tumblr_mqrjcr1SMr1sczn81o1_500 (resized).png
882c85a1d870bd475ad07c5f50a094b4 (resized).jpg
IMG_1997.gif
e60a79b25294c8047ccdbdf7b8146d5b7b87be5743d3c61f3842c3dbaa68af87 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
tootsie pop (resized).jpg
Kaneda on pinside (resized).jpg
IMG_7639 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sorokyl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#168 71 days ago

After multiple mediocre machines , following the sales disaster of GTF with a game you claim you will donate all profits of (are "royalties" the same as "profits" or are we being bamboozled...) I am convinced American Pinball is a front for some illegal operation and not a legitimate business.

#325 70 days ago

Any toys in this game, or mechs more unique than pop bumper and scoop?

#381 69 days ago
Quoted from Mank:

As one of the only people in this thread who have actually PLAYED BBQ, and not just looked at a picture and made all sorts of judgments, I thought I’d post my thoughts. I stepped up to the game with no expectations what so ever, not because I was hoping to not like it, but because I’m pretty sure I had never played an American Pinball pin before. The LEDs and the playfield are nice and bright. The flippers are strong, and stayed strong the whole game and through multiple games. The call-outs were good. The ramp shots are super satisfying. Multiball locks were excellent. There are plenty of good shots. Tons of meat references. It’s not a drain monster, and there are all sorts of tributes to Barry O. What’s not to love?
IT’S A REALLY GOOD GAME.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

First pic I thought was GTF looking at a playfield blanketed in purple GI. Purple GI not what I really think when I think BBQ..

I do think that sterns lighting system (and most things about pinball lighting) are archaic and need to change, but GI that cycles through blanketing the whole game in colors does not seem the way to go. You can't appreciate the artwork as much. You change the vibe of the whole game.

Then again I'm a guy that replaces his GI to warm white in every game and shuns the RGB GI kit for his MMR (but I did add 10 extra warm white lights, probably the brightest MMR without pin stadiums). Overdone RGB GI takes the nostalgia out of pinball for me.

I wouldn't mind if it was done more tastefully, or if you did something more interesting than "all purple!" Now all green!". Maybe I'm in the minority.

#396 69 days ago

I guess we just bitched a little too much about all the 3d printed toys in GTF that they said "ok fuck it, not one single toy/sculpt/mech next time"

#422 68 days ago
Quoted from King_ci:

Just played it , it's kool definitely not bad at all for the price point @ 6,999. It's definitely giving stern a run for they money
[quoted image][quoted image]

In what way is it giving stern a run for their money? Killer theme? Artwork? Unique layout ? deep code? The animations? The toys/mechs? (If you can't beat a stern pro for toys/mechs just don't make a pinball machine please). Speaker panel. Ok they've had two bomb ass speaker panels in a row I'll give em that one.

#440 68 days ago
Quoted from JakeFAttie:

, the charitable aspect,

There is no charitable aspect. Royalties are a payment. They are due, not given. You want to put someone's likeness on something, you have to pay them or their family(unless they give it away but why).

Do AP designers sometimes get paid per game sold anyway? Maybe(I think that would be commission not royalties though) anyway, may be another aspect of it.

That they spun this as a good deed is kinda lame.

#475 68 days ago

Does Joe sixpack and his friends not like jaws or James Bond? I mean clearly not because he didn't buy those pins for 7k. But meat. Man those clips of LIVE ACTION meat cooking. That's what's going to make him the envy of the cul de sac.

#640 62 days ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Dit didn't have any crazy mechs in it, just clean classic pinball.

"Clean classic pinball, at modern pinball prices!"
AP you guys can have that tagline for free (since I know you hate licensing fees)

Did Barry's white wood have a screen in the middle of the playfield? I know people appreciate the practicality of that, but it kills the Pinball vibe for me. I wouldn't even want one in my modern machines. if the selling point is "it's just time a 40 year old machine" don't put a screen in it.

#661 61 days ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

*pushes up nerd glasses* Minecraft uses voxels not pixels

"Pushes up glasses higher". The 3D blocks in minecraft are voxels. The textures applied to those blocks has a pixelated style. For example you can apply a different texture pack which has higher resolution and does not have the same pixelated style.

#694 61 days ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

Well sure, but it has to be more than that.
No one throws away money for no reason on a sustained basis.
There's a human element here somewhere. A relationship with Fix..... the son or nephew learning "Business".... or whatever this factor is, it's real.
Maybe that glue is Fix, and if it is...... then the company is alive because of him. Maybe it's something else...... but there's better tax write-offs than propping up AP. It sure isn't a good bet unless there's some sort of 5 year plan to win that the guy with money believes in. Someone has to sell that story, and I guess that's Fix also.
It's very interesting to ponder, not that we'll know the truth for many years if not never.

I don't think we have to see the books to know that GTF and BBQ are financial failures. AP won't be alive in a year without continued cash infusion.

If you think that GTF and BBQ are part of some -valid- 5 year plan to "win", i dunno what to tell you man. The writing is on the wall. Dude can keep infusing cash as long as he wants (and making bad decisions like developing his own pinball controller for his company that makes < 400 games a year), but it's painfully clear that the current AP leadership doesn't get "it".

#700 60 days ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

What I think is happening (and could be totally, 100% wrong)..... is I believe Fix thinks he's building a pinball "machine": i.e. a process to making machines.
In just about every video I've seen with him over the years, he's talking about process, and about having all the "parts" to making pinball machines. Either inventory to do it, how many "lines" they have, the ability to make circuit boards, how their parts are "Better", etc...... it's always about the eventual ability to produce something, not what they're able to produce now (or if it's even desired). To him that's not the point: theoretical capability is what matters.
I think he believes that "someday" this machine will be complete and then they'll be profitable instantly since there will be some production advantage that no one (besides Stern) has.

That just doesn't make any sense.
Barrels of Fun shows up out of nowhere, has no bigger company backing them. Release a licensed game that everyone loves, and 3 months later is making more games a week than AP has been able to for the last 3 years.

So if David Fix is ignoring making a good product and instead focusing on the process, he's still doing a shit job at it. And that doesn't make any sense anyway. You can do both at the same time..

#725 60 days ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

I doubt they sold 35. GTF sales are lucky to be in high double digits. But Fix said they were getting 50 calls a week for deluxe GTF.

Gtf has sold about 2-300. Imo it's a better theme, infinitely better art, better assets(can't believe I'm saying that!), has (shitty) toys, and has the crazy tank thing which sold them at least 15 units. Hell they sold multiple 17k deluxe units!

If BBQ has done anything it made GTF look better in comparison. GTF also came out at the tailend of the post-covid pinball boom. If it came out today sales would not be as good.

2 weeks later
#903 45 days ago
Quoted from gjm7777:I played it there last week, and the back leg levelers were completely flat - the game was so floaty you couldn't even make the ramps.
I'd be surprised if the game had a pitch above 3.0

I am a pinball neophyte but I did take physics a few times. How does a low pitch make ramps harder?? Should be "the steeper the playfield, the more force required for ball to reach ramp apex"

#926 41 days ago
Quoted from LTG:

I don't know if it was.
And power at the factory may be different from where it's put. Which is why many manufacturers usually make coils adjustable.
LTG : )

Many manufacturers are smart enough to crank up the settings for show games and make sure their games are playing well before sending them out. As he said in his review, no other games had problems. but AP. AP is speeeshal. Like when they drove a GTF down the street to Jack Dangers for a stream and it just didn't work, they had to pull the glass off 12 times.

Regarding the super weak flippers. I wonder if the new aimtron board is partially to blame. Hey maybe like JJP they'll let you pay $400 for a new IO board once they figure it out in 5 years.

2 weeks later
#1057 23 days ago

I totally get that some people are positive natured and maybe just love pinball and every pinball machine is a fun pinball machine.
But if your money is burning a hole in your pocket and you've got to go buy a NIB new pinball machine, there are at least 20 titles sitting in warehouses right now.
I refuse to believe there are more than like a dozen people on this planet who would choose this over all of them.
You want fun original theme? Buy a Cactus Canyon! Or even a GTF.

#1088 20 days ago
Quoted from branlon8:

Really? - Two saucers with added functionality, two ramps, two lanes to the pops, mushroom targets inside the pop lanes, target bank in the center, drop targets… - maybe orher stuff.. there must be at least 10 things to shoot for from left to right.

don't mind him. He's been playing too much Foo Prem, were there are 26 things to shoot at.

#1093 20 days ago
Quoted from danarchy:

they USED TO make a good dependable pin, up until about 1/2 way through Hotwheels since then API's quality has been pretty bad.

Yeah, go the GTF thread and try to tell the owners there that late-stage AP has good or even acceptable quality or warranty service.

#1177 15 days ago
Quoted from blueberryjohnson:Didn't it launch in more locations than this? Were those temporary promotional loaners?

heard somewhere that AP basically said "Hey let us put your game at the location for a bit. If you want to keep it, we'll give you a discount"
The launch locations had NOT already bought the game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 6,995.00
Machine - For Sale
Lewiston, ME
$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 8,495.00
$ 8,495.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

7,495 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 8,495.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sorokyl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/barry-o-s-barbecue-challenge-hype?tu=sorokyl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.