needs to be fired. But he apparently has some dirt on someone because he hasn’t had a hit under his belt.

#1202 62 days ago

i got a chance to check it out on location today and played a couple of games. not a big fan of the cabinet art but it does fit with the theme; i was fine with the audio and animations. i liked the shots, though it has the most traditional-appearing layout of any AP title. felt solid, nice flipper action. would i buy one? probably not, but that goes for almost all of the new games coming out. would i drop quarters in one again? certainly.

#1203 62 days ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

I won’t buy either, but Ninja looks like a way better game and great animations. BBQ’s are garbage and look how long they have been making games and their last two games have been crap.
You can’t count LOV since they only manufactured it. Sad people think it’s so hard to secure an IP. Hot Wheels was not a hard one to get and they made the animations look like a preschool TV show.
Fix is horrible and needs to be fired. But he apparently has some dirt on someone because he hasn’t had a hit under his belt.

This anger and hostility - you’ve got to get over it, it’s not healthy! I recommend you head over to the Stern Pinball homepage, they have a new pinball game themed around the very popular John Wick movies. I think it might be more to your liking. It has a very conventional fan layout, it has lots of footage from the movies and I think it will help you forget about the AP pin.

#1204 62 days ago
Quoted from branlon8:

This anger and hostility - you’ve got to get over it, it’s not healthy! I recommend you head over to the Stern Pinball homepage, they have a new pinball game themed around the very popular John Wick movies. I think it might be more to your liking. It has a very conventional fan layout, it has lots of footage from the movies and I think it will help you forget about the AP pin.

I wouldn’t concern yourself with him, he has nothing positive to say about anything, and he’s a local d bag that nobody can stand.

#1205 62 days ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

I've played em both and ninja blows BBQ away, but yeah I'm not buying either one. After the things I have heard though good luck to anyone buying AP games unless they have a major overhaul around that place.

#1206 62 days ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

This is a take more absurd than the existence of the game itself

Does the world also revolve around you and your opinion? Just curious.

#1207 62 days ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Does the world also revolve around you and your opinion? Just curious.

Yes. That is why this site exists. For me to write my opinion and for everyone else to silently read it.

#1208 62 days ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:

This is a take more absurd than the existence of the game itself

You’re right . It’s not the people who dont really like pinball who who are incessantly ragging on every new game and concept - it’s the people who take it too seriously . It’s a game . It’s whimsical . Some like Uno , some Like Monopoly , & some like Clue . Rarely does a fan of one spend their time trying to convince people how shitty the other games are - that’s just weird . They simply don’t play them . But in pinball …… that’s not the case . I tend to like most machines - even ones I would never own . Even after I play a shitty EM I usually walk away happy and with some degree of appreciation for it .
They’re just games . If you don’t like it dont play it .

3 weeks later
#1210 38 days ago

22 days between posts in a hype thread. Next?

#1211 38 days ago
Quoted from Roostking:

22 days between posts in a hype thread. Next?

way to break the streak

#1212 38 days ago

I didn't bring hype for BBQWTF, I brought it for NEXT! That's the one!

#1213 38 days ago

I wonder what the total production on this will end up being?

#1214 38 days ago
Quoted from Only_Pinball:

I wonder what the total production on this will end up being?

I estimate they've made a total of 50. <30 have homes. Total run <100? (evenly split between LE and standard?)

is the baked beans apron limited to the LE? I like how they aren't afraid to mix stock photography with hand drawn artwork.

#1215 38 days ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

I estimate they've made a total of 50. <30 have homes. Total run <100? (evenly split between LE and standard?)
is the baked beans apron limited to the LE? I like how they aren't afraid to mix stock photography with hand drawn artwork.

They've never been afraid of having jarringly contrasting art styles on games, its always nice when you get a package that at least flows together like GTF did.

#1216 37 days ago

I know of at least 4 of these in my surrounding location. 3 in private collections and 1 on location. Hell, I even won a recent pinball tournament killing it on one of these.

#1217 37 days ago
Quoted from tgarrett09:

I know of at least 4 of these in my surrounding location. 3 in private collections and 1 on location. Hell, I even won a recent pinball tournament killing it on one of these.

Yeah you did! We have your name plate by the way. Did Brandon get a hold of u?

#1218 37 days ago
Quoted from Habermania:

Yeah you did! We have your name plate by the way. Did Brandon get a hold of u?

Haha yup! I got it!

#1219 31 days ago

I just read that BBQ was designed specifically to be white/private labelled and reused for any vanity group, rock band, or commercial owner. Apparently it is shopped to prospects to do just that in small batches. So if true, the BBQ theme is simply a placeholder to show how it works. Can’t wait to see “Britney Goes Wild” or “Snap-On Toolshow”

#1220 30 days ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:Can’t wait to see “Britney Goes Wild”

Dream theme!

#1221 27 days ago

I got a chance to play BOBC at YEGPIN this past weekend, and it was actually pretty decent. Really well built, flippers felt strong, didn’t notice it down once the entire day I was there (unlike Loony Tunes, which was constantly down). The light show is great, and it’s a nice easy layout. Both my wife and I are beginner skill level, so it was fun for us, but this would get old super quick! Oktoberfest was also at the show, and likewise that was an awesomely built game and played well throughout the day.

That said, I would never buy this because the theme totally sucks, this needed more time to bake, or a licensed theme. The LCD is really poorly used, this would have been the perfect theme for a DMD. As others have mentioned, the art direction on this is so poor, who thought this was a good idea?

#1222 27 days ago
Quoted from EhEhRon:

I got a chance to play BOBC at YEGPIN this past weekend
<snip>
As others have mentioned, the art direction on this is so poor, who thought this was a good idea?

David. Fix. It all comes to his feet.

Any questions why AP is flailing?

dancing_AP_fix.gifdancing_AP_fix.gif
#1223 26 days ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

I just read that BBQ was designed specifically to be white/private labelled and reused for any vanity group, rock band, or commercial owner. Apparently it is shopped to prospects to do just that in small batches. So if true, the BBQ theme is simply a placeholder to show how it works. Can’t wait to see “Britney Goes Wild” or “Snap-On Toolshow”

Not sure if there is much of a market for branded pins.

I generally like the quality of AP, I play their older games on location locally. I wish they could get their act together and pump out a couple of good themes. No Cuphead is not a good theme.

#1224 26 days ago
Quoted from kool1:

Not sure if there is much of a market for branded pins.
I generally like the quality of AP, I play their older games on location locally. I wish they could get their act together and pump out a couple of good themes. No Cuphead is not a good theme.

Meh. You're getting more with a BOBBQ layout than Stern's Primus/Can Crusher/Whoa Nelly layout. I could see it working for properties that aren't big enough to get a cornerstone pin.

It's potentially not a bad plan for a second tier pin company, but for that to work, Fix HAS to go. No way I'd sign up with AP if he came in, were I management for a successful (but not too successful) music group or IP. His rap just reeks of BS in every video I've seen.

#1225 24 days ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Meh. You're getting more with a BOBBQ layout than Stern's Primus/Can Crusher/Whoa Nelly layout. I could see it working for properties that aren't big enough to get a cornerstone pin.
It's potentially not a bad plan for a second tier pin company, but for that to work, Fix HAS to go. No way I'd sign up with AP if he came in, were I management for a successful (but not too successful) music group or IP. His rap just reeks of BS in every video I've seen.

Thats quite true, but I wonder if Stern is even offering that design anymore. The last 3 (maybe more?) branded Sterns were all based on the home pin layout shared with Star Wars and Spiderman home. I'd argue BBQ technically has more features than those still but its much closer and the home layout is actually decently fun.

If Stern decided it wanted to do something more with the JP home layout, and I wouldn't be surprised if they did, well now we have a real close call. I certainly enjoyed the short times I've spent with SW home and JP home much more than BBQ, but I still need to play a BBQ with the flipper strength cranked way up and see how much that livens up the game.

#1226 24 days ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

If Stern decided it wanted to do something more with the JP home layout, and I wouldn't be surprised if they did, well now we have a real close call. I certainly enjoyed the short times I've spent with SW home and JP home much more than BBQ, but I still need to play a BBQ with the flipper strength cranked way up and see how much that livens up the game.

I'd pay money for a branded JP home edition, depending on the theme. The layout is really good and it deserves a unique theme and a real Stern cabinet to go in.

#1227 24 days ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Thats quite true, but I wonder if Stern is even offering that design anymore. The last 3 (maybe more?) branded Sterns were all based on the home pin layout shared with Star Wars and Spiderman home.

Probably right. Primus was the last pin on the "Whoa Nellie" style setup, and Heavy Metal was the first private label pin on the Spiderman Home layout about 2 years later. It's probably what Stern's going with moving forward.

The JP Home is a more interesting layout, so maybe Stern can private label whichever layout (Spiderman Home or JP Home) the client wants?

#1228 24 days ago

Who does programming for bbq ?

Who thinks the Barry grid is programmed well??

To me its Nauseating, Flickery and changes letters to fast, looks totally different from the rest of the controlled lamps. One of the things i liked very much about GTF was the smooth insert lighting, this barry grid is trash .

#1229 23 days ago
Quoted from CNKay:

Who does programming for bbq ?
Who thinks the Barry grid is programmed well??
To me its Nauseating, Flickery and changes letters to fast, looks totally different from the rest of the controlled lamps. One of the things i liked very much about GTF was the smooth insert lighting, this barry grid is trash .

Joel Schober and Casey Butler coded it, and the rules were thought up by Steve Bowden.

Quoted from PinMonk:

Probably right. Primus was the last pin on the "Whoa Nellie" style setup, and Heavy Metal was the first private label pin on the Spiderman Home layout about 2 years later. It's probably what Stern's going with moving forward.
The JP Home is a more interesting layout, so maybe Stern can private label whichever layout (Spiderman Home or JP Home) the client wants?

Yep and then Supreme, and then the NFT game. Am I missing any others?

#1230 23 days ago

Nerdy point of order, Spider-Man Home and Supreme are the same layout. That layout is not the same as Star Wars Home, Heavy Metal, and the NFT. They're similar, but the are significant differences at the left ramp area and the midfield side targets. Carry on

#1231 23 days ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Nerdy point of order, Spider-Man Home and Supreme are the same layout. That layout is not the same as Star Wars Home, Heavy Metal, and the NFT. They're similar, but the are significant differences at the left ramp area and the midfield side targets. Carry on

thats true and a good point

#1232 22 days ago

Gotta be honest here, I don't get the hate this game gets.
Played a couple of games yesterday and really enjoyed it a lot. It has a more laid back approach and overall feel (eventhough its really fast) which generally ticks all the boxes for me.
You have tons of references to Barry's older designs and the overall flow is great.

They'll have to tinker with the code a bit but tbh it's pretty much there already, GTF had more of a buggy code in the beginning.

What I don't get is the asset bashing as I've basically never really focused on the backbox screen too much and even when I did, it's not that the grilled food is unappetising.
Given that the game is based around barbecues, what would you put on the screen? Most certainly not salad tossing.

API has made huge steps towards the right direction for me starting with HotWheels and BBQ with a wave of games with simpler lay outs and less flashy toys everywhere should hit the market on the spot IMHO.
That's probably a me thing as well since I usually like the "oddball" games more than the millionth Marvel/Disney license theme slapped of a mix of the last 3 designs packed into one.

But since it's API it's completely independent of what it is and how it plays as long as people can bash Fix and call the games shitshows... get over that already.

#1234 22 days ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

Fixx on pinball news said they had to let go of their art department. The reason being the next two titles are licensed and have their own artwork like HotWheels.
So any talk of rethemeing this game is another lie. Unless they ship you an all white generic game and you do the art yourselves. Remember, "No art department".

SmartSelect_20240629_110726_Chrome (resized).jpgSmartSelect_20240629_110726_Chrome (resized).jpg
#1235 22 days ago
Quoted from zFabi:

Gotta be honest here, I don't get the hate this game gets..

It’s horrible in every way; theme, execution, layout, feel, sound, music, animations, game play, concept, etc.

The entire project is a complete embarrassment and most people have figured this out. I’ve heard they’ve sold well south of 100.

Do you get it now?

#1236 22 days ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It’s horrible in every way

yup, thanks, that certainly clarifies it for me!

#1237 22 days ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

Fixx on pinball news said they had to let go of their art department. The reason being the next two titles are licensed and have their own artwork like HotWheels.
So any talk of rethemeing this game is another lie. Unless they ship you an all white generic game and you do the art yourselves. Remember, "No art department".[quoted image]

Six different animators (one full time, rest part time) did work on Hot wheels in addition to the hot wheels city footage. That was in addition to the artist who did the cabinet, playfield and backglass. Having assets from a license does not mean you don’t need an animation team or an artist.

#1238 22 days ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

So any talk of rethemeing this game is another lie. Unless they ship you an all white generic game and you do the art yourselves. Remember, "No art department".[quoted image]

I don’t know who lies more, David Fix or Damien from Haggis. That being said, at least American is delivering a small amount of games for whomever is buying

#1239 22 days ago

Party coming up July 14th noon to 10pm. All six American Pinball machines on free play. Play one game on each one and you get a mug until they run out. Famous Dave's ribs around 6pm.

Should be a fun day.

LTG : )

Mug1 (resized).jpgMug1 (resized).jpgMug2 (resized).jpgMug2 (resized).jpg
#1240 22 days ago
Quoted from rosh:

Six different animators (one full time, rest part time) did work on Hot wheels in addition to the hot wheels city footage. That was in addition to the artist who did the cabinet, playfield and backglass. Having assets from a license does not mean you don’t need an animation team or an artist.

This is OBVIOUS to anyone with critical thinking ability. There's still an entire UI that is graphical that has to be built around the licensed assets. The graphics in BOBBQ that are all over the place and swing from stock BBQ video to graphics that look like something that was doodled on a napkin and NONE of it is harmonious is what happens when you don't value artists in your project and have no artist or art director.

#1241 22 days ago
Quoted from zFabi:

Gotta be honest here, I don't get the hate this game gets.
Played a couple of games yesterday and really enjoyed it a lot. It has a more laid back approach and overall feel (eventhough its really fast) which generally ticks all the boxes for me.
You have tons of references to Barry's older designs and the overall flow is great.
They'll have to tinker with the code a bit but tbh it's pretty much there already, GTF had more of a buggy code in the beginning.
What I don't get is the asset bashing as I've basically never really focused on the backbox screen too much and even when I did, it's not that the grilled food is unappetising.
Given that the game is based around barbecues, what would you put on the screen? Most certainly not salad tossing.
API has made huge steps towards the right direction for me starting with HotWheels and BBQ with a wave of games with simpler lay outs and less flashy toys everywhere should hit the market on the spot IMHO.
That's probably a me thing as well since I usually like the "oddball" games more than the millionth Marvel/Disney license theme slapped of a mix of the last 3 designs packed into one.
But since it's API it's completely independent of what it is and how it plays as long as people can bash Fix and call the games shitshows... get over that already.

Actually, a salad tossing video might give this game a shot in the rump roast it needs.

#1242 22 days ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Actually, a salad tossing video might give this game a shot in the rump roast it needs.

A&E's 60 Days In:The Pin.

#1243 22 days ago

Self inflicted pain is what you are inviting ! Only you could handle that.

#1244 22 days ago
Quoted from NevadaNutJob:

You’re right . It’s not the people who dont really like pinball who who are incessantly ragging on every new game and concept - it’s the people who take it too seriously . It’s a game . It’s whimsical . Some like Uno , some Like Monopoly , & some like Clue . Rarely does a fan of one spend their time trying to convince people how shitty the other games are - that’s just weird . They simply don’t play them . But in pinball …… that’s not the case . I tend to like most machines - even ones I would never own . Even after I play a shitty EM I usually walk away happy and with some degree of appreciation for it .
They’re just games . If you don’t like it dont play it .

Yet you frequent pinside with a lengthy post about taking the hobby too serious. If you're on here your past the point of "these are just games".... an addict like the rest of us. Get off your soap box my friend, accept it, and go check out the closest mirror to you.

#1245 22 days ago
Quoted from Roostking:

giphy-4.gifgiphy-4.gif

#1246 22 days ago
Quoted from LTG:

Party coming up July 14th noon to 10pm. All six American Pinball machines on free play. Play one game on each one and you get a mug until they run out. Famous Dave's ribs around 6pm.
Should be a fun day.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Wish I could be there Lloyd. Hope it goes great!

#1247 21 days ago

I'm no longer young & carefree enough to drive 12 hours round trip for 10 hours of pinball, BUT... if you live even remotely close to SS Billiards, definitely check out Lloyd's party. He was there in the lean times 20 years ago, when I was thrilled to take any trip just to find some pinball on location, and fellow knuckleheads to play it with.

#1248 21 days ago
Quoted from yancy:

He was there in the lean times 20 years ago, when I was thrilled to take any trip just to find some pinball on location, and fellow knuckleheads to play it with.

I'll be forever glad you were able to make it. Fun times !

#1249 19 days ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Do you get it now?

Nope, but hey that's your opinion on the game.
You don't like it? That's totally fine.
I like it? Should be fine as well.

I'd say give then some time to get the Code dialed in and give it another shot, maybe you'll like it better then.
Had a similar experience with Batman 66 and Rush, didn't do anything for me first but is a blast to play now.

#1250 19 days ago

Jack Danger was kind enough to showcase the upcoming code update for Barry O's BBQ -- you can watch rules master Steve Bowden show how it's done.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/2186915755

Public release of the code update should be coming very soon.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 6,995.00
$ 8,495.99
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 8,495.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 6,995.99
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 8,495.00
$ 8,495.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

There are 1,424 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 29.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.